Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

seriouslywtf posted:

I don't really have any name for this dress:

I also think this is very neat, the effect is really interesting. How long is the dress?

Can I ask what tailor's dummy you're using? I've looked at a few half-heartedly, but the reviews for all of them seem seriously bipolar, when I can find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

seriouslywtf posted:

A kimono-style dress out of bamboo jersey:

That looks so comfortable but smart enough to get away with at work. What's bamboo like to work with? Does it have a similar feel to cotton, or is it slippery?

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

Ozma posted:

Troubleshooting:

I'm putting together a fleece blanket/quilt thing for a friend, and I ended up with some thicker batting than what I usually use in this sort of thing. I have two problems:

a) Because the fabric is so thick, I'm not putting the presser foot down. Though if I do, it doesn't seem to matter- what happens is, every couple of inches, I get an extra little loop of bobbin thread on the underside.

b) Even with a denim needle, it's cramming up and I'm getting bunched up bobbin thread until it clogs the machine and I can't do anything anymore.

It's a workhorse of a machine otherwise- normally I have very little trouble sewing through thick things (I made an Amy Butler overnight bag- notorious for being extremely thick/annoying- and had no issues really).

I've adjusted tension. I guess the one thing I haven't tried yet is just covering the feed dogs. Would that make a difference? Is there just a bobbin issue that's not even really related to this? I have noticed when working on another quilting project (just putting the squares together, not actually quilting yet) that the seams aren't even. But when I mess with the tension either way, nothing is happening. :(

It's a singer, I can't remember the model offhand though I'm sure that would make a difference.
On the bobbin thread looping - does your bobbin have a little case that it goes into, like this? http://visual.merriam-webster.com/images/arts-architecture/crafts/sewing/bobbin-case.jpg Because a lot of those have their own tension you can set besides just the machine's tension.

On the thick quilt - You could put the feed dogs down as if you were free motion quilting, you would just have to watch and keep your speed regular because the feed dogs aren't doing that for you. The feed dogs are trying to do their job but they can't do it right as they aren't getting the pressure from the foot on top of the fabric. That's why lots of newer machines won't even let you sew unless the presser foot is down. Or you could get a walking foot - it has feed dogs on the top so the quilt "sandwich" gets pulled forward from the top and bottom. http://www.sew-stitch-learn.com/images/walkingfoot.JPG You may also see it called an even-feed foot. Mine was only $14.99 and was worth so much more. My only gripe with it is that you are pretty much limited to straight stitches, maybe a tiny zigzag but not much more.

As for the seams not being even on the other project, do you have a picture to show what it's doing? I don't know what you mean.

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga

Ozma posted:

denim needle

I don't think this is your best choice. If the tip gets the least bit snaggy it'll screw up your whole operation. Try ball point needles?

Not an Anthem posted:

Rich those jeans are fantastic, you thinking of doing any other denim work?

Goldaline your experiments are always really cool, like the french military sweaterpants

Hmm, shirts maybe one day, I've never really made any so I don't know. My graded pattern should be here in 2 weeks, and hopefully I'll have a rivet press in by then to really start doing some damage. I'm going to get a bunch of fabric options for the jeans (denim, canvas, duck), and get a few more styles figured out. I really want to learn how to make vests though.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
poo poo, I didn't even notice the denim needle part! Yeah, switch to a universal or quilting needle, you'll be much happier.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

seriouslywtf posted:

Warning: big sewing project dump incoming.

I haven't posted my stuff in here for a while so here are a few things I've finished since the last time I updated.

Linen tulip skirt:

Along those same lines, a tulip dress (this one is still in progress):

Ruched purple pencil skirt:

A kimono-style dress out of bamboo jersey:

I don't really have any name for this dress:

Do you wear the tulip skirt/dress? I always liked the look of them but I made myself one and it made my hips look ridiculous.

Also that last dress is glorious. Pleating makes me tingle.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

Ashcans posted:

I also think this is very neat, the effect is really interesting. How long is the dress?

