Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
So a friend just won a hummer on ebay.

He used "Buy it Now" to grab it.

Looks nice, legit seller/dealership...

Every auction is a contract right?

:ughh:

The dealership immediately realized their cock up. Their entire online inventory had the decimal place off by a few positions. They had a Phantom for $172.00, and various other cars in the $50-250.00 price range.

Obvious mistake, but my friend may be bored enough to litigate it [he already owns 6 H1's and various other cars]. He's laughing it off, but I seem to recall cases where Dealers weren't let off the hook as easily in cases like this.

There was that M3 last year but that was over $60,000 vs $67,000 where the dealer actually came around and sold it at their loss.But in that case it wasn't as extreme as this.

It's a good laugh either way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180363206375

Update

The dealership claimed the auction was invalid, and wanted to cancel it after the bid.

Ebay posted:

May-30-09 at 12:14:15 PDT

This case is closed. The buyer has declined the seller's request to cancel this transaction.

Ebay told the dealership tough luck, it's out of their hands.

Friend is now deciding whatever or not he has a case, half the guys on the hummer forums are telling him to go for it if he has the spare money. Worse case he's out a few hundred or a thousand for initial lawyer consultation and a letter.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

slidebite posted:

One more:

Good loving thing this is 7 hours away and he's asking too much for an impluse purchase or else I'd be on the bike riding up there now.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1975-Bricklin-W0QQAdIdZ123840827

Goes to show what they know. The doors on all Bricklins are air powered from the factory.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

slidebite posted:

One more:

Good loving thing this is 7 hours away and he's asking too much for an impluse purchase or else I'd be on the bike riding up there now.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1975-Bricklin-W0QQAdIdZ123840827

Holy poo poo, I'm surprised 17,000 is high for these actually, I always assumed they were worth something.

If your buddy wins that H1 its going to be some funny poo poo, I'd drop the initial 5 grand or whatever on lawyer bullshit if it meant I could turn around and flip the thing for 40 grand.

Pretty Little Rainbow fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 30, 2009

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

metaxus posted:

Goes to show what they know. The doors on all Bricklins are air powered from the factory.

Weren't the factory doors guaranteed to gently caress up though right from the get-go? Maybe that's what he means by conversion - in other words, "fixed"

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

If your buddy wins that H1 its going to be some funny poo poo, I'd drop the initial 5 grand or whatever on lawyer bullshit if it meant I could turn around and flip the thing for 40 grand.

A few paralegals on one of the hummer forums piped in with similar cases (one in Florida).

http://www.justnews.com/news/19501492/detail.html
http://www.autospies.com/news/Ebay-BMW-M3-Winner-Gets-Lawyered-Up-The-Soap-Opera-Continues-27994/

In all cases the dealers say "We're not selling it, sue us" and that's what happens, followed by a settlement.I think it's a crap shoot because there isn't that much in terms of damage (lawsuit wise) but I'll see what happens with him...

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 31, 2009

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BigKOfJustice posted:

A few paralegals on one of the hummer forums piped in with similar cases (one in Florida).

http://www.justnews.com/news/19501492/detail.html
http://www.autospies.com/news/Ebay-BMW-M3-Winner-Gets-Lawyered-Up-The-Soap-Opera-Continues-27994/

In all cases the dealers say "We're not selling it, sue us" and that's what happens, followed by a settlement.I think it's a crap shoot because there isn't that much in terms of damage (lawsuit wise) but I'll see what happens with him...
A Ferrari dealership will probably have enough cash to get a good lawyer, but I'd love to see this go to court anyway.

slidebite posted:

One more:

That looks like a cross between a DeLorean and a Pantera. Pretty badass car, I've never even heard of it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm surprised 17,000 is high for these actually, I always assumed they were worth something.

Usually when you sue someone you can stipulate that they pay your legal fees if you win. It's kind of a gamble, but I think he's actually got a decent case if he decides to go for it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You want a badass car, here is a badass car:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981...A1%7C240%3A1318

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

BY THE GODS! :flashfap:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

The hell is this? Some piece of the radio?

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Throatwarbler posted:

It's an audio equalizer, if my eyes do not deceive me. Allows for adjusting the volume of ranges of certain frequencies beyond "hi, med and low." So yes, it is part of the stereo system. It appears it has a master volume toggle as well.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That is the manifold pressure warning system for speaker coils.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Throatwarbler posted:

hahaha an equalizer with analog needles

And yea an equalizer is for turning up the bass and trble so you can roll down the street with nothin but boom boom and tsst tsst playin some chopped and screwed three six wit cha homies

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

RealKyleH posted:

hahaha an equalizer with analog needles

And yea an equalizer is for turning up the bass and trble so you can roll down the street with nothin but boom boom and tsst tsst playin some chopped and screwed three six wit cha homies

:psyduck: I wish this weren't true. There used to be a time when adjusting the volume of certain frequencies was done more to eliminate distortion and not ruin your speakers as opposed to cranking the base so you can't here what's being played and needing to re-cone every single one of your speakers!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK, not a car but still AI.

