Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Data posted:

I could probably hold out till XP is completely obsolete - presumably dot pitch will decrease a lot in that time making ClearType far more tolerable.
I've got it turned off in 7 because, like you, I prefer the white-black-white, aliased appearance rather than the smooth but blurry (to me) appearance of it. I've found no location where it is bothersome, either.

I think you'll find that if it's on anywhere in 7 once turning it off, it's only on for the fonts that are several pixels wide to begin with so aliasing them with one subcolour pixel is really not that bad because it's not 1 colour - 1 black - 1 colour, rather that the black is many pixels thick and so takes off how obvious the effect is.

Then again, I turned it off in Vista and couldn't find any signs of it remaining on, so I have no idea where you found it to be on still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queztal
Jan 19, 2009

phosdex posted:

That method worked for me to enable AHCI.

I just tried it without problems. Works very well.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Mozzie posted:

I wonder how that looks with red blue 3d glasses

I happen to have some on hand and they do absolutely nothing of interest.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
I'm surprised anyone can deal with un-anti-aliased fonts at this point. Most fonts are now designed with font anti-aliasing (like ClearType) in mind, so when you turn it off, text looks absolutely terrible. Try it with any of the "C" fonts that started shipping with Vista.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
So I randomly got a weird error tonight. I'm on a site that requires java and it says I don't actually have the java plugin installed.. strange cause I do and it was working fine before. So I try to reinstall it and the installer gives an error 1723: Missing DLL or some poo poo.

It gives the same error when I try to uninstall it as well. I have no idea why java would randomly break like this. I haven't actually messed with anything prior to it doing this.

edit: alright I used the windows installer cleanup util to remove java that way, now I get this when i click yes:

:pwn:

edit^2: nm I fixed it, I missed a registry entry, after deleting that it reinstalled alright.

hobb fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 23, 2009

Nicktendo
May 30, 2008
Honestly whether they change anything from the RC or not it doesn't matter to me. I'll still be using Windows 7 as my main OS. I only have two issues I wish they would change/fix/add before they release. Hopefully sometime soon but who knows.

- The first is a strange bug that I can't find anywhere on the internet but every time I install Windows 7 it always happens. When I delete a file or move a file most of the time I have to refresh the folder before the changes can be seen. Extremely annoying.

- The second is I REALLY hope they stick in some kind of modifiers to the Superbar for added support. Like maybe tabs or separators at the least. The best solution for me would be stacks like the OSX dock but I doubt they'll be able to implement that.

Other than those problems I am utterly and thoroughly impressed with Windows 7. Way to go Microsoft!

queztal
Jan 19, 2009
I was having a very annoying problem last night. I was trying to copy over my music library (about 200 directories) and when I would drag them from my external hard drive to the music library, nothing would happen. When I would drag a few at a time, it would work fine. Eventually it ended up being an issue with a quote in a folder name. I copied the files from an EXT3 file system to NTFS on my external hard drive from my other PC and instead of giving me an error when I tried to copy the erroneous file name, Explorer decided to just do nothing at all. It took me forever to figure out this problem, too! Talk about ridiculous; I wish it would have just thrown an error at me from the start. This isn't a problem many people are ever likely to experience, but I can't be the only one. I guess now the only option I have is to go back to my old PC and rename the file on Linux and hope I can copy it over then.

queztal fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 23, 2009

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm trying to install RC 7 on my desktop. The dvd I burned it on boots in, shows the windows is loading screen, then goes into a pretty flowery desktop picture with a cursor, but no menu comes up. I'm probably going to try and burn another DVD but if anyone else has a better answer I'd be more than happy to hear it.

Edit:
Thanks I'll try that.
vvvvvvvv

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 23, 2009

queztal
Jan 19, 2009

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm trying to install RC 7 on my desktop. The dvd I burned it on boots in, shows the windows is loading screen, then goes into a pretty flowery desktop picture with a cursor, but no menu comes up. I'm probably going to try and burn another DVD but if anyone else has a better answer I'd be more than happy to hear it.

I had this same problem. Try waiting about ten minutes; it took about five minutes for it to come up for me, and I have no idea why. After waiting that long, everything went fine.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

queztal posted:

I had this same problem. Try waiting about ten minutes; it took about five minutes for it to come up for me, and I have no idea why. After waiting that long, everything went fine.

