Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
What's special about this picture?

Click here for the full 912x608 image.

Followup image, linked for suprise:

https://wi.somethingawful.com/20/209523c0d7f150b4db97258d3e62c53531243eb2.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Ola posted:

It helps prevent scary things like wheelies and cornering.

Wheelies arn't usually a problem on a ninja250.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Wheelies arn't usually a problem on a ninja250.

Turbokit and NAWS hidden behind fairing.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Z3n posted:

What's special about this picture?

Click here for the full 912x608 image.

Followup image, linked for suprise:

https://wi.somethingawful.com/20/209523c0d7f150b4db97258d3e62c53531243eb2.jpg

Rats, I thought it was 2-up.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ever wondered how a car tire really behaves on a bike? A guy on a Norwegian bike forum did these great vids of the tire at speed.

Bike tire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIfrFch-VqE

Car tire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwSSXHanpv0

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

Ever wondered how a car tire really behaves on a bike? A guy on a Norwegian bike forum did these great vids of the tire at speed.

quote:

flamewerks (4 weeks ago)
Reply | Spam
We've been running a Goodyear TTA on our Valk Cruiser. We like it so much we put the same tire on our Valk Interstate.

Great job on the video Dag.

:psyduck:

What the hell, they...completely missed the point.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't know, it doesn't look that bad. The tire deforms somewhat and the contact patch becomes wider than just the sharp edge of the tire you'll see in a diagram of horror about car tires. Apparently the Valkyries tend to munch through rear tires and this is a way to save money.

Some people have gone through tens of thousands of miles on them. It might be less grip but it doesn't mean instant death apparently.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Still, I was wincing every time they turned on the car tire. :ohdear:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Ola posted:

Good videos but nothing really surprising there. Folks tend to go to the "dark side" of car tires on big cruisers that don't lean much, so you don't have to worry about running out of contact patch with the square tire profile.

That said I bet steering effort goes up considerably. My friend has one on his Vulcan 2000 since it ate rear tires about every 2500 or 3000 miles and he rides quite a bit.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Z3n posted:

:psyduck:

What the hell, they...completely missed the point.

Either that's an awesome troll . . . or . . . oh dear god, I don't want to imagine the consequences, my brain may explode.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

I don't know, it doesn't look that bad. The tire deforms somewhat and the contact patch becomes wider than just the sharp edge of the tire you'll see in a diagram of horror about car tires. Apparently the Valkyries tend to munch through rear tires and this is a way to save money.

Some people have gone through tens of thousands of miles on them. It might be less grip but it doesn't mean instant death apparently.

If you keep the bike mostly upright, you're probably ok, but when he takes a corner at decent speed, he's already reaching the point that he's getting up on to the sidewall due to the weight of the bike focused on one point. I bet those people have some bizzaro wear patterns around the edges if the rear tire.

Also, the more you lean it, the more you're reducing your contact patch, so it's going to quickly fall off once you start to lose traction. I'd also be curious as to how it's going to feel to run those tires in the rain when you've only got 20-30% of the tread pushing water out of the way.

Then again, if you're not noticing the absolutely poo poo handling charactistics as you overcome the massive flatspot on the tire, you're probably not going to be riding it in such a fashion where it'd be a problem. :xd:

I don't think they'll instantly explode or anything, but I would never recommend or think that something like that was a good idea. But I just got done drilling holes in my triples, so maybe my judgement is flawed. :haw:

megazord
Jul 16, 2001

Too much yut not enough ughhhhhh

Kid practicing wheelies gets friendly with the asphalt. Notice he can't do a u-turn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMk_sjoUMqc

Silky Thighs
Aug 30, 2005

megazord posted:

Too much yut not enough ughhhhhh

Kid practicing wheelies gets friendly with the asphalt. Notice he can't do a u-turn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMk_sjoUMqc

That makes me sad, it's the same zx6r that i have:(.

