Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

grap3fruitman posted:

There's a few things I regret; going with that dark of a paint color, forgetting to run CAT5E everywhere I needed it, not thinking to run something other than speaker wire to the back of the room (say like HDMI or something) and not putting in a projector. Oh well.

Or just Conduit. Who sits in the chair on the box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

grap3fruitman posted:

There's a few things I regret; going with that dark of a paint color, forgetting to run CAT5E everywhere I needed it, not thinking to run something other than speaker wire to the back of the room (say like HDMI or something) and not putting in a projector. Oh well.

The green looks a bit weird in comparison to the other stuff in the room but other than that it looks like a nice setup. That is also a really nice floor.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
You could always put an 18% neutral gray paint behind it...

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

grap3fruitman posted:

I really like the color. You can probably really warm it up with some carefully placed incandescent lighting through the room. I really like that room. I'd spend every second of my life down there.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

grap3fruitman posted:

I like the Rockets. 850's and a Bigfoot?

grap3fruitman
Jun 30, 2005

GOOCHY posted:

I like the Rockets. 850's and a Bigfoot?
And 450s for rears, yeah.

That box with the chair is the MFW-15 that I was in the middle of packing to finally return after being ignored by AV123 for half a year. I might be building a Maelstrom-X sub soon, not sure. I needs me some bass.

Thanks for the positive comments guys. =)

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

falz posted:

Or just Conduit. Who sits in the chair on the box?

Haha at that chair comment. Lost my poo poo laughing.

From the back row:

From the front row:

From the front:

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
I don't believe I've posted my Stereo setup here yet. I'm a tube guy, as my name/avatar suggests.

Click here for the full 1440x610 image.

Complete System: 1958 Leak Stereo 50 Power Amplifier. 25WRMS, can use El34, KT66, Or 6l6GC/5881 output tubes. All small signal tubes are NOS Mullard 12AX7's. Dyanaco PAS-2 Tube Preamp. Uses 4 12ax7's, Two for the phono preamp, and two for the line stage. Turntable is a ProJect Debut III with a NOS Pickering NP/AC High output magnetic cart installed. I don't use the turntable much as the room has a creaky wood floor that picks up vibration like crazy. I'm working on a wall mount for it. CD Player is an old Sony I've had forever. Speakers are late 60's Aztec Gauguin III's, A bass reflex system with 10" Driver and a Jensen Horn Midrange and tweeter. The FM Tuner is a mid 60's Monarch, made in Japan by Trio/Kenwood.

Click here for the full 1440x1080 image.

A little closer in...

Click here for the full 1440x1080 image.

Closeup Shot of the Leak. I just installed a new quad of "Svetlana" 6L6CG output tubes made by New Sensor at the Reflektor factory in Saratov, Russia.

Click here for the full 1440x1405 image.

Bonus Glowing tube shot.
Sorry for the crappy picture quality. My camera doesn't like low light conditions.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 27, 2009

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

MullardEL34 posted:

I don't believe I've posted my Stereo setup here yet. I'm a tube guy, as my name/avatar suggests.

That is the exact system I would want on a snowy winter night, with a fire going, nice glass of wine, girlfriend curled up in a blanket next to you, playing Fleetwood Mac...

Best way I can describe it. Nice stuff!

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Acc-Risk posted:

That is the exact system I would want on a snowy winter night, with a fire going, nice glass of wine, girlfriend curled up in a blanket next to you, playing Fleetwood Mac...

Best way I can describe it. Nice stuff!

Thanks for the compliments!
Actually, you don't really need the fireplace. Those 6l6's dissipate enough heat to warm a small to medium sized room :v:

The soft glow in a darkened room can be quite relaxing as well.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

grap3fruitman posted:

And 450s for rears, yeah.

That box with the chair is the MFW-15 that I was in the middle of packing to finally return after being ignored by AV123 for half a year. I might be building a Maelstrom-X sub soon, not sure. I needs me some bass.

Thanks for the positive comments guys. =)

Too bad on the MFW-15. I've heard far too many stories of that stuff over at AVS, TCA, and AV123's own forums until they went into some kind of purgatory. I have a working *knock on wood* MFW-15 and it rocks the house. Definite bang for the buck if you're willing to deal with potential amp issues. I assume that's what you're returning it for?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

grap3fruitman posted:

I wonder if it would improve the sound to move the speakers a bit beyond the wall corner and pillar. At least theoretically.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Saukkis posted:

I wonder if it would improve the sound to move the speakers a bit beyond the wall corner and pillar. At least theoretically.

I would definitely push them out past the edge of the wall. That hard surface right next to the speaker is a great way to reflect sound waves off at odd angles.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

Saukkis posted:

I had mine back just a hair and it threw off the imaging to the point that it sounded like all material was mono. I have a bad enough problem with separation without adding that.

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

Wow, and I just dusted!

