Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Things from the last couple pages:

1) For virtual drives, I'm using Alcohol 52% and it works great and is free.

2) I have an X-Fi gamer and it works fine, I'm using the beta drivers and I haven't tried out Alchemy, but in this day and age I think that EAX is falling by the wayside. I am hanging onto the card because it has a lower noise floor than my motherboard sound and I hate that drat buzzing noise. One thing that's mildly annoying is that I have to turn down the volume to like 20%, it's loud as hell and set to max by default.

3) My Fallout 3 is running fine... what kind of video card are you using, drivers, etc.?

Oh and also, I was pleasantly surprised to see Mass Effect would launch from Steam after Steam warning me it would not under Vista. To the other dude having trouble with this, apparently the fix is to launch it from its own icon, although presumably one could disable UAC as well?

Anyway, W7 is pretty awesome so far, it's nice to finally leave XP behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

NES Dog Bone posted:

Woah how can I get a clock like that?

Xanin posted:

I too need this clock! How do you get it?

Rainmeter + 10-Foot HUD (direct link).

Edited for update URL. The 64-Bit installer is on that page.

man thats gross fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 2, 2009

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
I love it except for the lack of video drivers for my crappy Intel 915.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
Speaking of video drivers, for two days in a row, I've rebooted and found that I am in non-Aero mode because my display doesn't support Aero. I have a 9600M with the newest driver, and it worked just fine 2 days ago. I'm gonna have to do a clean install if this keeps up. I'm not gonna do a system restore everyday.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

CombatMedic posted:

Speaking of video drivers, for two days in a row, I've rebooted and found that I am in non-Aero mode because my display doesn't support Aero. I have a 9600M with the newest driver, and it worked just fine 2 days ago. I'm gonna have to do a clean install if this keeps up. I'm not gonna do a system restore everyday.

Force it to re-check the windows performance whatever rating and maybe it will kick back over.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Force it to re-check the windows performance whatever rating and maybe it will kick back over.

Just tried this. It rated my graphics performace as a 1.0

Seriously, what the hell.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

CombatMedic posted:

Just tried this. It rated my graphics performace as a 1.0

Seriously, what the hell.

Isn't the 9600M some kind of goofy two stage solution? Maybe it's only picking up the lovely power saving component.

cadmium
Feb 16, 2002

Just 'aving a laff...

CombatMedic posted:

I've just started experiencing this too with my 9600GT X2 and dual monitors.

Everything was fine for weeks, but now when I reboot one monitor will work with Aero, the other will be black but the cursor will show up. Then I'll loose Aero.

Sometimes it Aero will come back with both monitors working, sometimes it stays dead with one monitor.

Going to try reinstalling the drivers tonight, but it's pretty annoying.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Wall Street Journal is reporting that 7 will be released October 22nd.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090602-711873.html

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Quick question, is there any free software compatible with Win7 that will create an image of my hard drive for me? I've been having occasional disk read errors and I've been unable to determine which of my hard drives is the cause. I reinstalled on this current one after removing the other, but in case the problem persists, I want to be able to quickly load the image onto the other drive so I don't have to spend time getting all my programs back and configuring everything again.

And actually, I've got another question about this. When I first installed the RC, I formatted both of my hard drives (I'll call them A and B for reference) via the Windows 7 disc, and installed to hard drive A. I didn't even map hard drive B, but I was still getting occasional disk read errors. To make sure hard drive A was the one causing the problem, I removed hard drive B. When I turned the computer on again, I immediately had an "Error loading OS." What could have caused this? Is there some problem with swapping hard drives under Win7, or was it just a hardware problem?

Other than that, I'm loving this thing so much. Installation was incredibly fast, didn't take me too long to get back into a usable state (most of my programs/settings back to normal), etc. Much less of a hassle than the hours it took XP to install.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Relambrien posted:

Quick question, is there any free software compatible with Win7 that will create an image of my hard drive for me? I've been having occasional disk read errors and I've been unable to determine which of my hard drives is the cause. I reinstalled on this current one after removing the other, but in case the problem persists, I want to be able to quickly load the image onto the other drive so I don't have to spend time getting all my programs back and configuring everything again.

