Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I have a question similar to CinnamonToastFunk. I already know a few of the masters, but I'm looking for more "weird" jazz and don't really know where to start. I've just been listening to a lot of Sun Ra and a lot of the more instrumental Frank Zappa stuff, and not that there's really anyone that sounds like them but any other jazz with some sort of strange edge I'd love to listen to.

EDIT: Also realized I don't know poo poo about jazz fusion outside of Weather Report and Zappa's Hot Rats album, so anything there would be cool too.

This Hermann Szobel record pretty much rules:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNWNad3xGW4

Very similar to Zappa, but with, I think more of a classical edge. It's a nightmare to find, but very worth it.

And I'm really not sure what precisely you're saying when you say "strange", but if you're just looking for music on the avant-garde side, Eric Dolphy is one of the essentials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHbKBRbD41w

Start with Out To Lunch! as it's one of my favorite jazz records of all time.

edit: Since I'm already in here, I might as well ask: what would you guys recommend for someone looking for some very funky jazz fusion? My familiarity with the canon is somewhat spotty(my interest in jazz has mostly been limited to less tonal stuff until recently), so don't be afraid to drop some obvious names.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Gulp of Mexico posted:

Can anyone help me find another song similar to this one? I've gone through tags/similar bands but all of the poo poo doesn't sound the same. For example, I look at the different genre's listed for the song, and all of the songs under that genre sound different from this one to me. I'm mainly looking for a similar feel of the song, how it builds up using the different sounds. I like how there are different "layers" of beats. I know nothing about music, so this post sucks.

What I DON'T want is a song that builds up, but is completely boring throughout the first couple minutes. I want a song that builds up to certain peaks, but still remains very rich throughout.

Song is Dynamic Symmetry by BT (only looking for something similar to the first four minutes of the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uNEQ3nsFbE

I get what you're saying, but the problem is this is one of the conventions of electronic dance music, especially house and trance - because of the way it's meant to be enjoyed, in a live set mixed together by a dj, the first couple minutes and last minutes are going to be less interesting because they're going to end up being 'in the mix', being played at the same time as another track, and if both of them were rich from the get go it would be jarring. You're just either going to have to get over it, skip over the first couple minutes of songs when you're listening, or listen to 'radio mix' versions of tracks, or maybe buy/download entire live dj sets rather than individual tracks.

Stuff similar to that BT song though, check out Plaid, mu-ziq, Squarepusher or mum. this is closer to downtempo / IDM than most of bt's typical stuff which is maybe why you didn't like the given reccomendations.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 24, 2009

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Munky from KORN posted:

This Hermann Szobel record pretty much rules:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNWNad3xGW4

Very similar to Zappa, but with, I think more of a classical edge. It's a nightmare to find, but very worth it.

And I'm really not sure what precisely you're saying when you say "strange", but if you're just looking for music on the avant-garde side, Eric Dolphy is one of the essentials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHbKBRbD41w

Start with Out To Lunch! as it's one of my favorite jazz records of all time.

edit: Since I'm already in here, I might as well ask: what would you guys recommend for someone looking for some very funky jazz fusion? My familiarity with the canon is somewhat spotty(my interest in jazz has mostly been limited to less tonal stuff until recently), so don't be afraid to drop some obvious names.
Those are amazing! And by strange I guess I meant avant-garde, because those two things are exactly the type of stuff I was looking for. That Hermann Szobel song is so amazing, I have to track down some recording of that record.

And if you're looking for funky jazz fusion, I don't know much either but I just found out about Rufus Harley the other day. Funk/jazz with bagpipes, and it's great. http://www.uppitymusic.com/2007/11/rufus-harley-re-creation-of-gods-1972.html Scroll down to the streaming "radio" thing at the bottom and listen to The Crack.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

I recently discovered Noise/Girl and I'm wondering if there's anything else similar. That is to say, catchy music that has been 'noisified'. Every trail I've followed so far has just given me straight-up noise.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I have a question similar to CinnamonToastFunk. I already know a few of the masters, but I'm looking for more "weird" jazz and don't really know where to start. I've just been listening to a lot of Sun Ra and a lot of the more instrumental Frank Zappa stuff, and not that there's really anyone that sounds like them but any other jazz with some sort of strange edge I'd love to listen to.

