Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Does anyone have problems with the flat panel scaling options with a nvidia graphics card? When I try to tic any of the other radio buttons listed, after I hit apply it always reverts back to use my displays built-in scaling.

I'm using the 185.85 drivers and a 7950 GX2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

hobb posted:

Does anyone have problems with the flat panel scaling options with a nvidia graphics card? When I try to tic any of the other radio buttons listed, after I hit apply it always reverts back to use my displays built-in scaling.

Having the same issue on my 9600M GT. I've noticed that it reverts all of my settings after I hit the "yes keep these changes" button.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I don't know whether to post this in the Zune thread or this one, but I'm starting here.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. Everything's great except for the fact that my Zune drivers won't install. I've right-clicked the .inf file, and it gives me some shpeal about "these drivers cannot be install this way".
I've reinstalled the Zune software multiple times. The goddamn system recognizes it as a Zune and asks me to unplug it when uninstalling the software, but the drivers won't install & the software doesn't see it.
What in the gently caress is going on?

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Ok, I'm having an odd issue.

Almost every time I shut down or reboot I get BSOD. Just a few minutes ago though I just got a complete crash, no BSOD or anything just straight to POST. I checked the event viewer and these are the two most recent errors.
code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          5/27/2009 10:00:41 PM
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (2)
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      WHO
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. 
This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting
Date:          5/27/2009 10:01:01 PM
Event ID:      1001
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      WHO
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  
The bugcheck was: 0x0000009f (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffffa8005b6c060, 0xfffff80000b9c5a8, 0xfffffa800462b010). 
A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 052709-22386-01.
I've googled some and there are other people having the same problem, but I didn't see any fixes. Any know what could cause this?

I can move this to the Haus if it's more appropriate there.

Also, why does iTunes suck so much? It is constantly freezing on me, it will become responsive again eventually though if I wait.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

Pope Mobile posted:

I don't know whether to post this in the Zune thread or this one, but I'm starting here.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. Everything's great except for the fact that my Zune drivers won't install. I've right-clicked the .inf file, and it gives me some shpeal about "these drivers cannot be install this way".
I've reinstalled the Zune software multiple times. The goddamn system recognizes it as a Zune and asks me to unplug it when uninstalling the software, but the drivers won't install & the software doesn't see it.
What in the gently caress is going on?

I have Win 7 x64 and a Zune and it all installed perfectly for me, without a hitch.

What model Zune are you using. Current-gen or a Zune 30?

fredor
Apr 10, 2007
What's the deal with world of warcraft? I have it pinned to my taskbar but when I click play on the launcher it brings up another icon, so now I have 2 wow icons on my bar...

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

fredor posted:

What's the deal with world of warcraft? I have it pinned to my taskbar but when I click play on the launcher it brings up another icon, so now I have 2 wow icons on my bar...

You pinned the launcher, not WoW.exe

Pin WoW.exe and disable the launcher and it'll stay as one icon.

fredor
Apr 10, 2007
Sorry should have mentioned that I tried that. It doesn't work either.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to have Windows Backup make an image that only includes a handful of programs + system files other than uninstalling everything/reformatting? I don't really need for my image to have a copy of all my installed games.

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

Upgraded to Windows 7 two weeks ago after using Vista 64-bit for about a year. I've just gotten around to gaming and I've had some problems with some newer games like Killing Floor as well as some older games like WC3 and Starcraft.

In Killing Floor and WC3 my video device resets constantly -- sometimes every 30-40 minutes. The screen goes black for a few seconds and usually comes back. I've had a few long games of WC3 where my entire system crashes.

It usually goes like this in the Event Viewer:

quote:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
The previous system shutdown at 10:39:21 PM on ‎5/‎18/‎2009 was unexpected.

I just tried playing Starcraft tonight and my system locks up every time after a few minutes into a multiplayer game.

Considering I was playing all of these games regularly two weeks ago on Vista with 0 problems, I'm about to do another reformat and go back.

(Specs if anyone cares)

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Captain Novolin posted:

Having the same issue on my 9600M GT. I've noticed that it reverts all of my settings after I hit the "yes keep these changes" button.

This was a bug they had in Vista too for a long time. The workaround I found was to change your resolution to some lower, non-native resolution, then change the flat panel scaling. At that point the setting should stick and you can change your resolution back to normal. Not sure if it'll work on W7 but it's worth a shot I guess.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

beejay posted:

Haha what. I think he's talking about taskbar on the right, start button at the bottom right instead of top right. You are thinking taskbar on the right, start button in lower left?

Hahahahaha oh jesus I'm stupid. That's exactly what I was thinking.

Jaime
Apr 27, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump
I'm unable to Clean Install Windows 7.

I don't have the Drive options (advanced) option when I try to install windows(I thought maybe I had an older version of the RC since I downloaded it two weeks ago, and no, even the most current version still doesn't give me the Drive Options option on the install menu). It tells me to restart windows from the CD to do anything to my drives.

So I did that and the only options it gives me are to repair Windows 7 or run it in a variety of Safe Modes.

