Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argila
Oct 23, 2008
this might be a dumb question: can I duel boot this? or does it need to have a previous os to install over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Argila posted:

this might be a dumb question: can I duel boot this? or does it need to have a previous os to install over?

you can dual boot it, just install to a separate drive or partition

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Argila posted:

You can dual boot but just remember to install it on a partition without files from previous Windows versions. If you install it on a partition on which you have Windows installed or a "Program Files" -folder on it it'll move those files over to a folder called "Windows.old"

Argila
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks for the replies, I'll give this advice a shot.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Been a year or so since I reformatted, so I'm due for it. Awesome of MS to provide such a long RC! I was on the fence about Vista, and was running XP32, even though I have a 64-bit processor. Downloading Windows 7 64-bit! We'll see what happens! Exclamation marks!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Network posted:

I only have 2gb of ram right now, is it worth is to buy an extra stick of 1gb ram so I can run Windows 7 as smoothly as windows xp right now?

Win 7 runs just as well as XP on my netbook with 2gb of RAM. You could just install x64 windows 7 and buy like 4 more gb for all of $50 or whatever it costs nowadays.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb
Anyone know a good print server that's going to work with Win 7, preferably wireless?

queztal
Jan 19, 2009
I'm going to be installing Windows 7 64-bit on a new machine I'm building. I want to stick with my old Audigy 2 ZS sound card if I can, though, because it is the best cheap card I've used for recording. Is there any hope of using it with ASIO support, either through ASIO4ALL, some Creative drivers or with kX? So far all the looking I've done seems to show that it's iffy and garbled audio seems common. Maybe I should look for a more modern sound card that supports ASIO?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I know this sounds pretty trivial, but is there a way to get Sticky Notes to run invisibly in the background? I like the idea of having sticky notes on my desktop, since I have a habit of using the real thing on the edge of my monitor, but I don't like cluttering up my taskbar with the icon of something that would be running 24/7.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Bobulus posted:

I know this sounds pretty trivial, but is there a way to get Sticky Notes to run invisibly in the background? I like the idea of having sticky notes on my desktop, since I have a habit of using the real thing on the edge of my monitor, but I don't like cluttering up my taskbar with the icon of something that would be running 24/7.
Try Tomboy instead. It's really top notch and highly customisable.

Personally though, I use OneNote. Goddamn do Microsoft know how to make a good note taking app. It's the lynchpin of my writing day now.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I know this is a long shot, but is there any way to disable Games Explorer? It's really beginning to piss me off.

Firstly, my games dont have Start Menu entries anymore, so if I want to get to thing that used to live in a game's program group (like the manual or data editor etc.) I have to browse to the actual location via Explorer.

Also, I can't seem to pin game shortcutrs to the taskbar, which means a few extra clicks to get into Games Explorer instead and launch from there.

Of course, Games Explorer itself is already cluttered with all the poo poo card games that come with Windows so finding my stuff isnt as easy as it should be either.

So is there any way to stop Games Explorer eating all my games' start menu entries? Or at least a way to pin games to the taskbar?

EDIT: Hmm, it looks like its just Football Manager 2009 I can't pin to the taskbar for some reason. How strange...

Boyz Scout
Nov 3, 2006

No more pigeon rubbing? Life in the vault is about to change...
I skimmed the thread and read the OP, but I didn't see anything on a driver repository or anything in 7. I'll be going from XP Pro to Windows 7, and I've started looking up the Vista drivers for all my stuff just in case, but is there any sort of list I should check, or something in Windows 7 that'll help me along? Thanks.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

HVD posted:

I know this is a long shot, but is there any way to disable Games Explorer? It's really beginning to piss me off.

Firstly, my games dont have Start Menu entries anymore, so if I want to get to thing that used to live in a game's program group (like the manual or data editor etc.) I have to browse to the actual location via Explorer.

Also, I can't seem to pin game shortcutrs to the taskbar, which means a few extra clicks to get into Games Explorer instead and launch from there.

Of course, Games Explorer itself is already cluttered with all the poo poo card games that come with Windows so finding my stuff isnt as easy as it should be either.

So is there any way to stop Games Explorer eating all my games' start menu entries? Or at least a way to pin games to the taskbar?

