Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
Any idea how I can get my mute button on my keyboard to actually mute the system volume? It works when playing music in j. river media center, but not in team fortress 2. It seems that windows 7 also have multiple volume settings per application now, which is confusing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Greybone posted:

Any idea how I can get my mute button on my keyboard to actually mute the system volume? It works when playing music in j. river media center, but not in team fortress 2. It seems that windows 7 also have multiple volume settings per application now, which is confusing me.
Drivers installed?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

4 Day Weekend posted:

What's the PB problem ?

If it's getting kicked on some servers for 'windows something something' then try

However, PnkBstrA/B are located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 , for BF2 at least.

RESTRICTION: Service Communication Failure: PnkBstrB.exe initialization failed

Strangely I've never gotten the unknown api or whatever message before.. Why are different people getting different messages?

e: Also I can't seem to find any punkbuster processes in services.msc

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Why are game companies still using punkbuster? That poo poo hasn't worked, well ever.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Priapist posted:

No, there are two separate packages listed there, which is confusing some people.

Yes, because they're retarded. Look at the date, get the newest driver. Not very hard.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Lyev Trotsky posted:

RESTRICTION: Service Communication Failure: PnkBstrB.exe initialization failed

Strangely I've never gotten the unknown api or whatever message before.. Why are different people getting different messages?

e: Also I can't seem to find any punkbuster processes in services.msc

I've had problems with EVERY Punkbuster game I've tried (BF2, BF2142, ETQW, and COD4) and there isn't a fix. I've read 2 or 3 "fixes" on various forums, and none have worked for me on RC7100.

1) Changing the pnkbstrA/B services to "interact with desktop" (or whatever, you'll find it) didn't work.

2) Neither did changing these services to run in compatibility mode or with admin privaledges (they're in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and C:\Users\YER NAME HERE\AppData\Local\PunkBuster\GAME HERE)

3) Giving admin/compatability to the games themselves hasn't worked either.

4) Updating the Punkbuster game files using the client at Evenbalance.com (http://evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php) didn't help.

They've said on the forums they won't support beta OS's, so I guess we're out of luck for now.

DFWlly
Aug 6, 2004

by Fistgrrl

oxy posted:

I just installed Windows 7 and I've got a few questions:

I'm running this on a T400 laptop.

When I check my device manager, under the display section, it shows me my two cards that I have. The 3400 HD and the intel integrated card. The problem is that the 3400 HD has a ! beside it. How do I get the drivers for this?

On this note, can I switch video cards within the operating system like I was able to do with Vista?

Also, what antivirus/firewall do people recommend with this operating system that works?

edit: the error that im getting for the driver is this: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I unsure of how laptops BIOS work, but would you need to disable the onboard? Also, you should just need to update the drivers for the 3400HD from ATI's website.

gorkus
Oct 19, 2004
I was trying to install Win 7 on my home PC last night and I ran into a bit of trouble; I'm at a complete loss as to what's going wrong.

My computer previously had 2 GB of ram (2x 1GB) and my friend recently sold me 4 GB more (2x 2GB, ram's dirt cheap these days, it was less than $50 so I couldn't turn it down) so I decided I wanted to finally switch to using a 64 bit version of Windows. I'd been playing around with Win 7 RC1 at work the last few days, so I decided I wanted to triple boot XP 32 bit, XP 64 bit, and Win 7 RC1 64 bit.

With all 6 GB of ram installed, I loaded XP 32 bit and 64 bit; everything went normally and Windows was able to recognize all 6 GB of ram under 64 bit XP. When I tried to boot off the Win 7 disc, the installer seemed to load just fine until it got to the point where it shows the Windows 7 login screen (the light blue screen with a bird and some wind or something) at which point it seemed to hang. I let my computer sit for about 5 minutes, and not seeing any HDD or disc drive activity lights flashing, figured the installer had frozen. After rebooting and trying to boot from the Win 7 RC1 disc again, I had the same thing happen; this time I let my computer sit for ~15 minutes and it finally moved to the screen with the "Start Installation" button. After another 10 minutes, the installer was still sitting at that screen with the button selected but seemingly not doing anything.

While this was going on, I started googling to see if anyone else had had similar issues. Someone reported having trouble installing Win 7 with more than 2 GB of ram, so I stopped the install, removed the added 4 GB (now running on 2x 1 GB), and tried again. This time the Windows 7 install entirely finished in less than 15 minutes.

The other person reporting this issue with installing Win 7 said they were able to reinstall their additional ram after they'd loaded the OS, so I stuck those other sticks of ram back in my computer and tried booting with those in. This time, after the Windows splash screen, I was met with a black screen and seemingly nothing was happening. I took the 4 GB back out and was able to quickly boot into the OS.

