Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
My experience with the 95+ (S14) 240sx is that the exhaust/catalytic converter is routed right next to the driver side foot well, and thus right next to the transmission tunnel. Consequently, it gets very warm. I'm not exactly sure how the exhaust system is routed on the Miata, but this may be partly to blame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Someone on miata.net found that the warm temps are due to the seal at the rear of the hood being less than air tight; subsequently, hot air from the engine compartment is rammed right into the vent for the heater, so regardless of whether you want that air coming in or not, it does. His resolution was to fill the rubber seal with a thin foam window seal (something like what you'd use on the windows in your house). This would puff the seal up a bit and make it air-tight again.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
That doesn't really sound right seeing as the bottom of the windshield is a high pressure area. Anyway the issue he's talking about the bottom of the center console, not air coming out of the vents.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Right, there was cold air coming out of the vents. The center hump is hot pretty much from the gas pedal up to the cup holders.

DrSilverworm
Jul 15, 2006

Im Dr. Worm. Im interested in things. Im not a real doctor, but I am a real worm; I am an actual worm. I live like a worm...
Just (on 4/18) got my dream car.

Copper Red Mica 2009 Grand Touring MX-5 PRHT with Premium Package, chrome gas cap, and splash guards with an automatic transmission. Yes, I said automatic, and I love it.

The car has paddle shifters which are a ton of fun on the roads surrounding Athens, Ohio, but it's nice being able to switch back to automatic when I'm smoking/eating/trying to merge/figuring out directions/taking a call at the same time

You guys probably know this already better than I do, but cornering in this machine is the greatest feeling in the world. If anyone is ever in Athens, Ohio, send me a message and I'll take you on some of the craziest Appalachia roads you have ever seen.

Here's a link (because I don't feel like resizing it) to a picture of the super-happy front, which in my opinion looks much better than the NC1's:
http://img.waffleimages.com/3074ca4d050b1efa7f5732736e267cf660070095/DSC00049.JPG

With the top down:
http://img.waffleimages.com/71cbbe73515f96a25d490af8afa9a18e2a67ef2d/DSC00048.JPG

I have more angles if anyone's interested.

DrSilverworm fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 18, 2009

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

DrSilverworm posted:

Just got my dream car.

Copper Red Mica 2009 Grand Touring MX-5 PRHT with Premium Package, chrome gas cap, and splash guards with an automatic transmission. Yes, I said automatic, and I love it.

The car has paddle shifters which are a ton of fun on the roads surrounding Athens, Ohio, but it's nice being able to switch back to automatic when I'm smoking/eating/trying to merge/figuring out directions/taking a call at the same time

I found that the paddle shifters in my girlfriend's miata to be a pain in the rear end and kind of unintuitive. Yes they're paddles, but only to upshift. Downshifting you have to thumb that button and I always get it wrong. I wish they would just have Left Paddle to go down a gear and Right Paddle to go up. I thought that's how it is in most sports cars with flappy paddles.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Minis have paddles that push to upshift and pull to downshift. PDK Porsches get buttons.

DrSilverworm
Jul 15, 2006

Im Dr. Worm. Im interested in things. Im not a real doctor, but I am a real worm; I am an actual worm. I live like a worm...

AkrisD posted:

I found that the paddle shifters in my girlfriend's miata to be a pain in the rear end and kind of unintuitive. Yes they're paddles, but only to upshift. Downshifting you have to thumb that button and I always get it wrong. I wish they would just have Left Paddle to go down a gear and Right Paddle to go up. I thought that's how it is in most sports cars with flappy paddles.

Took me awhile to get used to, especially when turning the wheel (the paddles turn with it), but after 2K miles I'm now very comfortable with it, it's kind of second nature. The advantage of this system over the one you described is that you can shift with either hand.

One of the things I really like about the paddle shifters, is that even when the car is in the automatic mode, the paddle shifters will still respond to your input. When you paddle shift in automatic, the computer will automatically change to manumatic shifting, and change back again when you don't touch it for 6 or so seconds.

edit: Unrelated, but have you guys seen this? Steeve McQueen '99 Miata w/ 260k miles

DrSilverworm fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 18, 2009

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
quick opinions- anyone ever try the Yokohama Parada tires? Or the BF Goodrich kdw?

what'd you think?

STFU DONNY
Apr 8, 2004

I'M RIDIN' SPINNAZ! THEY DON'T STOP!
I have a 1997 miata with an open diff. Where can I purchase a used or new Torsen LSD and what other parts do I need to swap it with my existing diff?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You get a torsen from another Miata. It's going to cost you about 800-1000 for the entire package: pumpkin, halfshafts, and whatnot.

pacheco
May 2, 2005

Always bet on Duke.
http://tinyurl.com/rbskwz

Is this Miata too good to be true? What do you guys think?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

pacheco posted:

The rear sure is riding high.

I got a '99 with 45k for $6 grand even, but it had a boatload of (noticable) issues. Just make sure there's no rust in the sills, the drain tubes are clear, etc... maybe this guy doesn't know it's spring yet or something. Also, the red is bright enough in the pics that it could be covered in dimples and I wouldn't be able to tell.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

pacheco posted:

First, it's listed wrong. Certainly not an M-Edition. Crank windows, black cloth interior, lovely black vinyl top, black rocker panels, and no M badges. Check vehicle history to make sure that mileage is correct.

Don't pay anywhere near $6k for that. Be wary of that luggage rack on the trunk. If it's screwed/bolted it, check for leaks and it ain't never coming off. Otherwise remove it and check for scratches at the mount points.