Can I ask what tailor's dummy you're using? I've looked at a few half-heartedly, but the reviews for all of them seem seriously bipolar, when I can find them.
Thanks. The dress is about knee length. The dressform is just one of the cheapo ones from Singer that you can find on JoAnn's website or Amazon.com. A family member got it for me for Christmas, so that's what I use.

madlilnerd posted:

That looks so comfortable but smart enough to get away with at work. What's bamboo like to work with? Does it have a similar feel to cotton, or is it slippery?
Bamboo jersey really soft and it's pretty much like any other jersey you might find. I guess you could say it's like a supersoft cotton jersey, or rayon jersey, or maybe a mix between the two. I personally love it because it's so freakin' soft, and it feels nice and cool on the skin (I have a different dress that I made out of bamboo jersey that I wear all the time for this reason).

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Do you wear the tulip skirt/dress? I always liked the look of them but I made myself one and it made my hips look ridiculous.

Also that last dress is glorious. Pleating makes me tingle.
The tulip dress is still in progress so I haven't been able to wear it yet, but I wore the skirt last week:

I wouldn't say it was the "easiest" skirt to wear, but it went relatively well. ;)

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

seriouslywtf posted:

The tulip dress is still in progress so I haven't been able to wear it yet, but I wore the skirt last week

That skirt looks great on you! Love that green. Would love to see the dress on too, once it's done.

...if that's not too creepy.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

seriouslywtf posted:

Bamboo jersey really soft and it's pretty much like any other jersey you might find. I guess you could say it's like a supersoft cotton jersey, or rayon jersey, or maybe a mix between the two. I personally love it because it's so freakin' soft, and it feels nice and cool on the skin (I have a different dress that I made out of bamboo jersey that I wear all the time for this reason).

Bamboo feels really awesome but I have heard it doesn't work out so well in the long run, as in it's not the most stable of fibers. I haven't actually sewn with it yet, though.

Also the skirt looks great on you. I love people that know how to dress their figure.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

handbags at dawn posted:

poo poo, I didn't even notice the denim needle part! Yeah, switch to a universal or quilting needle, you'll be much happier.

Yeah, in retrospect I have no idea what my rationale was there. Thank you! I will try again with a quilting needle this weekend. ;)

Antis0ciald0rk
Nov 30, 2002
wtf is this?

Gonktastic posted:

A whopping $10 dollars. :smug:

Nice Slant-o-matic. That's quite a deal.

I just got the 401a in the original cabinet and accessories for $75. I got it from a guy who said it used to belong to his mother and she used it all the time and had it serviced religiously but it's been in the basement now for many years.

It was pretty dirty but I managed to get it cleaned up and oiled. It does a nice straight stitch but I can't get the knobs for the other stitches to move and the red lever will move the needle to the left but then it stays stuck there and I have to push it back into place with my hand. Hopefully I can figure out how to fix this myself.

Other issue is that the rubber ring for the bobbin winder is all dried out and doesn't make contact with the wheel, but I figure that's easy enough to replace if I can find the part.

Anyone know anything about fixing these things up?

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
You people are loving killing me with these machines, I swear to god. I can't help you with the machine. I just had to get that out of my system. :sigh:

I made a bag:

It was the easiest thing I've ever sewn, sewing the handles on creates the outside pockets.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

Antis0ciald0rk posted:

It was pretty dirty but I managed to get it cleaned up and oiled. It does a nice straight stitch but I can't get the knobs for the other stitches to move and the red lever will move the needle to the left but then it stays stuck there and I have to push it back into place with my hand. Hopefully I can figure out how to fix this myself.

Anyone know anything about fixing these things up?

Chances are that oiling it won't help. You need to find a way to dissolve the old oil and all the garbage that has attracted itself to it and get it out of there first. My best idea would be to use brake cleaner, from somewhere like Autozone or PepBoys. It has a nozzle to direct the spray and I'd blast every bit of gunk and grime out of there first. Then re-oil it. White can, red lettering that says "Brake Cleaner" Can't miss it.

Edit: Open all your windows if you use it, and DON'T get it on your hands. Be very careful. While I'm pretty sure it'll fix your problem, it is really strong stuff and it'll make you pretty loopy if you inhale the fumes.

