Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
This is kinda weird but I got a new, bigger, faster hard drive to be the main drive in the computer I have Windows 7 on. The last build I had on here was 7077 but I wiped that install and did a fresh install with 7100. The problem have now is that I can't install Office 2007 at all in 7100! IT installed just fine in 7077, but when I try to install it, after entering the license key off the retail box and selecting what I want to install, it keeps throwing a dialog at me asking where to find a file, and it apparently does this for EVERY SINGLE FILE IT NEEDS TO INSTALL. I got through like 3000 file dialog boxes at one point and still hadn't made any progress. And when I finally go to cancel the install, Windows 7 pops up a dialog that says it'll adjust compatibility settings for the install program so that it will work, only it does the same thing. I even tried using Microsoft's downloadable 60 day trial of 2007, and a torrent of Home & Student (which I do own) in case my disc was messed up (which it isn't).

Anyone know what the heck is going wrong here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

hobb posted:

This didn't really work. I booted it up and it threw a slew of device driver errors around, then locked up my keyboard input.

Im kinda at my wits end here, nothing I've tried can extend my primary partition into the free space on my extended partition. I even tried moving my page file over to the D: partition as some places have said you can't extend a primary partition if it has a page file on it.

Still open to any ideas. :(

If you are trying to extend the primary partition into an extended partition, it will never work. An extended partition is a container for more partitions. Traditionally, you could only have four primary partitions. An extended partition through the partition information to another part of the drive so you could have as many as you desired. You will need to resize the extended partition down so that the free space isn't allocated to the extended partition itself.

Partition Magic used to do this (Haven't used Partition Magic since it was owned by Power Quest). And i know GParted and parted can, as well.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

fishmech posted:

This is kinda weird but I got a new, bigger, faster hard drive to be the main drive in the computer I have Windows 7 on. The last build I had on here was 7077 but I wiped that install and did a fresh install with 7100. The problem have now is that I can't install Office 2007 at all in 7100! IT installed just fine in 7077, but when I try to install it, after entering the license key off the retail box and selecting what I want to install, it keeps throwing a dialog at me asking where to find a file, and it apparently does this for EVERY SINGLE FILE IT NEEDS TO INSTALL. I got through like 3000 file dialog boxes at one point and still hadn't made any progress. And when I finally go to cancel the install, Windows 7 pops up a dialog that says it'll adjust compatibility settings for the install program so that it will work, only it does the same thing. I even tried using Microsoft's downloadable 60 day trial of 2007, and a torrent of Home & Student (which I do own) in case my disc was messed up (which it isn't).

Anyone know what the heck is going wrong here?

Sounds like something is goofy with your optical drive to me. Double-check cables and make sure everything's seated correctly?

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Compatability mode + run as admin + (make sure you have the right vista drivers, x64 or x86) and it should work. It has for me and a couple others in the thread with the issue

That did it, thanks.

Arsten posted:

If you are trying to extend the primary partition into an extended partition, it will never work. An extended partition is a container for more partitions. Traditionally, you could only have four primary partitions. An extended partition through the partition information to another part of the drive so you could have as many as you desired. You will need to resize the extended partition down so that the free space isn't allocated to the extended partition itself.

Partition Magic used to do this (Haven't used Partition Magic since it was owned by Power Quest). And i know GParted and parted can, as well.

The problem I guess is everything I've read said you can't do this without totally nuking the extended and starting over. I've puttered around with gparted and can't find anyway to otherwise get the free space unallocated from the extended partition.

hobb fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 21, 2009

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AlexDeGruven posted:

Sounds like something is goofy with your optical drive to me. Double-check cables and make sure everything's seated correctly?

