Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Ellen Page Reactor posted:

How about David Byrne? I know he's done a whole lot with a lot of different people, but I haven't heard much of it. Where should I start with him?

While you're at it, check out stuff on his label, Luaka Bop, cos most of it is very good! And he's made guest appearances on very good albums by Tom Zé and Marisa Monte :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

attackmole posted:

Where do I start with Clutch? I'm digging the new songs up on their myspace, but they've got a pretty big backcat. Where's a good place to start?

Start with the latest and work backwards. Their very early stuff is nothing like what they do now, but it's been a pretty gradual evolution, so you can just stop when you're no longer interested.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Sick, I'll give that a shot.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Where should I start with Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode, The Doors and Mogwai?

redphoenix11
May 9, 2007

HVD posted:

The Doors: All you really need is Legacy: The Absolute Best as it has almost all of the first album and pretty much all the songs worth getting off their other, spottier albums. If you're opposed to compilations, get their self-titled debut as it's their best.

Depeche Mode: Get Violator as it was their most successful and best album. From there, Music for the Masses, Songs and Faith of Devotion, and Black Celebration are excellent albums. Playing the Angel is also good but the audio quality is terrible because of loudness war-related bullshit. With the exception of Some Great Reward, their other albums aren't that great.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

HVD posted:

The essential Nine Inch Nails is Broken and The Downward Spiral, with maybe Pretty Hate Machine. Other than that, stick with the major releases and avoid the endless remix EPs unless there's some song you need to hear a dozen variations on.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

HVD posted:

For Mogwai, I would suggest starting with Mr. Beast followed by Happy Songs for Happy People.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

redphoenix11 posted:

The Doors: All you really need is Legacy: The Absolute Best as it has almost all of the first album and pretty much all the songs worth getting off their other, spottier albums. If you're opposed to compilations, get their self-titled debut as it's their best.

Lies. Morrison Hotel is their best. Start there.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Captain Charisma posted:

Lies. Morrison Hotel is their best. Start there.

Morrison Hotel is the only one worth owning,

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

HVD posted:

I think a lot of their stuff is fantastic, so you may want to make a decision based on the kind of music you tend to like. You could tell us, and we make recommendations from there, or you could start with one of their singles collections (worth having), and go for the albums with singles you really like. I agree that Violator is the best -- everyone should own that album -- but you really can't lose with Depeche Mode. All of their albums are at least "pretty good".

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 27, 2009

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Amazon Review posted:

Siouxsie And The Banshees. I've heard some songs, and am intrigued, but I need people on the internet to verify my interests. :colbert:
I was in your shoes this January. I started with Juju (1981). This worked out very well for me. I followed that up with the rest their albums that have John McGeoch on guitar: Kaleidoscope (1980) and A Kiss in the Dreamhouse (1982). Maybe that was a somewhat arbitrary decision, but I have the impression that those three albums are when they really solidified their identity. And McGeoch really is quite good.

Carlinator
Feb 12, 2009
Odd a choice as it may be, what's the best way to get into Iron Maiden? I've heard a few of their songs on my friends' mix CD's, like # of the beast, Run to the Hills, 2 Minutes to Midnight and the like. I'd really like to insert them into my collection, but they've got quite a few albums, many of which are recommended to me as THE BEST, and I just don't know where to start.

As background, my metal tastes aren't particularly narrow, I like Black Sabbath, the Big 4 of thrash ('Tallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax), Ozzy, Pantera, the occasional Dimmu Borgir and Cannibal Corpse track... you get the idea. I also sometimes like to just mellow out with most of the standard 60's/70's bands: Frampton, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Beatles, Deep Purple, Van Halen, etc.

Fake Edit: Now that I think of it, what's a good route to get into Jimi Hendrix on a level beyond "HAY DOOD PURPLE HAZE, ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER AN VOODOO CHILD ROOOOOOCKKKKK!!!"?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Carlinator posted:

Fake Edit: Now that I think of it, what's a good route to get into Jimi Hendrix on a level beyond "HAY DOOD PURPLE HAZE, ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER AN VOODOO CHILD ROOOOOOCKKKKK!!!"?

The dude released, what, four albums? How bloody difficult is it to pick one of them, maybe the one that has some songs you've already heard and liked? Not that I even know what you're on about in the HAY DOOD part, they're all good songs.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Carlinator posted:

Odd a choice as it may be, what's the best way to get into Iron Maiden? I've heard a few of their songs on my friends' mix CD's, like # of the beast, Run to the Hills, 2 Minutes to Midnight and the like. I'd really like to insert them into my collection, but they've got quite a few albums, many of which are recommended to me as THE BEST, and I just don't know where to start.

If you just want a best of collection, check out A Real Live Dead One. For actual albums, you'd need Powerslave, Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind.