Cat Hair =(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stares At Floor fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 31, 2009

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Stares At Floor posted:

expensive stuff
What's the thing next to the Popcorn Hour?

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

falz posted:

What's the thing next to the Popcorn Hour?

Oh, that is a 1TB Mirrored RAID, USB. Holds all the movies, audio, etc...

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
are those dahlquist speakers?

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

Omegaslast posted:

are those dahlquist speakers?

Indeed they are, DQ-28. I love em. Got em for $500 shipped! The woofers were re-coned shortly before I bought them

Stares At Floor fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 28, 2009

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Stares At Floor posted:

Indeed they are, DQ-20. I love em. Got em for $500 shipped! The woofers were re-coned shortly before I bought them

theyre an interesting looking speaker underneath the huge grill shroud thing that i usually see them with.

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

Omegaslast posted:

theyre an interesting looking speaker underneath the huge grill shroud thing that i usually see them with.

Yeah my grills are warped and chipped. I suppose I could be bothered enough to hammer them to shape and spray paint them, but they're kinda neat looking the way they are. Want some close ups of any part of them?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Just did a rearrange, got a new Receiver and PC monitor.

taken while playing Flight Sim

Receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR307, and there is a Pioneer PD-M453 6-disc CD player under the TV/on top of the cable box.

TV: Toshiba Regza 40RV525U, Monitor is an Acer X223W.

Mixer is a Behringer Eurorack UB802

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
Mr. Stares at Floor. I'd like to point out that the 555 II is one of my favorite amps of all time. I ran one for many years along with a 545 and aside from losing a transistor on the input stage, it really took a lot of abuse.

Good stuff!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Kilonum posted:

Just did a rearrange, got a new Receiver and PC monitor.

taken while playing Flight Sim

Receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR307, and there is a Pioneer PD-M453 6-disc CD player under the TV/on top of the cable box.

TV: Toshiba Regza 40RV525U, Monitor is an Acer X223W.

Mixer is a Behringer Eurorack UB802

It may be just the angle of the picture but that looks like a nightmare of ergonomics.

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

Acc-Risk posted:

Mr. Stares at Floor. I'd like to point out that the 555 II is one of my favorite amps of all time. I ran one for many years along with a 545 and aside from losing a transistor on the input stage, it really took a lot of abuse.

Good stuff!

Yeah I love Adcom amps. I would love to get my hands on another 555 for outdoor speaker use, but kind have to get a house first for that. At some point I'll have Adcom powering the entire system, and just be using the Elite for processing. Not sure what I'll do with the Carver, maybe make it a subwoofer or something.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

renraku posted:

It may be just the angle of the picture but that looks like a nightmare of ergonomics.

Angle and also you don't see my couch which is pretty low as it is, though to be perfectly honest I wouldn't mind the coffee table being 6" higher and a little bit closer.

Akvj1n
Dec 27, 2003

Communism, the word of G-d.

I just took the stands out of storage (dust) and need to cut some speaker wire.

Stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 147 Receiver
Energy - RC-10 Speakers
Samsung 40-Inch 1080p TV
PS3 60 GB
Logitech diNovo Edge keyboard
Lacie 1TB HDD
Not pictured: Lenovo laptop as Media Center, DirecTV.

Saving for: a subwoofer and perhaps a center speaker.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Akvj1n posted:

I just took the stands out of storage (dust) and need to cut some speaker wire.

Stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 147 Receiver
Energy - RC-10 Speakers
Samsung 40-Inch 1080p TV
PS3 60 GB
Logitech diNovo Edge keyboard
Lacie 1TB HDD
Not pictured: Lenovo laptop as Media Center, DirecTV.

Saving for: a subwoofer and perhaps a center speaker.

Two questions:

Where'd you get the speaker stands or do you know where I can get some that look like yours? All the ones I see in town are skinny and tall, I'd like something shaped more like yours.

Also, the entertainment center, where'd that come from?

Akvj1n
Dec 27, 2003

Communism, the word of G-d.

1997 posted:

Two questions:

Where'd you get the speaker stands or do you know where I can get some that look like yours? All the ones I see in town are skinny and tall, I'd like something shaped more like yours.

Also, the entertainment center, where'd that come from?

They're Energy - C-ST Speaker Stands. I got the entertainment center from Ikea. They have a darker color that actually matched my stands and TV, but it looked like poo poo.

EDIT: I got the stands from Audio Advisor.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Akvj1n posted:

They're Energy - C-ST Speaker Stands. I got the entertainment center from Ikea. They have a darker color that actually matched my stands and TV, but it looked like poo poo.

EDIT: I got the stands from Audio Advisor.

