Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

Is there an easy way to share iTunes libraries between two Windows partitions? Most things I've seen when Googling around are sharing between Macs or between OS X and Windows with Boot Camp solutions

I'm dual-booting between Vista and 7 and it would be fantastic if both installations of iTunes could easily use the same library/settings files. The music folder is the same. At the very least, I'd like to be able to sync my iPod from either partition if at all possible

edit: It seems like some sort of folder alias would be best (i.e. c:\users\blahblah\music\iTunes is actually d:\users\blahblah\Music\iTunes), but I'm not seeing a way to do this in a way that iTunes will use.

Kegwen fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
On the OS your music ISN'T stored, hold down ALT while opening iTunes. You will have an option to open another library, browse to your iTunes folder on the other partition. Click OK and you're done.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Any reason I can't buy any games or music when I have $4.00 in credit? I was able to before. It keeps asking me to enter a credit card.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Due to various PC problems, I ended up having to reinstall windows vista. I stupidly forgot to back up any of my music before formatting the HD. I have an ipod touch 2g that has all of my music on it. Is there an easy way to get the music from the ipod touch onto the PC after I reinstall itunes? Thanks in advance.

You could always jailbreak your ipod touch, then its possible to transfer the files from your ipod to the computer for free.

niblox
May 7, 2009
Is there anyway to tag my music in iTunes? At the moment I'm putting tags in the comment field prefaced with an @ sign (eg. @live or @sweden) but is there an application to manage it?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Why the hell won't iTunes download any podcast artwork? When I download the podcasts directly to my iPhone the phone gets the art with no trouble.

Using iTunes itself, it's always left blank.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
This is a really stupid annoying problem. When I click on the podcast info button it appears like this:

This window has no title bar, it fades under expose and it doesn't respond to file>close window. It just floats there over everything until I quit and relaunch iTunes. How the gently caress do you make this window go away?

Always Shirtless
Oct 14, 2006

by Fistgrrl
edit: never mind i found the sound file and just deleted it and it works fine

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice
I am having an issue with different albums that have the same name showing up as one album on my iPod. I have three different albums titled Greatest Hits. In iTunes there isn't much problem, but when I browse by album on my iPod this appears to be one large album containing the content of all three CDs. Is there a way to fix this problem short of naming the albums "Greatest Hits - Artist?"

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

clayburn posted:

I am having an issue with different albums that have the same name showing up as one album on my iPod. I have three different albums titled Greatest Hits. In iTunes there isn't much problem, but when I browse by album on my iPod this appears to be one large album containing the content of all three CDs. Is there a way to fix this problem short of naming the albums "Greatest Hits - Artist?"

Do you have the "Compilation" tag on for these CDs? Turn it off if you do.

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice

IUG posted:

Do you have the "Compilation" tag on for these CDs? Turn it off if you do.

One of the albums did, but turning it off still did not fix the problem.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Are these all by the same artist? I had that problem with two albums, so I just titled one "Greatest Hits 1987" and "Greatest Hits 1990" to fix the problem.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
ANy way to get Genius to play unchecked songs?

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice

IUG posted:

Are these all by the same artist? I had that problem with two albums, so I just titled one "Greatest Hits 1987" and "Greatest Hits 1990" to fix the problem.

No, it's three separate artists. I suppose I could just change the album name, but I was hoping to find a more elegant solution.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

clayburn posted:

No, it's three separate artists. I suppose I could just change the album name, but I was hoping to find a more elegant solution.
Do you use "album artist" as well as "artist"? I had trouble with two groups of same-named albums until I filled in the "album artist" field for all of them.

amiches
Oct 3, 2004
grand opening grand closing
I dumped a whole bunch of songs from a shared network drive into my library yesterday, stupidly forgetting that itunes automatically analyzes each file for gapless playback, genius and album art. My network's not very fast, so this is taking forever, and locking up iTunes so as to be completely unusable. Is there any way I can take the network folder out of my library without actually opening up iTunes?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

amiches posted:

I dumped a whole bunch of songs from a shared network drive into my library yesterday, stupidly forgetting that itunes automatically analyzes each file for gapless playback, genius and album art. My network's not very fast, so this is taking forever, and locking up iTunes so as to be completely unusable. Is there any way I can take the network folder out of my library without actually opening up iTunes?

There's a little X you can hit while it's trying to analyse songs, it's in the LCD-thingie, to the right.

amiches
Oct 3, 2004
grand opening grand closing

Carthag posted:

There's a little X you can hit while it's trying to analyse songs, it's in the LCD-thingie, to the right.