Acc-Risk fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 27, 2009

Antis0ciald0rk
Nov 30, 2002
wtf is this?

Acc-Risk posted:

Chances are that oiling it won't help. You need to find a way to dissolve the old oil and all the garbage that has attracted itself to it and get it out of there first. My best idea would be to use brake cleaner, from somewhere like Autozone or PepBoys. It has a nozzle to direct the spray and I'd blast every bit of gunk and grime out of there first. Then re-oil it. White can, red lettering that says "Brake Cleaner" Can't miss it.

Edit: Open all your windows if you use it, and DON'T get it on your hands. Be very careful. While I'm pretty sure it'll fix your problem, it is really strong stuff and it'll make you pretty loopy if you inhale the fumes.

Thanks! I went back after my last post and re-oiled the offending parts and jiggled the knobs and eventually got it all moving but you're right....theres a ton of rusty, dusty, oily gunk in the cam selectors that just doesn't want to come out. The good news is that once the cam selectors were freed up the red lever started working normally.

The brake cleaner will probably be a last resort if I can't find a sewing machine shop to do it for me. I'm usually all for DIY projects but I can barely clean the bathroom without breathing problems from the chemical fumes.

Ferretten
Jun 13, 2006
behind tired eyes, behind tired eyes, he is waiting. and knowing our destinies.

seriouslywtf posted:

Ruched purple pencil skirt:

This is lovely. Are you selling these or anything?

Also does jewellery belong in this thread?

Here's a badge I made - the Black rabbit from Watership down

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

A fox chasing a rabbit. Their eyes are tiny crystals :v:

Kettlesquid
Jan 1, 2005
My brother bought me this account for my birthday. What a cheap bastard.
It's nice to see some hardy older sewing machines in this thread! I've been using my beloved 1930s crank-powered Singer for years; your arm may get tired, but for a straight stitch, it can't be beat. This fucker can sew through sheet metal.

Alas, I feel a bit like I've betrayed my loyal Singer; as of a few days ago, I'm the new owner of a Bernina 440 QE with embroidery module. It was a sewing shop's demo machine and super super on sale. No pictures, as I cannot find my camera, but I love it already.

Unfortunately, I've just discovered that the Burdastyle patterns I was planning on using have all stopped being free. (What!? When did that happen?) Stupidly, I don't have backups. I read somewhere that there is a German version of the site where the patterns are still free. I seem unable to find it. Is it just a cruel internet rumour?

Different topic: I'm looking for pattern/craft suggestions. I've come to possess roughly 18 metres of variously coloured vintage cotton velvet: brown, three shades of red, two shades of blue, two of green, fuchsia, pink, a few others I'm forgetting. The whole lot cost 5 quid...I went a bit overboard.

So far, I've done two quilts and upholstered a footstool. The stuff is a touch too heavy for most skirts and dresses; what would you do with 18 yards of velvet? Pattern suggestions?

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

Ferretten posted:

This is lovely. Are you selling these or anything?
In fact, I am selling those now. If you're interested, PM me?

(P.S. Your jewelry is awesome.)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Ozma posted:

Yeah, in retrospect I have no idea what my rationale was there. Thank you! I will try again with a quilting needle this weekend. ;)

Everyone was desperately awaiting my update, but I switched out the needle, took apart the bobbin casing and made sure everything was clean/OK, and tried again--- everything is back to normal, and the quilt is finished.

Then, 5 minutes after finishing it and putting it on the floor to examine, the cat ran over it with her razor sharp back claws and used it as some sort of launch pad and ripped two huge holes in the goddamn thing. gently caress.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

Ozma posted:

Everyone was desperately awaiting my update, but I switched out the needle, took apart the bobbin casing and made sure everything was clean/OK, and tried again--- everything is back to normal, and the quilt is finished.

