Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

ElProducto posted:

His problem is that the battery is still only charging to 50% and he can't change it because the software won't start or reinstall.

At this point I think your best choice is to reinstall windows. It doesn't take that long, and at this point it's probably the only way.

I tried reinstalling the Sony software and it never came up with the errors it was last attempt. Was able to reset the battery and am fully charging it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Does anyone ever lose the taskbar when the computer wakes up? The only way for me to bring it back it seems, is to restart, but it's pain in the rear end so I spend a ton of time just win+tabbing my way through life.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Jewmanji posted:

Does anyone ever lose the taskbar when the computer wakes up? The only way for me to bring it back it seems, is to restart, but it's pain in the rear end so I spend a ton of time just win+tabbing my way through life.

No idea why that happens, but you should be able to restore it without a reboot by opening task manager and killing any explorer.exe processes and then starting a fresh one.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet
Is there a free antivirus that works with windows 7 RC?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Jewmanji posted:

How did you get your desktop to look like that?

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Deadpan Science posted:

Yes. :P

Just don't choose AVG.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

xamphear posted:

No idea why that happens, but you should be able to restore it without a reboot by opening task manager and killing any explorer.exe processes and then starting a fresh one.

To the rescue! Thanks so much.

Hamelin posted:

How did you get your desktop to look like that?

Check the XP beautification thread for some sweet RocketDock and Rainmeter configs.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2557655

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 31, 2009

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Deadpan Science posted:

Avira works very well.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

No idea, but are those just custom icons? That looks boss.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
For the life of me I can't get my OSX 10.5.7 laptop able to see my Windows 7 7100 build shared folders and files. I did the whole Change the setting from "Send NTMLv2 response only" to "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session if negotiated" thing as well. Not seeing any options in Avast which would need to be changed either. Anyone have any extra tips, or is there something I'm missing? I had this workin' in Vista pretty easily.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Lamech posted:

For the life of me I can't get my OSX 10.5.7 laptop able to see my Windows 7 7100 build shared folders and files. I did the whole Change the setting from "Send NTMLv2 response only" to "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session if negotiated" thing as well. Not seeing any options in Avast which would need to be changed either. Anyone have any extra tips, or is there something I'm missing? I had this workin' in Vista pretty easily.

I've got 10.5.6 and not had any issues. Have you tried manually connecting to the name/ip (cmd-k then smb://ip in the dialog)? Good step in telling if it's just not finding it via announce or if it's actively unable to connect.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Zuffox posted:

Just don't choose AVG.

What's wrong with AVG? I just went and got the free version I've been using with Vista.

I want my quicklaunch bar, or something akin to that. How do I make it come baaaaaack

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What's wrong with AVG? I just went and got the free version I've been using with Vista.

I want my quicklaunch bar, or something akin to that. How do I make it come baaaaaack

Pin things

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

c0burn posted:

Pin things

Yeah, but then everything...moves. If my bar is 2 levels, can I make poo poo thats opened drop down to the lower level?

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

Casao posted:

I've got 10.5.6 and not had any issues. Have you tried manually connecting to the name/ip (cmd-k then smb://ip in the dialog)? Good step in telling if it's just not finding it via announce or if it's actively unable to connect.

Yeah thanks! I can get it to connect like that, but is there any easy way to make all my folders appear in the Network window of Finder?

edit: ok forget that, now they're popping up. Thanks again!

Lamech fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 31, 2009

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Zuffox posted:

Just don't choose AVG.

Why is this? I used it for a few years, and only switched to Avira just recently because someone else in the thread mentioned it (and not to use AVG, but again without any reason) and I figured I'd check it out since I haven't. I didn't have any problems with AVG, but after only a few days with Avira, I've had two pop-ups wanting me to upgrade, which are pretty annoying.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I'm using my TV as my second monitor, to watch videos on, and when I turn my TV off, Windows seems to forget it exists. This wouldn't be that bad if it would detect it again when I turned it back on, but it doesn't. Any idea how I can force Windows to keep my TV on, even when it isn't ?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've been running 7100 on my laptop for a few days now. Every time I leave for at least 4 or more hours to go do something, when I come back, my fan is on full blast. All that's running in the background is uTorrent, Pidgin, and some browsers -- the same apps as when I left, except the fan wasn't goign crazy when I left. Any ideas?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been running 7100 on my laptop for a few days now. Every time I leave for at least 4 or more hours to go do something, when I come back, my fan is on full blast. All that's running in the background is uTorrent, Pidgin, and some browsers -- the same apps as when I left, except the fan wasn't goign crazy when I left. Any ideas?

Could be indexing or defragging. That stuff will typically run automatically in the background while the system is idle.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

hooah posted:

Why is this? I used it for a few years, and only switched to Avira just recently because someone else in the thread mentioned it (and not to use AVG, but again without any reason) and I figured I'd check it out since I haven't. I didn't have any problems with AVG, but after only a few days with Avira, I've had two pop-ups wanting me to upgrade, which are pretty annoying.

AVG is slowing down Windows 7 a lot at the moment.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

The Wonder Weapon posted:

If you absolutely must: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/888-quick-launch-enable-disable.html

But seriously, I used to love my quicklaunch bar to no end, and I find the Windows 7 interface to be superior by leaps and bounds.

man thats gross fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 31, 2009

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Casao posted:

AVG is slowing down Windows 7 a lot at the moment.

Huh. I didn't even notice, but that's good to know.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Scroll down to "windows explorer".

There, the four people who actually give a gently caress can stop complaining about not being able to double-click a dot to go up a level.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Got up and running on my C2D E8400 OC'd to 3.4Ghz, 2GB RAM and OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD.

