Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Drinking, Driving, Thinking of You
I read that the ArcSoft player would possibly fix, but then I installed ArcSoft TotalMedia Extreme v1.0.9.4 and updated it... and it told me there were known compatibility problems when I tried playing one of my HD-DVD titles. It's probably just not the correct player I'm guessing.

I have not tried Slysoft's AnyDVD HD though. That's definitely new to me. Does one program somehow benefit from the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
AnyDVD installs a system wide filter to decrypt HD titles and remove region locking on the fly.

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Thanks! I posted that I was getting some software in this post, but due to the advice in here I went ahead and got the trial software.

G-Philez fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 4, 2009

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

G-Philez posted:

Thanks! I am getting TMT 3.0.1.20 and SlySoft.AnyDVD.HD.v6.5.4.4.Multilingual.WinAll-BRD.

:filez:

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Just get the demos man, You can use the Slysoft software for 30 days and the Arcsoft software for 15 days without restriction. If it all works then buy it.

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
I've now gotten AnyDVD trial and am installing it now. I'll be getting the other very soon and hopefully everything will work.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

c0burn posted:

:filez:

Would you expect anything less from someone named 'G-Philez'?

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Mensur posted:

Did you have UAC disabled?
Never in my life.

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005

DarthBlingBling posted:

Just get the demos man, You can use the Slysoft software for 30 days and the Arcsoft software for 15 days without restriction. If it all works then buy it.

The demos did what they promised to do. I am now going to see if I need to have both programs or just one... TotalMedia Theater 3 appears to be a fantastic program. Thanks again everyone!

And in regards to my name... well, G for my first initial. I was an X-Files fan and was part of a fan club of X-Philes... hence X-Philes. Then I changed the s to a z just because it was a common thing for hackers to do at the time, and, yes, I used to hack. Mind you, this is over 10 years ago.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, well, if you used to HACK then...

:rolleyes:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Clear out fellas, this guy used to hack!

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
His other life is in computers, where he goes by the hacker alias... Neo....

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

G-Philez posted:

The demos did what they promised to do. I am now going to see if I need to have both programs or just one... TotalMedia Theater 3 appears to be a fantastic program. Thanks again everyone!

And in regards to my name... well, G for my first initial. I was an X-Files fan and was part of a fan club of X-Philes... hence X-Philes. Then I changed the s to a z just because it was a common thing for hackers to do at the time, and, yes, I used to hack. Mind you, this is over 10 years ago.

1990's IRC ----> that way

/tr0ut G-Philez

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
I wasn't making a big deal out of it. I was just stating why my name was what it was. Yes, I was big into IRC as well... but I have not had the time to do all of that since I'm now pushing 30.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

G-Philez posted:

I wasn't making a big deal out of it. I was just stating why my name was what it was. Yes, I was big into IRC as well... but I have not had the time to do all of that since I'm now pushing 30.
No one cares about your name you colossal retard.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The name? Oh that's Philez. Like Files but better, named for all the poo poo I am stealing at this very moment. You may have heard of me, I am sorta a big deal in IRC.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hi I'm Philez McGee,

you might remember me from such groups as THG, and TRSI. :whatup:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
HOLY poo poo.

We have someone posting on here that USE TO HACK?

SWEET. Do you know ZeroCool?

EDIT:

So what version of AOL did you use? 3.0 was da bomb.

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Congrats, you've driven it completely into the ground. Hooves and all.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
I don't want to derail the thread but:

Windows 7 is sometimes accessing my HDD for what seems like minutes when I'm not really doing anything - well reading stuff in Firefox 3.0.10 [edit]oh, read over the posts that said to get the 3.5 beta - I'll do that now in the hopes of it fixing everything.[/edit]

I don't want it to do that - my drive is loud and meh... I'd prefer it a lot if the poor thing wasn't in use all the time.

Is it swapping even though there's only about 2GB of ram in use?

Ugh, All in one gestures doesn't work in Firefox 3.5 - I'm going crazy without mouse gestures!

Warthog fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 26, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Warthog posted:

Windows 7 is sometimes accessing my HDD for what seems like minutes when I'm not really doing anything - well reading stuff in Firefox 3.0.10 [edit]oh, read over the posts that said to get the 3.5 beta - I'll do that now in the hopes of it fixing everything.[/edit]

I don't want it to do that - my drive is loud and meh... I'd prefer it a lot if the poor thing wasn't in use all the time.

Starting with Vista, Microsoft sets a scheduled task to defrag the disk when the machine is on and idle. I'm not exactly sure how they define idle (possibly by disk/cpu activity under a certain threshold for a length of time or just no user interaction), but it could be that. Or it could be your AV software updating definitions. Or any number of programs that have auto-updater agents that could be doing something in the background and causing paging activity.

I would leave the resource monitor running in the background and when it starts up again, look at the disk activity section and see what was causing a lot of IO in that span of time.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

It's supposed to allow for the IE-style hover-over-taskbar-icon-and-get-a-window-for-each-tab interface. That said, I never could get it to work - it'd just crash for me each time I ran it, even on 3.5 beta, so I dunno what's going on there.

That said, if the speed increased as promised is true, I'm going to install it when I get home because FF3 is sluggish for me too and semi-frequently decides to sit there and do sweet F all for multiple seconds at a time. I'll test this out when I get home and report back.

I still have not gotten Winfox to do anything but open a second window. I was ready to switch to IE 8, my second choice is Chrome but whenever I try to use that it just sits there and doesn't do a drat thing. I think I am going to go ahead and uninstall Winfox cause tarded.

JeSo
Jul 14, 2004
This seems like a silly question, but I figure why not be sure..