Then, 5 minutes after finishing it and putting it on the floor to examine, the cat ran over it with her razor sharp back claws and used it as some sort of launch pad and ripped two huge holes in the goddamn thing. gently caress.
I was awaiting your update, but it didn't have the ending I wanted! :cry:

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Oh yay I'm happy I found this thread! Not that I have much to show for it now, but I go to fashion school and I was getting curious if there was a thread devoted to sewing :)

Reverend Cheddar fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 22, 2018

Ferretten
Jun 13, 2006
behind tired eyes, behind tired eyes, he is waiting. and knowing our destinies.

seriouslywtf posted:

In fact, I am selling those now. If you're interested, PM me?

(P.S. Your jewelry is awesome.)

Thanks!
I don't have PMs unfortunately, what size is the skirt? How much are you selling it for? Mail me at nihilisticferret at gmail dot com

Viet Timh
Apr 16, 2009
Just finished these pants yesterday. Nothing special, just a pair of cargo pants

But I've been using tropical shirt fabric for pocket material on all my pants for the last few years.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

Ferretten posted:

Thanks!
I don't have PMs unfortunately, what size is the skirt? How much are you selling it for? Mail me at nihilisticferret at gmail dot com
e-mail sent!

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

Viet Timh posted:

But I've been using tropical shirt fabric for pocket material on all my pants for the last few years.
You get definite points for the pocket material - why not have a little fun if you're doing so much work? :)

Viet Timh
Apr 16, 2009

handbags at dawn posted:

You get definite points for the pocket material - why not have a little fun if you're doing so much work? :)

Thanks. It started off a few years ago I had bought all my material for a pair of pants... or at least what I thought was all the material. Once I started I realized I needed pocket material. The only thing I had was a Hawaian shirt print that I had more than enough of to make the pockets and stillmmake the shirt. I never did get around to making that shirt. Now I use prints like that as kind of a signature.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
Can I bother all of you fashion conscious individuals for an opinion?

Every year I go to the renaissance festival and I'm always bummed out that I never can wear cool renaissance clothes. There's shops there that sell them but they're always stupid expensive.

So I made the decision that this year, with my ultra beginner sewing skills, I would try to make my own outfit, and maybe one for my girlfriend if she so desired. I even had a really simple design picked out that I think I could manage without screwing up too much...

Until tonight. While browsing Etsy after reading the Etsy megathread I came across this...

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=23288305

And it got me thinking. If she could make a simple vest that laced up the front a little and maybe slight shoulders, that would be a dynamite renfest costume. I know it's hard to picture but am I on the right track style wise?

Leather, at my skill level, would be impossible I think right now so making something like this myself isn't something I could manage at this point. And I'm totally for giving money to someone on Etsy however for something unique.

Opinions?

I couldn't find a picture of what I'm talking about except this one, and this is a toy :/ Just add laces to the vest and that's pretty close to what I mean.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/custom-showcase/wp-content/uploads/DCUC%20Custom%20Showcase/swass_apache_full.jpg

Acc-Risk fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 2, 2009

Succ-U-Bus
Mar 6, 2009
Really stupid question... But how easy would this dress be to make?

I mean, I want it to be flowy, without the black middle section, but it's for a costume party.

:)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Those gathers will be somewhat annoying to get even with satin like that, and I imagine you'll need to set the bottom half's pleats by sewing them in nicely at the waistband. I get frustrated with slippery fabrics, but the pattern itself can't be that difficult. I'd do it if it weren't stupid slippery nonsense.

Succ-U-Bus
Mar 6, 2009
I was personally thinking more like yellow chiffon, because silky slippery things will be destroyed by the sewing machine at home (old Singer from the nana...), and I am *not* hand stitching that.

It's been so long since I used to DIY I'm scared it'll be too hard. I want it to sort of mimic that dress/top thing, but be a bit longer, and sort of hang from the boobs, then I can tie it in with a waist belt.

:)

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I don't think we have a jewelry-making thread.

Does anyone know where I should look to get some custom stone jewelry? I really want this meteorite I have made into a pair of plugs. Most likely it'd end up being a metal plug with a slice of the meteorite set in the face. Any ideas where I could find someone who could do this? I'm at a loss.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Triangulum posted:

Does anyone know where I should look to get some custom stone jewelry? I really want this meteorite I have made into a pair of plugs. Most likely it'd end up being a metal plug with a slice of the meteorite set in the face. Any ideas where I could find someone who could do this? I'm at a loss.