I'd be all over this if MY WIFE wouldn't kill me.
http://lethbridge.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-video-games-consoles-Daytona-USA-W0QQAdIdZ129470245

quote:

Daytona USA
Price: $1,000.00

This is a checkpoint-style racing game, featuring realistic physics and multi-player action. It features three different racing tracks, multiple player views (4), and numerous "secrets". It is a superb racer that will be the benchmark for many years to come

One side works, other needs some minor electrical repairs. Stored in an industrial warehouse. Ask for more details or to come and view. Buyer must be willing to pick-up.

Price is negotiable!
2 up Daytona USA for $1K (or less?) Man. If only.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

slidebite posted:

OK, not a car but still AI.

I'd be all over this if MY WIFE wouldn't kill me.
http://lethbridge.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-video-games-consoles-Daytona-USA-W0QQAdIdZ129470245

2 up Daytona USA for $1K (or less?) Man. If only.

I wonder what other boards are compatible...you could be looking at 2 up Sega Rally, Out Run, and whatever else for a couple hundred more.

Did you ask the wife?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

VideoTapir posted:

Did you ask the wife?

Nah, deep down I know I don't have room for it anyhow. Those things are huge.

ALTHOUGH, I might have room at the office. And the guys would love me.:c00l:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
:sigh:

Click here for the full 631x745 image.

An "all-original" automatic 300ZX twin-turbo with a horrendous bodykit, beat up paint and lambo doors for only the price of a used Audi A4? The seller's primary concern is with aesthetic and comfort problems of the car? Sign me the gently caress up!

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Seat Safety Switch posted:

:sigh:

Click here for the full 631x745 image.

An "all-original" automatic 300ZX twin-turbo with a horrendous bodykit, beat up paint and lambo doors for only the price of a used Audi A4? The seller's primary concern is with aesthetic and comfort problems of the car? Sign me the gently caress up!

Ahaha, this guy seriously wants 18,000 for that? Considering it took me approximately 2 minutes to find a 1990 auto Twin Turbo with 50,000 km for 6,000 dollars....you get the point.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigKOfJustice posted:

Obvious mistake, but my friend may be bored enough to litigate it [he already owns 6 H1's and various other cars]. He's laughing it off, but I seem to recall cases where Dealers weren't let off the hook as easily in cases like this.
In a mistake in contract, a party who realizes the error at the expense of another party loses. In this case the error is so obvious that they won't need the admission. Unless there is a weird consumer protection statute in that state that i doubt exists, the dealer wins.

In the two cited cases, an unsophisticated buyer (a reasonable buyer, perhaps) might not realize that $200k+ for a Lamborghini or $60k for a BMW M3 was too little. In this case, any person would realize that wasn't a $54.90 car. (And auctions and straight sales like buy it now are different, but i don't know enough about sales law to know if it matters here).

He should go talk to a lawyer (civil law is not my forte), but he should expect disappointment.

nm fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 1, 2009

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

nm posted:

In the two cited cases, an unsophisticated buyer (a reasonable buyer, perhaps) might not realize that $200k+ for a Lamborghini or $60k for a BMW M3 was too little. In this case, any person would realize that wasn't a $54.90 car. (And auctions and straight sales like buy it now are different, but i don't know enough about sales law to know if it matters here).

He should go talk to a lawyer (civil law is not my forte), but he should expect disappointment.

A lawyer on another forum pointed out that E-bay auctions are not usually legally binding for real estate and vehicles due to different state laws. He did mention that Florida had no laws that would prevent this from being a binding contract so it's a crapshoot.

The guy has a large car collection, I don't think hes going to burn time and money to try to get another h1.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 1, 2009

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

nm posted:

In the two cited cases, an unsophisticated buyer (a reasonable buyer, perhaps) might not realize that $200k+ for a Lamborghini or $60k for a BMW M3 was too little.

Frankly the $60k M3 case was a lot murkier. You can get a *new* one from BMW for $60k now.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Doctor Zero posted:

Usually when you sue someone you can stipulate that they pay your legal fees if you win. It's kind of a gamble, but I think he's actually got a decent case if he decides to go for it.

I am not sure what case he has. In both of those other cases if was a few percentage points off of the expected price. Not 99.99% off. A court will almost always favor the defendant in the case off accidental error with no malicious intent.

If the dealership was doing this to get press and then backed out of the deal, that would be one thing, but this is clearly a human error. Wasting peoples time and feeding lawyers is a pretty poo poo-bag thing to do. All that will happen is he, a bored millionaire, will waste the time and money of a small business. It must be inherited, I cannot imagine the kind of mentality that causes someone to do this instead of something productive or at least donating the money to a charity.

