Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

alkanphel posted:

I saw this in the OP

Q: Can I upgrade from the RC to Final?

A: No. In order to make sure that some random old beta file doesn't spectacularly crash something in an RTM install (which Microsoft will waste time and money trying to fix when they're called about it), a clean install will have to be performed.

Does this mean if I upgrade from Vista to Win7 RC, then I want to upgrade to the retail one, I have to do a clean install again?
One of the Windows developers showed how to hack a way so you can upgrade:

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/04/07/delivering-a-quality-upgrade-experience.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

kapinga posted:

Never seen the third one. What's in it, if you don't mind?

Lakitu7 posted:

I want to know this too, so we can point and laugh at the poorly coded installer.

Well, since inquiring minds want to know...

core (for Leafchat client)
help (for Leafchat client)
Lexmark 2400 Series
Lexmark Toolbar
lib (Nokia stuff)
plugins (empty folder)
themes (for Leafchat client)

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

n0tqu1tesane posted:

CPU-Z will tell you.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Under the Memory tab, if the Channels # is Single, I do not have dual-channel enabled right?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

WillieWestwood posted:

Well, since inquiring minds want to know...

core (for Leafchat client)
help (for Leafchat client)
Lexmark 2400 Series
Lexmark Toolbar
lib (Nokia stuff)
plugins (empty folder)
themes (for Leafchat client)

:ughh:

Lexmark, talk about your all time non surprises.

Wait, one of your programs installs into 4 subdirectories of the wrong program files directory? (ie c:\Program Files (x86)(x86)\Themes\, etc) That's double extra retarded.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Casao posted:

Keep in mind, you also can't upgrade to the RC from the beta. But a quick ini edit fixes this.

Not quite true, you can directly upgrade from beta 7077 directly.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Jose Cuervo posted:

Under the Memory tab, if the Channels # is Single, I do not have dual-channel enabled right?

Right.

Are both your memory sticks identical? Were they purchased as a matched pair?

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Right.

Are both your memory sticks identical? Were they purchased as a matched pair?

Yep. I bought a Gigabyte board (for an AMD processor). The memory slots were named Channel 0: DDR2_1, DDR2_2, and Channel 1: DDR2_3, DDR2_4. The booklet that came with the board said that if you only have two sticks of memory put them in DDR2_1 and DDR2_2, but I thought that you would not be using both channels this way (and people in the SH/SC System Building and Parts Picking Megathread seemed to agree with this logic). So I put one in DDR2_1 and one in DDR2_3. Guess I am gonna have to change that now.

EDIT: Cool beans. Just did the swap and it now reads dual. Thanks for the help.

Jose Cuervo fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 21, 2009

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Nah that doesn't work. I've tried all 3 vista compatiblity settings to install those drivers for my G11 and it keeps giving the popup about not being compatible with this OS.

edit: re: logitech gamepanel install thing..

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does anybody know if you can set an idle power-off for individual hard disks? I threw in an old IDE drive and it's pretty noisy, so I'd like to keep that off until I need to use it while I let the SATA drives keep spinning.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

A few questions and this may be the dream windows OS I've been waiting for since I was stuck with Vista.

I have an AMD 64 bit Phenom processor for future reference.

So, with XP virtualization, is it possible to install drivers for a device that would only work in 32 bit mode, e.g. a device that worked on XP and Vista 32 bit, but not 64 bit. For those curious, it is an Gamebridge.

I could also run my old games that may not have worked in Vista but did under XP, provided those games did not need registry entries? I know there's a lot about XP virtualization for programs, but I was just curious if anyone's tried it for games.

I haven't tried this on my Vista 64 bit machine, but that's because for a while, it's my only machine and I want to be able to do a simple upgrade to Win7.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

hobb posted:

Nah that doesn't work. I've tried all 3 vista compatiblity settings to install those drivers for my G11 and it keeps giving the popup about not being compatible with this OS.

edit: re: logitech gamepanel install thing..

Compatability mode + run as admin + (make sure you have the right vista drivers, x64 or x86) and it should work. It has for me and a couple others in the thread with the issue

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Casao posted:

Keep in mind, you also can't upgrade to the RC from the beta. But a quick ini edit fixes this.

You can upgrade from beta to RC if you're running 7077 without any ini changes, though. That's worth mentioning.

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF
Any ideas why my computer occasionally makes a random "Device removed" sound? I'll just be hanging out and I hear the familiar dee-doo when i haven't touched anything (or even when i'm running with no peripherals at all (laptop). Would this be in a log somewhere?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

:ughh:

Lexmark, talk about your all time non surprises.

