Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thingfromtheswamp
Feb 25, 2009

Ddraig posted:

I never really got into the Aardman stuff, so after watching (and loving) a Matter of Loaf and Death I queued up all their stuff in my lovefilm queue. Can't wait for it.

That's cool, though I found Loaf and Death the weakest Wallace and Gromit short. It just didn't have the zaniness of the first three shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dayewalker
Dec 25, 2002

I drink YOUR milkshake!
Just finished binging through the complete series of The Wire and I definitely agree that it's one of the best TV shows ever produced.

I watched Breaking Bad Season 1 this weekend. It sucks that it was only 7 episodes due to the writer's strike, but I've heard great things about season 2. I'm looking forward to catching up on that soon.

Today I started on season 1 of Six Feet Under for the second time. I started watching it a year or so ago, but I can't remember if I ever finished it. I'm planning on binging through the whole series since I've had the DVD's for over a year now.

I just wish I had time to watch all the other stuff that is sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I just started Highlander. Its good but very much a product of its time.

thingfromtheswamp
Feb 25, 2009
Monk Season 1 - I'm enjoying it so far though some of the episodes are far too reliant on the criminals blowing it, but the chemistry between the characters (Monk, his handler, the police chief and the assistant) is amazing.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Since I'm going through Buffy S6 right now and someone else mentioned it, goddamn is Buffy the worst character after like halfway through season 2. They keep trying to make her interesting and grow her character, but in the end, she's always still some shrill harpy crying about some boy or about her destiny as the slayer.

Everyone else on the show is awesome, though.

PS - I was recommending that people that haven't watched vastly superior shows and are actively looking for shows to watch should try those sometime, instead of opting for the same old same old. I love the cheesy bullshit in LOST, but I would not pick it over The Wire any day of the week.

Kaiju
Mar 19, 2003

HEINEKEN!?! FUCK THAT SHIT! PABST BLUE RIBBON!!
Because LOST is over until next year, I need something to take its place so I'm plowing through Fringe right now. I'm at the half way mark.

I checked it out when it first aired and gave it the benefit of the doubt through the first few episodes but then drifted away out of apathy and a sharp decline in free time to burn on watching TV. I wish I had stuck with it because by the 8th episode I was hooked, entirely. Co-workers persuanded me to come back to it.

I was a gigantic X-Files fan during the Duchovny seasons and I still hold it up on high as the second best TV sci-fi show of all time (the first being The Twilight Zone). Since it ended, I've been waiting for something to come along and take its place and I think Fringe is going to be that show. It still needs time but to have proven itself to me so thoroughly in its first season is a great accomplishment because I'm such a critical dick by nature.

Fringe is the spiritual successor to the X-Files. It has a mostly episodic flow where you can stop and watch most of the episodes that I've seen so far and they're good sci-fi on their own serialized merits but there's a meta-plot running through each one like the X-Files. I love it. Good cast, too.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Took a break from X-Files at the end of Season 2 to start binging through Boston Legal. About to be done with that.

I've got Star Trek:TOS queued up, followed with Star Trek:TNG in the chamber. Then back to X-Files.... Still need to catch up on Fringe... Ugh. I'm never gonna be done.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Kaiju posted:

:words:

Wow, I came to this thread to basically write this exact same post. Loving the show so far. I'm watching it with my friend, who points out whenever the Observer is in a shot and I don't notice. He's like the G-Man in Half Life 1, always lurking and freaking the hell out of me. Love it.

I'm really surprised at how awesome this is - it's surprisingly on the ball with everything for being a first season, I would've expected it to take a lot longer to get stuff going. Also, I want Walter to follow me everywhere and ask me for ginger ale and gum and root beer floats. He is the best. (If Peter was around too, hey, even better!)

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just started Star Trek: TNG. Gonna start TOS at some point. The only Star Trek I have seen through from beginning to end is Voyager and I think that needs to change. Might do DS9 at some point.

COOLGUY TRUE
Jan 7, 2005

Too True! Cool, too.
I watched all the episodes of This American Life today and I was real fuckin' impressed.

I think I could watch it non-stop all day, every day.

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

Rewatching all of Weeds to prepare myself for season 5. I forgot how ridiculous the last pair of seasons get.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Watched Season One of The Shield which is to say that I watched the very first episode and after that, how could you stop until it was over. Got the next 5 seasons on DVD ready to watch, by the time I get through them the last season should be going quite cheaply.

Also, anyone that gave up on Prison Break after Season 1 or 2 might want to at least give the last two episodes a watch, as they do conclude a lot fo the character, and it's far greater than you'd expect/hope.