(P.S always in the back of my head i want to learn how to wheelie, this just tells me why i should just keep it in the back of my head and not try it)

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Silky Thighs posted:

(P.S always in the back of my head i want to learn how to wheelie, this just tells me why i should just keep it in the back of my head and not try it)

I'd love to know how to wheelie, and I think it would be fun every so often, but I can't do it. There was a definite blank look moment when the guy at the garage warned me against wheelies; seems whomsoever installed the braided brake lines has made them a tad short, so they're all full stretch when I'm off the bike.

Then again I see a vid like that every time I'm even considering it, and then I scuttle away. Scuttle far away.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Silky Thighs posted:

i've done it a few times, very poorly, on my 440 2t which has the power:weight of a liter bike or so. every time i did it i came very close to crashing it. maybe with a less ridiculous engine it would be easier but i dunno.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Silky Thighs posted:

I've wheelied the Husky a few times just by accident. Basically when I first got it I didn't know proper dirtbike positioning and sat way back on the seat, meaning every time I gassed it from a light the front end came up and stayed there for a few seconds. Hopefully I can work up from the there little by little. I figure even if I damage the bike, years from now when I can wheelie at will it'll be worth it.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
This is probably the safest way to start to wheelie.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Orange Someone posted:

Then again I see a vid like that every time I'm even considering it, and then I scuttle away. Scuttle far away.

Same, I cant even imagine the sinking feeling when you see your bike destroyed half way down the road because of a bad wheelie.

That said I do love a good wheelie, waiting at some lights once a 08 1000 ninja pulled up next to me, gave me the thumbs up was still doing a wheelie a 1/4 mile down the road as my 4 stroke 125 wasnt even in third gear.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I don't think I could ever just wheelie down a public road like some of these people. I live on a dead end/private road and once and a while I'll pop the front up but if something happened no one would see. If I hosed up out in the open I'd feel like a real rear end.

edit: I'd probably get busted by a cop around here anyway :|

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Buhbuhj posted:

I don't think I could ever just wheelie down a public road like some of these people. I live on a dead end/private road and once and a while I'll pop the front up but if something happened no one would see. If I hosed up out in the open I'd feel like a real rear end.

edit: I'd probably get busted by a cop around here anyway :|

This is the biggest reason why I don't fool with wheelies. The first is that I'm a major pussy, afraid that I'll wad my bike. Next is the fact that Florida is really trying to crack down on stunting on public roads.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

I don't know. I've never like the idea of clutching wheelies up. I'd rather power it up.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

The video makes it look really easy. A lot of guys say to never use the clutch in first but it seems fine.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I learned to wheelie on my old Ninja 250, 9k clutch dumps SCARY. Now if I'm out in the back roads I'll just lay on the throttle in first to get her up. I've only done a second gear clutch up and my oil light came on so now I don't do wheelies because I don't have a deep oil sump and I worry enough about the bike

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Yeah, Buell's are supposed to be wheelie machines with all the torque, but I'm rather afraid of trashing it. :( Plus, with a low redline, first gear is very short. Overall, it just seems like a high probability of loving it up, and this is only my third season.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
I wish I was good at them, it just sucks because people make it seem so easy. Grrr!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm quite content with not doing wheelies. I've brought up the front a handful of times and each time I'm more concerned with what I'm doing to my front end than anything else.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Pictures from the 'Try-the-Track'

Can't wait to get a proper racing suit to really ride the track :D

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
So far I've only had one wheelie with the R1. I did it for several years with dirt bikes and such. However on the R1 it was not intentional. I just decided to find the rev limiter and I happened to lift the front wheel in the process...

Fake edit: As a disclaimer, I do have some area's around here that are fairly safe to practice/experiment in.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont even gently caress with full on headlight-in-the-sky wheelies. Firstly because I'd rather not wad the Bandit up if I lose it, and secondly, the local cops have come up with some way to charge around $800 for a wheelie ticket.