This sort of horsehit nonsense is the reason we have 50 page contracts and dubious binding arbitration. Whatever happened to simply treating business relationship with respect?

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 1, 2009

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

VideoTapir posted:

You want a badass car, here is a badass car: M1

Something better off on the DuPont registry.

All things considered, if I was a billionaire auto geek, with a big checkered basement to stuff a few bits of 80's german automotive history...
Yeah, I'd put this one next to the Porsche 959. :hawaaaafap:

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

BigKOfJustice posted:

A lawyer on another forum pointed out that E-bay auctions are not usually legally binding for real estate and vehicles due to different state laws. He did mention that Florida had no laws that would prevent this from being a binding contract so it's a crapshoot.

The guy has a large car collection, I don't think hes going to burn time and money to try to get another h1.

It's not a binding contract because there was no intent. The 'reasonable person' standard is applied, and no reasonable person would believe that a dealership is willing to sell a Hummer for $50.

The case-on-point is the dude who tried to buy a Harrier with Pepsi points; the court ruled that no reasonable person would believe that Pepsi would sell a $20million+ aircraft for $700,000.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hey cool an Evo 4 for just 10 grand!!
:ughh:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/Lancer/auction-222143522.htm

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

vs Dinosaurs posted:

That VW bus is pretty drat clean looking. Not worth 15k, but still.

And on a craigslisty note, about two months ago an illegal immigrant and his mother went to go buy a car for $300 from craigslist in the next city over. Just so you know, the "city" is known for its absolute trashyness and meth addiction. (Springfield Oregon)

Anyway, so the son and mother get to the motel that the guy tells them to meet him at, and after they pull out the money, the other guy and his buddy pull out some hammers and start attacking the son. Luckily the guy lived, but what the gently caress?

I didnt hear about that one... thats pretty messed up.
I always call it "sprungeld" but "springtucky" is more common. I know someone that calls it "meth and potholes springfield".

I wonder if its the same assholes that are kidnapping women and robbing them. there have been a few the last few weeks.

Man In The Boat
Jan 2, 2006
Let's get down to brass tacks
Is this too good to be true? I know poo poo-all about classic car prices.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1201824795.html
https://wi.somethingawful.com/08/0876a62c1477b6e0e3118c4b066f22ca615d9ea7.jpg

I'll try to fix this if it breaks tables
EDIT: What am I doing wrong? Here's a link to waffleimages.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
Fast turbo Eclipse!

More pictures in the actual ad:
http://fayar.craigslist.org/cto/1195387187.html

Click here for the full 1327x766 image.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Tai-Pan posted:

This sort of horsehit nonsense is the reason we have 50 page contracts and dubious binding arbitration. Whatever happened to simply treating business relationship with respect?

It's not going anywhere, the guy could just out of boredom.He's not. But the point was made what would the Ferrari dealer do if the buyer overbid on an auction by a gross amount due to an error?

Either way, I'd double check the prices of any ads I put online, but hey that's just me :)

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

BigKOfJustice posted:

But the point was made what would the Ferrari dealer do if the buyer overbid on an auction by a gross amount due to an error?

Nothing? Can you imagine a ferrari dealer suing someone for 2 million when the bid should have been 200k? Ya, me neither.

BigKOfJustice posted:

Either way, I'd double check the prices of any ads I put online, but hey that's just me :)

Well, that seems reasonable. Perhaps should apply to be their marketing manager? Clearly the current guy is on shaky ground.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Man In The Boat posted:

Wow. Buy that fucker*.

*unless the frame is rusted out.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Not thinking it deserves its own thread, and not knowing where else to mention this:

Someone is selling a 1981 Volvo Bertone Coupe for 2 grand a couple blocks from me in Tucson. Paint (metallic brown) is shot (it's Arizona) but when I was riding by it looked halfway decent otherwise (it's Arizona). Anyone interested enough that I should go get pics of it?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

This one makes my brain hurt- how does someone so [seemingly] honest and intelligent drop $8k tarting up an Accent? It's like some bizarro ricer world where they can actually communicate.

http://binghamton.craigslist.org/cto/1178929613.html

Edit: gently caress YEAH

http://elmira.craigslist.org/cto/1179005780.html

glyph fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 4, 2009

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Why the long face, dodge viper?

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

-Spiffy- posted:

It had to concede defeat to a speed-bump.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

-Spiffy- posted:

It's modeled off Jay Leno's chin

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

-Spiffy- posted:

It's a horse.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
It feels it doesn't have enough dials on its dashboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Man In The Boat posted:

Not a bad price for a '66 Fleetwood. Sadly, earlier and later models pull a bit more. '68 had a bigger motor, and '63 and older had better fins! Still, go for it. It'd make me and my '66 DeVille happy =)