Meanwhile, I'm left with not much TV to watch in a few weeks, with BSG and PB over for good. Are there any new American shows from this season? I gave up on Fringe, but Dollhouse has just started and seems intriguing enough for me to put up with it until the sixth episode or whenever it is that the show improves. But I haven't noticed anything getting rave reviews to the style of Lost, Heroes, Dexter, Breaking Bad or Mad Men did when they arrived on TV this season, have I simply missed something or has the new stuff been mostly average?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

incredible bear posted:

Meanwhile, I'm left with not much TV to watch in a few weeks, with BSG and PB over for good. Are there any new American shows from this season? I gave up on Fringe, but Dollhouse has just started and seems intriguing enough for me to put up with it until the sixth episode or whenever it is that the show improves. But I haven't noticed anything getting rave reviews to the style of Lost, Heroes, Dexter, Breaking Bad or Mad Men did when they arrived on TV this season, have I simply missed something or has the new stuff been mostly average?

You might want to give Chuck a shot. It's no The Wire, Breaking Bad, Etc. It's just a really fun show. The first season was pretty forgettable, but the second season was amazing. It got to the point that I'd DVR Heroes, so I could enjoy Chuck, and then postpone watching Heroes for several days, just so the crap that is Heroes didn't bring me down from enjoying Chuck.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 21, 2009

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Already watching Chuck (that's from the year before), S2 should be starting in the UK any time now. It disturbs but thrills me how many people are dismissing S1 as crap, as I loved every minute of it. I can't imagine what S2's going to do to me.

How well is Harper's Island going? Due to the structure of the show, it's pretty unsafe to go around looking for reviews and stuff because it's just going to be spoiler central. Are the ratings good enough, is it just going to have one season and then finish, or is there a chance of it getting picked up for more?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

incredible bear posted:

How well is Harper's Island going? Due to the structure of the show, it's pretty unsafe to go around looking for reviews and stuff because it's just going to be spoiler central. Are the ratings good enough, is it just going to have one season and then finish, or is there a chance of it getting picked up for more?

It's gonna be one season and done, but I'm really enjoying it right now. I'd recommend it for sure.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

incredible bear posted:

Already watching Chuck (that's from the year before), S2 should be starting in the UK any time now. It disturbs but thrills me how many people are dismissing S1 as crap, as I loved every minute of it. I can't imagine what S2's going to do to me.

I don't think we're saying Season 1 of Chuck is crap, just that it was "good" to "pretty good". At the end of Season 1 I was a fan but it probably barely cracked my top 10 favorite shows. Season 2 made it tie as my favorite show between The Office, HIMYM and Chuck, and it probably nudged the two of them out, just barely.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah season 1 was ok but I wouldn't have been crushed if it was cancelled. Season 2 is a vast improvement.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

incredible bear posted:

I absolutely love this show. It's a ton of fun, a surprising amount of gore for being on CBS, and just very exciting. No it didn't get renewed, but it was actually only going to be one season with these characters anyway, I think the renewal was just to do more seasons in the same vein with different people. I'd highly recommend catching up on it.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The Shield My wife and I have watched it from the beginning this year and just finished season 5, goddamn that show, it's awesome.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 22, 2009

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
I started watching Deadwood, is it true it's never wrapped up? I didn't wanna google/wiki it, I don't want to read some spoilers.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Midnight- posted:

I started watching Deadwood, is it true it's never wrapped up? I didn't wanna google/wiki it, I don't want to read some spoilers.
True. Still worth watching though.

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord
Heroes, just started watching Season 1 upto to Episode 5, quite enjoying it, but i've heard Season 2 is meant to be pretty pathetic, so whether I will continue watching is another story.

Planning to move onto to Boston Legal after that as I have heard good things.

Mollsmolyneux fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 23, 2009

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

I've been re-binging through 24, a friend has the first five seasons on DVD so I borrowed and watched the first two, gonna try to get season 3 soon. It basically feels like I'm watching it all for the first time, since all the seasons blend together in my mind and I don't remember much about any of them except for vague plot details and a few major twists.

I'm also working on The Wire, and am almost through season 2. It really is as good as everybody says, with the one caveat that both seasons so far took a few episodes to really get going. I figured after I really got into Season 1 it would be full steam ahead from there, but Season 2 took me a bit to really enjoy as well.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just got into Quantum Leap. It's loving great, and even though it's an 80's/90's show, it hardly shows it's age because everything takes place in the past. Brilliant!

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Every goddamn episode of Friday Night Lights, thanks to the banner ad.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Mollsmolyneux posted:

Heroes, just started watching Season 1 upto to Episode 5, quite enjoying it, but i've heard Season 2 is meant to be pretty pathetic, so whether I will continue watching is another story.

Planning to move onto to Boston Legal after that as I have heard good things.

Once you reach first season finale of Heroes, you're better off just accepting that the show ended there. Trust me on this one, just walk away from Heroes, it doesn't get any better.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

Once you reach first season finale of Heroes, you're better off just accepting that the show ended there. Trust me on this one, just walk away from Heroes, it doesn't get any better.