Ditto for build 7000. I have no idea why it took so long, too. I cancelled it twice before deciding 'fuckit, I'm patient, I'll wait' and lo and behold, something happened.

I thought it was harking back to my himem.sys error days where it'd hang for hours. Thankfully not.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Still no dice on the sound card, but I just discovered something nifty.

The taskbar icon shows progress of file transfers. This is fromcopying my Steam folder. Don't know if it was like that in Vista, but coming from XP that's just an awesome feature.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Baggins posted:

Still no dice on the sound card, but I just discovered something nifty.

The taskbar icon shows progress of file transfers. This is fromcopying my Steam folder. Don't know if it was like that in Vista, but coming from XP that's just an awesome feature.
It's new. Vista was pretty similar to XP in that regard.

Now if only Opera could pull their thumb out their rear end and use just a modicum of the Taskbar functionalities ...

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
-snip-

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 10, 2014

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm installed and up and running, trying 64bit. Everything is fine except that my Turtle Beach sound card doesn't have 64 bit drivers, their website says they'll be out this summer. I can deal with onboard sound for now.

Is there a recommended free anti-virus for Win 7 64 bit?

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm running Avast! without any issues so far.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Sounder posted:

anyone gotten FLAC playback working in WMP12? My usual codec pack (cccp) ain't working its usual magic.

I was under the impression that WMP had been locked to certain codecs for the beta/RC only. Said lock was being removed once it went retail. I could be thinking of the wrong thing, though.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

Baggins posted:

I'm running Avast! without any issues so far.

Avira Antivir also seems to be puttering along fine.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
I use Avira as well. Works great.

queztal
Jan 19, 2009
I've only gotten that Avira "Don't be bugged by the Internet" pop-up twice; should I expect it to come up more? I found a few ways to disable it but was going to wait until it came up again.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

queztal posted:

I've only gotten that Avira "Don't be bugged by the Internet" pop-up twice; should I expect it to come up more? I found a few ways to disable it but was going to wait until it came up again.

It will keep happening, and the fix doesn't cause problems; just do it now.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The last time I had Avira installed that drat thing came up every time I updated, which I had it set to do daily. This time it (and the splash screen) is disabled and everything runs absolutely silent, it is wonderful.

Rabo Karabekian
May 6, 2007
I only use Sateen Dura-Luxe

queztal posted:

Same thing happened to me, annoying as heck as it turns a 25 minute install into 45 minutes.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Does anyone know of a good 64 bit video converter? I'd want iPod compatible mp4 files.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Nicktendo posted:

- The second is I REALLY hope they stick in some kind of modifiers to the Superbar for added support. Like maybe tabs or separators at the least. The best solution for me would be stacks like the OSX dock but I doubt they'll be able to implement that.

What the hell is the "Superbar"? You mean the taskbar? If that's what you mean, "Stacks" have been around a long time in the form toolbars. Right click, Toolbars, New Toolbar. Then choose a folder. Then your folder shows up as a vertical menu, like a stack but less animated.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
-snip-

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 10, 2014

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Factor Mystic posted:

What the hell is the "Superbar"?

Isn't that the official term for the combined taskbar/quicklaunch?

jayhat
Feb 27, 2008
Just something from my own experience multibooting with the RC that I thought I'd bring up.

If you would rather not use BCD to manage your multiboots, install the RC on a seperate physical device to your grub/lilo/etc install's partition.

Though grub was recoverable after installing the RC, every time I booted into 7 it reset the HD's boot flag to its own partition, meaning that the next time I rebooted it went into BCD instead of GRUB. I couldn't find any way to stop this from happening, so I just installed it on a separate HD and used the bios boot order to ensure that grub was entered first.

Other than that, loving 7.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
The only thing I wish the superultrabar had is notifications. I want my Outlook icon to change when I get new mail and tell me how many new messages I have. Tray notifications loving suck, and tray icons are next to pointless now. They're better in 7 than they were in XP, but all they've really done is make it easier to hide them. Time to ditch the tray completely.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

xamphear posted:

The only thing I wish the superultrabar had is notifications. I want my Outlook icon to change when I get new mail and tell me how many new messages I have. Tray notifications loving suck, and tray icons are next to pointless now. They're better in 7 than they were in XP, but all they've really done is make it easier to hide them. Time to ditch the tray completely.