Find someone who's style you like on Etsy and then ask them to do it for you would be my guess. Or go to a local craft/art fair?

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
You might also ask local jewelers - they might not do that kind of work, but there's always the chance they know someone who does.

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis
I've been lurking on this thread open-mouthed for ages...some absolutely fantastic work out there. I'm still quite scared of my sewing machine (crochet hooks are more my thing) but I'm determined to get to the point where I can whip up little dresses for my daughter and bits and pieces for myself. I made a wrap skirt this week which I'm pretty pleased with - it's very simple, I can see I need to learn about darting and so on for a better fit (pic here).

What I wanted to ask was whether it's possible to make a bigger size from a paper pattern, and how to do it? There's a new sewing mag out in the UK and like a fool I bought it for the patterns - but they all stop at the size below mine, and besides, I'm a different size on top than I am on the bottom. There is a huge gap in my knowledge when it comes to patterns.

Antis0ciald0rk
Nov 30, 2002
wtf is this?

discordiaskitten posted:

What I wanted to ask was whether it's possible to make a bigger size from a paper pattern, and how to do it? There's a new sewing mag out in the UK and like a fool I bought it for the patterns - but they all stop at the size below mine, and besides, I'm a different size on top than I am on the bottom. There is a huge gap in my knowledge when it comes to patterns.

It is possible but it could be difficult if the pattern is intricate. I'm no expert on the topic but there is a book I have called "Sew U" that is basically all about customizing patterns to fit your size/shape/style. It's written for beginners and actually comes with a bunch of basic shirt, pants, skirt, etc patterns for you to customize.

Viet Timh
Apr 16, 2009
Just finished making this:

It's a "back pack" for my dog. We're going camping this summer and it's a 2 hour hike to the site. I figure I could put his food in this and a couple toys. It also has two loops designed to hold water bottles in case he needs a drink during the hike.

I designed it so it would attach to his harness.

It's got a couple of workmanship flaws in it but it's the first thing I've ever done without some kind of pattern.

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis

Antis0ciald0rk posted:

It is possible but it could be difficult if the pattern is intricate. I'm no expert on the topic but there is a book I have called "Sew U" that is basically all about customizing patterns to fit your size/shape/style. It's written for beginners and actually comes with a bunch of basic shirt, pants, skirt, etc patterns for you to customize.

Thank you, that's just what I was looking for (I am an "if in doubt, buy a book" person!). Will have a look for it!

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga

RichBomb posted:

Courtesy of the Salvation Army, $27

It's a Singer 66-16, and it's wonderful. The wiring is hosed but from spinning the wheel I can tell it's going to sew very well.

There's another one of these at the same Salvation Army, on Erie Blvd in Syracuse, New York if anybody wants it. It needs a fair bit of work but the needle moves. :10bux:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Viet Timh posted:

It's got a couple of workmanship flaws in it but it's the first thing I've ever done without some kind of pattern.
Dawwww, he is such a happy puppy :3: That looks really cool and your dog is badass in camo.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
He looks absurdly happy to be included in your camping trip! :3:

Wish me luck as I am teaching a sewing class to six 11-year-old girls tonight. They will be making the little bag I posted a picture of up at the middle of this page. Hopefully they will not eat me alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antis0ciald0rk
Nov 30, 2002
wtf is this?

RichBomb posted:

There's another one of these at the same Salvation Army, on Erie Blvd in Syracuse, New York if anybody wants it. It needs a fair bit of work but the needle moves. :10bux:

Sweet, I need to start checking Salvation Army shops again.

On a similar note, if anyone is in the Chicago area Threads Etc Resale on Milwaukee (near California) has a Singer 401a in a cabinet for $80. It could use some TLC and the exterior paint looks a little rough but it still works. I'd be glad to offer assistance/advice in fixing it up now that I've successfully rehabbed mine.