Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Put my C-Pillar trim back on my car very carefully since its worth about as much as the rest of the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I am not a bean posted:

I'm pretty sure the filter in my 2001 Accord has never been done - the HVAC blows pretty weak even on high (it makes noises like the fan is running on high, but not much air comes out). My mechanic laughed when I asked him how much he would charge me to replace it and told me I probably didn't want to know, and said it was a 1-2 hour job. At $85/hour.

The guy at the parts store said "Have fun!" and had quite a grin on his face when I picked up the filters... I'm hoping that this is the most obnoxious thing in my car. (I have an LX I-4 so it doesn't have the glass transmission)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I changed the oil in the Mazdaspeed3 for the first time tonight. Not a bad job actually, even with that drat undertray to remove. I do need to get a filter wrench that fits it specifically, though, none of my strap wrenches work very well on it.

I then went for a drive and then proceeded to get chased home by some fuckwad in an Escalade who thought I had cut him off when I was passing on a two-lane highway and had to brake for oncoming traffic. :v:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Good News: Replaced my blower motor in 30 minutes.

Bad News: Noticed a slight drip of coolant coming into the cabin from the heater core.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I drove it to a dealership where I put my signature on paperwork to purchase something to replace it. Nothing unusual but it is pretty nice. Expect a thread.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Took it to a BBQ, Then went hooting around the hills and got it COVERED in mud! :D

Ferremit fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 30, 2009

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Welp, the bitchbucket left me stranded last night. So I guess today I'm trying to figure out if the fuel pump is toast like I think it is.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Cleaned and re-oiled the K&N filter
Installed the replacement overhead console to replace the one I hosed up
Popped in a piece of dash trim I'd thought I lost... but found under the seat.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough

Ferremit posted:

Took it to a BBQ, Then went hooting around the hills and got it COVERED in mud! :D

I am in love with that Hilux.

plans for the Jeep today:
change oil
rotate tires
wash mud off so I can see out of it

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

autophreak posted:

wash mud off so I can see out of it

Thats tomorrows job. or i'll just hope the dew tonight makes most of it fall off! :D

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Not working on my car but I am removing silly racing stripes off my friend's car. Very thin vinyl and tons of glue - not fun at all

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Sanded and rustproofed the rusty trunk/"firewall" shelf on my corvair.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Found all the things the collision center hosed up.

Did you know you could fix an exhaust leak by stripping out the factory flange, then putting a nut and bolt through the remains of the hole. Much easier then replacing the 1/2 of a gasket that is sitting on the other bolt.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Went crawling up some random trails that I found by scoping out my town's bypass and tested the new tires.

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

Looked like there was an abandoned house up there, so I didn't stay long. Also got watched by a cop coming back down. And photos cannot convey how steep that hill was, or how high. It was fun :D

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009
Yesterday: Removed underhood A/C components and chucked them, ground down and re-painted the rad supports and engine bay frame rails with semi-gloss rust paint. Ground down engine mount brackets, primed, painted them metallic black and clear-coated them.

Last night: De-taped, de-greased, and re-taped about 20 feet of main engine wiring harness. Cleaned and dried all the connectors, sanded down and re-painted all the metal mount brackets.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
-armor-all on the dash and console
-armor-all anti odor spray on seats and rugs
-ziptied the plastic underbody pieces that were hanging down so they stop flapping and scraping all the time

oh and DROVE THE PISS OUT OF IT for a little bit

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
This is on the VW camper.
Did a halfassed sanding job on the small rust holes I filled with some kind of house gap filler. I know, I know. But it's just a temporary measure to get it through a roadworthy.
I also painted the area with white epoxy enamel. It'll do for now.

Tried to start on the pushrod tube O rings, but realised I really need to put it up on ramps first. Normally I'd remove the heaterboxes too, but then I'd need to get new exhaust gaskets.
Not going to proceed right now anyway because I need to get some degreaser. I have a lot of mud / oil to clean off. Ferremit has nothing on how dirty the camper was after doing some engine testing to find a fault. But I guess most people don't do it in axle deep mud either. Figured I'd have some fun while I was doing it.
That mud was from late last year. Still finding more of it clogging everything up.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Money Walrus posted:

Yea, I've checked. Mine's a 92. The window is stuck rolled up, and the motor is dead (i've applied 12v to it with no success but a faint click), so I can't position the scissor arms in a correct position to get it out. It's not a hard job, it's just going to give me a headache, I'll probably have to remove the glass and hope not to cut my hand off doing it solo. Nice to know the fan is good.
Make sure you get the polarity right on the blower motor. If you are using the IPD kit, it comes with a big rubber boot that doesn't care which way you put it on. I spent about a week completely ripping apart my dash trying to figure out why my new blower motor was hardly pushing out any air.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Changed the oil and flushed the coolant in my Mazda 3. Hooray 60k maintenance interval!

I spent a bit this morning messing around with trying to get a floor jack under the car to put it up on jack stands for the oil bit. Eventually I gave up and picked up a set of ramps. That made life easier.