I'm currently using the Windows 7 beta (7000), and intend to format the partition it's installed on, and install the RC in its place. Just to be certain, the installation will let me format the partition (or delete and recreate it, if it prefers) and install the RC onto it while leaving the other partitions of that disk alone?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

johndoe77760 posted:

Try taking ownership of the drive itself, then make sure you have full permissions for it.

I believe I tried doing that and there was no take ownership option for the drive, maybe it was because I was right clicking through window explorer and not the drive itself in my computer. I will try this again tonight and if not consider wiping and partitioning a drive solely for Win 7 RC OS.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Decided against getting a laptop for Win7, gonna upgrade my old desktop instead.

I know ram is the thing to go for first, but any suggestions on what I should upgrade next before Win7 goes gold?

Mobo: nforce4
Proc: Athlon64 3200+ Venice
Ram: 1gb :lol:
Vid: ATI x800 (finally got the newer Catalysts working in 7 with some inf editing, so not really concerned too much about this)

The low amount of RAM in this PC is killin me in TF2 cause it starts paging to disk like crazy for the first several minutes of each new map. Otherwise it's insane how well 7 runs compared to my terrible Vista experience on the same computer (which drove me to Ubuntu), in some respects it beats out ancient XP which blows my mind.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Warthog posted:

Ugh, All in one gestures doesn't work in Firefox 3.5 - I'm going crazy without mouse gestures!

Yes it does. Disable extension compatibility checking.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Leathal posted:

I know ram is the thing to go for first, but any suggestions on what I should upgrade next before Win7 goes gold?

Depends on what your primary use for the PC will be. My first thought aside from adding a lot more RAM would be to beef up the CPU.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
ATI is discontinuing support on X1xxx or earlier cards. He really should just get a new system at this point.

johndoe7776059
Aug 31, 2001

Leathal posted:

Decided against getting a laptop for Win7, gonna upgrade my old desktop instead.

Mobo: nforce4
Proc: Athlon64 3200+ Venice
Ram: 1gb :lol:
Vid: ATI x800 (finally got the newer Catalysts working in 7 with some inf editing, so not really concerned too much about this)

The low amount of RAM in this PC is killin me in TF2 cause it starts paging to disk like crazy for the first several minutes of each new map. Otherwise it's insane how well 7 runs compared to my terrible Vista experience on the same computer (which drove me to Ubuntu), in some respects it beats out ancient XP which blows my mind.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178101

2 gigs of DDR 400 for $45 after rebate, didn't see anything much cheaper on ebay.

Other than that there isn't really much you can do. Your processor is either socket 754 or 939, which means you can't use a newer Athlon64 x2. Honestly I wouldn't put any more money into that that system. If money is tight, you can get this cpu, a motherboard, and 4 gigs of ddr2 for around $150. You can keep your old video card (although as Wrar pointed out support will be going away soon) unless you did something really weird and that is the AGP version.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Why can't I set a process's priority to realtime in Windows 7? It just sets it to high instead.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Why can't I set a process's priority to realtime in Windows 7? It just sets it to high instead.

Why the hell would you want to set a process's priority to realtime? I don't know why the option was ever even there.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Are you sure you aren't trying to change the priority on a system process when task manager isn't running elevated?

Dr. John
Dec 4, 2007
WORLD'S SHITTIEST SECRET SANTA
Is anyone running this in a Thinkpad t61p? I can't figure out how to get the mute button working and I'm not sure which driver I need to install exactly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

After spending a few minutes running around trying to find a touchpad driver, I'm good to go on my Latitude D830. I'll give IE8 a try for now. I know, turning my back on Firefox :aaa:.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Codiusprime posted:

I still have not gotten Winfox to do anything but open a second window. I was ready to switch to IE 8, my second choice is Chrome but whenever I try to use that it just sits there and doesn't do a drat thing. I think I am going to go ahead and uninstall Winfox cause tarded.

Trip report:

I kind of got it working. By kind of, I mean the right-click stuff was there, but as far as tab-viewing goes, I only got that working once and I couldn't even work out what I did to cause it to work that one time but not others. This was on 3.5 beta and 7100 x64.

I can only assume that winfox x64 is for 64bit windows rather than 64bit firefox. If it's the other way around, that may explain things, but the guy who wrote it could stand to document his poo poo better.

PS: Chrome won't be any better. The normal releases of it are broken on windows 7, just fyi. You'd have to get a build of a newer revision of the code.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Opera, standard or weekly, is perfectly speedy out of the box on Windows 7.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
about the broken extensions:

Thermopyle posted:

Yes it does. Disable extension compatibility checking.

Thanks a lot, didn't know that existed

(for other people in need:)
open about :config
create a new boolean "extensions.checkCompatibility" (without the "s)
set its value to "false"

Dr. John posted:

Is anyone running this in a Thinkpad t61p? I can't figure out how to get the mute button working and I'm not sure which driver I need to install exactly.

I think all you need is here: IBM Win7 Beta stuff
Although I have to admit that I keep forgetting to enable that stuff on my x301 so I don't know if that works; the WWAN drivers work like a charm, though.

Warthog fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 27, 2009

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Warthog posted:

I gave up on all-in one gestures a while ago. It seemed to break on every update.
Firegestures does exactly the same, and is just as configurable.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

For some reason my administrator account is not recognized as an administrator, I am becoming incredibly frustrated at not being able to change permissions on anything on the installed hdd and am honestly considering a wipe, partitional and reinstall but don't know if that will solve anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Corte posted:

For some reason my administrator account is not recognized as an administrator, I am becoming incredibly frustrated at not being able to change permissions on anything on the installed hdd and am honestly considering a wipe, partitional and reinstall but don't know if that will solve anything.

Have you turned off UAC? Have you taken ownership of the folders?