Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

renraku posted:

A rolling chair on that floor would loving drive me nuts.

I was just about to say the same thing, kind of.

I HAD a rolling chair upstairs on a wooden floor and not oly was it constantly rolling all over the place but the noise you could hear downstairs from all that rolling about was horrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

i used to have cable management

SpeedoJoe
Feb 23, 2006
My new (sort of) desk is awesome.

Massive, but awesome.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

SpeedoJoe fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 24, 2009

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

SpeedoJoe posted:

My new (sort of) desk is awesome.

Massive, but awesome.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

I didn't think people actually used mice left-handed. My dad's a southpaw, but he uses his mouse with his right hand.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

I didn't think people actually used mice left-handed. My dad's a southpaw, but he uses his mouse with his right hand.

I've seen it once. Person didn't have a right hand.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mr. Fix It posted:

I actually bought a left-handed version of the Logitech MX610. While I typically mouse right handing, Photoshop et al are a lot easier to use with my left, since I have greater dexterity and coordination with that hand. I stopped using it when I bought a tablet, though.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Sir Nigel posted:

I've seen it once. Person didn't have a right hand.

Every single person I've seen use the mouse in their left hand has been someone who is not left-handed. Go figure.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

renraku posted:

Ema Nymton posted:

A rolling chair on that floor would loving drive me nuts.
You'd think so, but the linoleum has a lot of texture and the chair doesn't slide until I push on it intently.

Thirteenth Step posted:

I was just about to say the same thing, kind of.

I HAD a rolling chair upstairs on a wooden floor and not oly was it constantly rolling all over the place but the noise you could hear downstairs from all that rolling about was horrific.
I try not to move it too much as not to bother the neighbors, but I don't know how bad it might really be :(

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 24, 2009

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Why don't you get one of those plastic mats?

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

Zuffox posted:

Wouldn't that make it to where it would roll around unintentionally?

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Not unless you put it on an inclined plane. And it'll protect the floor, too - I always hated getting scuff marks all over hardwood.

Welshy
Oct 13, 2006
Towel
Nothing special but it does the job.

Also that is Dr Karl Kennedy on the HL2 poster

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Zuffox posted:

On linoleum? Not really necessary.

SpeedoJoe
Feb 23, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

I've known a few other left handed people myself who use mice with their right.

I swap the buttons, too.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
My dad's a lefty and he uses the mouse with his left hand. I am also a lefty but I do it the normal way, not some demon freak left-sided way.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I'm a lefty too, but I use the mouse with my right hand. As someone said earlier, I'm slightly less dexterous with my right hand, but it doesn't cause problems in FPS games or anything. The only thing I can't do is draw/write with MSPaint, because I'd be writing with my 'off hand'. It's kinda weird, actually.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Paradoxish posted:

I totally do not get you people with multiple computers all over your desk. I sort of used to do this when I was in highschool, but it drives me crazy now. My laptop is hardly ever even open on my desk, since two monitors on one computer is about a million times more practical and convenient. I do have a second computer that acts as a fileserver/torrentbox/web development test server, but it's headless and lives in my closet where nobody can see its shame.

Both having multiple computers and having multiple monitors have their individual advantages and disadvantages. Really the protip is to run multiple monitors with a laptop of another OS (say, a macbook) on the side via Synergy.

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Drinking, Driving, Thinking of You
I am surprised that I never posted my pictures of my rig in here:

In this first picture you get a wide shot of everything.

Without moving things this is the best shot you'll get of my PC. That's my beast!

As you may be able to tell from my left monitor (and my oldest) I was running Windows Vista (Home Premium SP2 x64). I've now made the change to Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Finally got flooring done, finally picked out desks and put them together and today FINALLY got glass tops installed, so I could move back into my office.

Click here for the full 1024x681 image.

Click here for the full 681x1024 image.

Click here for the full 1024x681 image.

Desks: Ikea Mikael
Bookcase: Ikea Expedit

Tech poo poo:
Dell 3007WFP
Dell Mini9
Workstation: E8400 Watercooled and OC'd to 3.5Ghz

It's and odd place for my tower, but I rarely need to get to it for anything, so if I do need to burn a DVD or some weird poo poo, I just have to get up and walk around. I still need to order new speaker setup and a rug that will reach under both desks so I can freely move without running my flooring.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Portrait mode rules. But only one.

What are these chairs called? Goon-approved right?

To contribute:

Soon to be upgrading to a Dell XPS. No more of this Mac stuff.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

Nigel Tufnel posted:

To contribute:

Soon to be upgrading to a Dell XPS. No more of this Mac stuff.

Are those Sennheiser 415's? (also I just bought that tablet. Hell yeah!)

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

Stuntman Mike posted:

Are those Sennheiser 415's? (also I just bought that tablet. Hell yeah!)

Nah they're eH250s that I borrowed off a friend. Also borrowed the Mac mini and the keyboard. I sure have borrowed a lot of stuff ...

