Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some... then you lose some more.

You Am I posted:

Played GTA4 on Win 7 x64 last night, seems to run a little better under Win 7 compared to Vista. Very pleased.

On the other hand I tried playing Dawn of War 2 today and it is noticeably running worse than on XP. Team Fortress 2 runs fine, except when the screen zooms on whoever killed me, then it starts to flicker but only at that moment. I got a 7950GX2 and it might be something to do with drivers.

EDIT: Seems like setting Image Settings to "Let the 3D application decide" in the Nvidia control panel made DoW2 run smooth again.

Storm- fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dr Tran posted:

Is there a partition resizer built in or do I need to find software?

Sort of: you can expand and shrink volumes right from the Disk Management screen, but you still need something else to actually move things around.

(Partition Magic not linked because I don't know if it works in 7)

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
So once Win7 is released, is Ultimate going to have any deal-breaking features other than VHD booting and MUI, that will not be available in Professional?

MisterSnrub
Jan 14, 2006
I'm having some weird Permission issues with my Win7 install. Whenever I try to open Itunes, UAC comes up and asks if I want to let Itunes make changes to my computer. It does this every time. Also it complains about not being able to save the library file because it doesn't have the correct permissions, but I made sure that I am the owner of the my user profile and have Full Control.

Another thing I have issues with is deleting things. I have a folder on my Desktop of something I downloaded and when I try to delete it it states "You need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder". I select continue it states "You require permission from [computername/myaccount] to makes changes to this folder". But I am [computername/myaccount]!

Does anyone know what is going on?

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

So once Win7 is released, is Ultimate going to have any deal-breaking features other than VHD booting and MUI, that will not be available in Professional?

I don't think anything has been announced at all, other than Bitlocker being a Ultimate exclusive. I vaguely remember hearing that language packs will be available for versions other than Ultimate, just at a additional charge but I can't find it. No idea on VHD booting.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Looks like there is a new build out 7127.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-Build-7127-Is-Live-111552.shtml

No SHA or MD5 though

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
This is surreal: I'm actually using native Windows apps and loving them. IE8 is fast and its explorer integration is tight. Windows Media Player 12 has a shitload of codecs built-in and a FUCKTON of features that I would normally need to download third-party apps for (you can stream your music and video libraries to your mobile computers using Windows Live, for example).

Just one problem right now: I can't figure out how Windows Media Player does Internet Radio. There's just not a button for it anywhere. Anyone found anything?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

darkforce898 posted:

Looks like there is a new build out 7127.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-Build-7127-Is-Live-111552.shtml

No SHA or MD5 though

Suspicious, Microsoft seems to have not made any mention about it on their website nor in any emails.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

You Am I posted:

Suspicious, Microsoft seems to have not made any mention about it on their website nor in any emails.

Did they do any of that for builds 7048, 7068, or 7077?

I would not download this file until it gets wider confirmation, but just because Microsoft doesn't publicize or endorse the release doesn't mean its a legitimate leak.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Sort of: you can expand and shrink volumes right from the Disk Management screen, but you still need something else to actually move things around.
I shrunk my c: drive from 60gb to 50gb
I want to expand my d: drive from 80 to 90, but the expand option is grayed out

edit: forgot I had a gparted disc. Its working on resizing.

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 18, 2009

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dr Tran posted:

I shrunk my c: drive from 60gb to 50gb
I want to expand my d: drive from 80 to 90, but the expand option is grayed out

edit: forgot I had a gparted disc. Its working on resizing.

Yeah, I should have clarified my statement. You can change the endpoint of partitions, but not the start point, in Disk Management.

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here

Sounder posted:

This is surreal: I'm actually using native Windows apps and loving them. IE8 is fast and its explorer integration is tight. Windows Media Player 12 has a shitload of codecs built-in and a FUCKTON of features that I would normally need to download third-party apps for (you can stream your music and video libraries to your mobile computers using Windows Live, for example).

Just one problem right now: I can't figure out how Windows Media Player does Internet Radio. There's just not a button for it anywhere. Anyone found anything?
This is the revelation I had this weekend, the Microsoft apps are running so smoothly and with such great integration with the jump list feature I'm actually using IE8 and WMP at times (nowhere near fully converted though) when before I wouldn't tough them with a barge pole :ssh:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I wasn't expecting 7's upgrade to just move the entire contents of my old hard drive to Windows.old, so I deleted that without doing a backup, so there went 250 gigabytes of stuff.

