Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DarthBlingBling posted:

It's spinning down to save energy I believe. You can change this in the power options. You're hard drive is not hosed.
If I do Control Panel -> Power Options, I don't see anything of the sort :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Josh Lyman posted:

If I do Control Panel -> Power Options, I don't see anything of the sort :psyduck:

Change plan settings > advanced settings >

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Has anyone tried to get Guitar Pro 5 working? The setup program runs and I get the UAC alert, but nothing more happens. I've tried running it with and without XP and Vista compatibilities and as an administrator/not.

New page. Also, I've been having issues installing other things. This time, it's the Zinio reader for my PC Magazine digital sub. I get the error "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." What gives?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

DarthBlingBling posted:

You can still make it say "Never" like in Vista, though right, not just a really high value if you never want it to spin down?

CheeToS
Dec 25, 2003
Dangerously Cheesy

Factor Mystic posted:

You can still make it say "Never" like in Vista, though right, not just a really high value if you never want it to spin down?

Yes, just enter '0' and it will say Never.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
Concerning all the codec stuff, I've been using GOM player and it works just fine without having to install any codec packs. MPC-Home cinema also has an alpha x64-bit version.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'm pretty sure now that my problems were due to my other hard disk being in its death throes. Giving 7 another chance.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Ok, here's one that baffles me with harddrives and Windows experience index:

Desktop: Western Digital Raptor X 160GB 10000rpm, AHCI, Intel P35 chipset: 5,1

Laptop: 2,5" Western Digital Caviar Black, 320GB, 16MB cache, 7200 rpm, Nvidia 9400M chipset, AHCI: 5,8

The Raptor is listed as "Multi Word DMA" in Device manager, which is supposed to be slow, but real world performance is 80MB+ per second.

I would assume that the raptor is faster than the laptop drive, and should get a higher score. Even if the laptop is somewhat faster, I think the difference in score is conspicuously big. Anyone experience something similar?

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
My WD5000AAKS 500GB 16MB cache 7200rpm drive gets a 5.9, So I dunno. I don't really hold any appreciable stock in what 'experience index' really entails anyways.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

xamphear posted:

Do you have a touch screen or tablet laptop? If so, the extra spacing may be intentional.

It also happens if you have a digitizer, such as a Wacom tablet connected. I was wondering why the "peek field" next to the clock was 3 times its normal size until I read your post. I think it just goes by whether the drivers are installed.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

evobatman posted:

Ok, here's one that baffles me with harddrives and Windows experience index:

Desktop: Western Digital Raptor X 160GB 10000rpm, AHCI, Intel P35 chipset: 5,1

Laptop: 2,5" Western Digital Caviar Black, 320GB, 16MB cache, 7200 rpm, Nvidia 9400M chipset, AHCI: 5,8

The Raptor is listed as "Multi Word DMA" in Device manager, which is supposed to be slow, but real world performance is 80MB+ per second.

I would assume that the raptor is faster than the laptop drive, and should get a higher score. Even if the laptop is somewhat faster, I think the difference in score is conspicuously big. Anyone experience something similar?
On some Lenovo T500 laptops, downloading the proper driver bumped their HDD score from 5.8 to 7.9. Think it was the Intel Storage Matrix in their case. It was on forums.lenovo.com, but can't find the thread now. Doesn't help that I forgot my password. :v:

Maybe you're just missing a driver.

Argila
Oct 23, 2008
Is anybody getting weird window focus issues? For some reason when I am typing in almost any program / app every once in a while windows will either switch to a different window, enter the text before I am finished with it, or switch to a different point in the typed text (think just clicking back in the message accept automatically). I was thinking it could be a keyboard driver but I use a laptop, not to sure if there is any drivers out there for the keyboard (I checked the driver disk that came with it). Anybody else having similar problems?
edit: using a dell xps 1530m

Argila fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 29, 2009

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

tasslex posted:

Is there something limiting the resolution of Video Playback in Media Player Classic? DRM perhaps? Everything in Media Player Classic looks like rear end. I can tell it's using the proper codecs that I have manually installed, as Process Explorer shows the filters being loaded.

As others have mentioned, change the renderer. The default just doesn't get along with 7 and gives you the blocky output I'm sure you're seeing. I'm using VMR9 Renderless and it works great on both Beta and RC.

Still loving W7, it's everything that was good about Vista (and even though I'm a Vista hater, I will readily admit it brought a lot of good) with most of the bad filtered out. The majority of the remaining bad is either too small for me to care or just the way it has to be done even if I don't like it.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

DarthBlingBling posted:

Is it better for the life of the hard drive to let it turn off after awhile or to just put it on "never"?

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
PowerISO should be in the main post - there's such a lot of crappy software around to mount images, it's scary!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

Is it better for the life of the hard drive to let it turn off after awhile or to just put it on "never"?
Unless the hard drive will turn on and off rapidly, turning it off will increase the longevity of the motor, despite the myth that you should always keep HDs on.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Josh Lyman posted:

Unless the hard drive will turn on and off rapidly, turning it off will increase the longevity of the motor, despite the myth that you should always keep HDs on.

Source?

Not saying you are wrong, but I'd love to see that backed up.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've tried everything I could think of to get the Zune drivers to install. But I'm also having a problem installing the drivers for my digital camera. It's a Cannon PowerShot SX110IS. Same problem: I plug in & the drivers fail to install.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Warthog posted:

PowerISO should be in the main post - there's such a lot of crappy software around to mount images, it's scary!

Virtual CloneDrive was in the OP of the old thread, but yeh, it seems PowerISO works with 7 too when I believe it didn't for a while, so that's another viable option.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Alcohol 52% is also good on Win 7, and supports mds/mdf files which VCD doesn't.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Okay, I don't know what the goddamn problem was but completely reinstalling Windows seemed to solve. Everything works now.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
So are there no big changes between 7100, 7127, and 7137?