Yeah, it starts as soon as I open iTunes and locks up the GUI, so clicking the X doesn't do anything.

cold-cell
Jul 25, 2004

FATTY FOREVER
Why can't i tag multiple items as part of a compilation anymore? I could have sworn this was possible before 8.1. Now i have to go through each track in a compilation individually and tick the box.

One other thing that's bothering me is coverflow not working with a connected ipod video, yet if i make a playlist under library and add the files from the ipod harddrive, coverflow works fine.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

cold-cell posted:

Why can't i tag multiple items as part of a compilation anymore?

They moved it a few versions ago.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is there ay way I can rate song with a keyboard shortcut, like pressing Ctrl-5 or something? That would allow me to rate a song while in full-screen cover flow mode. I Googled but it all seems to involve scripts or add-on programs and such :(

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Okay, it's time. With Apple starting the free ipod for students deal I foresee a mac purchase for me in the near future.

A question: copying my mp3s from my PC to the Mac should be straight forward enough. However, is there any way to also transfer over my itunes data (preferences, lists, ratings etc) so I'm not starting from scratch?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

mexecan posted:

Okay, it's time. With Apple starting the free ipod for students deal I foresee a mac purchase for me in the near future.

A question: copying my mp3s from my PC to the Mac should be straight forward enough. However, is there any way to also transfer over my itunes data (preferences, lists, ratings etc) so I'm not starting from scratch?
Consolidate your library then copy your iTunes folder (where all your iTunes media is) to the Mac. Done.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

mexecan posted:

I'm not sure if the Library file is the same across platforms. On the Mac, it's an .xml file. If you wanted to compare some code:

code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Major Version</key><integer>1</integer>
	<key>Minor Version</key><integer>1</integer>
	<key>Application Version</key><string>8.1.1</string>
	<key>Features</key><integer>5</integer>
	<key>Show Content Ratings</key><true/>
	<key>Music Folder</key><string>file://localhost/Volumes/LEELA/Music/</string>
	<key>Library Persistent ID</key><string>BCFF6DBF69243C09</string>
	<key>Tracks</key>
	<dict>
		<key>1525</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Track ID</key><integer>1525</integer>
			<key>Name</key><string>The Outsider (Apocalypse Mix)</string>
			<key>Artist</key><string>A Perfect Circle</string>
			<key>Composer</key><string>Danny Lohner, Joshua Eustis, Brandon Steineckert</string>
			<key>Album</key><string>aMOTION</string>
			<key>Genre</key><string>Alternative &#38; Punk</string>
			<key>Kind</key><string>MPEG audio file</string>
			<key>Size</key><integer>11516485</integer>
			<key>Total Time</key><integer>328437</integer>
			<key>Disc Number</key><integer>1</integer>
			<key>Disc Count</key><integer>1</integer>
			<key>Track Number</key><integer>3</integer>
			<key>Track Count</key><integer>9</integer>
			<key>Year</key><integer>2004</integer>
			<key>Date Modified</key><date>2009-04-14T19:09:09Z</date>
			<key>Date Added</key><date>2008-04-13T17:24:20Z</date>
			<key>Bit Rate</key><integer>280</integer>
			<key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer>
			<key>Play Count</key><integer>27</integer>
			<key>Play Date</key><integer>3322552437</integer>
			<key>Play Date UTC</key><date>2009-04-14T15:13:57Z</date>
			<key>Rating</key><integer>60</integer>
			<key>Album Rating</key><integer>60</integer>
			<key>Album Rating Computed</key><true/>
			<key>Sort Artist</key><string>Perfect Circle</string>
			<key>Sort Name</key><string>Outsider (Apocalypse Mix)</string>
			<key>Persistent ID</key><string>BCFF6DBF69243C20</string>
			<key>Track Type</key><string>File</string>
			<key>File Type</key><integer>1297106739</integer>
			<key>File Creator</key><integer>1752133483</integer>
			<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/Volumes/LEELA/Music/A%20Perfect%20Circle/aMOTION/03%20The%20Outsider%20(Apocalypse%20Mix)%201.mp3</string>
			<key>File Folder Count</key><integer>4</integer>
			<key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>1</integer>
		</dict>

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

While I haven't tried it myself, I've seen plenty of blog posts on google about using a PC library on a mac and vice-versa. Shouldn't be a problem.