On the upside, I can at least blame the lack of backups on Seagate for giving me two faulty hard drives and taking their sweet time mailing me my replacement (which I imagine will also die within a month).

In other news, Windows 7 is pretty slick, even if Windows Update is still horrible and hardly works.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Sheep posted:

In other news, Windows 7 is pretty slick, even if Windows Update is still horrible and hardly works.
What do you mean? It's been solid for me in Windows 7, and hell, it's been solid on XP for years now. I have to use the thing every day.

/bin/laden
Apr 21, 2003
rm -rf /bin/laden error: /bin/laden not found
I keep seeing people refer to the fact that x64bit versions of Windows Vista/7 cannot install unsigned drivers, yet when I try using hacked drivers for my scanner, windows will throw a warning, but will still continue with the install. Am I misunderstanding what everyone is talking about?

(I love Windows7's snipping tool)

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

/bin/laden posted:

I keep seeing people refer to the fact that x64bit versions of Windows Vista/7 cannot install unsigned drivers, yet when I try using hacked drivers for my scanner, windows will throw a warning, but will still continue with the install. Am I misunderstanding what everyone is talking about?

What is the source of the drivers?

Edit:
With all the poo poo over signed driver requirements, people scrambling to find work-arounds and self-signing methods, F8 developer mode bootups and stuff, I'm pretty sure we're not making up the fact that x64 Vista/Win7 won't install unsigned drivers.

There are different levels of signed drivers. The cert may be expired or something and that may throw up an error, but they still have to be digital signed or Windows won't use them.

/bin/laden
Apr 21, 2003
rm -rf /bin/laden error: /bin/laden not found

Xenomorph posted:

What is the source of the drivers?

The original drivers were released by epson and are for a newer scanner. Since the models were so similar, someone was able to modify the .inf to get it to work with my scanner. I found them via a google search months ago and they've worked consistently in both vista x64 and 7.

Being that these are a modified version of a signed driver, perhaps it is the complete lack of a signature that will cause Windows to refuse them and not just an invalid (but present) signature?

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
The Java SDK installed on a 32-bit computer I've got running without a hitch, but my 64-bit computer's install doesn't seem to be working, even though there were no errors during installation.

javac.exe is not a valid executable in command prompt. Does that mean an environment variable isn't set? Am I missing something? Are there any helpful guides for setting up the SDK on Vista/7/64-bit?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sounder posted:

The Java SDK installed on a 32-bit computer I've got running without a hitch, but my 64-bit computer's install doesn't seem to be working, even though there were no errors during installation.

javac.exe is not a valid executable in command prompt. Does that mean an environment variable isn't set? Am I missing something? Are there any helpful guides for setting up the SDK on Vista/7/64-bit?

It sounds like some of your Java files are corrupted, that's the only reason Windows will call it an invalid executable (since you know it isn't 16 bit). Reinstall it.

Lacc
Jul 12, 2004

Install fist, problem solved.
I wonder if anyone had this happen:

WMP apparently decided those photos had audio in them, so now my music library looks like that and I have some extra WAV files lying around.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
IE is definitely improving, but its rendering engine and javascript engine are both still pretty terrible. I wish MS would adopt WebKit for IE, but WebKit is so associated with Apple (and now Google, with Chrome) that I think Ballmer would rather be waterboarded than switch IE over.

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here
Is it wrong that I'm seriously considering using Windows Live Messenger and Mail and my IM and email client on Win7?! The programs have been dead to me all through XP and Vista thanks to Miranda/Digsby and Thunderbird but they look so much sexier now, I think Windows 7 is actually making me feel like programs shouldn't just be functional and a bit drab a la Mozilla's offerings.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Xenomorph posted:

Edit:
With all the poo poo over signed driver requirements, people scrambling to find work-arounds and self-signing methods, F8 developer mode bootups and stuff, I'm pretty sure we're not making up the fact that x64 Vista/Win7 won't install unsigned drivers.

I couldn't get ATi Tool or RivaTuner to work thanks to the whole unsigned driver thing.

Wikkee!
Oct 17, 2006

P.S. : Shut up, Dan.
Man, this Beta is bitchin'. Everything works so well together.