Here are some different HD benchmarks within Win7:

Click here for the full 642x545 image.

Click here for the full 896x699 image.

Click here for the full 610x699 image.

These were done before I got a chance to turn off Indexing / Searching and such. Really having tweaked the OS yet nor checked if I need to update any drivers outside of Nvidia. I am assuming the stuff that install picked is working fine.

Network
Sep 17, 2008

routenull0 posted:

:words:
Other than indexing like what routenu said, what are some other things I should disable after installing windows 7? to increase performance of course.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
If you're going to turn off indexing and stuff please don't bore us with the details.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Network posted:

Other than indexing like what routenu said, what are some other things I should disable after installing windows 7? to increase performance of course.

You shouldn't turn off anything since it's just going to DECREASE performance in everything that isn't a benchmark.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

man thats gross posted:

No idea, but are those just custom icons? That looks boss.

Aha! I think I figured it out! Custom text icons + this little trick!

I think I'm going to try something similar when I get home.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Network posted:

The thing you have to understand is that, except for meaningless dick waving benchmarks, disabling these features does NOT improve your performance - it will decrease real world performance.

They are all set to disable on battery and run with low priority/only when idle, so you're not getting any performance hit outside of maybe half a second if you come back mid-defrag and it takes a second to finish the chunk it's on and stop. It will keep your system in better shape and give you better results.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

uXs posted:

I'm using my TV as my second monitor, to watch videos on, and when I turn my TV off, Windows seems to forget it exists. This wouldn't be that bad if it would detect it again when I turned it back on, but it doesn't. Any idea how I can force Windows to keep my TV on, even when it isn't ?

To answer my own question, this is most likely the fault of TMM, which does automatic detection of when monitors are turned on and off, but which apparently doesn't do it very well.

Not going to put a link to how to turn it off because it's easy enough to find and the procedure will probably outdated rather quickly.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

man thats gross posted:

If you absolutely must: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/888-quick-launch-enable-disable.html

But seriously, I used to love my quicklaunch bar to no end, and I find the Windows 7 interface to be superior by leaps and bounds.

Alright. I'm going to try not to fight windows, and just check try the new features they put in.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Hrm how much room is it supposed to take up? I read that the recommended partition size was 16gb or so so I gave it 30 because I like to install applications that wouldn't survive a format anyway in the same partition as windows and keep my storage drives free for other stuff. XP had 20 gigs free of its 30GB partition with all sorts of applications installed. I installed Firefox and my IM client and such in 7 and it's already up to 23GB used, yikes. And system restore claims it's only using 180MB of that?

I'm pretty happy so far though. I only used Vista on a laptop that really really really should not have come with Vista (1GB of RAM does not a good Vista experience make...) so even the Vista features are new and shiny to me. The amusing part is that things which didn't work in XP64 are working fine in 7... it's sad that RC software has better compatibility than XP64.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
Anyone having problems with scrolling with the scroll wheel? It seems like my scroll wheel is too sensetive and a lot of times when scrolling down it will scroll back up a tiny bit at the end as my finger readjusts and slightly moves the wheel in the process.

Network
Sep 17, 2008
Does anyone know how I can change the windows logo on the bottom left of the taskbar? It's annoying when I have a white taskbar and white background, yet there is this little bugger that stands out from everything.

edit: i meant change instead of remove, woops.

Network fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 1, 2009

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Network posted:

Does anyone know how I can remove the windows logo on the bottom left of the taskbar? It's annoying when I have a white taskbar and white background, yet there is this little bugger that stands out from everything.

...You mean the start button?

Network
Sep 17, 2008

Unexpected EOF posted:

...You mean the start button?
Yes, that's what I meant, there are some desktop screen shots where people have replaced the start button with something different, like an all white one, there was one that was just a slash, etc.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

I've got a weird bug that I've been trying to run down this weekend. It seems that my new 1 TB Western Digital hard drive will disconnect itself whenever Windows goes into sleep mode. At first I thought it was just because it was SATA, but you'd think that all SATA devices would disconnect if that were the problem. With 2 SATA HDDs and 2 SATA optical drives, only the WD shuts off when I wake the computer. Has any one else had a similar issue with 7? A quick google revealed only folks complaining about the power options shutting off idle drives, not what I am experiencing.

Of course, the band-aid fix is just to not put the computer in sleep mode. Other than that weird problem, this may be the most stable OS I've ever used.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

General Hawk posted:

I've got a weird bug that I've been trying to run down this weekend. It seems that my new 1 TB Western Digital hard drive will disconnect itself whenever Windows goes into sleep mode. At first I thought it was just because it was SATA, but you'd think that all SATA devices would disconnect if that were the problem. With 2 SATA HDDs and 2 SATA optical drives, only the WD shuts off when I wake the computer. Has any one else had a similar issue with 7? A quick google revealed only folks complaining about the power options shutting off idle drives, not what I am experiencing.

Of course, the band-aid fix is just to not put the computer in sleep mode. Other than that weird problem, this may be the most stable OS I've ever used.

I know my WD eSATA drive likes to randomly disconnect on me. I've been in the middle of doing stuff and it's just left.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

man thats gross posted:

Aha! I think I figured it out! Custom text icons + this little trick!

I think I'm going to try something similar when I get home.

No no, just check out Rainmeter and RocketDock. There's tons of info about them in the XP beautification thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Network posted:

I checked the internet, and apparently to boost performance you should:
1. Disable all visual features
2. Disable UAC
3. Disable System Restore
4. Disable some random services with no explanation of why