And actually, I've got another question about this. When I first installed the RC, I formatted both of my hard drives (I'll call them A and B for reference) via the Windows 7 disc, and installed to hard drive A. I didn't even map hard drive B, but I was still getting occasional disk read errors. To make sure hard drive A was the one causing the problem, I removed hard drive B. When I turned the computer on again, I immediately had an "Error loading OS." What could have caused this? Is there some problem with swapping hard drives under Win7, or was it just a hardware problem?

Other than that, I'm loving this thing so much. Installation was incredibly fast, didn't take me too long to get back into a usable state (most of my programs/settings back to normal), etc. Much less of a hassle than the hours it took XP to install.

DriveImage XML http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

So i just installed a new copy of Win7. My previous Win7 was an upgrade from Vista, which led to nothing but problems. You'd think that almost 15 years after Win95, MS would have figured out how to make an Upgrade process that didn't gently caress up constantly, but apparently not.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
Kind of a random question but has anyone gotten the Win 7 RC to work on a Mac(book) and in a VM on a Mac? I am using Parallels if that matters.

x66Shadow66x
Aug 27, 2004

Don't worry, I'm fine. Charlie's fine by the way.

Phillyt posted:

Kind of a random question but has anyone gotten the Win 7 RC to work on a Mac(book) and in a VM on a Mac? I am using Parallels if that matters.

Yea. It works in Parallels with no problems at all so far. What's the issue you're having? Or are you just asking?

rhuagh
Apr 27, 2008

Xanin posted:

Speaking of which, is it possible to wipe an entire drive (all 4 partitions in this case) when installing W7? I know you can do it with XP but not sure with W7.

Yep, you've got to boot from the dvd to install. Choose custom and when it asks you what partition to install it on click drive options. It lets you delete/format/create partitions in there.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

x66Shadow66x posted:

Yea. It works in Parallels with no problems at all so far. What's the issue you're having? Or are you just asking?

I am just asking before I set up to have potentially saved myself a headache. Thanks though. I'll get it set up this weekend.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

NIGARS posted:

I'm loving Windows 7 so far but hardware support is irritating me. I have two nice sound cards at my disposal, an X-Fi XtremeGamer and a Chaintech AV-710 and both of them are buggy and crashy, halving frame rates in games with their huge CPU usage. I'll give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt with the X-Fi seeing I'm using an nForce4 chipset which is known to have issues with it, but there's no reason for the Chaintech card to not work. Neither the Windows Update drivers or the latest Via Vinyl Vista-64 drivers are much good. I'm going to have to stick a lovely old CMedia card in there next and if that doesn't work I loving give up. I refuse to use motherboard sound.

Both of these cards work fabulously in Linux.

Not sure if this will help, but I have a Chaintech AV-710 and I am using the Via Vinyl Vista-64 drivers. The actual installation program that it comes with that installs the Envy audio manager or whatever doesn't work, but I was able to install only the drivers for the card by just pointing it to the folder with all the files included in the archive when it was doing the add hardware wizard.

I haven't played any games so I don't know if you've already done this and it still fucks your framerates.

edit: nevermind I re-read your post and it sounds like you can install them, it just doesn't play nice. Sorry :(

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
This is not quite related, but I don't know where else to ask: is there a program for XP that does the same thing as dragging a window to the side of the screen in 7? That was one of my favorite features before I bought a widescreen monitor, since that purchase it has become a necessity. If there isn't such a program, I'll just upgrade, but I'd like to avoid that until it actually comes out if possible.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Moogs posted:

This is not quite related, but I don't know where else to ask: is there a program for XP that does the same thing as dragging a window to the side of the screen in 7? That was one of my favorite features before I bought a widescreen monitor, since that purchase it has become a necessity. If there isn't such a program, I'll just upgrade, but I'd like to avoid that until it actually comes out if possible.

http://tinyurl.com/qndnvo

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

xamphear posted:

http://tinyurl.com/qndnvo

Sweet. Didn't know what it was called, thanks.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dogen posted:

3) My Fallout 3 is running fine... what kind of video card are you using, drivers, etc.?

