Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Mirror's Edge runs fine on my system. 64 bit too! Non of the games that I play refuse to work on my Windows 7 installation. But I'm sure there will be one or two rogue games that will not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Bonobos posted:

As someone who is currently in a situation where a format is necessary - I'd like to install Windows 7 on my Dell 530. This is primarily a gaming rig.

How is gaming on 7 compared to Vista? I play a lot of old Steam games. Also, will I have to install any additional drivers? I had to install a boatload of drivers last time I installed Vista. I assume I should just use Vista drivers in that particular case?
Try downloading and running Upgrade Advisor Beta and see, if Windows reports any incompatible software. Assuming your computer is in a state to do so.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Just an update, I was able to figure out bcdedit last night and get my XP partition booted into. Had to copy the ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini from my wife's computer, but it worked.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Sorry for dragging on the systray argument... but I agree that it still needs to stick around. I'm reluctant to make the comparison, but OSX has nearly the same thing (some apps run solely in the Menu Bar, Quicksilver and SMC Fan Control spring to mind).

In my mind, background 'utilities' should run in the tray while 'applications' should run in the superultraomnimegabar. I switched uTorrent from living in the systray to the taskbar, and I like it there. However, I still prefer my virus scanner's controls to live in the systray. I don't want EVERYTHING cluttering up the taskbar!

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
Winrar's shell extension doesn't handle UAC / doesn't elevate properly when extracting files from the right click menu... any alternatives or fixes? 7-zip?

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

confirmed, 7-zip's integration works fine in 7.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
I'm trying to delete a folder which I, for whatever bloody reason don't have the permissions to delete, but I can't enter Safe Mode.

Is it still F8 at boot, or have they created some new swanky system that I am unaware of?

cnrkb fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 25, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Kameleon posted:

Worth noting: I had to run 7-Zip as admin once in order to get the integration and file associations working. This only seems to happen with the 64-bit builds.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

Kameleon posted:

Make sure you install the 64 bit version of 7zip if you have a 64 bit install.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Mr_Person posted:

Worth noting: I had to run 7-Zip as admin once in order to get the integration and file associations working. This only seems to happen with the 64-bit builds.
Weird, I didn't ever have to do that.

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 14, 2013

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Installed this Windows 7 RC build 7100 a few days ago and am having headache with the permission/security settings. Essentially it will not allow me to change the permissions of anything on the c:\ drive which holds the OS. I am logging in as an administrator, created another admin, created a standard user with full permissions and started up in windows safe mode to no avail. I have of course googled this but it mostly led to threads complaining about the issue causing them to be unable to patch/install their mmo's.

edit: I have also tried setting object permissions with no luck.

Levin fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 26, 2009

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

^^ have you tried taking ownership of the files? Are these files you created before upgrading to Windows 7?

Edited the OP with some info about the Superbar, tray, and 7-zip integration, and did some general cleanup and re-wording of things.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

univbee posted:

^^ have you tried taking ownership of the files? Are these files you created before upgrading to Windows 7?

Edited the OP with some info about the Superbar, tray, and 7-zip integration, and did some general cleanup and re-wording of things.

You might also want to say you should install the 64bit version of 7-zip if you have the 64 bit OS. That was my problem.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Zuffox posted:

I'm trying to delete a folder which I, for whatever bloody reason don't have the permissions to delete, but I can't enter Safe Mode.

Is it still F8 at boot, or have they created some new swanky system that I am unaware of?

It's still F8 at boot. Have you tried taking ownership of the folder? Once you take ownership you can then give yourself the appropriate permissions.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Orgophlax posted:

Just an update, I was able to figure out bcdedit last night and get my XP partition booted into. Had to copy the ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini from my wife's computer, but it worked.

The other option would have been to run the 7 installer again and select repair. It autodetects windows installations and should have offered to fix the booloader options.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

kapinga posted:

It's still F8 at boot. Have you tried taking ownership of the folder? Once you take ownership you can then give yourself the appropriate permissions.
Then what the heck is up with mah Windows. :smith:

Ownership? As in granting myself all sorts of permissions to edit the folder? Didn't work. I've reinstalled the program that used the folder, so I probably won't run into this problem again for a while. Still weird, though.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

fishmech posted:

Yeah, regular FireFox 3 runs like poo poo on Windows 7 for some reason. Use the 3.5 betas http://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=firefox-3.5b4&os=win&lang=en-US with the WinFox program https://brentf.com/blog/software/winfox-ndash-firefox-and-windows-7/ to get the Aero Peek functionality for FireFox tabs.