Yeah... I'm kind of confused here. Does Windows 7 not support mixed amounts of ram and/or ram from different manufacturers? For the record, the 2x 1 GB is from Corsair and the 2x 2 GB is Gskill (don't ask, I didn't originally buy it). I haven't yet tried using only the 2x 2 GB, I'm at work now and want to see what happens with that when I get home.

Oh, and for the record, my motherboard recognizes all 6 GB of ram when I enter BIOS setup.

Any other ideas?

My other hardware includes:

Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4 Ghz)
GeForce GTS 8800
Seagate 7200.12 1 TB SATA HDD
Some NEC DVD-R

I have some other hard drives in there as well but I don't think they're related... the Seagate is the one I'm trying to load the OS's on.

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
Does anyone elses taskbar and/or window bar ever start flashing? I just installed this about 24 hours ago, and sometimes it'll flash until I minimize everything and open it back up.

Regardless of this little issue I'm having, I've loved my Windows 7 experience so far.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Upgraded from Vista on my X60. Pretty flawless. It found and updated a few drivers right from the start and I had to force it to update the keyboard and mouse drivers via the device manager so my on-computer keyboard and trackpoint would work, but its been running great since then. Better than Vista, dare I say.

Loving the new taskbar and the mouseover make-everything-else-go-transparent feature.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 20, 2009

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

MrPuffkins posted:

Any other ideas?
Bad ram. Run a memtest.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
Can anyone tell me what the difference between the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folder is?

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee

Jose Cuervo posted:

Can anyone tell me what the difference between the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folder is?
Program Files hold 64-bit programs. Program Files (x86) house 32-bit programs.

I think.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Xithyl posted:

I think.

Yep, that's right. It makes it easy to see the 64-bit stuff you have.

Note that some really, really old installers sometimes still throw 32-bit stuff in the x86 directory.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

oxy posted:

When I check my device manager, under the display section, it shows me my two cards that I have. The 3400 HD and the intel integrated card. The problem is that the 3400 HD has a ! beside it. How do I get the drivers for this?

On this note, can I switch video cards within the operating system like I was able to do with Vista?
Go to the Lenovo website, Vista drivers section. Download and install the switchable graphics driver for the T400 and the power manager software. I have a T400 and everything works perfectly.

DFWlly posted:

I unsure of how laptops BIOS work, but would you need to disable the onboard? Also, you should just need to update the drivers for the 3400HD from ATI's website.
And completely ignore this advice.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

fishmech posted:

Hiren's Boot CD has a version of PartitionMagic that runs off CD in DOS which the CD will start your computer in: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Use that to resize your partitions.

This didn't really work. I booted it up and it threw a slew of device driver errors around, then locked up my keyboard input.

Im kinda at my wits end here, nothing I've tried can extend my primary partition into the free space on my extended partition. I even tried moving my page file over to the D: partition as some places have said you can't extend a primary partition if it has a page file on it.

Still open to any ideas. :(

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hobb posted:

This didn't really work. I booted it up and it threw a slew of device driver errors around, then locked up my keyboard input.

Im kinda at my wits end here, nothing I've tried can extend my primary partition into the free space on my extended partition. I even tried moving my page file over to the D: partition as some places have said you can't extend a primary partition if it has a page file on it.

Still open to any ideas. :(

Sounds like you burned a corrupted image or the image got corrupted in the burn process.

motoraway
Oct 12, 2003

How Swede it is
Speaking of burning, what programs have been working well with Windows 7? I'm currently using my Nero 7 license, but it doesn't give perfect burns every time when it did before.

Work has offered to pay for a license for something new, I like Nero minus the bloat of newer versions, but am open to anything that will work well.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Imgburn for burning isos and poo poo, and CDBurnerXP for handmade compilations. Both are free.

motoraway
Oct 12, 2003

How Swede it is

xamphear posted:

Imgburn for burning isos and poo poo, and CDBurnerXP for handmade compilations. Both are free.

I should have remembered those, as they're mentioned here so much. Thanks!

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Yeah I use imgburn and its just fine, cdburnerxp didn't see my drive using 64 bit.

fishmech posted:

Sounds like you burned a corrupted image or the image got corrupted in the burn process.

I think its alright it just started doing that when I tried to load partition magic. Anyway I think I found an answer which is you can't extend the primary partition into unallocated space of the extended partition apparently.

I guess all I can do is nuke my data partition then unallocate it and extend from there, then remake it.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

hobb posted:

Yeah I use imgburn and its just fine, cdburnerxp didn't see my drive using 64 bit.

I think its alright it just started doing that when I tried to load partition magic. Anyway I think I found an answer which is you can't extend the primary partition into unallocated space of the extended partition apparently.

I guess all I can do is nuke my data partition then unallocate it and extend from there, then remake it.

Can you shrink the extended partition? I haven't tried, but its worth a shot before you remove your data.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Xithyl posted:

Does anyone elses taskbar and/or window bar ever start flashing? I just installed this about 24 hours ago, and sometimes it'll flash until I minimize everything and open it back up.