If there was just something wrong with the optical drive, the download install and the torrent shouldn't have been affected, and if there was a problem with the optical drive, 7100 wouldn't have been installed at all since I installed it off a DVD-R. No matter where I put the files to install from the installer pops up this:

The files are always there, other computers in the house (running XP and Vista) have no problems installing from the files if they're copied to a hard drive or on the CD. In this case I got the Office Enterprise 60 day trial from Microsoft and copied the files to drive E:.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For lack of a better place to put this:
I'm going through my windows.old folder and deleting everything I either don't need or have already moved over. However, I've run into a problem with the SecureROM folder in \AppData\Roaming. There are two files there with ridiculous names (a string of non-Latin characters) that Explorer says are no longer in that location when I try to delete them. I've taken ownership, but when I try to apply full privileges to the files, I get an error that the file can't be found. How can I get rid of these things?

motoraway
Oct 12, 2003

How Swede it is
Quick question about the feature to allow you to stream music across Win7. The two computers sharing the music just need the same version of WMP, correct? It won't matter if one is 32 and the other 64?

The reason I ask is that my laptop runs 32 fine, but with 64 there was a compatibility issue. My desktop is running 32, but since its only a week or so old, I want to put 64 on it.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

hooah posted:

For lack of a better place to put this:
I'm going through my windows.old folder and deleting everything I either don't need or have already moved over. However, I've run into a problem with the SecureROM folder in \AppData\Roaming.

Google "delete securom files", there are instructions all over the place.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
I don't feel what you guys are going all crazy about. I've been using it on my secondary computer and it just feels like what is expected from a computer. Nothing about it stands out as fantastic (besides being a replacement for the vista abortion and looking modern). I've been using OS X for a while now and I am completely underwhelmed by Windows 7.

I will give it a bit of credit for having a bit better program responsiveness, but the memory management is still terrible. I just wish Microsoft would swallow it's pride and rebuild an OS from scratch over UNIX. I guess I'll continue to let my old PCs die and replace them with mac machines.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mozzie posted:

I will give it a bit of credit for having a bit better program responsiveness, but the memory management is still terrible.

How's that?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Mozzie posted:

I don't feel what you guys are going all crazy about. I've been using it on my secondary computer and it just feels like what is expected from a computer. Nothing about it stands out as fantastic (besides being a replacement for the vista abortion and looking modern). I've been using OS X for a while now and I am completely underwhelmed by Windows 7.

I will give it a bit of credit for having a bit better program responsiveness, but the memory management is still terrible. I just wish Microsoft would swallow it's pride and rebuild an OS from scratch over UNIX. I guess I'll continue to let my old PCs die and replace them with mac machines.

My mac is so awesome, I can't believe you guys use PCs. :smug:

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Mozzie posted:

I just wish Microsoft would swallow it's pride and rebuild an OS from scratch over UNIX.
In other words, not from scratch.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mozzie posted:

but the memory management is still terrible.

What makes you say this?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Wow, Mozzie is 4 for 4 so far.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Mozzie posted:

Man I wish there was some way to vote posts 5. Bravo sir.

Bleepblorp3587
Jun 1, 2003
MMOOZZZZIIEEEEEEE

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

fishmech posted:

Not quite true, you can directly upgrade from beta 7077 directly.

Bobulus posted:

You can upgrade from beta to RC if you're running 7077 without any ini changes, though. That's worth mentioning.

7077 isn't beta, it's a leaked build from between beta and RC.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Casao posted:

7077 isn't beta, it's a leaked build from between beta and RC.

It's still not the release candidate and in the beta category though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
The download is going really slow for me, would there be some drawback to using a torrent that I don't see? It's going to be exactly the same as what I get from MS, right?

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
So obviously you can search files and media with the start menu searchbar. But with things like music, how far can that go?

I'd like to do things like hit the win-key, then type "shuffle artist" and then have all the music by "artist" play shuffled. Possible?

As it stands now all the search gives me is a list of files that happen to be music. How can I make the search box smarter? Sort of like mashing in Launchy.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Before I start piling my stuff back on here, I just want to make sure its okay that my 'extended' partition reformatted as a primary for whatever reason.

Click here for the full 1276x788 image.