EDIT: Hmm, it looks like its just Football Manager 2009 I can't pin to the taskbar for some reason. How strange...
Just pin the exe directly.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is the index search supposed to be limited to eight characters?

I was just searching for "Rainmeter" and "rainmete" displayed a hit, whereas "rainmeter" removed the result and showed zero hits.

Huh?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

wcagizmo posted:

I've got a D-Link DWA-142 running Netgear drivers on my Windows 7 64 bit build. Works perfectly fine. They can be found at TigerDirect.com and I just googled the drivers.

I had already gone back to Best Buy before you responded and got a Netgear WPN111NA, which worked fine for a while. Then I went away for about 24 hours and left my computer running, to come back and find that it had broken as well - the Network and Sharing Center was telling me that I was connected to the network, but had no Internet access. Downloaded the "newest" (October 2008) software/driver update from their website, which installed fine. However, as soon as I finished setting up the network connection with the wizard, the window disappeared, and there was no icon in my tray (though it was still running according to Task Manager). I have since killed the process and it's working ok (about an hour so far).

So, I guess something to add to the OP would be that the following drivers don't work with Windows 7 (x64):
Netgear driver 2.2.0.27 for WPN111.
Dynex driver for DX-BUSB.
IOgear GWU523 (although they claim they just don't have x64 drivers for it at all).

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I just finally made the switch from XP Pro to W7 (x86), and I'm having trouble gaining access to a lot of my own files, on account of "not having permission", even though my account is the administrator. This is true for some trivial folders, and some not-so-trivial folders. Anyone have any idea what might cause this? It would be really great if I could inject my old outlook .pst into this.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Sparkyhodgo posted:

Believe it or not, this could be a deal breaker for me.

Baldur's Gate 2 works just fine for me in 64 bit RC1. I didn't have to do anything special.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

I just finally made the switch from XP Pro to W7 (x86), and I'm having trouble gaining access to a lot of my own files, on account of "not having permission", even though my account is the administrator. This is true for some trivial folders, and some not-so-trivial folders. Anyone have any idea what might cause this? It would be really great if I could inject my old outlook .pst into this.

You have to take ownership of the files on your drive (i.e. associate them with your account). You'll have to look at the "Security" tab under properties, then play around with settings like "Owner" in the "Advanced" section. Your old PST file should be fine, but back it up before trying anything with that.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

queztal posted:

I'm going to be installing Windows 7 64-bit on a new machine I'm building. I want to stick with my old Audigy 2 ZS sound card if I can, though, because it is the best cheap card I've used for recording. Is there any hope of using it with ASIO support, either through ASIO4ALL, some Creative drivers or with kX? So far all the looking I've done seems to show that it's iffy and garbled audio seems common. Maybe I should look for a more modern sound card that supports ASIO?

ASIO shouldn't be a problem if your card supports it, I'm using a M-Audio Fast Track Pro with the Vista drivers and I can record.

killerrabbit
Feb 2, 2006

Storm- posted:

I have an Asus nForce4 motherboard, and noticed that the drivers on the Nvidia website are now legacy drivers that only go as far as Vista, no Win7. Same for Asus' website. Will Vista version work? Planning on using the 64-bit version, if it matters.

Otherwise I'm ready to upgrade, I don't really use any special programs or hardware that could cause me problems.

I have an Asus A8N-SLI Premium, an nForce 4 AMD board. 7100 installed without a hitch, the drivers are indeed included in the install. Also, as soon as I connected to Windows Update, it downloaded a bunch of drivers for other parts of the board-the RAID chipset, the onboard sound, both NICs, it was great and had no problems at all.

GroceryBagHead
Nov 28, 2000

Just installed it on my system. So far it looks good. Not like that shitheap of OS called Vista. My gigabit network card only operates at 100mbit for some reason though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hooah posted:

I had already gone back to Best Buy before you responded and got a Netgear WPN111NA, which worked fine for a while. Then I went away for about 24 hours and left my computer running, to come back and find that it had broken as well - the Network and Sharing Center was telling me that I was connected to the network, but had no Internet access. Downloaded the "newest" (October 2008) software/driver update from their website, which installed fine. However, as soon as I finished setting up the network connection with the wizard, the window disappeared, and there was no icon in my tray (though it was still running according to Task Manager). I have since killed the process and it's working ok (about an hour so far).