Regardless of this little issue I'm having, I've loved my Windows 7 experience so far.

Happens to me too, and it's really annoying. It's mostly a problem with Windows Media Player, but Firefox will do it sometimes as well.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

4 Day Weekend posted:

I couldn't get ATi Tool or RivaTuner to work thanks to the whole unsigned driver thing.

I'm running RivaTuner just fine on 7 64bit. Make sure you say yes to install updates at the end of the installation.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

kapinga posted:

Can you shrink the extended partition? I haven't tried, but its worth a shot before you remove your data.

Yeah, I have 30gb of 'free space' on my extended and I used gparted to move it left so its sequentially beside my primary, but the options greyed out. gparted couldn't extend it either it sees the primary and extended partitions as two seperate things.

edit: and to further answer that I can shrink and extend with the extended partitions free space too, so I guess the only option is to kill it and start over. :/

hobb fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 20, 2009

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Xithyl posted:

I think.

I have

Program Files
Program Files (x86)
Program Files (x86) (x86)

What's the third folder for? (this is not a Win 7 question, as these folders were in Vista as well)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

WillieWestwood posted:

I have

Program Files
Program Files (x86)

What's the third folder for? (this is not a Win 7 question, as these folders were in Vista as well)
Programs with lovely installers?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

WillieWestwood posted:

I have

Program Files
Program Files (x86)

Never seen the third one. What's in it, if you don't mind?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Wow that is the dumbest installer ever. Take %ProgramFiles% and append " (x86)" and that's all there is to supporting x64, guys!

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
I am trying to determine whether I installed the two sticks of RAM properly in my computer so that I am making use of the dual-channel feature. From this article, it seems that the startup screen should display the necessary information. Unfortunately my computer flashes by the screen too quickly so that I cannot see if I do have the dual-channel enabled. Is there any other way of checking?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Jose Cuervo posted:

I am trying to determine whether I installed the two sticks of RAM properly in my computer so that I am making use of the dual-channel feature. From this article, it seems that the startup screen should display the necessary information. Unfortunately my computer flashes by the screen too quickly so that I cannot see if I do have the dual-channel enabled. Is there any other way of checking?

CPU-Z will tell you.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Still has the "disappearing taskbar when coming out of some screen savers" bug from Vista. Wish they would fix that, I really like Fliqulo.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I saw this in the OP

Q: Can I upgrade from the RC to Final?

A: No. In order to make sure that some random old beta file doesn't spectacularly crash something in an RTM install (which Microsoft will waste time and money trying to fix when they're called about it), a clean install will have to be performed.

Does this mean if I upgrade from Vista to Win7 RC, then I want to upgrade to the retail one, I have to do a clean install again?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

kapinga posted:

Never seen the third one. What's in it, if you don't mind?

I want to know this too, so we can point and laugh at the poorly coded installer.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

alkanphel posted:

I saw this in the OP

Q: Can I upgrade from the RC to Final?

A: No. In order to make sure that some random old beta file doesn't spectacularly crash something in an RTM install (which Microsoft will waste time and money trying to fix when they're called about it), a clean install will have to be performed.

Does this mean if I upgrade from Vista to Win7 RC, then I want to upgrade to the retail one, I have to do a clean install again?

Yes.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Unexpected EOF posted:

Yes.
Ah ok, then I think I'll just wait for the final retail one.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Unexpected EOF posted:

Yes.

Keep in mind, you also can't upgrade to the RC from the beta. But a quick ini edit fixes this.

Haven't seen this mentioned, so forgive me if I missed it, but Middle clicking Aero Peak closes the app like a tab.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Lakitu7 posted:

I want to know this too, so we can point and laugh at the poorly coded installer.

The only thing I can think of is that, somehow, the developer assumed you had to manually specify the (x86) part of the install directory and has hard-coded it to install to C:\program files (x86)\, so that when it installs, it goes "oh, install there! Wait, we have to append (x86) to it cause it's a 32bit program!" and ends up with (x86) twice.

I can't think of any other way that could reasonably happen.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Installed two days ago, no problems so far. It recognizes most of my software, and I can tell that it is performing better than my old Vista install.

One problem I am facing is the use of my G15 keyboard. I read online that I should be able to use the vista x64 drivers for the drat thing, but so far no luck. Whenever I start the installer it simply states that it cannot be used with this operating system.

Side note: Has anyone tried this with parallels or boot-camp yet? I don't think I would install it, I am just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Oh My Science posted:

One problem I am facing is the use of my G15 keyboard. I read online that I should be able to use the vista x64 drivers for the drat thing, but so far no luck. Whenever I start the installer it simply states that it cannot be used with this operating system.

Any time this happens, put it into Vista compatibility mode and it should resolve it.