8800 GTS with latest Nvidia drivers, latest sound card drivers from Realtek as well for the onboard sound.

Are you signing into GFWL when you do? I wonder if that is somehow related.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Stupid newbie question of the day. Can I run things pinned to the taskbar as Administrator? I had the launcher for WoW pinned there but in order to actually patch through it I had to go fish it out of the folder to run as Admin. I couldn't find a way to run as admin off the pin, or pin it as an admin icon... but that doesn't mean I'm not just :downs:

[edit] I knew if I posted this I would figure it out immediately! Right click on the menu you get AFTER right clicking the first time, and the admin action is available. This has been your :downs: moment of the day. enjoy.

Tagra fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 2, 2009

Dogen
May 5, 2002

CitizenKain posted:

8800 GTS with latest Nvidia drivers, latest sound card drivers from Realtek as well for the onboard sound.

Are you signing into GFWL when you do? I wonder if that is somehow related.

No, I'm not. I know going the opposite way (GFWL->XBL) can cause some craziness on the 360, so maybe there is some kind of reverse of this process... assuming you have a 360 and XBL, of course.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Tagra posted:

Stupid newbie question of the day. Can I run things pinned to the taskbar as Administrator? I had the launcher for WoW pinned there but in order to actually patch through it I had to go fish it out of the folder to run as Admin. I couldn't find a way to run as admin off the pin, or pin it as an admin icon... but that doesn't mean I'm not just :downs:

[edit] I knew if I posted this I would figure it out immediately! Right click on the menu you get AFTER right clicking the first time, and the admin action is available. This has been your :downs: moment of the day. enjoy.

Or, press ctrl+shift and click on the icon. :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

May I just say:

gently caress PUNKBUSTER

Screw you bastards and you "we will not support Win 7 till RTM" bullshit. No COD 4 for me :(

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008
Sorry if this has been asked before. I have a laptop on which I installed the RC on, upgrading from Vista Ultimate. No problems so far, I've been enjoying it.

My parents had my cousin install Windows 7 Build 7057 on their computer a while back. I figured since I was home for break and the RC was out, I'd install that for them since it's bound to be a little bit more stable, plus it can be activated (they didn't have a key for the other one). I booted from the disk that I used for my laptop and installed the RC. After I booted in and connected to Windows Update and downloaded the updates, and restarted to apply them, it refuses to move past the "Starting Windows" page. Now I can't boot into the OS at all. Any clues as to what to do? It offers to bring up the recovery console and uses the restore point created before I installed the updates. Once I revert to that, it's able to boot in but if the updates are applied then it refuses again.

My question is: is it just the updates, or is there something wrong with the installation? Is there a way I could reformat and reinstall the RC now, or is that not even necessary? Thanks for any help.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Ryokurin posted:

Wall Street Journal is reporting that 7 will be released October 22nd.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090602-711873.html

Also RTM is expected to be just over one month away!

The Windows Blog posted:

Obviously, Release To Manufacturing (RTM) is an important milestone on the path to GA. We anticipate that we’ll be able to make the RTM code for Windows 7 available to our partners sometime in the 2nd half of July. We also expect to be able to make RTM code for Windows Server 2008 R2 available to our partners in this time frame as well.

Source

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

DarthBlingBling posted:

Also RTM is expected to be just over one month away!

Source

Dang yo, MS is moving fast with this one.

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 14, 2013

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The only source that anyone cites about an "RC2" is what appears to be a warez site?

Edit: Poking around a little more the "changelog" is just a variation on the supposed 7140 changelog which was bogus.

FlushablPet
Apr 27, 2002
AtKajAndAarAt

Iblys posted:

A few more questions.

1) How are people going with dual monitors, specifically TVs?
Oddly enough, I'm having a bitch of a time getting it to play nicely with my LCD TV compared to Vista.

In Vista, I had Ultramon shortcuts set up to run Mediaportal and Hulu Desktop on the TV - worked flawlessly. In in 7, these shortcuts don't work, the only way, it seems, to get something running on the TV is to drag the window over to it, a total downer for the click and go HTPC setup I wanted. The built in multi monitor support doesn't go as far as I wished for either - at least in comparison to Ultramon on Vista.