The oil filter housing came off pretty easily once I had the correct wrench. Only took me three tries to get the right one. First one was a piece of that did nothing. Second was the right size, but wrong number of notches or whatever. The third fit well, and only slipped a couple times before getting the thing to turn.

digger_smolkin
Feb 23, 2007

Any Problem Solved

Is A New Problem Made
Went to the awesome Pull-A-Part here and got a new used window regulator arm for my driver-side power window. Then, after two hours of cursing, dropping tools down into the door, and 'modifying' the door with a pair of tin snips so I could retrieve the dropped items, I figured out it was the motor. $49 @ O'Reilly and my window works yaaaaa.

Tomorrow: more stuff I hope.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I got roped into cleaning the house instead of working on my car, but I found enough time to fix a few more paint chips and wetsand/polish my headlight lenses to reduce that cheap old plastic haze. They're leaky and slightly hazed on the inside, but they look about 80% better than before and that's pretty good for a couple dollars and about 10 minutes work.

Started to peel the fugly blue and teal tape pinstripe off, left a horrific line of brown glue that rubbing alcohol only smeared. I'll have to pick up some goo gone and a plastic scraper.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I bought a 95 Jeep Cherokee to replace the Saturn coupe that got eaten by a red light runner last month. I've been discovering a number of stupid things done by the previous owner(s). For example, there was a baking tin jammed up under the transmission (acting as a skidpan, I can only assume).

I found a vacuum assembly that was loose in the engine bay, and managed to track it down to being the heater switch. Said heater switch was removed from the circuit of coolant hoses so that hot coolant was running through my dash at all times. Oh joy.

I gather up two of my Jeep buddies and we get cracking at some cooling system problems. And yesterday was spent on the cooling maintenance. It took a long time for the muddy, rusty, crappy water to run clean as a mountain stream. I replaced the thermostat as well, which turned out to only be a housing with no guts. Who the hell owned this thing before me?

Then we tackled the temperature gauge that never got a good reading. Since the temperature sending unit was the cheapest fix, we purchased another and found its location using the Haynes manual. Lucky for us, and a mind-boggling find, the sending unit had basically crumbled and the wire just dangling against the side of the block.

Replacing that gave me my first temperature gauge readout since I bought the truck.

After bypassing the heater core entirely, flushing the system twice, and replacing the thermostat and temperature sending unit, we got everything circulating properly. The AC runs a lot colder now, all the gauges work finally, and the Jeep runs quite a bit smoother, I think.

We also took about 2 hours to figure out how to adjust the belt using the bolts on the power steering pump. After some putzing around we managed to loosen the belt (which had been rock-tight and squealing like a shot pig). It still squeals when I have the AC on and am starting off from a stop, but under normal operation it's fine.

Hooray for farmers tans, drinking 4 gallons of water, and getting rained out for 2 hours in the afternoon.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 31, 2009

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I did some more painting, then worked on my rocker assembly. frustration ensused and I gave up. The previous day I charged up my friends battery (she left her lights on), and I noticed some duct tape in her engine compartment. I asked her about it and she had no idea. So yesterday I looked at her car when I got frustrated with mine.

I figure she took her car somewhere to get worked on, and they busted something, and used duct tape to "fix" it. I pop the hood, and very carefully start to peel back the tape. I start laughing my rear end off which attract my friend with a curious look on her face. I explain that some rear end in a top hat busted the intake hose right at the throttle body. Its busted all the way around with duct tape loosely wrapped around it (not doing anything useful).

I explain about unmetered air, and how that broken hose will make her car run poorly, and get horrible gas mileage, ...

I was able to take the 1/2" bit of hose off the TB, and cram the hose on it and clamp it down good. Its not ideal, but it should work ok.

She starts the car up, and says OH! that light went out. I say, what light, she says that check engine light that has been on for months. :ughh:

She tells me she has another problem, the passenger side door hinge is busted. So I look at it, compare both front doors, and I determine that its missing one bolt that holds the door hinge tensioner to the car. she say OH, well I guess we need to call the dealership or go to a junk yard. I say, well... we could, or we could just dig through my bucket of spare bolts/nuts. The very first bolt I pulled out fit perfectly.

within 1/2 hour, her car was all fixed up. I spend weeks and months working on my car, and her car is all fixed up with 1/2 hour of work :(

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I changed the rearmost exhaust hanger for the rear muffler, something I've been meaning to for months. It was held in place by a single cable tie, which worked surprisingly well, but...

Next, to rear end myself to change the oil.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Cleaned out the interior, took off the supercharger belt, and dropped it off at the body shop. Here's to hoping I get my truck back looking less like a red golf ball and in one piece, sooner than later. (comical amounts of hail damage being repaired)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I replaced the hood support struts (well, I did yesterday).

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

My V70's cruise control quit working last week, and I had a chance for a free diag hookup (my local indy shop bought a new computer for VIDA and wanted to test it). So we did, and it had thrown the "bad clutch position sensor signal" code.