Since nothings actually on there yet it's not a problem to use something else to maybe turn it back into extended. I have no plans to actually seperate that into anymore partitions if thats the only caveat between them.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

The download is going really slow for me, would there be some drawback to using a torrent that I don't see? It's going to be exactly the same as what I get from MS, right?

It's hard to say with a torrent, as it is almost impossible to predict where the file is coming from, or what transfer speed you'll get. I find it hard to believe you are getting lovely speeds from MS, considering I easily got over 2mb+ download. Much faster than most torrents.

Thanks for the advice about compatibility mode, it got my G15 working.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
Anyone had a problem using RDP nested within another RDP?

I remote into our server at work, then into my workstation. It connects fine but it seems to display two cursors?
No big problem. Just a little something I noticed.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

4 Day Weekend posted:

Where can you get it?
Tech preview for 2010 leaked. I dont trust it, yet. 2007 excel is a crappily coded piece of poo poo for some things, aero snap and splitting windows among them (you can have two views of one spreadsheet withing the excel window, but not 2 excel windows. Really sucks for dual monitors.)

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx

Xithyl posted:

Is anyone using Soulseek?

I'm thinking it is the cause of my blue screens. Only ever seems to happen during random times when I have Soulseek open and I'm searching for files.

Mine is working fine. Haven't experienced any blue screens so far.

Jamz
May 12, 2007

Galoomp!

alseyn posted:

Using your display with DVI connection by any chance? Hook up analog until the install is done and you've installed latest Nvidia driver. Then switch it back to DVI.

Don't ask :v:

Plugged in an old CRT monitor and got everything installed and working. Thanks for the tip!

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Tech preview for 2010 leaked. I dont trust it, yet. 2007 excel is a crappily coded piece of poo poo for some things, aero snap and splitting windows among them (you can have two views of one spreadsheet withing the excel window, but not 2 excel windows. Really sucks for dual monitors.)

Ah ok , thanks. I'll check it out, but I'll stick with 07 for now.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Just wanted to repost my instructions for installing Windows 7 x64 on a Mac Pro (Late 2006).

I know they helped some people out during the beta.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

univbee posted:

Professional: This is the "Pro" version that will be generally available worldwide, preinstalled and in retail stores. This version will connect to domains and is the cheapest version of Vista that will feature the XP Mode mentioned earlier. Unlike Vista Business, Windows 7 Professional will include all the features of Home Premium like Media Center and DVD Playback.

Not giving the OP poo poo for this, but you probably should change it so that it says "...is the cheapest version of 7 that will feature the...".

Liking the RC, for the record.

Data
Jan 11, 2005
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to fully disable cleartype in windows 7? You couldn't in Vista (the option only partially disables it, which is infuriating). For that reason, and that reason alone I'm still using XP. Anyone?

Edit: Before anyone asks, yes it's tuned correctly. I find cleartype to be blurry and painful to use, and I much prefer clean black pixel outlines.

Data fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 22, 2009

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Data posted:

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to fully disable cleartype in windows 7? You couldn't in Vista (the option only partially disables it, which is infuriating). For that reason, and that reason alone I'm still using XP. Anyone?

Edit: Before anyone asks, yes it's tuned correctly. I find cleartype to be blurry and painful to use, and I much prefer clean black pixel outlines.

There isn't a way, just like there wasn't in vista.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Chances are if you dislike ClearType you haven't set it up right. It makes things look so much nicer and not fuzzy at all unless your monitor's broken or lovely.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

big mean giraffe posted:

Chances are if you dislike ClearType you haven't set it up right. It makes things look so much nicer and not fuzzy at all unless your monitor's broken or lovely.

That's what I thought, but using the cleartype thing time and time again, I can't get it to look 'good'.

That said, I'm on 17 inch LCD from 5+ years ago, so it may well not have a dense enough dot pitch to render cleartype well.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

brc64 posted:

Vinlaen posted:

Anybody know of a fast VNC server that works with Windows 7?
Any particular reason not to just use Remote Desktop instead?
I'm using Jaadu VNC on the iPhone and VNC seems to work a little better for me plus it's not blocked at work...