EDIT: Also realized I don't know poo poo about jazz fusion outside of Weather Report and Zappa's Hot Rats album, so anything there would be cool too.

Don't know much about jazz fusion, but I've heard Mahavishnu Orchestra referred to as jazz fusion and their album Birds of Fire is pretty good.

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life
Lupe Fiasco! He became my idol and I like all of his tracks. His flow is crazy, the beats behind are loving great. I just love his music. Anything similar?

Bitey Bunny
May 26, 2009

c h o m p
Has anybody got a good acoustic band, similar in style to Meiko, that isn't too emo? I love acoustic but frankly a lot of the acoustic artists just seem to put all their rants and raves into wordy 2 minute pieces of crap.
I'm a fan of Daphne Loves Derby (to an extent, some of their stuff fits in the description I just made) and Meg & Dia's acoustic stuff.
I basically just want some acoustic that isn't too obscure and isn't too emo. Although, I can settle for one versus the other.

Bitey Bunny
May 26, 2009

c h o m p

apoptosis posted:

I really like Lykke Li and Metric...what should I listen to that is like this?

Also, https://www.ilistentoeverything.com has single-handedly rekindled my love of music.

If you like Metric...
I often find that people who listen to my iPod for Metric end up enjoying Muse as well, and vice versa. Muse is a bit rockier than Metric and has a male lead singer, but they're both oddly relaxing. Also, you might like Shiny Toy Guns. I find that Shiny Toy Guns has a similar sound.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

RollingBoBo posted:

Lupe Fiasco! He became my idol and I like all of his tracks. His flow is crazy, the beats behind are loving great. I just love his music. Anything similar?

Not too similar, but I've been listening to Drake's So Far Gone a lot lately and I keep thinking of Lupe Fiasco while I listen to it, and a song featuring the two of them would probably be pretty good.

I also recommend either Dead Prez album and K'Naan's Dusty Foot Philosopher, based on lyrical content I guess.

omgwtfitszee posted:

Has anybody got a good acoustic band, similar in style to Meiko, that isn't too emo? I love acoustic but frankly a lot of the acoustic artists just seem to put all their rants and raves into wordy 2 minute pieces of crap.
I'm a fan of Daphne Loves Derby (to an extent, some of their stuff fits in the description I just made) and Meg & Dia's acoustic stuff.
I basically just want some acoustic that isn't too obscure and isn't too emo. Although, I can settle for one versus the other.

Have you heard Mountain Goats?

CharlesWillisMaddox fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 27, 2009

Bitey Bunny
May 26, 2009

c h o m p

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

That was the most amazing suggestion ever. Do you have any more similar to that? I'm open to folk rock as well. I'm a bit new to the acoustic/folk scene but I love it. I'm just a bit tired of the same old emo bands trying their hand at acoustic.

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
I have found very recently that I really really enjoy blues style music. I know it's bad to get musical tastes from Guitar Hero, but I really enjoy Stevie Ray Vaughan. Pride and joy is my favorite so far. I'm looking for more music that sounds like this. I guess it's blues, if it's not feel free to correct me and ram it down my throat etc.

All I'm really looking for is more music that sounds like this!

Thanks in advance.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Dandy Cat posted:

I have found very recently that I really really enjoy blues style music. I know it's bad to get musical tastes from Guitar Hero, but I really enjoy Stevie Ray Vaughan. Pride and joy is my favorite so far. I'm looking for more music that sounds like this. I guess it's blues, if it's not feel free to correct me and ram it down my throat etc.

Thanks in advance.

Urgh, tried listening to Eric Clapton? Sounds like an obvious choice, but his work with Cream and Derek & The Dominos is fairly similar to SRV.