Add to it the fact Win7 64 bit doesn't play nice with the SPDIF output on my soundcard or my IR remote control yet (It kills the back and info buttons in Mediaportal), and I'm left with a crippled HTPC for the time being.

Other than that I love the OS...

Edit: NVidia's HDTV desktop resize utility doesn't seem to apply the changes you make either, so overscan here I am :/

FlushablPet fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 3, 2009

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dogen posted:

2) I have an X-Fi gamer and it works fine, I'm using the beta drivers and I haven't tried out Alchemy, but in this day and age I think that EAX is falling by the wayside. I am hanging onto the card because it has a lower noise floor than my motherboard sound and I hate that drat buzzing noise. One thing that's mildly annoying is that I have to turn down the volume to like 20%, it's loud as hell and set to max by default.

I just bought one of these and was wondering what the best driver set is for it. I just used the Vista ones off of Creative's page. Does it make a big difference?

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

@KJ&AR@ posted:

In Vista, I had Ultramon shortcuts set up to run Mediaportal and Hulu Desktop on the TV - worked flawlessly.

You can set up Mediaportal to always open up in full screen on the second monitor. I'd just do that rather that messing around with Ultramon. Don't know about Hulu, but I would look for a setting in the program for that too.

FlushablPet
Apr 27, 2002
AtKajAndAarAt

I Like Jell-O posted:

You can set up Mediaportal to always open up in full screen on the second monitor. I'd just do that rather that messing around with Ultramon. Don't know about Hulu, but I would look for a setting in the program for that too.

Forgot all about that, thanks! One less problem.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Can someone tell me how to please turn off Windows Media Player library sharing? The "Sharing..." isn't available under File in Media Player anymore.

I have this problem where my PS3 being on keeps detecting my PC and bringing it out of sleep mode. I went to Network & Sharing in the control panel and blocked all access to media sharing, turning that feature off. However, I sleep my machine and a moment later it turns on again until the PS3 is turned off.

Help. I've run out of options except to turn off Wake on LAN, but I don't want to have to do that because I'd like to use my 360 as a Media Center extender at some point here. :(

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dogen posted:

No, I'm not. I know going the opposite way (GFWL->XBL) can cause some craziness on the 360, so maybe there is some kind of reverse of this process... assuming you have a 360 and XBL, of course.

Yea, I have a 360 and gold xbl, and they aren't running at the same time either. Its something with the game, but I'm not sure how much I care to troubleshoot it at the moment.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003

@KJ&AR@ posted:

Add to it the fact Win7 64 bit doesn't play nice with the SPDIF output on my soundcard or my IR remote control yet (It kills the back and info buttons in Mediaportal), and I'm left with a crippled HTPC for the time being.

What soundcard? I've gotten SPDIF to work on my built in Realtek after trying out a few different driver versions (I believe 2.09 was the one I ended up with). Then after I upgraded to 7100 and CCC 9.5 with the HDMI Audio Driver I got DTS and DD out via HDMI so now everything is perfect on my "HTPC" (I just use Zoom player with default 2nd monitor which is my plasma, and sound out on HDMI).

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Anyone found a way to pin TF2 (and other source games) to the taskbar? When I pin it it buggers up the way anyone who's had to gently caress about with mods- it pins hl2.exe and when you click on it, it doesn't know what game files to get so it gives you the vsync error. And now when I launch TF2 it uses the HL2 icon and calls itsself hl2.exe(2) which is just sort of ugly.

It's not a deal breaker but is there anyway to do this?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Quotey posted:

Anyone found a way to pin TF2 (and other source games) to the taskbar? When I pin it it buggers up the way anyone who's had to gently caress about with mods- it pins hl2.exe and when you click on it, it doesn't know what game files to get so it gives you the vsync error. And now when I launch TF2 it uses the HL2 icon and calls itsself hl2.exe(2) which is just sort of ugly.

It's not a deal breaker but is there anyway to do this?

You need to pin steam.exe -applaunch 440

You can find out the applaunch numbers by right clicking on games in your Steam list and choosing "create shortcut on desktop".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Also posted in the LaTeX thread, but thought I'd check here as well:

Can anyone tell me if Emacs (and the Starter Kit) works along with AUCTeX on Windows 7? I can't get it to work.