Van or Astrovan
Oct 6, 2008

by Peatpot
where should I start with Skullflower?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Carlinator posted:

*number

The one I got first was Powerslave, but Number of the Beast is the most common choice for a good reason.

quote:

As background, my metal tastes aren't particularly narrow, I like Black Sabbath, the Big 4 of thrash ('Tallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax), Ozzy, Pantera, the occasional Dimmu Borgir and Cannibal Corpse track... you get the idea. I also sometimes like to just mellow out with most of the standard 60's/70's bands: Frampton, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Beatles, Deep Purple, Van Halen, etc.

*Metallica

Death Angel released some of the best metal albums of the 80s, The Ultra Violence, Frolic In The Park and Act III (1990, but whatever), Death also has some must get albums of metal, Human, Individual Thought Patterns. Testament's first 3 albums are classic metal albums, and Low is one of the best mid 90s metal albums I've heard.

quote:

Any of his few solo albums. Is it uncool to you for me to recommend my favourite Jimi Hendrix song, The Wind Cries Mary, which was featured on rock band or guitar hero recently? Since I'm assuming thats what you mean by "hay dood".

Carlinator
Feb 12, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

*number

The one I got first was Powerslave, but Number of the Beast is the most common choice for a good reason.
Cool, I'll have to give that a listen then.

quote:

Death Angel released some of the best metal albums of the 80s, The Ultra Violence, Frolic In The Park and Act III (1990, but whatever), Death also has some must get albums of metal, Human, Individual Thought Patterns. Testament's first 3 albums are classic metal albums, and Low is one of the best mid 90s metal albums I've heard.
I will have to check these groups out. I've heard OF Death, never listened to any of their music, and the rest are all new names to me.

Expanding musical horizons? Awesome. :cheers:

quote:

Any of his few solo albums. Is it uncool to you for me to recommend my favourite Jimi Hendrix song, The Wind Cries Mary, which was featured on rock band or guitar hero recently? Since I'm assuming thats what you mean by "hay dood".
Well, the "hay dood" was just me imitating myself sounding like anybody who's heard any of his songs; if there's one, it tends to be one of those three.

And no, it's not uncool at all, Hendrix fans know what's awesome, so I'll trust those hints. He's so influential for so many artists, I guess I overlooked the fact that he only released three studio albums in his life.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Thanks guys, now what about Elbow and Primal Scream?

RaoulDuke
May 6, 2007

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.
The Gourds. From what I read about them they seem to be my kinda style, offbeat country/bluegrassish, but I've never really heard more than one or two songs besides that snoop dog cover which is hilarious.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
There seem to be a number of their albums out and I was wondering what good places to start are with Guitar Wolf, The Boredoms, The Pillows and Acid Mothers Temple. Thanks a lot.

Boiled_Dove
May 10, 2009

Frog Strips posted:

There seem to be a number of their albums out and I was wondering what good places to start are with Guitar Wolf, The Boredoms, The Pillows and Acid Mothers Temple. Thanks a lot.

The Boredoms sound has changed quite a bit since their inception, If you prefer their noise-rock sound, I'd say Chocolate Synthesizer is the most accessible album, but if you prefer their later psychedelic/prog influenced music you could try Vision Creation Newsun.

Guitar Wolf aren't so diverse, I'd go with Planet of the Wolves - although there's a good best of compilation called Golden Black.

I'd quite like some recommendations for Acid Mothers Temple myself.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

tbh acid mothers temple is one of those bands with a huge output where if you've heard one album you've heard them all, unless youre one of those guys who has every live Grateful Dead bootleg and actually do legitimately like listening to hours upon hours crazy psych-improvisation, just get AMT & The Melting Paraiso UFO - Univers Zen ou de Zéro ŕ Zéro

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 26, 2009

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Frog Strips posted:

Personally, for Boredoms, I'd recommend starting with Super ae (sometimes erroneously written as Super Are). It's more focused on the band's psychedelic/motorik sound, but it still has a fair amount of callbacks to their earlier, more chaotic and noisy stuff (such as in the beginning part of "Super Are You")

Jesus is colourblin
Apr 13, 2008

Being colourblind ain't easy :(
I'm sure this has been answered earlier, but there's no correct answer and I'm lazy:

Guided By Voices. I want in. But where?

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Jesus is colourblin posted:

I'm sure this has been answered earlier, but there's no correct answer and I'm lazy:

Guided By Voices. I want in. But where?

Bee Thousand or anything around that time period.

Zygar
Aug 6, 2005
I LEIK TRAINZ!!!1

HVD posted:

I actually started NIN with the album With Teeth. It was generally disliked by hardcore NIN fans, but it's a very accessible album, far more so than jumping straight into The Fragile or The Downward Spiral. The Fragile in particular grows on me more every time I listen to it, but it would've turned me off NIN if I'd started with it.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Carlinator posted:

If you want solid Iron Maiden albums, you want the self titled and Killers. Everything else they've done is about a 50/50 mix of good tracks and absolute garbage. You're better off picking up a live album or compilation.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zygar posted:

I actually started NIN with the album With Teeth. It was generally disliked by hardcore NIN fans, but it's a very accessible album, far more so than jumping straight into The Fragile or The Downward Spiral. The Fragile in particular grows on me more every time I listen to it, but it would've turned me off NIN if I'd started with it.

