Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.
Since there were no bites in the metal thread, anyone know of any bands with a similar sound to Enthroned? I've been listening to Towards The Skullthrone of Satan a lot recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Morbid Florist posted:

I'd never heard of these guys before this all started here so I took a listen to their myspace tracks. The hate is justified. There's almost no black metal to be heard and what IS heard is a mix of pop metal and crying.

I'm curious in what reality pop metal exists; as far as I'm concerned, the two don't mix.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Razor posted:

I'm curious in what reality pop metal exists; as far as I'm concerned, the two don't mix.

Voyager - uniVers is what I'd call pop metal, in addition to hair metal like GnR and Skid Row.

This has nothing to do with BM, though.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
I'm looking to expand my atmospheric black metal collection, but I've never heard anything by Paysage d'Hiver. Where should I start?

Also, is there anything else that's similar to Walknut? I can't explain how much I love their LP.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Unacknowledged posted:

I'm looking to expand my atmospheric black metal collection, but I've never heard anything by Paysage d'Hiver. Where should I start?

Self-titled, Schattengang, and Winterkalte are all great IMO. The self-titled has Welt Aus Eis on it so you should get that one.

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 23, 2020

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

pugna posted:

Drudkh, Hate Forest, Astrofaes, Wodensthrone, Wolves in the Throne Room, Darkspace, Coldworld

And Burzum. :v:

Also Wigrid. And maybe Ruins of Beverast.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

pugna posted:

Drudkh, Hate Forest, Astrofaes, Wodensthrone, Wolves in the Throne Room, Darkspace, Coldworld

Good list, I've got most of that but I'll take another look at Hate Forest. I checked them out years ago and it didn't grasp me then. Wodensthrone is new to me, thanks for the recommendations!

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I feel like I'm really loving late to the party here, but I just picked up Black Shining Leather by Carpathian Forest, and holy poo poo does this album rule.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Razor posted:

Check out Pin-Up Went Down, that's pretty poppy.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

pugna posted:

I was just browsing around Myspace and I came across another band to add to this list, Draugnim. I think they sound loving amazing to be honest.

https://www.myspace.com/draugnim

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Draugnim sounds good, kinda like Summoning if they were more black metal.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Not Very Metal posted:

I feel like I'm really loving late to the party here, but I just picked up Black Shining Leather by Carpathian Forest, and holy poo poo does this album rule.

Carpathian Forest owns. I really like the bass sound on most of their albums, it's clear and high in the mix. Adds a lot to the songs.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Totally agree. The mix on this disc is great, and I enjoy their overall sound - kind of punkish, kind of straight rock. It's great, and I'll be picking up more for sure. Any suggestions on where to go next?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I have a question regarding Mayhem. I love Mysteriis dom Sathanas or whatever and was disappointed with the sound quality of their new album (although getting past that it's really a terrific, unique mass of evil) but I don't have any of their other albums. I've heard a few random tracks and they sound pretty good, and I know they don't have that wacky vocalist (Agrippa or whoever) on them, but are they worth buying? Which ones in particular? Opinions?

Also, Not Very Metal, you should check out Carpathian Forest's Live Perversions DVD. It's special.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

ElectricWizard posted:

He has a girlfriend (some chick he got pregnant, apparently), and I know a female friend of mine was messing around with him at some festival. He's been known to make out with Maniac (ex-Mayhem, Skitliv) onstage, but Maniac is also loving one of the chicks in Gallhammer. Attention whores, but not homosexuals. There are usually a lot of drugs involved in those live performances, as anyone who has seen Shining will be able to attest to.

Interestingly, Gaahl has never been known to make out with anyone during his performances. True fact.

He was kissing his guitarists when I saw him. And when I actually talked to him he was pretty nice. I was uncertain how it would be, going into that show having read all the poo poo about him that people have said, but it was actually a really solid performance with a really charismatic frontman and regardless of his supposed dickishness (which is almost certainly true), that is that.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

NicktheBishop posted:

I have a question regarding Mayhem. I love Mysteriis dom Sathanas or whatever and was disappointed with the sound quality of their new album (although getting past that it's really a terrific, unique mass of evil) but I don't have any of their other albums. I've heard a few random tracks and they sound pretty good, and I know they don't have that wacky vocalist (Agrippa or whoever) on them, but are they worth buying? Which ones in particular? Opinions?

There isn't that much to Mayhem but i like Wolf's Lair Abyss. You should also check out the live album Live In Leipzig and maybe Mediolanum Capta Est as well.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I was just browsing around Myspace and I came across another band to add to this list, Draugnim. I think they sound loving amazing to be honest.

https://www.myspace.com/draugnim

Draugnim aren't really black metal as such, but yeah they are very nice. I actually prefer their demo recording ("Sworn to Waves") to the sound/production they have on their full-length.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Blackenedfest featuring Mayhem, Marduk and others comes to Detroit June 13th at the Majestic. This time I double checked the bands to make sure no one is coming back from the dead to play a show.

http://www.myspace.com/blackenedfest

Nasty Kerm
Oct 28, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump
Welcome back to society after 16 years Varg Vikernes. I hope we get so see some new Burzum releases. \m/

Drudkh
Feb 17, 2009

by mons all madden
hopefully some mayhem fan will kill him.