E: White Room came on as soon as I'd finished typing this. Neat

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Well Stevie Ray Vaughn is really more blues-rock than blues, so stuff like Hendrix and Clapton are similar, but if you're looking for less rock based stuff you'd probably like John Lee Hooker or Buddy Guy. Although he's sort of in between electric blues and rock and roll, you might also like Bo Diddley. With most of these guys I'd recommend getting a "best of" compilation before listening to a whole album.

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life

Not too similar, but I've been listening to Drake's So Far Gone a lot lately and I keep thinking of Lupe Fiasco while I listen to it, and a song featuring the two of them would probably be pretty good.

I also recommend either Dead Prez album and K'Naan's Dusty Foot Philosopher, based on lyrical content I guess.

Thanks for this, I'm downloading let's get free by Dead Prez atm, looks pretty good.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Anyone heard of the band http://www.myspace.com/belongmusic ? Is there any bands similar to it you'd suggest I'd check out? I really enjoy bands of this genre in general, it gives me goosebumps.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Dandy Cat posted:

Thanks in advance.

Get some Kenny Wayne Shepard, some of the best SRV worship around.

omgwtfitszee posted:

That was the most amazing suggestion ever. Do you have any more similar to that? I'm open to folk rock as well. I'm a bit new to the acoustic/folk scene but I love it. I'm just a bit tired of the same old emo bands trying their hand at acoustic.

Nick Drake is some of my favourite acoustic music, but he is pretty "emo" as it were, except he lived, recorded and died by 1974, so it's not really "emo" music, just incredibly emotional. Emo kids also seem to love him, but so do legitimate music fans, because he's great.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Gvaz posted:

Anyone heard of the band http://www.myspace.com/belongmusic ? Is there any bands similar to it you'd suggest I'd check out? I really enjoy bands of this genre in general, it gives me goosebumps.

I have a feeling you're probably familiar with him already, but Tim Hecker is certainly quite essential if you're looking for more stuff in this style. Fennesz of course as well.

A less obvious choice is a fellow who goes by the name of Chessie and produces some very lovely music. He has a few albums out. I'd start with Overnight.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Not counting The Game what are some good 50 Cent/G Unit/G Unit member songs? I don't recall hearing any G Unit or G Unit member songs before, and the only 50 Cent I've heard was that song he did with Justin Timberlake and Eminem songs he appeared on.

and whats some good southern hip hop? All I know is Lil Wayne, Bun B/UGK and Chamillionaire.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

and whats some good southern hip hop? All I know is Lil Wayne, Bun B/UGK and Chamillionaire.

scarface, outkast, three six mafia, really selected juvenile, david banner. i really love like 90% of t.i.'s and luda's singles, but that might be too clean to be what you're going for.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I'm really into the whole Irish/Scottish rock thing. Bands along the lines of Flogging Molly, The Pogues, Flatfoot 56, Black 47, The Real McKenzies, and Blood or Whiskey. Any other bands along this genre that I'm missing?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I'm really into the whole Irish/Scottish rock thing. Bands along the lines of Flogging Molly, The Pogues, Flatfoot 56, Black 47, The Real McKenzies, and Blood or Whiskey. Any other bands along this genre that I'm missing?

Dropkick Murphys?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Early Great Big Sea maybe?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

A Violence Gang posted:

Dropkick Murphys?

I'm a DKM fan but I find most of their stuff to be devoid of the Celtic flavor or style that the other bands I mentioned have. To me they are more rock with the occasional Irish/Scottish influence in certain songs.

And Technetium, I checked out Great Big Sea and they're pretty good. Gonna be around me in august I'll probably go see them.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

The Men They Couldn't Hang are pretty good.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
For the last couple months I've been listening to Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians when I study - I think it's really beautiful but repetitive enough that I sort of zone it out if I'm doing something else - which makes it great for homework.