Wait, one of your programs installs into 4 subdirectories of the wrong program files directory? (ie c:\Program Files (x86)(x86)\Themes\, etc) That's double extra retarded.
I went back and deleted that folder, since I wasn't using leafchat or the Nokia software. The Lexmark sofware is now in "Program Files". Thanks for checking it out for me.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Oh My Science posted:

One problem I am facing is the use of my G15 keyboard. I read online that I should be able to use the vista x64 drivers for the drat thing, but so far no luck. Whenever I start the installer it simply states that it cannot be used with this operating system.

Extract the files from the installer and run the .msi file directly.

grrowl posted:

Any ideas why my computer occasionally makes a random "Device removed" sound? I'll just be hanging out and I hear the familiar dee-doo when i haven't touched anything (or even when i'm running with no peripherals at all (laptop). Would this be in a log somewhere?

Do you have a wireless card? Windows will shut it down when it's been idle for some amount of time.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 21, 2009

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF

phosdex posted:

Extract the files from the installer and run the .msi file directly.

Do you have a wireless card? Windows will shut it down when it's been idle for some amount of time.

I primarily use wireless, yes. Unless the timeout time is pretty low I can't imagine that would be issue BUT not being aware of it I couldn't say for sure. I'll keep an eye out if it happens while the network's been idle for a bit, thanks.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Ineffiable posted:

So, with XP virtualization, is it possible to install drivers for a device that would only work in 32 bit mode, e.g. a device that worked on XP and Vista 32 bit, but not 64 bit. For those curious, it is an Gamebridge.

I could also run my old games that may not have worked in Vista but did under XP, provided those games did not need registry entries? I know there's a lot about XP virtualization for programs, but I was just curious if anyone's tried it for games.

I haven't tried this on my Vista 64 bit machine, but that's because for a while, it's my only machine and I want to be able to do a simple upgrade to Win7.
Re-read what the OP has to say about XP Mode to learn why none of this will ultimately work, or even if you coaxed it to, the results wouldn't be acceptable at all. In short, "XP Mode" isn't going to be able to throw high-bandwidth video around as if it were running native. It's an OS running within an OS, which means its going to run like complete poo poo, and it's not going to be able to hook directly into all the features your hardware has to provide.

First, find a way to get rid of the Gamebridge. If you're only playing games on your monitor with it, just buy a new monitor that has the video inputs you need (this will give you the best picture for play). If you intend to capture video through the Gamebridge, you should replace it with a proper capture device that has a 64bit driver. Seriously, the Gamebridge is a piece of poo poo, and just going to anything else will give you a very noticeable bump in image quality.

Second, to get your old games running, what you're probably looking for is Compatibility Mode (which has been in Windows since Windows XP). Right-click on an executable (or a shortcut to your desired executable), select Properties, click the Compatibility tab, check the box and select the OS you want Windows to appear as to that program. That is, if it is even necessary. I haven't found many XP games that required any special conditions.

Jamz
May 12, 2007

Galoomp!
I'm trying to install the 64bit RC onto a new partition on a drive thats got an XP install and after several attempts I'm still not having any luck. On every attempt, the installation process gets to 'completing installation...' then after a minute or so the computer restarts without any warning. It then says there was a problem starting windows and do I want to boot safe mode etc. If I try to boot normal, it gets to "Starting Windows" then reboots itself after a minute and I keep going around in the same loop. I never get up to the part where it actually asks for my CD key and does all the final configuration type stuff.

I've tried burning a new install disk, checking that SHA hash for the iso matches, checked my RAM is fine with memtest and checked that a mountain of dust hadn't mysteriously accumulated inside my case since it was last cleaned out.

I'm just about out of ideas and I've got no idea what the problem is. Any suggestions?

Hardware:
-Athlon 64 X2 4000+
-1GB RAM
-ASRock ALiveNF7G motherboard (nVidia chipset)
-onboard video/sound
-2 HDDs, dual booting XP with Ubuntu 9.04

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

grrowl posted:

You might be able to watch the Device Manager MMC to see what's being added/removed when you get the sounds.

I had a Dell D600 that would to this all the time. One of the clips that holds the motherboard in the chassis had come loose and was flexing enough whenever I moved the machine to cause the USB controller to short out and lose connection.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I skipped Vista (insert 3 page nerd rage argument about how win7 is just vista with a new name) so I don't know if this problem is endemic to 7 betas or what:

When you minimize a window, the thumbnail shown in the alt-tab switcher or when you mouse over the taskbar icon is frozen in time to when you minimized it. Even the full window shown when you hover over the thumbnail is frozen in time.

Worse, if you wait long enough, the thumbnail goes away completely and the window just shows up as a blank box.

Is this just the way the DWM works? Is there no way to update thumbnails and previews for minimized applications?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
It's not a thumbnail, it's actually a live preview. And it sounds like something's broken for you. The behavior you describe doesn't happen tome.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Weird, it's been like that for me in both 7077 and 7100 on all 5 PCs I have it installed on. It's a live preview only if the application is on the screen, once it's minimized it goes to a thumbnail frozen at the instant of minimization.