Data
Jan 11, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

Chances are no. I stated that in my post.

Fyi, usability studies show that at least 35% of people read regular type more easily, and this on a tiny 15" screen with a large resolution, which is the best case scenario for ClearType.
www.ischool.utexas.edu/~ct/chi_p618.pdf

quote:

That said, I'm on 17 inch LCD from 5+ years ago, so it may well not have a dense enough dot pitch to render cleartype well.
The only time I've ever seen ClearType look good is on my VGA PocketPC, which has incredible pixel density. I'm using two reasonably high quality BENQ and Samsung panels, 22" and 19", so the pixel density is much lower than on a tiny PocketPC screen.

Unexpected EOF posted:

There isn't a way, just like there wasn't in vista.
Well that's just grand isn't it. I wonder when XP will finally become unusable, probably another 4-5 years if Vista was anything to go by.

Data fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 22, 2009

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Well this is annoying: On my laptop, the brightness is turned all the way down, and doesn't change if I crank up the settings. The computer also sleeps on log-in now.

WTF

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Data posted:

The only time I've ever seen ClearType look good is on my VGA PocketPC, which has incredible pixel density. I'm using two reasonably high quality BENQ and Samsung panels, 22" and 19", so the pixel density is much lower than on a tiny PocketPC screen.

Cheap TN panels are your problem. ;) So you're telling me that every single tuning option looks fuzzy/blurry to you?

That .pdf you linked is in no way conclusive or have any real statistical relevance. A study involving a sample group of 25 people on an old rear end laptop, sign me up.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Stanley Pain posted:

Cheap TN panels are your problem. ;) So you're telling me that every single tuning option looks fuzzy/blurry to you?

Does to me, but I am still using this and have figured for some time that Cleartype would look a lot better on something more advanced.

Data posted:

Well that's just grand isn't it. I wonder when XP will finally become unusable, probably another 4-5 years if Vista was anything to go by.

Where is it not disabled when you disable it in Vista/7? I've not noticed cleartype anywhere after disabling it.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zuffox posted:

Well this is annoying: On my laptop, the brightness is turned all the way down, and doesn't change if I crank up the settings.

I have the same problem on my Dell Latitude 6400.
If I turn the brightness all the way down in Windows (via the Win+X shortcut), the display turns off, and it won't turn back on.

However, I can fix this by using the Fn + Left Arrow shortcut, to cycle the brightness modes. Maybe a similar keyboard shortcut will work for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Data posted:

Fyi, usability studies show that at least 35% of people read regular type more easily, and this on a tiny 15" screen with a large resolution, which is the best case scenario for ClearType.
www.ischool.utexas.edu/~ct/chi_p618.pdf

Chances are no. I stated that in my post.

Have you tried going through the cleartype tuner in 7? It made text even look better on an old as holy loving gently caress Dell all in one machine with built in old rear end 1024x768 panel.

I know you're set on getting rid of it, but I think you should give it one more try. When configured properly, I find the text to be clearer than without it. It's not supposed to be making type fuzzy in any way. It's supposed to be optimizing text for your monitor so that it IS crisp.

Also, that study doesn't quite say what you're saying it says. The first problem is that they didn't allow users to configure Cleartype themselves. We don't really know if the Cleartype settings they chose were truly the best for that monitor for all people. Some users may have done better with self-chosen Cleartype settings. The second problem is that those results are mostly based on user judgement, and with such a small sample size all of the results outside of the quantitative measurements(most of them) are much more prone to user reporting errors. There's also the issue that some of the quantitative results, like accuracy, will vary quite a bit from person to person regardless of Cleartype. People's reading and scanning skills just vary, and they assumed that switching back and forth between Cleartype and regular would have no effect on the subject. They didn't prove that assumption, and it's reasonable to assume that there is some time required to adapt between Cleartype and regular type. It is A study that sort of agrees with you, but it's not a GOOD study by any means. 25 people is just ridiculous.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 22, 2009