So, I guess something to add to the OP would be that the following drivers don't work with Windows 7 (x64):
Netgear driver 2.2.0.27 for WPN111.
Dynex driver for DX-BUSB.
IOgear GWU523 (although they claim they just don't have x64 drivers for it at all).

I have an issue with an Asus wireless USB dongle that seems to work fine under Win 7, but will not connect properly to my wireless network. However an old dodgey Netgear one will work and connect to my network. Still don't know why, and not even Ralink who do the chipset for the Asus have no answers.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

GroceryBagHead posted:

Just installed it on my system. So far it looks good. Not like that shitheap of OS called Vista.

:ssh: vista and 7 are very similar in many ways

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GroceryBagHead posted:

Just installed it on my system. So far it looks good. Not like that shitheap of OS called Vista. My gigabit network card only operates at 100mbit for some reason though.

Is the router or switch connected to it a gigabit version?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

big mean giraffe posted:

Because they weren't full of any malware and you could check the hashes against what people who had officially downloaded it posted to verify it's authenticity.

There's also the fact that a method like torrents is a more reliable method of downloading. I tried to download the beta directly from MS. The download speed was fine, but the file I got wouldn't install. I checked the hash, and it turned out it was wrong. If I downloaded it from MS again that would have been another 2+ gigs, but I just pointed a torrent at it and it was fixed in 5 minutes. It just had to download the pieces that had been botched.

There's a million reasons not to download from the MS site. I wish MS would kind of embrace torrents for the reliability issue. I realize they have more bandwidth than god, but it's worth nothing if people have to redownload. It's one thing the open source community has really gotten right, and companies like Blizzard also employ it well.

If MS provided an official torrent, I'd download from them in a heartbeat just to know the 2+ gigs I'm downloading don't have to be redownloaded if something goes wrong. Torrents are also a bit easier to resume, and you can also more easily set a download speed cap if that's your thing. A lot of people are used to managing torrents at this time from a separate program, but I don't think http download managers have quite the same penetration. Most people just aren't downloading 2+ gigabyte files regularly over http, but it's commonplace over torrents.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 17, 2009

GroceryBagHead
Nov 28, 2000

Joe Don Baker posted:

Is the router or switch connected to it a gigabit version?

Well, it was 1Gbit in WindowsXP now it's 100Mbit. I didn't move the machine or touched network cables. Just to make sure I used the same cable with my Macbook and it connects at 1Gbit. It's a Asus P5K so it has two Gigabit interfaces: Realtek(RTL8169) and Marvell Yukon(88E8056) and both of them connect only at 100Mbit.

This is kinda a big deal breaker for me.

Edit: Yes it's connected to a gigabit switch, of course.

Boyz Scout
Nov 3, 2006

No more pigeon rubbing? Life in the vault is about to change...
So I think I'm having some kindvof driver conflict. My network will not only not connect, but when I try to look into why it will not connect, the system crashes. It works in safe mode, however. Any ideas as to what could be up, or what I can do to fix this? I've got the default nVidia drivers for my board going (I don't have any drivers at all at the moment actually. I wasn't sure if I needed Vista drivers or what). Thanks for any help.

Also I'm randomly locking up. Nothing in particular is causing it, as far as I can tell. I formated my drive and went strait from XP to 7, and once again, I've got no drivers other than the ones Windows would have provided.

Boyz Scout fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 17, 2009

the_rhino
May 8, 2007

And then the LORD said unto them "Thou shall sit and thou shall spin."
Here's a dumb question, if I upgrade from Vista, am I going to have to reinstall all of my programs again, or does it do a OS upgrade, similar to how openSUSE and Ubuntu do it?

Nevermind, found the answer:

quote:

Yes. If you're running Windows Vista, you can install Window 7 RC without having to back up and reinstall your programs and data. But to be on the safe side, please do back up your data before you start.

the_rhino fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 17, 2009

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

GroceryBagHead posted:

Windows 7 is pretty much Vista R2. It's not like they are vastly different. Just some minor updates.

That being said, I went back to Vista on my primary system because I couldn't stand Windows 7. :3:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

ErIog posted:

There's also the fact that a method like torrents is a more reliable method of downloading. I tried to download the beta directly from MS. The download speed was fine, but the file I got wouldn't install. I checked the hash, and it turned out it was wrong. If I downloaded it from MS again that would have been another 2+ gigs, but I just pointed a torrent at it and it was fixed in 5 minutes. It just had to download the pieces that had been botched.