The only niggle I have is that my network connection has been dropped a couple of times.

I'm loving hardwired into the router. What gives?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

/bin/laden posted:

That's not the typical driver signing issue.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
This might be a really specific problem, but has anyone else had problems with Nvidia drivers not allowing the correct screen resolution? I'm running a 6600GT that can display 1920x1200, I was running that on XP SP3, but now my max resolution is limited to 1600x1200. I've updated through the driver control panel, and by downloading through the Nvidia website, and neither have worked.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Woah, I copied my user files from windows.old and just installed firefox and all my extensions and shortcuts are here. Yay!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Goddammit. The x64 Logitech G15 drivers do NOT install on Windows 7.

EDIT: Well, apparently they do if you run in the compatibility mode! Neato.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 18, 2009

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

MA-Horus posted:

Hehe - I know that feeling of "ah gently caress it - I'll just try compatibility mode even though I don't believe it's going to work" from the first time I tried...

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Marketing list of features for Ultimate that aren't included in Home Premium:
  • Domain Join enables simple and secure server networking.
  • Encrypting File System protects data with advanced network backup.
  • Location Aware Printing helps find the right printer when moving between the office and home.
  • Windows XP Mode enables customers to run many Windows XP productivity applications.
  • BitLocker protects data on removable devices.
  • DirectAccess links users to corporate resources from the road without a virtual private network (VPN).
  • BranchCache makes if faster to open files and Web pages from a branch office.
  • AppLocker easily restricts unauthorized software and enables greater security.

LoKout fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 18, 2009

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LoKout posted:

Marketing list of features for Ultimate that aren't included in Home Pro:
  • Location Aware Printing helps find the right printer when moving between the office and home.
  • Windows XP Mode enables customers to run many Windows XP productivity applications.
  • BitLocker protects data on removable devices.
  • DirectAccess links users to corporate resources from the road without a virtual private network (VPN).
  • BranchCache makes if faster to open files and Web pages from a branch office.
  • AppLocker easily restricts unauthorized software and enables greater security.

When you say Home Pro, is that Home or Pro?

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

fishmech posted:

When you say Home Pro, is that Home or Pro?
He must be talking about Home Premium, because XP Mode is included with Professional.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
well home pre is definitely out for me. But pro is looking more and more like the edition to get.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MA-Horus posted:

Huh? Mine installed perfectly without any compatibility mode. The only problem I'm having with my G15 is the same one I had on Vista, LCDStudio won't launch on boot as there's some paranoia mode in x64 versions that prevents anything "needing" UAC from launching as a startup app and I can't find a workaround like a whitelist.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

/bin/laden posted:

This might help you out a bit.

Basically the scanner driver runs in user mode so a signature isn't an absolute requirement although, as you saw, the lack of one will bring up a large "here be dragons" warning.

Drivers that must have a signature include anything that runs in kernel mode and anything that is required for bootup. There are also various restrictions around the DRM system so your graphics and sound drivers may or may not require a signature.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

Disgustipated posted:

He must be talking about Home Premium, because XP Mode is included with Professional.

Oops I was talking about Home Premium. Professional will not be marketed to home users. You'll only be seeing Home Premium and Ultimate.

Pro adds the following over Home Premium:

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

LoKout posted:

Oops I was talking about Home Premium. Professional will not be marketed to home users. You'll only be seeing Home Premium and Ultimate.

Pro adds the following over Home Premium:
No, Home Premium and Professional will be widely available, while Enterprise and Ultimate (they are essentially the same thing) will only be available to OEMs, with Ultimate occasionally available to consumers during promotional periods.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Disgustipated posted:

No, Home Premium and Professional will be widely available, while Enterprise and Ultimate (they are essentially the same thing) will only be available to OEMs, with Ultimate occasionally available to consumers during promotional periods.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Ultimate will also be available via Windows Anytime Upgrade.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Ultimate will also be available via Windows Anytime Upgrade.
Yeah, that too. But for retail packaging, it's just Home Premium and Professional, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some... then you lose some more.

Hmm, Win7 failed to boot, it just froze with my screen looking like it's in sleep mode, and after the automatic repair which I was forced to make, since my keyboard suddenly stopped working, that didn't do anything, it's working fine now. Gave me the eebie jeebies, I don't remember doing any driver installations or especially plugging in new hardware. Just using a lot of commas.