I'd love to expand this playlist a bit - sometimes I'll go to Pandora and just listen to a Steve Reich radio station, but I often end up with something good, but not what I'm looking for. I can't listen to Reich's Clapping Music while studying, or some random saxophone screeches by Xenakis.

Any suggestions? I've found a few things by Philip Glass that work pretty well, but there's also a lot of stuff by Glass that doesn't work at all for this.

Sebb
Aug 8, 2007
kinda like the way you're breathing
kinda like the way you keep looking away

Seaniqua posted:

For the last couple months I've been listening to Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians when I study - I think it's really beautiful but repetitive enough that I sort of zone it out if I'm doing something else - which makes it great for homework.

I'd love to expand this playlist a bit - sometimes I'll go to Pandora and just listen to a Steve Reich radio station, but I often end up with something good, but not what I'm looking for. I can't listen to Reich's Clapping Music while studying, or some random saxophone screeches by Xenakis.

Any suggestions? I've found a few things by Philip Glass that work pretty well, but there's also a lot of stuff by Glass that doesn't work at all for this.

I also like that piece for study work - when it comes to other artists who fit the same role I'd recommend Basinski's "The Disintegration Loops", or the drone ambient stuff by dudes like Fennesz, Belong, and Tim Hecker. They aren't necessarily that similar sound-wise, and they aren't radical recommendations, but I think they fit "beautiful but repetitive enough".

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Seaniqua posted:

Maybe minimal house, like The Field?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Any newer rappers out like GZA's newest stuff? I need something with real smooth and well produced flowing beats like that. Similar voice would be great too.

edit: also looking for anything like Aesop Rock. Witty/complex rhymes with a similar sound.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 31, 2009

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Amphigory posted:

Have you got Tobacco - "hosed Up Friends"? Very similar to Black Moth..., as it's the solo project of one of the members. It's maybe worth having a listen to Animal Collective and Panda Bear, if you haven't already. And possibly Minotaur Shock

Yeah, I've got Tobacco's stuff. Also got Animal Collective, Shogun Kunitoki's Vinonaamakasio, and Panda Bear, but haven't heard of Minotaur Shock, so I'll try them.
e: Minotaur Shock's pretty cool, anything that sounds more like Lake Feet though (or stuff off of Falling Through a Field in general)? Thanks

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 31, 2009

Turbobalaclava
Jan 16, 2005
I have a couple of questions.

1) I really liked Marilyn Manson's Anitchrist Superstar. Having said that I am not looking for something like MM but something gritty and unpolished that does not follow normal patterns. Something like ACSS. Ideas for albums or bands?

2) Monster Magnet had a song in 2000 I beleive called "God Says No". I alaways liked its feel and was wondering not only what genre it would be but also if any bands put out albums that have that sound.

3) Finally, I like most Type O Negative stuff, kinda heavy, kinda mellow and totally tongue in cheek. Anything like this that does not totally go to one end of the spectrum or another?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I was hoping someone could recommend me some bands for a specific kind of music. I'll do my best to break it down and describe it to you. I'm a big fan of songs with video game feels to them, specifically the use of the keyboard.

For the slower examples, I loved the Postal Service, Mates of State. But I also like faster, more punk rock/emo/hardcore with the same kind of feel. My best examples are some of the faster songs on the first Panic at the disco album, The Machinae Supremacy, and recently was introduced to the Chiodos (Alls well that ends well) which is pretty dead on to what I'm looking for. Punk + piano is a win for me, synthesized sounds, and I'm a fan of the violin as well. Anything jumping out?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Looking through my library, I realize my punk selection is 90% pop-punk and classic punk. What are some of good punk albums that came out in the past 10, 20 years?