Just going from 7057 to 7068 to 7077, there were noticeable changes between each one of those builds.

I'll be loading 7137 in a bit.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
Is there any decent way to get virtual desktop support in Windows 7?

edit: I also noticed my boot time got really slow (seems to hang on the Windows splash screen during boot) after I installed my video drivers (Catalyst 9.5) - anyone know why?

supster fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 30, 2009

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Argila posted:

Is anybody getting weird window focus issues? For some reason when I am typing in almost any program / app every once in a while windows will either switch to a different window, enter the text before I am finished with it, or switch to a different point in the typed text (think just clicking back in the message accept automatically). I was thinking it could be a keyboard driver but I use a laptop, not to sure if there is any drivers out there for the keyboard (I checked the driver disk that came with it). Anybody else having similar problems?
edit: using a dell xps 1530m

Does the laptop have a touch pad? If it doesn't, you might be touching that with your palm and accidentally clicking somewhere else on the screen.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Its minor, but since I rarely use it I just now ran into it. What is everyone using to capture images from a webcam? In Vista and XP it showed up in my computer but I can't find it anywhere in 7. Yes I did verify that it is installed.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Xenomorph posted:

Just going from 7057 to 7068 to 7077, there were noticeable changes between each one of those builds.

Any changes from 7100 onward will be compatibility updates, any bug fixes, under the hood type stuff. As of 7100, it is "feature complete."

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
I'm trying to pin my music folder to the taskbar. Win7 is pinning my general "Libraries" folder the taskbar, rather than my music directory. Is there any way to fix this and get it to do what I want?

Google doesn't seem to be of too much aid.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Xenomorph posted:

No idea if this is accurate but iHackintosh posted a preported changelog for 7140 (which hasn't leaked). No idea if some of this stuff is in 7137 as well or if the list is accurate.

[Apparently Fake stuff edited out so as not to confuse those who follow]

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 30, 2009

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

4. You can change the login screen picture through the “Personalization” menu.
5. The menu/lists that pop up when you right click on things now have the Aero Glass effect.
6. The default icons for Folders have changed to be the transparent blue ones featured a long time ago.
7. The Minimize/Maximize/Exit buttons on the top-right of a window have changed icons, and are a bit smaller than the Vista/7 counterparts.
8. [BIG ONE]: There’s an “Upload” feature for Pictures, files, and videos. If you right-click a file, and click “Upload”, you can make it automatically upload to a website of your choice. After uploading, a pop-up will appear saying it’s done, and clicking “OK” will cause the link/download link to the file to appear in the popup box. I tried ImageShack and Facebook
, and they work.

Holy gently caress, it's like they've listened to almost everything anyone has ever wanted.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

No idea if this is accurate but

It's fake. They are not going to add things like this at this point. A lot of that stuff would be annoying and they wouldn't change the UI like that post-beta.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

beejay posted:

It's fake. They are not going to add things like this at this point. A lot of that stuff would be annoying and they wouldn't change the UI like that post-beta.

DAMNIT.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Is there a way to make the taskbar work like XP? I like having a quick launch, it bothers me that everything keeps moving around when I open new programs.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Cage posted:

Is there a way to make the taskbar work like XP? I like having a quick launch, it bothers me that everything keeps moving around when I open new programs.

What do you mean? Anything that's pinned to the taskbar won't move from that position.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Windows 7 does not like some of the on-board sound cards in P4 class Dell Optiplexes ( GX270, GX280, GX320, GX620, ETC ETC ). If you have that SoundMax Digital Audio card, chances are, windows 7 will not like it and running the service tag on a GX280 will not display a win7 or a Vista driver. However, most vista drivers work in Windows 7 if you can find them, which I managed to do.

Go here:
http://ftp.dell.com/audio/

Look for this:
11/12/2007 12:10 PM 3351528 R145551.EXE

Even though Dell doesn't specifically list a vista/windows7 driver for the older Soundmax onboard audio that one will work.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Bean_ posted:

I'm trying to pin my music folder to the taskbar. Win7 is pinning my general "Libraries" folder the taskbar, rather than my music directory. Is there any way to fix this and get it to do what I want?

Google doesn't seem to be of too much aid.

Two options:
Since you've already tried to pin the music directory to the taskbar, you should be able to right click (or click-drag up) the explorer icon to get to the jump list, which should have your music folder pinned.

The other option is to add your music folder as a toolbar. Right click the task bar, select toolbars > New Toolbar..., and choose your music folder.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Kapinga, while your first option is not quite what I was looking for (the first option was still two steps, and didn't provide anything really useful over what it was already doing) the second step is a good compromise. Its not still not exactly what I was looking for, but seeing as I can click on the toolbar and navigate to exact where I was going to go, its good.

Thanks for the info!

I'm liking Windows 7 more and more. :D

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I'm somewhat pissed that I cheaped on my vostro 1400's processor and wouldn't you know it it's one of the few meroms that doesn't have x86 virtualization support. No virtual XP instance for me, no sir.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

What do you mean? Anything that's pinned to the taskbar won't move from that position.
I dunno, say if I pin firefox and then open it it'll expand on the taskbar. When it does that it'll push everything else over to the right. I just like that tiny quick launch that always stayed on the left.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Cage posted:

I dunno, say if I pin firefox and then open it it'll expand on the taskbar. When it does that it'll push everything else over to the right. I just like that tiny quick launch that always stayed on the left.

You have changed your taskbar settings from defaults. Set it to always combine, hide labels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

beejay posted:

:smith:

Pure bliss followed by crash and burn.