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.
They might as well. According to him, he just wants to live on a farm somewhere in the countryside and write books. And, of course, wait for the coming apocalypse when most of society is destroyed then he and his pagan brothers will rebuild the world as it should be.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The latest Katharsis has some cool parts, nothing groundbreaking but its pretty solid.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Were are you getting that he has been released? I know on the official site it says he will be free 'soon' but not yet.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

AgentJotun posted:

Were are you getting that he has been released? I know on the official site it says he will be free 'soon' but not yet.

Vikernes? He's been free for a couple of months now. It was in the papers. Here's the Blabbermouth news item: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=120605

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Kaiho posted:

Vikernes? He's been free for a couple of months now. It was in the papers. Here's the Blabbermouth news item: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=120605

quote:

Jackson Rathbone, the teen heartthrob from "Twilight", has reportedly agreed to play Vikernes in the upcoming movie "Lords Of Chaos".

-____- gently caress that movie and any of the shits that enjoy it.

Though on topic, varg looks pretty god drat old now after spending what, 10~ years in prison?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Oh, thanks :)

Its good to hear that Varg will continue to make music. What kind of stuff it will be is any ones guess though. Maybe he will come up with something as groundbreaking as Burzum! (Let me dream.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Gvaz posted:

Though on topic, varg looks pretty god drat old now after spending what, 10~ years in prison?

Closer to 16 years. High schools today are full of pimply, masturbating kids who weren't even born at the time of the church burnings and stabbing. We're all getting god drat old.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

Groke posted:

Closer to 16 years. High schools today are full of pimply, masturbating kids who weren't even born at the time of the church burnings and stabbing. We're all getting god drat old.

Yes, because you had to be around when the music first came out to appreciate it.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Cold Day posted:

Yes, because you had to be around when the music first came out to appreciate it.

Groke was responding to the guy who said Varg must've been imprisoned for "10+ years"; he didn't say anything about having to have been alive back then to enjoy the music. But I take it you're in high school? Calm down, dude--we aren't all out to make fun of you kids.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

Razor posted:

Groke was responding to the guy who said Varg must've been imprisoned for "10+ years"; he didn't say anything about having to have been alive back then to enjoy the music. But I take it you're in high school? Calm down, dude--we aren't all out to make fun of you kids.

It looks as if he is, that's why the teenage kids were mentioned, I believe. No reason to get so defensive.

And no, I'm not in high school but I appreciate your attempt to condescend me.

Anyway. When is Carpathian Forest's new album coming out, its been in the works for years!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
[crossposted with Metal Thread]
I don't care how irrelevant Mayhem is nowadays, they put on a great show last night, and Attila Csihar is one of my favorite vocalists, so hey whatever \/:)\/

I took some high-res video, but Vimeo doesn't make it look very good:
http://vimeo.com/4812621
http://vimeo.com/4813361

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Cold Day posted:

Way to read something entirely different from what I wrote, dude.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
There's something about the drone thing in Clandestine Blaze's Intro/Destroyer of Nations (Crushing The Holy Trinity, Son). It sounds so supremely evil. I assume it's some kind of horn?

David Sirlin
Mar 28, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Gvaz posted:

Ahahaha this is going to own, Burzum's explosion in popularity among teen girls is going to own, all the metalheads spergin out over it is going to own.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

polarity posted:

Ahahaha this is going to own, Burzum's explosion in popularity among teen girls is going to own, all the metalheads spergin out over it is going to own.

ooh that varg he is like soooooooooooooo dreamy :black101: they better play Svarte Troner at prom next year

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 25, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gvaz posted:

I have those pants
Edit: hahahaha is that a picture of him glumly stomping on flowers

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 25, 2009

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Mudflap McDirt posted:

[crossposted with Metal Thread]
I don't care how irrelevant Mayhem is nowadays, they put on a great show last night, and Attila Csihar is one of my favorite vocalists, so hey whatever \/:)\/

I took some high-res video, but Vimeo doesn't make it look very good:
http://vimeo.com/4812621
http://vimeo.com/4813361

REALLY loving excited for this. But no Marduk you say? Boo.

also this:

Qu Appelle posted:

ooh that varg he is like soooooooooooooo dreamy :black101: they better play Svarte Troner at prom next year

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
While we're on metal movies, has anyone gotten to see Until the Light Takes Us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
Just a heads up, the new 1349 is horrible. I've never been so disappointed in recent memory.