So, I think I am missing something. I had to had noticed that Firefox was moving sluggish so I took your advice and downloaded the beta, much snappier and all was well. Then I downloaded Winfox but I don't notice anything different about Firefox. The only difference I see is an extra window opened up that has the Windows 7 thinking circle thing. Having Firefox run like it used to though is pretty sweet.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

I threw Win7 64 on a spare hard drive I had in my closet and I must say it's pretty slick. It's a lot like Vista, of course, but it really sort of gets it right. Love the new taskbar being a lot more the OS X dock.

Anyway, has anyone had any luck getting PHP5 to install? It seems to install for me, but it doesn't want to actually run or install itself as an Apache module...

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

univbee posted:

I took ownership of the files before but that did nothing, specifically I cannot change the read-only setup for files/folders. The next option is partitioning the drive and a fresh install of the client.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Has anyone managed to get Age of Empires 2 to work properly on x64? most of the colours in the water are inverted, as well as some of the grass. I can't seem to find a fix that works.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

I'm having a problem with windows media player in windows 7. I got some new music (girltalk) and when i moved in into my music folder, wmp didn't add it to the music library(which includes the folder i put girltalk (my music) into. I couldn't find a way to make it manually add those songs so i decided to just remove my music from wmps library and readd it. Now media player won't add any of my songs to its library. Is they a way to manually force it to add my music and display it?

johndoe7776059
Aug 31, 2001

Corte posted:

I took ownership of the files before but that did nothing, specifically I cannot change the read-only setup for files/folders. The next option is partitioning the drive and a fresh install of the client.

Try taking ownership of the drive itself, then make sure you have full permissions for it.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Codiusprime posted:

So, I think I am missing something. I had to had noticed that Firefox was moving sluggish so I took your advice and downloaded the beta, much snappier and all was well. Then I downloaded Winfox but I don't notice anything different about Firefox. The only difference I see is an extra window opened up that has the Windows 7 thinking circle thing. Having Firefox run like it used to though is pretty sweet.
It's supposed to allow for the IE-style hover-over-taskbar-icon-and-get-a-window-for-each-tab interface. That said, I never could get it to work - it'd just crash for me each time I ran it, even on 3.5 beta, so I dunno what's going on there.

That said, if the speed increased as promised is true, I'm going to install it when I get home because FF3 is sluggish for me too and semi-frequently decides to sit there and do sweet F all for multiple seconds at a time. I'll test this out when I get home and report back.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
Has anyone tried an RDP session nested within another RDP?
It seems to lag the original PC's cursor behind.

Never used to happen with XP. Not sure if it was in Vista. It's no big deal really. Just something I noticed.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump
Apologies for asking something stupid, but what's the right way about going about activating Win7 RC/build 7100? I'd prefer to keep this as a gaming OS, since it actually runs things that were previously stuttery on XP86 and Vista64. Do I just need to dig out the valid CD key for either of those two things, or is there something I'm missing somewhere around the official download links?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Alexandr posted:

Apologies for asking something stupid, but what's the right way about going about activating Win7 RC/build 7100? I'd prefer to keep this as a gaming OS, since it actually runs things that were previously stuttery on XP86 and Vista64. Do I just need to dig out the valid CD key for either of those two things, or is there something I'm missing somewhere around the official download links?

Here are the Beta keys MS gave out

64-bit key
7XRCQ-RPY28-YY9P8-R6HD8-84GH3
RFFTV-J6K7W-MHBQJ-XYMMJ-Q8DCH
482XP-6J9WR-4JXT3-VBPP6-FQF4M
D9RHV-JG8XC-C77H2-3YF6D-RYRJ9
JYDV8-H8VXG-74RPT-6BJPB-X42V4

32-bit key
4HJRK-X6Q28-HWRFY-WDYHJ-K8HDH
QXV7B-K78W2-QGPR6-9FWH9-KGMM7
6JKV2-QPB8H-RQ893-FW7TM-PBJ73
GG4MQ-MGK72-HVXFW-KHCRF-KW6KY
TQ32R-WFBDM-GFHD2-QGVMH-3P9GC

They should activate Beta 7000/RC 7100 until March 2010 I believe.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Out of curiosity, do we know for sure if that's all of them? Sure enough, I see my key in that list (and I've never shared it with anyone). I thought they tried giving out unique keys at the beginning of the beta, but then relented and used a small set of keys for everyone.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

syphon posted:

Out of curiosity, do we know for sure if that's all of them? Sure enough, I see my key in that list (and I've never shared it with anyone). I thought they tried giving out unique keys at the beginning of the beta, but then relented and used a small set of keys for everyone.