I pulled the switch today and it was lightly coated in brake fluid. Looks like my clutch master cylinder is toast. I swapped it with a spare switch from my C70 tranny swap and the cruise works again though. FOR NOW.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

hippynerd posted:

I did some more painting, then worked on my rocker assembly. frustration ensused and I gave up. The previous day I charged up my friends battery (she left her lights on), and I noticed some duct tape in her engine compartment. I asked her about it and she had no idea. So yesterday I looked at her car when I got frustrated with mine.

I figure she took her car somewhere to get worked on, and they busted something, and used duct tape to "fix" it. I pop the hood, and very carefully start to peel back the tape. I start laughing my rear end off which attract my friend with a curious look on her face. I explain that some rear end in a top hat busted the intake hose right at the throttle body. Its busted all the way around with duct tape loosely wrapped around it (not doing anything useful).

I explain about unmetered air, and how that broken hose will make her car run poorly, and get horrible gas mileage, ...

I was able to take the 1/2" bit of hose off the TB, and cram the hose on it and clamp it down good. Its not ideal, but it should work ok.

She starts the car up, and says OH! that light went out. I say, what light, she says that check engine light that has been on for months. :ughh:

She tells me she has another problem, the passenger side door hinge is busted. So I look at it, compare both front doors, and I determine that its missing one bolt that holds the door hinge tensioner to the car. she say OH, well I guess we need to call the dealership or go to a junk yard. I say, well... we could, or we could just dig through my bucket of spare bolts/nuts. The very first bolt I pulled out fit perfectly.

within 1/2 hour, her car was all fixed up. I spend weeks and months working on my car, and her car is all fixed up with 1/2 hour of work :(

What kind of car does she have? The intake boot on my Camry ripped so I just duct taped it. I replaced it once with another used one and it happened again. It didn't happen because I tried to remove the boot, it's probably because of old engine mounts and old lovely rubber.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

What kind of car does she have? The intake boot on my Camry ripped so I just duct taped it. I replaced it once with another used one and it happened again. It didn't happen because I tried to remove the boot, it's probably because of old engine mounts and old lovely rubber.

96 camry

That duct tape didnt put itself on there, and she didnt either, and Im pretty sure it didnt come from the factory that way.

Does your car throw a CEL?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I did some test fitting for an install of an large oil cooler and tranny cooler so my srt8 doesnt have any overheating issues at the track. Im waiting for the big power steering cooler to come in before i pop the front fasica off and install all 3.

Im not looking forward to bumping my oil changes from 7qts of mobile 1 to 8qts :smith:

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
Plugs & Wires
Pulled, Stripped and primed my rusty bumper (surface rust)

Tommorow:
600 grit and shoot the now primed bumper.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
I started a teardown on an old 302 v-8 block for my just as old Mustang. Got everything except the crankshaft and cam off, so it's just about ready for getting checked over by the machine shop to see if it's usable.

verhulce
Mar 3, 2007
Bilstein HDs on all 4 corners.

Poly links and frame mount bushings on the front bar.

Plugs and oil change.

2 new tires.

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.
I washed it then debated with myself over which parts to get next.

ThwartedEfforts
Aug 20, 2002

1991 Citroën XM.

Took the dashboard apart in order to replace the factory installed lamps, all of which were blackened and blown. Forgot how much I hate cars designed in that awful period in the late 80s and early 90s where complexity was king and the designers went out of their way to discourage customers repairing any of it themselves.

Broke several lugs and - somehow - the loving tachometer in the process, meaning the interior is now filled with an orchestra of plastic squeaking when I drive it at unknown engine speeds. Kill me.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Last week I did my brakes, Sunday I started on the bad one (rear drivers side) and found out VW hates anyone who attempts to repair their own car. I waited until last thursday for a special socket so I could remove the rear caliper bracket and change my rotor, then had to go to a few autozones to get the caliper rewind tool because the first few didn't even know that they rented tools.

Today I washed terradactyl crap off my window, I cant think of anything else that could have poo poo that much on my car.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
Changed the oil and filter on my wife's Camry. Washed, polished, waxed, and cleaned the inside of my Civic Si.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oil and filter on an I5 Eurovan. The skid plate was most of the hard labour; eventually we bodged together a lever system with some spare pieces of 2x4 to hold it in place while we bolted it back to the frame.

Was going to install an Equus tachometer from Canadian Tire (no OEM one) but we couldn't find the tach sensor and the tach didn't come with the inductive ignition wire clamp that the manual stated it had. Returning it tonight.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Aren't you supposed to yell at me and call me "HOPE" and motivate me over this wall?
Someone pushed in my front vent window on the passager side and broke the epoxy on both the hinge and the latch. loving hell. But, Now I'm repairing both side with some rearview mirror repair kit. Goddamn teenagers, git off mah lawn!

I'll edit in 15 to see if it set correctly.

Also, I will tackle my dash replacement. And... yeah, that's all I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivegotafaceforradio
May 21, 2009
I learned how to change the oil and sparkplugs in my Sonata.

Also, I paid a man to change out all four rotors and sets of brake pads.

Labor charge? Two 30-packs of Natural Light.

gently caress yes.