No thanks.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Carb sync yay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asM3kQWPmLM

I can't remember that new code for embed, but the sidebar text is actually informative anyway.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Pictures from the 'Try-the-Track'

Can't wait to get a proper racing suit to really ride the track :D

Put the ball of your feet on the pegs. ;)

Also, what is 'Try-the-Track'?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Ok I have teased enough here is some video of the new bike. You can see my sad excuse for a headlight (don't worry day driving only until I get the original set back up) As well as some of the body damage to the bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ8G8W0s3gg

Just as an FYI the bike was warmed up previous to this.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Phat_Albert posted:

and secondly, the local cops have come up with some way to charge around $800 for a wheelie ticket.

No thanks.

I'm pretty sure a wheelie would qualify under Ontario's "impound your loving vehicle right NOW" street racing laws so I haven't even explored the possibility. Besides, my bike is old as poo poo and its not fair to the old bastard to be asking for wheelies.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Put the ball of your feet on the pegs. ;)

Also, what is 'Try-the-Track'?

You get to go around the track here with an instructor as slow as piss for like 5 laps so you can gauge whether or not you want to invest another grand into gear + school + track days

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
One day about 5 years ago when I had my R6 I decided I was going to learn to do wheelies. I rode out to Vancouver Lake where they have this huge long road they usually street race on. I start out trying to bounce up 2nd gear. I spend about 10 minutes getting the front end just barely off the ground each time I would try and bring the thing up.

After doing that for awhile, I remember what someone told me about wrapping your wrist further over the throttle, like if you keep your hand in the normal position you ride in you are not giving enough throttle to the bike when you go to open it full throttle. So, without really thinking about it I roll my wrist forward over the throttle, grabbing the throttle in a position so when I roll it back, I am definitely getting full throttle.

I turn the bike around and get aimed down the road, bring it up to around 8k in 2nd gear and bounce the front and slam the throttle open. Before I could realize what was going on the front end was so far off the ground I was looking straight at the front tire. I wasn't at 12 but I was far higher than I had ever been. In a panic I chopped the throttle and the front came down HARD. With my hand wrapped over the throttle like it was, I also wasn't holding the handlebars straight.

When the bike came down it instantly started tank slapping. It slapped maybe 4 or 5 times almost instantly then my hand which was still wrapped far over the throttle pulled enough throttle to bring the front end back in the air, this time with me sitting down. At this point I let go of the throttle and the front end slams down again, this time without the tank slapping but with enough force to bring me forward in the seat.

I decided at that point to never try wheelies again on a street bike.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

One day about 5 years ago when I had my R6 I decided I was going to learn to do wheelies.

Im thinking of an R6 for my second bike, and when im daydreaming about it, this scenario always sneaks into the back of my mind, that or giving it to much throttle away from some lights and the bike just goes flying.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

fronkpies posted:

Im thinking of an R6 for my second bike, and when im daydreaming about it, this scenario always sneaks into the back of my mind, that or giving it to much throttle away from some lights and the bike just goes flying.

I don't think there is a 600 that would 'go flying' if you punched it hard leaving from a street light. It takes a while to build power on a 600 which is part of why I like it so much. Under 7k you have a very managable, docile bike. Get above 7k and things get nuts.

If I had it to do over again, I never would have sold my 2003 R6 and I would still own it. I will admit I got penis envy back when I started riding and moved to a 954rr simply for the number on the side of the bike. What a mistake, I never got comfortable enough on the 954rr as my R6 because the thing was so serious and powerful. I had been riding a couple years but I had no where near the experience to handle such a bike.

If you are ever thinking of getting a 03-05 R6 or one of the R6S models, they are great bikes. Mine handled so well and was extemely forgiving.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I don't think there is a 600 that would 'go flying' if you punched it hard leaving from a street light.

What? I'm pretty sure going WOT will do that on almost any bike much less a SS 600, it might now magically fly out from under you but the fury and speed of acceleration makes most poo poo their pants and drive straight into a guard rail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Stoic Commie posted:

I wonder if I can trade mine in for a new Honda...