Yeah that's the 5 that got repeated. Some people did get unique keys but they all work the same.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

c0burn posted:

Yeah that's the 5 that got repeated. Some people did get unique keys but they all work the same.

Weird. Mine's not on the list and I got mine fairly recently.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It might be useful to add into the OP that unsigned drivers can be installed by pulling up the F8 menu during bootup and selecting "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement". You can install unsigned drivers until you reboot.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump
Oh, thank you so much. I doubt I'd have stumbled upon those as easily as having them posted here.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Discovered another nifty feature in WMP yesterday. If you have a DVD ISO mounted in PowerISO and drag in any file from the VIDEO_TS folder, WMP starts the DVD as if you just put in the DVD itself.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see that there's very little swap going. I had a few torrents going and I was alternating between watching a movie and browsing, but my RAM usage was at 83%, or 5 of 6GB in use. The page file however never went above 200MB during this time.

However, when I exited all applications the RAM usage still hovered at around 5GB "in use" with the last GB being cached. I didn't test to see if that would get released if I started up another memory-hungry application, but I can only assume it does. Is this for fast startup of the applications if I decide to reopen them straight away?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Weird, I'm running on a system with only 2gb of RAM, and it still runs great. I can't imagine using 5gb just for torrents, browsing, and movies (I have all of that and more running most nights). It's gotta be how Windows handles memory management these days.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

syphon posted:

Weird, I'm running on a system with only 2gb of RAM, and it still runs great. I can't imagine using 5gb just for torrents, browsing, and movies (I have all of that and more running most nights). It's gotta be how Windows handles memory management these days.

Hell, I'm doing this on systems with 1gb.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

syphon posted:

I honestly have no idea, but it's still nice not to hear the hard drive being hammered with the swap all the time. XP on the same rig with 2GB installed swapped like there was no tomorrow under the same load.

Has there been any papers on memory management in Win7 yet? Would be an interesting read.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

syphon posted:

Windows is loading stuff into memory and keeping it there so that your memory doesn't go unused. It's actually the way memory should be used, but we're used to wanting a large unused memory number.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

Josh Lyman posted:

Windows is loading stuff into memory and keeping it there so that your memory doesn't go unused. It's actually the way memory should be used, but we're used to wanting a large unused memory number.

That's right but try explaining that to somebody who thinks Vista or 7 were bad because "they use up all the ram"...

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Drinking, Driving, Thinking of You
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate build 7127 x64. I have HDCP hardware and had no difficulty viewing HD-DVD's and Blu-ray disks in Vista Home Premium x64. I am using a combo drive by LG, and I really don't want to have to trade in my HD-DVD collection in order to view my collection on my computer. Has anyone found a working solutions for Windows 7 yet? Blu-rays work fine with the players I've tried out, including the one that came with the drive (PowerDVD v7.3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

G-Philez posted:

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate build 7127 x64. I have HDCP hardware and had no difficulty viewing HD-DVD's and Blu-ray disks in Vista Home Premium x64. I am using a combo drive by LG, and I really don't want to have to trade in my HD-DVD collection in order to view my collection on my computer. Has anyone found a working solutions for Windows 7 yet? Blu-rays work fine with the players I've tried out, including the one that came with the drive (PowerDVD v7.3).

I have the same drive I believe. I recently watched Terminator 2 on HD DVD on Windows 7 x64 using the Arcsoft player. However I am also using Slysoft's AnyDVD HD.

I also noted that I was able to watch the film on a cloned display (the film displayed on both displays), in the past this wasn't possible and only played on the monitor marked as the main display. Google led me to believe this was due to restrictions. Has this now changed or is it something Slysoft has recently got around?