There's a million reasons not to download from the MS site. I wish MS would kind of embrace torrents for the reliability issue. I realize they have more bandwidth than god, but it's worth nothing if people have to redownload. It's one thing the open source community has really gotten right, and companies like Blizzard also employ it well.

If MS provided an official torrent, I'd download from them in a heartbeat just to know the 2+ gigs I'm downloading don't have to be redownloaded if something goes wrong. Torrents are also a bit easier to resume, and you can also more easily set a download speed cap if that's your thing. A lot of people are used to managing torrents at this time from a separate program, but I don't think http download managers have quite the same penetration. Most people just aren't downloading 2+ gigabyte files regularly over http, but it's commonplace over torrents.

Microsoft should do something like what Blizzard does.

Every WoW patch is on a Torrent tracker as well as HTTP. The Blizzard patcher that loads up is just a simplified BitTorrent client.

Microsoft should do the same thing. Offer an EXE download link to grab their customized torrent client (for those who just want to download the ISO and don't want to mess with anything else), AND offer a link to the .torrent file, for those who just want to use their already-installed Torrent client.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Network posted:

I only have 2gb of ram right now, is it worth is to buy an extra stick of 1gb ram so I can run Windows 7 as smoothly as windows xp right now?

I was initially running on 4GB, but it bugged out so I switched to 2x1GB. I can honestly not tell any difference.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

4 Day Weekend posted:

I was initially running on 4GB, but it bugged out so I switched to 2x1GB. I can honestly not tell any difference.

BIOS.

I went from XP 32 to Vista 64 some time back, and the computer lost its poo poo with 4 gigs in, until I updated my BIOS, and the system quickly recovered. So yeah, try updating your BIOS.

(Although it is nice that you can't tell the difference between 2 gigs and 4 yet.)

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

4 Day Weekend posted:

I have 8GB of ram (it was some good ram on a really loving good sale) and I don't think I've ever gone over half. It tends to stay around 37% usage, even with 64+ processes running at once.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I'd like to try this out on my laptop. What will happen if I upgrade from Vista 32bit to v7 64bit if my hardware only has 32bit drivers installed?

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Slimchandi posted:

I'd like to try this out on my laptop. What will happen if I upgrade from Vista 32bit to v7 64bit if my hardware only has 32bit drivers installed?

Read the OP. You can't upgrade a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I have a question about how dual booting will actually work.

I have Vista Ultimate installed on Drive A. It has MS Word installed.

I put Windows 7 on Drive B. It does not have MS Word installed.

Obviously I can navigate to Drive A if I boot into w7, but can I run word from there? or do I also have to install it on Drive B?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Obviously I can navigate to Drive A if I boot into w7, but can I run word from there? or do I also have to install it on Drive B?

For some programs, this will Just Work. However, Word is probably not one of those programs; you'd probably be better off installing it into Win7.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Wonder Weapon posted:

First off, I hope when you say "Drive A" and "Drive B" you mean those as placeholder names like "Exhibit A" and not "A:" and "B:".

And unfortunately, Word expects several files to be present in the Windows system folders, not to mention registry entries to handle the product key and numerous other functions. It won't run without being installed in Windows 7 (it'll give error messages when executed). Likewise, it's impossible to install any Microsoft Office program without considerable space being used on the system partition.

There are some programs where this trick will work, but it's generally not recommended unless you know for a fact the software is encapsulated. Have a go on Portableapps.com for some programs like that.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I installed the 64-bit and everything has been smooth except for one sort of problem with gpu throttling.

I've got an Nvidia Geforce 260 and under XP it would clock down to 300MHz (576 is normal) pretty much anytime I wasn't playing a game. I could even have a windowed game in background and it would clock down until I brought the game to the top.

Anyway, under 7 it will throttle to 300Mhz for a short time after boot. But eventually once it gets pushed to 576 it will not go back down until a reboot. During all of this my E8400 will throttle fine.

I've putzed with power options and a pair of diff drivers. Anyone else seeing this? Not really sure if it's 7 or the nvidia drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Ok, good to know. Thanks guys.