Anyone know what I can do? Should I just delete my windows.old file, even though it is roughly 80gbs?

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I have a Logitech mouse (part of their mouse+keyboard product line) that has a zoom reset button built in; it lets me load pictures in it's original size in a snap. But after installing Windows 7 it doesn't seem to work anymore. I tried updating the drivers to the most recent version but no dice either.

It's really weird because all other hotkey functions work perfectly fine and made the transition smoothly, with the exception of that particular button.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

hobb posted:

It's something about that driver. I have similar with my TV. It can do 24hz and no matter what the driver wants to put it in 24hz. It doesn't matter how I set it, if I reboot or turn off the monitor the next time its up it detects it as a new set and thinks 24hz is optimal. It also used to change the resolution to a weird resolution (1777x860 or something like that) but at least I was able to stop that.

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
Is there any way to prevent the taskbar popping up (when set to autohide) when one of the running programs has a notification of some kind? I'm using a netbook so space is at a premium, and Live Messenger is really spoiling my poo poo as whenever I recieve an IM, the taskbar pops up, and even more annoyingly, will not pop back down until I click into the messenger window to get WLM to stop notifying.

I've all but given up on getting WLM to play ball, so I'm looking to configure W7 itself somehow.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Jaime posted:

I'm unable to Clean Install Windows 7.

I don't have the Drive options (advanced) option when I try to install windows(I thought maybe I had an older version of the RC since I downloaded it two weeks ago, and no, even the most current version still doesn't give me the Drive Options option on the install menu). It tells me to restart windows from the CD to do anything to my drives.

So I did that and the only options it gives me are to repair Windows 7 or run it in a variety of Safe Modes.

Anyone know what I can do? Should I just delete my windows.old file, even though it is roughly 80gbs?

It sounds like you are trying to install from inside your current Windows installation. You need to boot off the DVD.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any way to have Windows Backup make an image that only includes a handful of programs + system files other than uninstalling everything/reformatting? I don't really need for my image to have a copy of all my installed games.

If you're following the general rule to only keep user data in your Documents folder, then you can just backup the c:\users\myname folder and you'll have everything. (if you want to get fancy, exclude the c:\users\myname\appdata\local folder, that only contains cache files and other stuff that can get re-created)

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
I'm getting some graphics glitches. I'm running the 64 bit version and I have a 9800GTX card. Dark Messiah has lots of flickering textures, King's Bounty has flickering textures combined with stuttering. In Left 4 Dead i get some rare flickering textures.

None of this happened using Vista 64 bit. Has anyone else experienced this. Maybe someone has a fix?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Stuntman Mike posted:

I have Win 7 x64 and a Zune and it all installed perfectly for me, without a hitch.

What model Zune are you using. Current-gen or a Zune 30?

I've just got an 8-gig. Pretty sure it's a current-gen.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

RonaldMcDonald posted:

If you're following the general rule to only keep user data in your Documents folder, then you can just backup the c:\users\myname folder and you'll have everything. (if you want to get fancy, exclude the c:\users\myname\appdata\local folder, that only contains cache files and other stuff that can get re-created)
Never tell anybody that about the appdata\local folder. It can hold a lot of configuration information, and on top of it, software like Outlook uses it to store its data files.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

RonaldMcDonald posted:

I'm not actually talking about the files being backed up, that's fine. If you check you backup options, you'll see that Windows also offers to make an image of your drives, which is nice if you want to just flatten and reinstall with as little hassle as possible.

Last night I noticed that Windows is trying to make an image of both my C: drive (Win7 installation) and my F: drive (WinXP installation), which takes way too much space. I can't figure out to how make it just C: though

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 28, 2009

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

I recently bought myself an Acer Aspire One D150, and had almost zero issues getting Win7 installed.

Everything works perfectly, but for one hitch. I get a fuzzy / phantom taskbar that shows just below (if taskbar on top of screen) or beside (if taskbar on left of screen) the real taskbar itself. I've turned aero off, and I get a solid bar in place of the fuzzy one.

I had the same issue with Win7 on my other laptop (8600M GPU) but it was resolved by updating to the latest NVIDIA 185's. I've updated the netbook to the latest Intel graphics drivers via windows update, but the problem persists. I've dug around a bit on the web, but I'm starting to think that there may not be any newer Intel WDDI graphics drivers available - or I'm blind.

I hope I'm not asking a question that's been asked a million times in the thread and I missed the solution.

tasslex
Apr 23, 2003

He's watching YOU

Is there something limiting the resolution of Video Playback in Media Player Classic? DRM perhaps? Everything in Media Player Classic looks like rear end. I can tell it's using the proper codecs that I have manually installed, as Process Explorer shows the filters being loaded.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone gotten WebFolders to work in the RC? I'm getting the old
code:
The folder you entered does not appear to be valid.  Please choose another.
error that used to be fixed by installing KB907306 on Vista. That hotfix will install in the RC but it doesn't seem to fix the problem anymore...

