Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

deltawing posted:

Just a heads up, the new 1349 is horrible. I've never been so disappointed in recent memory.

Did you buy a hard copy? If so, what's disc two like, as in, worth buying for the live tracks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Alas, it sounds like the new album from Deströyer 666 will not disappoint. Its called, Defiance and comes out on July 14th in the US (June 22nd in Europe). You can hear one track, A Stand Defiant here...

http://www.myspace.com/destroyer666band

Besides a new Immortal, this has me the most excited for blackened goodness.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Not Very Metal posted:

Did you buy a hard copy? If so, what's disc two like, as in, worth buying for the live tracks?

I can't comment on that, didn't buy a hard copy, glad I didn't, to be honest. If you want my account on the new album look out for a review for the album on Metal-Archives, I just wrote it last night, waiting for it to be accepted.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

deltawing posted:

I can't comment on that, didn't buy a hard copy, glad I didn't, to be honest. If you want my account on the new album look out for a review for the album on Metal-Archives, I just wrote it last night, waiting for it to be accepted.

Right on. I probably won't need to check that review, I thought pretty much the same thing about the album. I'm always looking out for good live records of bands I like, so that's why I asked.

That Destroyer 666 track is pretty badass, listening to the rest of their MySpace stuff right now.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Not Very Metal posted:

Right on. I probably won't need to check that review, I thought pretty much the same thing about the album. I'm always looking out for good live records of bands I like, so that's why I asked.

That Destroyer 666 track is pretty badass, listening to the rest of their MySpace stuff right now.

Definitely check out Phoenix Rising, I'm actually listening to it right now!

http://www.last.fm/user/deltawing12/
Sergeant Rathbun - USMC
Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07 Oct 06 - Apr 07

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
That new Destroyer 666 track's got me all sorts of hyped for the new album. I'm also wetting myself over the new Gorgoroth album, esp. since Pest is vocalist again, so maybe the new disc will be like the old ones before Infernus stopped giving a poo poo and Gaahl decided the band must be the grimmest and most frostbitten and most boring.

On another note, has Marduk showed up yet? :smith:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

WatermelonGun posted:

On another note, has Marduk showed up yet? :smith:

From what I've heard, they're still MIA at the Blackened Fest shows.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

I'm loving the new Deströyer 666 track. Sounds heaps better than Phoenix Rising (which is seriously hampered by the poo poo production) or Cold Steel which was just really boring and lame

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

WatermelonGun posted:

I'm also wetting myself over the new Gorgoroth album, esp. since Pest is vocalist again, so maybe the new disc will be like the old ones before Infernus stopped giving a poo poo and Gaahl decided the band must be the grimmest and most frostbitten and most boring.

I agree, I'm pretty excited for the new Gorgoroth and the God Seed albums. Sounds like you're not the biggest fan of post-apathetic Infernus Gorgoroth though?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Not Very Metal posted:

I agree, I'm pretty excited for the new Gorgoroth and the God Seed albums. Sounds like you're not the biggest fan of post-apathetic Infernus Gorgoroth though?

Yeah, I think Incipit Satan was their last LP that was worth multiple listens, and I'm not even that hip on that one (Under the Sign of Hell is best). Once Gaahl and King took over, though, the band just got sort of boring. But I think Gaahl's a fantastic vocalist, so I'll check out the God Seed album for sure, I'm just not expecting something that I'll be listening to for very long.
"God Seed," though. Really? That was like the worst song on that album.

Edit: Didn't notice the fatty Gorgoroth discussion in the metal thread.

WatermelonGun fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 28, 2009

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

WatermelonGun posted:

Yeah, I think Incipit Satan was their last LP that was worth multiple listens, and I'm not even that hip on that one (Under the Sign of Hell is best). Once Gaahl and King took over, though, the band just got sort of boring. But I think Gaahl's a fantastic vocalist, so I'll check out the God Seed album for sure, I'm just not expecting something that I'll be listening to for very long.
"God Seed," though. Really? That was like the worst song on that album.

Edit: Didn't notice the fatty Gorgoroth discussion in the metal thread.
How good can a band made up of an elementary school teacher and a women's fashion designer be

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Misogynist posted:

How good can a band made up of an elementary school teacher and a women's fashion designer be

Did not know Gaahl was actually gay. Mind blown.

Isn't one of the dudes in Darkthrone a teacher too?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Mudflap McDirt posted:

From what I've heard, they're still MIA at the Blackened Fest shows.

Oh poo. They better get into the country by the time the tour hits Seattle. I want to see them.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

WatermelonGun posted:

Nocturno Culto is, yeah.

as is pretty much every other black metal or metal musician in the Nordic countries.

Frost teaches (?) maths at university level.
The bassist from Ensiferum is a kindergarten teacher.

I could go on.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

WatermelonGun posted:

Eh, what could possibly be more anti-Christian than practicing sodomy?

quote:

Yes, and the other dude works for the postal service. There aren't too many people who can make a full-time living as metal musicians around here.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Kaiho posted:

Studies math in Oslo, but I would absolutely take a class taught by him. It would be hilarious listening to him explain trig functions and matrices with his girly voice. Then hopefully we could field trip to a cave where he'd blow giant fireballs.