Some of you seem to live in bizarro world when it comes to Miata pricing. An NA, a 13 year old car at best, should not cost more than $5k, and that's 95-97 M edition territory.

Check out my post history. Currently unemployed, I offered to inspect and deliver any Miata in my area(Scranton, PA) to any goon for only my traveling expenses. Check Mid-Atlantic Miata prices in my area-- Philly, NY, Scranton, Poconos, Allentown, Jersey.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
Anyone have any experience with installing head units into Miatas? I have a 1997 M-edition that I'm looking to putting a head unit into with a line-in input so I can plug my phone in via the 3.5mm jack to listen to some tunes on the car stereo while driving. I wasn't sure if I need to look at specific types of head units, certain dimensions, or anything else overly technical. I have no experience with this type of thing and was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
A regular single DIN size head unit will fit just fine.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

corpsed posted:

Anyone have any experience with installing head units into Miatas? I have a 1997 M-edition that I'm looking to putting a head unit into with a line-in input so I can plug my phone in via the 3.5mm jack to listen to some tunes on the car stereo while driving. I wasn't sure if I need to look at specific types of head units, certain dimensions, or anything else overly technical. I have no experience with this type of thing and was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Did you know you can wire your own AUX? I did on my 1997 and its awesome.

http://members.cox.net/zoomzoom/auxinmod.html

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The 96.5 and 97s have a loving DIN sized slot. :argh:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
What's my best bet for a set of ceramic pads? I've found some Hawks for ~75 fot the front and ~70 for the rear. Is there a better/cheaper ceramic option?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Tactical Bonnet posted:

What's my best bet for a set of ceramic pads? I've found some Hawks for ~75 fot the front and ~70 for the rear. Is there a better/cheaper ceramic option?

You can get the PBR/Axxis Ultimates from getcoolparts.com for ~$70 for front and rear pads.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Any idea how those compare with the hawks? I've honestly always just used AutoZone brakes on things, but I don't want to use the organics or semi-metallics because I don't want to spend the rest of my life cleaning brake dust off of my nice shiny wheels.

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
Having gone with Hawk HPS pads previously -

They dust. A lot.

And its not a normal "oh that's a bit darker" dust. Its almost like a metallic red.

My autozone ceramics are the lowest-dust pad I've used so far.

Waxing your wheels also helps too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
HP+ dusts a lot more. After about 10 days, my silver OEM 7 spokes look gunmetal.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Just got new shoes for my baby- goddamn Tire Rack is awesome. I couldn't find jack poo poo around here in 205/45/16, but I ordered a set of Yokohamas yesterday morning and they got here this afternoon. Can't wait to get them on tomorrow and get rid of that embarrassing loving donut.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

iscariot posted:

Having gone with Hawk HPS pads previously -

They dust. A lot.

And its not a normal "oh that's a bit darker" dust. Its almost like a metallic red.

My autozone ceramics are the lowest-dust pad I've used so far.

Waxing your wheels also helps too.

What year is your miata and what is the part number of the pads? I'm a shift manager and can't find so much as a special order set for my 95M

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
94 and 96 and 96. I still have the box in the garage.

Duralast Gold
DG635

Here are some pics of the reddish-tint I'm talking about. The first picture is of the 17s, especially dirty - keep in mind those are (as close as I could get to) a mirror polish.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

DG635 are non-asbestos organic.

http://tinyurl.com/o7zpa4

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 20, 2009

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
fyad.org that poo poo or something

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

I'll tinyurl it in a bit, I'm raiding ulduar. :v:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

corpsed posted:

you can also get head units with bluetooth capability, which would be a lot cleaner looking, IMO

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

Frank Dillinger posted:

you can also get head units with bluetooth capability, which would be a lot cleaner looking, IMO

That can stream music from your phone?

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

Frank Dillinger posted:

Slothophile posted:

That can stream music from your phone?

I completely forgot about this and that my phone also has Bluetooth. This should work if the head unit has the A2DP Bluetooth profile, correct?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

corpsed posted:

I completely forgot about this and that my phone also has Bluetooth. This should work if the head unit has the A2DP Bluetooth profile, correct?

Does your phone support A2DP? It might be convenient but I don't think A2DP sounds super great.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

Ziploc posted:

Does your phone support A2DP? It might be convenient but I don't think A2DP sounds super great.

Yeah, I've never tried it or heard anything played with it though.

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
Hmm.. I'm not going to argue if they're organic, box does say ceramic on the sticker - but it wouldn't suprise me. I've not pushed the car hard enough to say ceramic or organic, but I will say it is a drat bit less dust.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

I'll give them a shot, then. But so help me if they're super dusty, I'll be mildly agitated and clean my wheels..! :bahgawd:

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

So I found a nice top/frame off miata.net I'm interested in, and it's a decent price, but still in the price range of "I don't want to get screwed on this deal by not receiving what I paid for" What's the best way to pay for the top/shipping that I can pull out of if it's not sent? Cashier's check? Personal check?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Doesn't credit card via PayPal give you a reasonable amount of protection? (I've never actually tried to dispute anything with PayPal, but they sure try to make it seem safe)

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Hog Obituary posted:

Doesn't credit card via PayPal give you a reasonable amount of protection? (I've never actually tried to dispute anything with PayPal, but they sure try to make it seem safe)

I've heard horror stories about paypal, most of which relate to the fact that since they're not an actual bank, they don't have to follow any rules or guidelines set up for banks to offer protection. That and there was a period of issues SA had with paypal several years back, which means I'm not trusting it for anything big.

Also, my credit limit is $300, which is too low for the purchase (I know myself and intentionally got such a low limit for "emergencies only").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
edit: nm, credit not debit