Thank you very much kind sir.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.
I'll play again:

Video/Gaming
Sony Bravia 46" Z4100
Sony S350 Blu-Ray Player
PS3, 360 and Wii
Home Theater PC (Intel Core 2 Duo/Geforce 9400 mobo)

Audio
Dayton A732 Kit Speakers
Sony HD Radio Tuner XDRF1HD
Sony 5-disc SACD Changer SCD-CE595
Technics 1200MK2 turntable
Denon PMA-750 Integrated Amplifier (this is 28 years old and sounds awesome)

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances
Oh how I hate moving. To relax, the first thing I did was set up this minimal stereo system consisting of:

Onix Reference 1.5 speakers
Denon PRA-1500 pre-amp
Rotel RB-980BX amp
Zune 80

Never had a stereo with a view before.

(warning: camera phone)

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Pibborando San posted:

Oh how I hate moving. To relax, the first thing I did was set up this minimal stereo system....

That looks extremely relaxing. I dream of having a stereo/headphone setup where I can just stare out the window and go off into my own little world. :D

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
First of all, apologies for the crappy iPhone picture. Here's my new setup, which is pretty much done except for tidying poo poo up:

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

TV: Polaroid 32" LCD. Who knew Polaroid made TVs? I got this thing a couple of years ago for cheaps and I really want to replace it. Do they even still make HDTVs that can't display 1080p?
AV receiver: Denon AVR-1909. There's a major shortage of AV receivers in the UK right now. I wanted the Sony STR-DA2400ES but I couldn't find it ANYWHERE. I eventually settled for this - which I had to get on eBay for Christ's sakes - but I'm pretty happy with it. Major pain in the rear end to set it up, though.
Speakers: Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 package. paint dry, why do you have a 5.1 system when you have no way to put the surrounds behind you? Shut up, I don't know. It sounds good to me, anyhow. In retrospect, maybe I should've just gone with stereo. Next time!
Other stuff: PS3, Sky Digital box. Cabinet was an emergency purchase from IKEA when I realised I couldn't attach the speakers to the wall without bringing it down.

Anyhow, you might have noticed that nothing in this setup is perfect! This is my first "serious" home cinema setup, but overall I'm happy with it.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

(click for bigger)

TV: Samsung LN46A550
AVR: Pioneer Elite SC-05
Center: Wharfedale Diamond 9.CM
Mains: Wharfedale Diamond 9.5
Surrounds (not shown): Wharfedale Diamond 9.SR
Sub (not shown, not currently hooked up): Velodyne CHT-10
Other: PS3, 360, Wii, 2-Wire DSL gateway and Motorola set-top/DVR for AT&T U-verse, various Guitar Hero/Rock Band fake plastic instruments

Since I got the SC-05 last week, I think I'm pretty much done with hardware for now as long as I'm doing apartment living (which is why the CHT-10 isn't hooked up, although I might try it again here soon). What I'm really trying to do is replace the crappy Wal-Mart racks I have with something better - ideally, one single unit that all this stuff could fit on, and which can effectively hide my cable mess. The main problem here is the 9.CM, which is pretty tall for a center: the shelf it's on now has a 9 3/4" opening, and it's got less than 1/2" of clearance on the top.

That's a secondary furniture concern right now to finding some shelving to store my alcohol collection, though. :) Oh, I do want to get a better power distribution system than the bargain-bin surge strip I have now. Other than that, I think I'm done until I own or rent a house to myself and can throw out some higher decibels without as much worry.

Yalc
Mar 5, 2003

Gayin it up itt

BattleHork posted:

I'll play again:

[timg]

Video/Gaming
Sony Bravia 46" Z4100
Sony S350 Blu-Ray Player
PS3, 360 and Wii
Home Theater PC (Intel Core 2 Duo/Geforce 9400 mobo)

Audio
Dayton A732 Kit Speakers
Sony HD Radio Tuner XDRF1HD
Sony 5-disc SACD Changer SCD-CE595
Technics 1200MK2 turntable
Denon PMA-750 Integrated Amplifier (this is 28 years old and sounds awesome)

where can I get that stand

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Yalc posted:

where can I get that stand

HH Gregg: http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp?SID=n&ProductID=21183&BrandStore=All

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Just had my theater totally redone with an Epson Ensemble HD system.

Before:

After:

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
is that the one with the speaker that lays across the floor/ceiling (im not sure which)?? was it really cheap or something why did you choose it over a dedicated 5.1 system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
The left/center/right speakers are attached to the screen housing. The surrounds are on the sides of the projector. The sub is a 10" powered model and it's sitting in the corner.

This particular model normally costs $5,000, but I'm evaluating it for work. It's a neat concept - an entire home theater for $5K. 1080p projector, 100" motorized screen, 5.1 surround, universal remote with macro, installs in a weekend. For the price, a dedicated do-it-yourselfer could come up with something that looks and sounds a little better, but there are plenty of folks out there who aren't willing to do the research and agonize over every component of the system. This is for them.

Also, I'm much more of a video stickler than I am for audio, and the Epson 6100 is a really nice projector. The sound system is (a) loud and (b) better than what I had in there, so it's all good with me.

And please don't post in all lowercase.