I actually agree. With the features the superbar has and aero peek and pinning the start bar doesn't need a tray, there's no reason you can't do all of it with the icons. Then they could give you an option to center icons on the taskbar and make it look nicer.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I like the idea of notifications, but I disagree about the system tray. It's still vital, without it you'd have a million apps running in your superbar cluttering it up. I love the superbar, but if everything in my tray became fixed to my bar I'd be irritated as poo poo by the whole thing despite it's usefulness.

How it is now, with a tray that is almost entirely hidden, is much preferable.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tarwedge posted:

I've been running 7 x64 for about 3 weeks now and it's suddenly developed a weird networking issue.

Basically if any application is downloading anything whatsoever (browser downloading a file, a newsreader downloading binaries, a torrent client downloading a torrent, something downloading an update) the entire system just shits itself and grinds to a halt (although the download chugs along at its usual speed, whatever that happens to be). Mouseclicks become unresponsive, the cursor turns jerky and flits around or refuses to move in certain directions, it pretty much just breaks until the download completes at which point everything goes back to normal.

Anyone seen it do this before?

It's doing it with heavy local network traffic aswell now, fucksakes. Time to start reinstalling drivers/the whole goddamn OS.

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF

xamphear posted:

There's no way we should be ditching the tray completely, it just needs to be properly sectioned up. System try for background system tasks that need to be accessed, taskbar for active applications. The new windows 7 taskbar has support for badges over application icons, which is what messenger uses to overlay the green/orange/red status icon over its application icon. It would be pretty easy for outlook to add a little highlight icon with a number for new messages, it's just up to them to add the feature to the application

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I can change my sound output device now without having to re-open any applications to get it to switch over now. This for some reason makes me very happy.

CrackHoor
Aug 5, 2005
Trophy Wives Mounted

Altoid posted:

This is probably a dumb question but I don't know much about dual boots. Basically I want to do the easiest of dual boots and keep my install of XP on my old drive and install windows 7 on a new hard that I have.

I just did this a few days back, no drive removal required. With both drives connected, boot from the DVD, make sure you choose Custom install, and point the installer at your new drive.

Step-by-step here, step 3, part 6, point 2:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/installation-instructions.aspx

Now when I boot, I'm asked whether I want Windows 7 or 'Earlier version of Windows'. In the system properties somewhere, I also found the option to set the boot menu default back to XP, it's working so far. Also, my drive letters are swapped in Win7, I assume this is to force C: as the OS install partition?

edit: clarity.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Anyone else having the strange problem of not being able to delete files off of their hard drive? This particular drive I am having problems with is a raid0 setup, and I think it has something to do with permissions.

I've tried changing permissions, but it just goes back to read only, I can't change it. Whats going on?

The only solution seems to be rebooting, and sometimes it takes a few reboot to get it working. Again, I can see the drive just fine, I just can't delete things off of it.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm installed and up and running, trying 64bit. Everything is fine except that my Turtle Beach sound card doesn't have 64 bit drivers, their website says they'll be out this summer. I can deal with onboard sound for now.

I recommend that you don't use AVG. It doesn't work well with Windows 7.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

CrackHoor posted:

Now when I boot, I'm asked whether I want Windows 7 or 'Earlier version of Windows'.

Is that asked by the Windows GUI ? I've got the same setup (XP on one HDD, 7 on the other) and I just hit F12 and boot from the other HDD if I want to use XP.

CrackHoor
Aug 5, 2005
Trophy Wives Mounted

4 Day Weekend posted:

Is that asked by the Windows GUI ?

Right after my BIOS screen, before any Windows splash screens, without pressing any keys during boot, I get this:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

Tarwedge posted:

It's doing it with heavy local network traffic aswell now, fucksakes. Time to start reinstalling drivers/the whole goddamn OS.

Is it only happening with network traffic? sounds a bit like: http://winhlp.com/node/10 if it doesn't... Sounds like something HDD related in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I was thinking about the system tray earlier, too. I used set putty and utorrent in the tray because they were open all the time, but today I realised that they didn't need to be now that there's more space, so set them to the taskbar.

However, my utilities like Catalyst, SetPoint, NOD32 etc. are well suited to the tray, so it's still useful. Apps themselves now need to use the taskbar better, though.