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.
Has anyone here had problems installing World of Warcraft on Win7? I downloaded the client installer from blizzard and it installs fine. When I get to the patch that brings it from 3.0.9 to 3.1.0 it fucks up every time, saying that one of the files "could not be opened". Googling and searching the WoW forums don't reveal any solutions. I've tried basically everything, repairing the installation and trying the patch again, reinstalling from scratch and installing again etc. All the patches before that one is fine, I've even downloaded the huge patch from other sources.

I've run the patch itself in compatibility mode form XP SP3, Vista SP2, as administrator and with and without UAC turned on.

Anyone else have the same problem with patching?

Running the RC 7100 version of Win7.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

xamphear posted:

Weird, it's been like that for me in both 7077 and 7100 on all 5 PCs I have it installed on. It's a live preview only if the application is on the screen, once it's minimized it goes to a thumbnail frozen at the instant of minimization.
I think it's just a limitation of Aero. It's been like how you describe for me with every application ever since Vista launched.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

xamphear posted:

This actually makes sense, and would definitely be a part of DWM. When a window's minimized, DWM is not rendering the output, so the preview would not know what is being displayed at that moment in time.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
That's a bummer. I like to keep most of my windows minimized when I'm not using them, and it'd be awesome if I could mouse over an SSH/IRC taskbar thumbnail and see if there's new text or over utorrent/flashget and check the real time status of the downloads without having to restore the application.

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
Anyone else get a lot of random IRQL blue screens? I've noticed that sometimes, when just browsing the web and using for example, Soulseek or foobar2000 (only other programs I use really frequently), I'll get a blue screen, memory dump and it'll reboot.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Anybody know of a fast VNC server that works with Windows 7?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Vinlaen posted:

Anybody know of a fast VNC server that works with Windows 7?
Any particular reason not to just use Remote Desktop instead?

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Xithyl posted:

Anyone else get a lot of random IRQL blue screens? I've noticed that sometimes, when just browsing the web and using for example, Soulseek or foobar2000 (only other programs I use really frequently), I'll get a blue screen, memory dump and it'll reboot.
Test your hardware. It's likely an issue with your RAM, or less likely a conflicting driver.

Lacc
Jul 12, 2004

Install fist, problem solved.
I hadn't noticed before but Excel doesn't play well with Aero Snap. If its window is maximized, you can't just drag it down to a normal window.

Xithyl posted:

Anyone else get a lot of random IRQL blue screens?

I posted about the same thing in the last thread. Seemed like a plain old boring driver issue.
If the BSOD names a specific filename in it, start looking into that.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

xamphear posted:

That's a bummer. I like to keep most of my windows minimized when I'm not using them, and it'd be awesome if I could mouse over an SSH/IRC taskbar thumbnail and see if there's new text or over utorrent/flashget and check the real time status of the downloads without having to restore the application.

This isn't impossible, but it's the responsibility of application developers.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lacc posted:

I hadn't noticed before but Excel doesn't play well with Aero Snap. If its window is maximized, you can't just drag it down to a normal window.
Which Excel? Works fine for me with Excel 2010.

Lacc
Jul 12, 2004

Install fist, problem solved.

xamphear posted:

Oops, 2007. I should probably jump on the 2010 bandwagon then.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

xamphear posted:

Where can you get it?

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee

-Dethstryk- posted:

Test your hardware. It's likely an issue with your RAM, or less likely a conflicting driver.
Really? Hopefully it's the driver. I've had no issues using Vista on this laptop for about 4-5 months now, minus one issue which I found to be driver related. Too bad I forget which driver it was that was giving me an issue.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Repost from the last Windows 7 thread: Anyone having problem syncing a 4th gen iPod nano using x64 iTunes 8.1.1 on 7 RC? When I try to sync a playlist, I'm getting a message telling me it can't find the disk to write to. Works fine under x86 Vista. Suggestions?

All transitory

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Jamz posted:

I'm trying to install the 64bit RC onto a new partition on a drive thats got an XP install and after several attempts I'm still not having any luck. On every
Hardware: [i]
-ASRock ALiveNF7G motherboard (nVidia chipset)
Using your display with DVI connection by any chance? Hook up analog until the install is done and you've installed latest Nvidia driver. Then switch it back to DVI.

Don't ask :v:

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
Is anyone using Soulseek?

I'm thinking it is the cause of my blue screens. Only ever seems to happen during random times when I have Soulseek open and I'm searching for files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

alseyn posted:

Using your display with DVI connection by any chance? Hook up analog until the install is done and you've installed latest Nvidia driver. Then switch it back to DVI.

Don't ask :v:

I swear this has to be an nVidia problem, not a Windows thing. Even in Ubuntu. When I load the drivers in, it switches to the VGA output, whether there's something connected or not. I have to go in and switch it and force it in xorg.conf for it to stay.