With Teeth is good, but I'd say it's TOO accessible. It'll give unrealistic expectations. Year Zero I think is the best starting point.

I'd say go Year Zero->Downward Spiral->The Slip->With Teeth->Pretty Hate Machine->The Fragile->Ghosts I-IV

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

cryme posted:

If you want solid Iron Maiden albums, you want the self titled and Killers. Everything else they've done is about a 50/50 mix of good tracks and absolute garbage. You're better off picking up a live album or compilation.

This is crazy talk! Paul Di'Anno didn't suit Maiden's style at all, he was more of a rock singer or punk even. They really took off when they got Bruce Dickenson, he has a much better vocal range and fits the epic nature of their songs. That said, those first two albums are classic, but not really a good way to get into Iron Maiden.

I'd start off with Live After Death, it's the best album to get a feel for their stuff. If you like that then get Number of the Beast and Powerslave. After that you can go forward and pick up some of their newer releases, Brave New World is really solid. Just avoid the 3 albums with Blaze Bayley on them.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Polegrinder posted:

This is crazy talk! Paul Di'Anno didn't suit Maiden's style at all, he was more of a rock singer or punk even. They really took off when they got Bruce Dickenson, he has a much better vocal range and fits the epic nature of their songs. That said, those first two albums are classic, but not really a good way to get into Iron Maiden.

It's debatable who the better vocalist is, but the songwriting speaks for itself.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

cryme posted:

It's debatable who the better vocalist is, but the songwriting speaks for itself.

And that's all done by Steve Harris, he just got better after Killers because he had a better vocalist with a broader range.

flirty dental hygienist fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 28, 2009

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Polegrinder posted:

And that's all done by Steve Harris, he just got better after Killers because he had a better vocalist with a broader range :smugbert:
You realize that using that emoticon is seriously like appending "By the way, I'm a huge douche" to your post, right?

Bitey Bunny
May 26, 2009

c h o m p
Does anyone know where to start with:

Sunny Day Real Estate
Brand New
Vampire Weekend
Mindless Self Indulgence
?

And as a matter of fact, does anyone know the best place to start in the emo genre?

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

omgwtfitszee posted:

Does anyone know where to start with:

Sunny Day Real Estate

Start with How It Feels To Be Something On, since I think that it's generally their most critically acclaimed album and seems to be a gateway for most people. Get Diary next, if you like that.

quote:

Brand New

Your Favorite Weapon is an alright straightahead pop-punk album, Deja Entendu is a slightly more mature album with less of a pop-punk influence and it sounds a little more serious than YFW, and The Devil And God Raging Inside Me pretty much abandons any pop-punk influence in favor of longer songs and it is their most mature and developed album by a mile. Personally I think that Devil and God is their best, followed by Deja, and then YFW.

quote:

Vampire Weekend

They only have one album. Opinion time: it's a pretty terrible album though so I can't say that I recommend it :ssh:

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

MSI people usually say "Frankenstein Girls Are Strangely Sexy" is their best but i cant stand them so take it as you will

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Van or Astrovan posted:

where should I start with Skullflower?

When I looked into them the album IIIrd Gatekeeper kept coming up so try that I guess.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone mind telling me where to get started with Dub Reggae in general? I've only heard a couple of tracks from the genre but I really liked what I heard, who are the 'big names' I can get started with?

Boiled_Dove
May 10, 2009

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

Anyone mind telling me where to get started with Dub Reggae in general? I've only heard a couple of tracks from the genre but I really liked what I heard, who are the 'big names' I can get started with?

You could start off by getting the Trojan Dub boxset. Anything produced by Lee 'Scratch' Perry is a good bet. Try youtubing King Tubby, Scientist, Augustus Pablo, Yabby You or Jah Shaka.

My favourite dub album is entitled Prince Jammy Destroys the Invaders. It's themed around Space Invaders.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Where do I start with Leonard Cohen? I really dug his tracks on the Natural Born Killers OST (The Future especially) and I've been listening to Pain of Salvation's cover of Hallelujah repeatedly and I have no idea where to start with his discography or what would appeal to me out of it if I like those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Technetium posted:

Where do I start with Leonard Cohen? I really dug his tracks on the Natural Born Killers OST (The Future especially) and I've been listening to Pain of Salvation's cover of Hallelujah repeatedly and I have no idea where to start with his discography or what would appeal to me out of it if I like those.

He's gone through a few different phases, but Songs of Leonard Cohen and Songs of Love and Hate are the entry point for his acoustic lit-folk stuff. I'm Your Man represents his more modern sound.