I also want some death metal with vocals that don't sound like a garbled mess of growls.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Looking through my library, I realize my punk selection is 90% pop-punk and classic punk. What are some of good punk albums that came out in the past 10, 20 years?
Past 20 years? Okay, that's since 1989. There's a bunch, but try some of these:

Rancid - ... And Out Come The Wolves (1995)
Dillinger Four - Midwestern Songs of the Americas (1998)
Operation Ivy - Energy (1989)
NOFX - Punk In Drublic (1994)
Dropkick Murphys - Do Or Die (1998)
Street Dogs - Fading American Dream (2006)
Swingin' Utters - Five Lessons Learned (1998)

There's a bunch more but that should get you started. If you like any of them, look up the rest of that artist's catalog.

(edited to add release years)

guppy fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 2, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

FateFree posted:

I was hoping someone could recommend me some bands for a specific kind of music. I'll do my best to break it down and describe it to you. I'm a big fan of songs with video game feels to them, specifically the use of the keyboard.

This is probably not the kind of song you had in mind but I've always thought Silver Jews, "The Moon is the Number 18" (off Starlite Walker) sounds like it should've been the music to a twisted version of an underground level in Super Mario Bros.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I dont know much about punk but Against Me!, Reinventing Axl Rose and The Acoustic EP are really, really good.

Can anyone recommend me anything like System of a Down? I don't think their related artists on Last.fm fit very well other than the fact that all those bands got popular in the same timeframe. I also like Tankian's solo stuff, but I am scared to check out Scars On Broadway based on They Say, if that helps.

ideal standard
May 11, 2009

Turbobalaclava posted:

I have a couple of questions.

1) I really liked Marilyn Manson's Anitchrist Superstar. Having said that I am not looking for something like MM but something gritty and unpolished that does not follow normal patterns. Something like ACSS. Ideas for albums or bands?

2) Monster Magnet had a song in 2000 I beleive called "God Says No". I alaways liked its feel and was wondering not only what genre it would be but also if any bands put out albums that have that sound.

3) Finally, I like most Type O Negative stuff, kinda heavy, kinda mellow and totally tongue in cheek. Anything like this that does not totally go to one end of the spectrum or another?

Monster Magnet's style is stoner metal or stoner. similar artists are Fu Manchu, Kyuss, Nebula, Unida. If you want to turn it up a notch listen to Earth - Earth 2

ilikechapstick
Jun 17, 2007

very, very notorious.
So I really like working out to Lamb of God...mainly because of the heavy guitar and not so much the screaming. I could do without that honestly. I like Trivium as well for the same reasons.

Anything out there that has heavy, metal-esque guitar riffs, but a little less screaming? I realize that they probably go hand in hand but I might as well ask. I don't mind a little however.

Darth Brookz
May 20, 2006
welll, there is this one band that just straight up heavy metal jams. No lyrics though.

EARTHLESS

http://www.myspace.com/earthless

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

ilikechapstick posted:

So I really like working out to Lamb of God...mainly because of the heavy guitar and not so much the screaming. I could do without that honestly. I like Trivium as well for the same reasons.

Anything out there that has heavy, metal-esque guitar riffs, but a little less screaming? I realize that they probably go hand in hand but I might as well ask. I don't mind a little however.

Protest The Hero is probably what you want

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5I4qP0u8lQ - Bloodmeat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypCdGNe3Bvs - Sequoia Throne

Death went from a normal 80's death metal band and evolved over their career to more progressive metal, ending with their final album which was their most clear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdEPnGUPc5s&feature=PlayList&p=6F1D34D22513FB05&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=59 - Scavenger Of Human Sorrow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quPliK3eAy4&feature=related - Painkiller (Judas Priest cover)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Typewriters
Mar 7, 2006

and the heat goes on
and the heat goes on
and the heat goes on

I also want some death metal with vocals that don't sound like a garbled mess of growls.

Maybe try some of these? I don't know if they're exactly punk but they've all definitely got elements of the genre.

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
Pere Ubu - This Modern Dance
The Thermals - The Body, The Blood, The Machine (They have a new release this year, haven't heard it yet though)
Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime
Mclusky - Mclusky Do Dallas
The Murder City Devils - In Name and Blood
Propagandhi - Anything they've put out really, but their newest album "Supporting Caste" is pretty solid.