Good purchase on the tablet. No more RSI in my clicking finger. I was skeptical that it would work on such a wide area like a 24" monitor but it's been great. Needs some getting used to but I'm nearly there after a month of fairly heavy usage.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sir Nigel posted:

The Galant Ikea desks will hold 300lbs. I have one with the triangle legs (get the T-Legs, the triangle ones are hard to level) and it held my two 24" monitors, two built computers (each case weighing over 35 pounds) and me standing on it while trying to run some wire, so thats over 300lbs.

Galants are godlike, absolutely my favourite Ikea purchase. Solid and very sturdy.

I got mine with the ^ shaped legs (i.e. an A without the crossbar), rather than the T. This is so that I can drag things between the legs without picking them up (e.g. CPU, bin, foot.)

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

we need more 2209wa's in this thread

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Looks like a Herman Miller Aeron.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Yes, my computer desk is a set of shelves hanging off the wall. Also I have my new laptop precariously balanced on there.

I apologize for the horribly blurry cell phone picture.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

complex posted:

Looks like a Herman Miller Aeron.

Yup, it's an Aeron. I have one at work. They're not inexpensive, but they're pretty spectacular when you have to sit in one for 8+ hours a day.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Mikey-San posted:

Yup, it's an Aeron. I have one at work. They're not inexpensive, but they're pretty spectacular when you have to sit in one for 8+ hours a day.

http://www.gabrielross.com/office-7...185f24299dc7f88

:pwn:

I should say loving not!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
If you're in the market for an expensive but nice office chair, I would also recommend that you look at the Steelcase Leap. About the same price as the Aeron but the design is several years younger. I've never sat in an Aeron, but I'm very happy with the Leap - so much so that I bought one for my bedroom Xbox gaming/computer use on top of the ones we got for the home office.

Of course you should always actually sit in and play with the settings on any thing like this before you fork over your cash!

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Finally got a picture of my new setup.

As for a chair, I ended up picking up a Sealy Task Chair from Office Max. It's made out of that memory foam poo poo and really comfortable for the price.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Can you send me your wallpaper? I have a thing for cityscapes... especially high-res, widescreen ones!

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Interface Lift is your friend.

Here's the one I've got: http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_beta/tags/53/scene/city/index5.html

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

This is my new desk, I got it last week, and I like it very much indeed.

Excuse the wires, not really had a chance to organise them properly yet.

The left side: change sorter, comics etc, and general dumping ground. also tasteful gentlemen's literature.

And the right side. Both of the monitors are running from the laptop, the tower on the floor is out of use at the moment. Also nifty iPod dock/mixer, also hooked up to the whole setup which in turn is hooked up to a lovely set of 4ft tall Wharfedale speakers. Very nice.

puffin
Dec 19, 2000

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I don't know about goon-approved, they're just drat comfy chairs. They were bought before I started working here.

eighty8
Jan 24, 2007
Just finished my rooms rebuild. New computer, new paint, new desk and shelving.

http://img.waffleimages.com/4789970b1b6d2224ed6f1dc4f59f873426569e02/IMG_3058.JPG
http://img.waffleimages.com/2a440bcf75961b87de40784977d73460085c5ecb/IMG_3059.JPG
http://img.waffleimages.com/8911a7b90d4c4d4d26e1218faf952bfb0edc99d7/IMG_3060.JPG
http://img.waffleimages.com/8b9ec9633e56b99e6efdbee40d726cb312f18897/IMG_3061.JPG
http://img.waffleimages.com/d2872623152458c0aeff0a4d3163950336c099ed/IMG_3062.JPG
http://img.waffleimages.com/033003b5664be031e17f620403ffc6a28911ed03/IMG_3063.JPG
http://img.waffleimages.com/838b6037590e49ad6193a5c3c51dc6cb48656a3e/IMG_3064.JPG
http://img.waffleimages.com/5dee5a3705a6e219894f71ce44ccc999c4a93d3e/IMG_3065.JPG
http://img.waffleimages.com/d009a5f8fbf1a8fbc167008a9584ca32f5dbc0ee/IMG_3066.JPG

Edit: Thanks for that George

eighty8 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 2, 2009

georgelazenby
Apr 14, 2004
georgelazenby
^^here:

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

puffin posted:

Is the Intuous4 as incredible functioning as it is looking? Also nice NAD amp, which is it?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I have one of those cable caddies to keep the wires from showing, but after a year I'd have to spend half an hour just to untangle and restuff everything up there.

And a shittier image of my downstairs "desktop". I actually use this computer more now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

The Aphasian posted:

I have one of those cable caddies to keep the wires from showing, but after a year I'd have to spend half an hour just to untangle and restuff everything up there.

And a shittier image of my downstairs "desktop". I actually use this computer more now.

Jesus that's a huuge TV for that stand. I have the same stand and my 37" + receiver is already causing the wood to bow in the middle.