Not Very Metal fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 29, 2009

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Kaiho posted:

Nocturno Culto is, yeah.

as is pretty much every other black metal or metal musician in the Nordic countries.

The bassist from Ensiferum is a kindergarten teacher.

I could go on.

Vintersorg is an elementary school math/science teacher. I wonder if he makes up little songs to help his students with the concepts :3:. Or, breaks out the death growl when little Andreas is caught putting gum in Inga's hair again.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I remember Richard Christy said when he was touring with Death (oh god sorry) he was able to live without a job comfortably for a couple months, but could never just do music full time.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Alas, it sounds like the new album from Deströyer 666 will not disappoint. Its called, Defiance and comes out on July 14th in the US (June 22nd in Europe). You can hear one track, A Stand Defiant here...

http://www.myspace.com/destroyer666band

Besides a new Immortal, this has me the most excited for blackened goodness.

Cool I thought they had been killed in inter-ethnic strife after they emigrated to Albania or whatever.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gloria GBStefan posted:

Cool I thought they had been killed in inter-ethnic strife after they emigrated to Albania or whatever.
Netherlands

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Not Very Metal posted:

Studies math in Oslo, but I would absolutely take a class taught by him. It would be hilarious listening to him explain trig functions and matrices with his girly voice. Then hopefully we could field trip to a cave where he'd blow giant fireballs.

Do you think he wears his kittycat contacts to work?

(I'm pretty sure I've seen something saying he taught a class or two. Must be a postgraduate teaching position, as in not a lectureship or anything)

J72826
May 18, 2009

Potential BFF posted:

The latest Katharsis has some cool parts, nothing groundbreaking but its pretty solid.

I'm very pleased with it (still waiting for the actual LP to arrive so I can read the lyrics), but still, I'm wondering how it would've sounded with VVorldVVithoutEnd-production. Dear Lord did those drums sound brilliant.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Groke posted:

Eh, what could possibly be more anti-Christian than practicing sodomy?

Yeah, I've always wondered where the fervent anti-gay thing in black metal came from. Doesn't seem like something that a bunch of nihilist Europeans would all get behind.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
A new church-fire in Norway, this time in Våler.

The aftermath:

No suspects have been found yet, but according to VG the police are fearing a new wave of arson. Makes me wonder if someone is celebrating Varg's release.

Norwegian so-called "Satanism"-expert posted:

We can get a new wave, a sort of backwards-looking nostalgia to the time when the Black Metal scene was "true" and evil. If you get enough people pushing eachother hard enough, these situations can arise.

As someone commented on the YouTube-clip, maybe Varg needs a cover for his upcoming album?

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 30, 2009

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
Marduk hasn't shown up to the first half of Blackenedfest because of Visa issues:

quote:

The situation with MARDUK not having performed during the first half of Blackenedfest is due to one member of the band not having received his visa yet.

It is not a 'denied' visa. The band filed for a P-1 non-immigrant working visa, which is required for a band to play in the states. The visa was APPROVED by the United States Government's Homeland Security Office.

Furthermore, as required, the band members each individually went to their visa appointments at the U.S. embassy in Stockholm for the standard interview, at which point the persons handling the band's applications informed the band that there was no further action needed and that they should expect their passports in the mail with the P-1 visa attached.

Everyone in the band received theirs except Mortuus...

”There was no missing document, as earlier stated by Earsplit, but a legal document in Swedish that the US Embassy one day (!) prior to departure informed us that they needed to have ”professionally translated” into English in order to finalize the visa - even though we specifically asked them months earlier if it was ok that some documents were in Swedish; their response being: ”Yes, there is no problem, we have people here that speak Swedish”. Note that a translation from a certified agency (which is a mandatory) takes up to a week - and the Embassy is well aware of this. So, why they waited until the very last day to give us this information, or why the other member’s documents needed no translation, one can only imagine”
/Mort.

We are currently awaiting each day for the passport to be returned to Mortuus with the visa stamp. The embassy is aware of the urgency of this matter and we expect the band to join the tour in progress any day now.

MARDUK are prepared to make up the shows they missed immediately after Blackenedfest ends. These dates will be announced shortly.

So apparently there is hope.

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.
Man, even though Tallahassee was just an off-day little show I hope they come back for us. I was looking forward to that a lot.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

WatermelonGun posted:

Yeah, I've always wondered where the fervent anti-gay thing in black metal came from. Doesn't seem like something that a bunch of nihilist Europeans would all get behind.

Inherent right-wingedness. Yes, I am aware of the irony of the right wing ideals being based on a fervent reading of the Bible but it's still true. The nationalism and go-it-alone attitude of a lot of black metal just don't go with the perceived feminised image of homosexuality (and yeah it was nationalistic even before NSBM - just think about the Deathlike Silence record covers).