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

tasslex posted:

Is there something limiting the resolution of Video Playback in Media Player Classic? DRM perhaps? Everything in Media Player Classic looks like rear end. I can tell it's using the proper codecs that I have manually installed, as Process Explorer shows the filters being loaded.
Both MPC and ZoomPlayer look fine to me on 7. Maybe check to see what output renderer you're using for video. VMR7 and 9 both work good for me, maybe you'll have better luck with one over the other.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Mierdaan posted:

Anyone gotten WebFolders to work in the RC?

Fixed my own problem by not using a FQDN, as per 943280. There's allegedly some registry hack you can put in on a per-site basis to make it work with FQDNs but this works for me.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
I just updated from the beta to the release candidate and I'm having some issues that I think have to do with permissions. Namely, I have to explicitly run a lot of programs as an administrator (as in, right click -> run as administrator) for them to work properly. If I don't, they won't seem to save my preferences or my login details and in the case of my mp3 player (musikCube) it won't be able to play anything.

I've had a quick browse around the permissions menu and everything seems to be ticked, so what am I missing? For one, turning off UAC doesn't seem to change anything.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

coffeetable posted:

I just updated from the beta to the release candidate and I'm having some issues that I think have to do with permissions. Namely, I have to explicitly run a lot of programs as an administrator (as in, right click -> run as administrator) for them to work properly. If I don't, they won't seem to save my preferences or my login details and in the case of my mp3 player (musikCube) it won't be able to play anything.

I've had a quick browse around the permissions menu and everything seems to be ticked, so what am I missing? For one, turning off UAC doesn't seem to change anything.

What happens if you try to create a new text file in %appdata%?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tasslex posted:

Try media player home-cinema. You don't even need any silly codec packs installed, and it supports EVR playback (GPU assisted decode).

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

xamphear posted:

Both MPC and ZoomPlayer look fine to me on 7. Maybe check to see what output renderer you're using for video. VMR7 and 9 both work good for me, maybe you'll have better luck with one over the other.

According to the video nerds that put together CCCP, Haali Video Renderer is the best choice, followed by the Overlay Mixer (if your computer can't handle Haali). They seem a bit iffy on EVR at the moment.

It should be noted that Overlay Mixer disables Aero, though.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

toxick posted:

According to the video nerds that put together CCCP, Haali Video Renderer is the best choice, followed by the Overlay Mixer (if your computer can't handle Haali). They seem a bit iffy on EVR at the moment.

I played around with all of them, and I'm partial to VMR9 Renderless.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

toxick posted:

According to the video nerds that put together CCCP, Haali Video Renerer is the best choice, followed by the Overlay Mixer (if your computer can't handle Haali). They seem a bit iffy on EVR at the moment.

It disables Aero for the entire desktop or just the player? Does it automatically turn off Aero, and if so, does Aero automatically come back when you're done?

Sully
Feb 6, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

It disables Aero for the entire desktop or just the player? Does it automatically turn off Aero, and if so, does Aero automatically come back when you're done?

In my experience with applications that disable Aero, its disabled globally until that application is closed, and then automatically enables itself.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Sully posted:

In my experience with applications that disable Aero, its disabled globally until that application is closed, and then automatically enables itself.

This is correct.

My NC10 netbook can't handle using the Haali renderer (it requires beefier graphics), so I use the Overlay Mixer. I found that VMR7/9 caused a darker picture than it should have, but the colors look fine with the Overlay Mixer. Disabling Aero is a little annoying but not too big of a deal, since I have to disable Aero to reliably play HD video anyway.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Iblys posted:

Has anyone been using Ableton Live 7 with Windows 7?

Also, has anyone been using Line 6's "PodFarm" VST plugin, or the "Studio GX" hardware device?

I keep thinking about moving to Windows 7. However, I just bought a Studio GX and Ableton Live 7, and can't do without it...

The only issue I've seen in Live 7 is that the menus (File, Edit, etc.) are really big, like there's too much whitespace between menu items. It's such a trivial issue I haven't bothered trying to fix it. All of my hardware (two USB MIDI controllers and one firewire audio interface) work flawlessly.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Zoracle Zed posted:

The only issue I've seen in Live 7 is that the menus (File, Edit, etc.) are really big, like there's too much whitespace between menu items. It's such a trivial issue I haven't bothered trying to fix it. All of my hardware (two USB MIDI controllers and one firewire audio interface) work flawlessly.
Do you have a touch screen or tablet laptop? If so, the extra spacing may be intentional.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
Does Windows 7 power down volumes that aren't being used? Because it seems like every time I open something on my secondary drive it has to whir and spin up for a few seconds before it opens. Or is my hard drive dead and am I hosed?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has anyone tried to get Guitar Pro 5 working? The setup program runs and I get the UAC alert, but nothing more happens. I've tried running it with and without XP and Vista compatibilities and as an administrator/not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

Does Windows 7 power down volumes that aren't being used? Because it seems like every time I open something on my secondary drive it has to whir and spin up for a few seconds before it opens. Or is my hard drive dead and am I hosed?

It's spinning down to save energy I believe. You can change this in the power options. You're hard drive is not hosed.