I did this, never even watched a single episode of season 2 or beyond. I don't regret it one bit.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Binged through all of season 7 of 24 earlier this week. Also went through Harpers Island up to episode 6 which is all that's curently out. And season 1 and most of season 2 of Breaking Bad.

Having also recently binged my way through this seasons Supernatural, Prison Break, Chuck, Heroes, Grey's Anatomy, Lost, and Damages. I'm completely out of my usual shows to watch and thinking of picking up something new. So any suggestions would be appreciated. I keep reading that Fringe gets a ton better after a few episodes. Like a lot of folks I watched it initially and found it to be meh so I moved on. Maybe I'll force myself through the first few episodes in order to get into it.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Just started watching season 4 of The Wire. I must say, it does get addictive after 5-6 episodes of the first season, but (other than a few moments of sheer brilliance Omar's courtroom scene, Bunk shitfaced on the john, McNulty doing some fast and furious drifting while hammered drunk, wow) I don't think it nearly lives up to the hype in these forums. Are seasons 4 and 5 really that good?

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 27, 2009

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Leviathan posted:

Just started watching season 4 of The Wire. I must say, it does get addictive after 5-6 episodes of the first season, but (other than a few moments of sheer brilliance Omar's courtroom scene, wow) I don't think it nearly lives up to the hype in these forums. Are seasons 4 and 5 really that good?

It's not so much that seasons 4/5 are "that" good but the whole series just gets a lot better on re-watch. The first time when I was watching it there's so much going on (and yet at the same time I felt nothing was happening), but when watching the same episodes again I was able to pick up on stuff that easily got missed the first go around.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
^
I've already forgotten a lot of the details of how season 1's plot developed and I just watched it recently. The plot just moves so slowly and there's so much cop/drug dealer jargon...I had to start watching with subtitles in late season 1 while pausing to look poo poo up on urbandictionary just so I could follow the loving thing.

Don't get me wrong though- I still think it's a quality show (maybe not the show) and I'll prolly try to do a rewatch once I get through it all.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I finished Buffy about a week or two ago and now I'm 2 episodes from the end of Angel season 1. It's been good so far...

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Started watching back through Veronica Mars for the second time. Wish there were more shows like this. Any recommendations on similar paced/plotted shows?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've finally started watching Freaks and Geeks. It's amazing. Easily one of my top five favorite shows. I can see how Judd Apatow became a film director, each episode feels so cinematic, and could stand on its own fairly well. Plus, I've seen so many changes to the characters over even just the 11 episodes I've seen so far, and they're written believably. It's really a triumph of everyone involved. I kinda don't want it to end.

dirigible stew
Feb 18, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

I've finally started watching Freaks and Geeks. It's amazing. Easily one of my top five favorite shows. I can see how Judd Apatow became a film director, each episode feels so cinematic, and could stand on its own fairly well. Plus, I've seen so many changes to the characters over even just the 11 episodes I've seen so far, and they're written believably. It's really a triumph of everyone involved. I kinda don't want it to end.

The one thing that bothered me about the show was that Sam looked like he should have been in 6th grade instead of a freshman. Neil as well but he also wasn't as annoying as Sam.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Started watching back through Veronica Mars for the second time. Wish there were more shows like this. Any recommendations on similar paced/plotted shows?
There've been recommendations regarding this - I believe in this very thread. Also a list of high-school-themed shows if you're into that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just shotgunned 30 Rock Season 2 in two sittings. I didn't even set out to do that, I just couldn't stop watching.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dirigible stew posted:

The one thing that bothered me about the show was that Sam looked like he should have been in 6th grade instead of a freshman. Neil as well but he also wasn't as annoying as Sam.

That would bother me more if there weren't freshman boys I went to school with just this year that didn't look as young as him. There really is alot of aging in those 4 years. It's really one of the more accurate depictions of high school, despite taking place in 1980. I know so many people like them, and I certainly identified with almost all of the characters at some point.

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."

Yoshifan823 posted:

When you're finished move on to Undeclared. Not as great as Freaks and Geeks but I liked it better.

As for me I've binged through seasons 2 and 3 of Supernatural in the last week. Nearing the end of season 4 now and then either going to move on to DS9 or Babylon5 which a mate lent me a few months ago and I still haven't gotten around to watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
I have a veritable goldmine of stuff to watch at the moment. I just finished ordering (in stages) the entire Doctor Who catalogue currently available on dvd, and have been making my way through what I've got. I've also got these dvds to watch:

- Entourage, seasons 1 and 2
- Deadwood, season 1
- Dead Like Me, seasons 1 and 2
- Deep Space Nine, season 1
- Six Feet Under, seasons 3-5
- Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
- Inspector Rex, season 1

Mid-year break, here I come.

Edit: Any advice on where to start? Because the Doctor Who is usually broken up into intervals of 4-6 episodes per dvd I'll probably keep watching that on the side, but any of those ones in the list?

Mitthrawnuruodo fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 28, 2009