My Norwegian friend put it really well, and I was hoping to explore this a little bit more at some point: He said that the egalitarianism of Norway and other Nordic countries has resulted in a feeling of emasculation among young men, and thus a yearning for a time when "men were men". Flamboyance and emotions have no place in such a world of self-sufficiency and survival. It's a show of strength.

I haven't heard of any attacks on Gaahl's sexuality, though.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Kaiho posted:

Inherent right-wingedness. Yes, I am aware of the irony of the right wing ideals being based on a fervent reading of the Bible but it's still true. The nationalism and go-it-alone attitude of a lot of black metal just don't go with the perceived feminised image of homosexuality (and yeah it was nationalistic even before NSBM - just think about the Deathlike Silence record covers).

My Norwegian friend put it really well, and I was hoping to explore this a little bit more at some point: He said that the egalitarianism of Norway and other Nordic countries has resulted in a feeling of emasculation among young men, and thus a yearning for a time when "men were men". Flamboyance and emotions have no place in such a world of self-sufficiency and survival. It's a show of strength.

I haven't heard of any attacks on Gaahl's sexuality, though.

That's really interesting. Thanks.

I heard that Gaahl's ex-boyfriend (the dude who helped him design ladies' pants :black101:) was receiving death threats and poo poo, but I read that on the internet, so take it with a grain of salt.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

WatermelonGun posted:

That's really interesting. Thanks.

I heard that Gaahl's ex-boyfriend (the dude who helped him design ladies' pants :black101:) was receiving death threats and poo poo, but I read that on the internet, so take it with a grain of salt.

They're exes? :ohdear: I hope Gaahl finds another boyfriend soon.

I wonder if part of the reason that Gaahl has been immune from attack, if it were is because he's such an old and respected member of the scene. Some young out gay kid from Vik or some other hole in Norway just starting his first BM band? Probably wouldn't get the same respect.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Inherent right-wingedness. Yes, I am aware of the irony of the right wing ideals being based on a fervent reading of the Bible but it's still true.

Also, homophobia was seriously a pretty well-attested element of prechristian Germanic cultures. So at least for those who are into that whole angle it does not altogether come out of nowhere.

Colonelfarva
May 3, 2006

WatermelonGun posted:

Ihsahn (of Emperor) is a music teacher, too.

Ravintolassa
Oct 19, 2008

Hvað er með ásum?
Hvað er með álfum?
Hví ertu einn kominn
í Jötunheima?

Qu Appelle posted:

They're exes? :ohdear: I hope Gaahl finds another boyfriend soon.

I wonder if part of the reason that Gaahl has been immune from attack, if it were is because he's such an old and respected member of the scene. Some young out gay kid from Vik or some other hole in Norway just starting his first BM band? Probably wouldn't get the same respect.

Uh, there's been plenty of backlash again Gaahl being gay. Not much here, thankfully, but elsewhere it seems to be if anything the norm.

Groke posted:

Also, homophobia was seriously a pretty well-attested element of prechristian Germanic cultures. So at least for those who are into that whole angle it does not altogether come out of nowhere.

Ignoring the fact that deriving your beliefs from a pre-modern society is idiotic and a little oafish, Germanic views on homosexuality were a liiittle more complicated than the typical grade-school "GAAHL IS A human being HAHA" poo poo you'll find on youtube, for example.

But Marduk coming back is good news. Not really a fan, but they'll probably put on an enjoyable show, and maybe bring some decent bands with them.

Drudkh
Feb 17, 2009

by mons all madden
lol are you guys seriously mad that black metal people dont accept homosexuality?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Drudkh posted:

lol are you guys seriously mad that black metal people dont accept homosexuality?

It's pretty lame yeah

HelmutVonSchmeller
Nov 23, 2007
Oooh, it's a jellyfish!

Drudkh posted:

Mad? No. I find it vastly amusing in an Archie Bunker sort of way. I mean, come on, really? "I reject and despise Christianity, and praise that which it deems abhorrent. EXCEPT FOR THOSE FAGGOTS"

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Ravintolassa posted:

Uh, there's been plenty of backlash again Gaahl being gay. Not much here, thankfully, but elsewhere it seems to be if anything the norm.

Huh. Fair enough, I had no idea. Among my friends at least, it just seems to get a big shrug. I guess I just haven't seen this backlash.

And count me in in those who thinks the homophobia in the 'scene' is pretty stupid.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Ravintolassa posted:

Ignoring the fact that deriving your beliefs from a pre-modern society is idiotic and a little oafish,

There is no more of a shortage of idiots and oafs among metalheads than there is in the population as a whole.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The black metal scene is basically a pro-wrestling crowd. You boo the gays and the foreigners and cheer for the people that look most like yourself.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
Still waiting for Nazgul to release Elfmorul :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Check out "Philosophy of Winter" by Forest Silence. I wouldn't go so far as to call it ambient, but the spacey sounding keyboards certainly make it nice and relaxing. :coolfish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9-7z96ECBM