You'll want to rename iTunes Library.itl to just iTunes Library.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I just reinstalled Windows and re-added all of my music to iTunes. For some reason, it completely ignores the metadata for about a third of the files, sticking them all in Unknown Artist - Unknown Album. There doesn't appear to be any pattern to which files it ignores, as they were all ripped in the same way over the span of a few months. Deleting and re-importing them doesn't help. The metadata is intact, as Windows is able to read it just fine. How can I force iTunes to pick up on the embedded metadata so I don't have to manually retag everything?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Carthag posted:

While I haven't tried it myself, I've seen plenty of blog posts on google about using a PC library on a mac and vice-versa. Shouldn't be a problem.

You'll want to rename iTunes Library.itl to just iTunes Library.

Works great. No need to rename it, even. And don't bother with the XML copy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
In a playlist with lots of different podcasts, I prefer to sort the podcasts by release date. However, sometimes a podcast has a problem or something on the release side, and another is put out later. Is there a way to manually change the order without having to default everything to "order added?"

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I was going to post a thread in Tech Support, but perhaps I could get better help here...

I know this is a silly problem, but I’ve been spending the past three hours on Google trying every solution I can, but the result is always the same.

Last night I performed an update for Windows (I use Vista Ultimate 64-bit) last night and it caused my computer to run slow and certain applications to behave strangely (read as: Fallout 3 kept crashing :sweatdrop: ) so I used System Restore to undo the damage. Worked fine (Fallout 3 stopped crashing), but my computer wouldn’t recognize my iPod Touch.

At first, the problem was more severe. When I connected my iPod to my computer the menu screen went all black and when I tried to turn it off the red slider froze, so I tried to turn it off the other way by holding down both the power and menu button until it shut off. When I turned it back on it behaved fine, but when I plugged it back into my computer my iPod couldn't be recognized by Windows, let alone iTunes. I searched Google and they suggest reinstalling iTunes. I do so and now Windows recognizes my iPod but iTunes is still being a bitch.

So I try every little bit of advice I can find on the Internet from resetting the data on my iPod to turning the iPod Service on and off but to no avail. iTunes will not recognize no matter what I do. So far I’ve tried everything outside of completely restoring my iPod and Windows itself. For the record, I’ve…

* Reset the settings on my iPod, but I’ve not restored my iPod completely.
* Completely uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes 8.2 along with Apple Mobile Device Support and Apple Software Update
* Turned the iPod service off and on

And various combinations of the three. Still, iTunes won’t recognize my iPod. Is there anyone here who has ever experienced a problem like this in the past? I’d really like to get this resolved.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Is there a free and easy way of isolating my iTunes audio output (on a mac)? I basically want my music playing through my external speakers, while all my other system sounds go through my headphones. Ambrosia's WireTap Pro is working for this for now as a trial version, but it's got way more features than I'm looking for and I'm trying to find a free solution as well.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Is there a free and easy way of isolating my iTunes audio output (on a mac)? I basically want my music playing through my external speakers, while all my other system sounds go through my headphones. Ambrosia's WireTap Pro is working for this for now as a trial version, but it's got way more features than I'm looking for and I'm trying to find a free solution as well.

You could probably do it by simulating an AirTunes setup. Not sure if such a system exists, but if it does, you can select that in iTunes and potentially have it play to whatever output you want.

Googling a bit, maybe this will do it:

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/ (can reroute AirTunes to other computers/apps/a whole bunch of stuff) (25 bucks)

perhaps in combination with

http://www.cycling74.com/products/soundflower (fakes sound in/out so you can route between apps) (free)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 11, 2009

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Carthag posted:

You could probably do it by simulating an AirTunes setup. Not sure if such a system exists, but if it does, you can select that in iTunes and potentially have it play to whatever output you want.

Googling a bit, maybe this will do it:

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/ (can reroute AirTunes to other computers/apps/a whole bunch of stuff) (25 bucks)

perhaps in combination with

http://www.cycling74.com/products/soundflower (fakes sound in/out so you can route between apps) (free)

I had checked out both RogueAmoeba's apps and tried out Soundflower, none are really what I'm looking for unfortunately. Airfoil looks like it's mainly for sending non-iTunes audio to other devices, and setting up some virtual airtunes reciever might work with it, but it seems complex and probably doesn't exist. Audio Hijack seems to have the exact same functions as WireTap (but without the ability to patch audio to a particular output; it's cheaper but even less useful to me).

Soundflower does app-to-app rerouting, but only helps with applications that can already choose where to send their audio input/output so it still didn't solve the dilemma of isolating my iTunes audio.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I had checked out both RogueAmoeba's apps and tried out Soundflower, none are really what I'm looking for unfortunately. Airfoil looks like it's mainly for sending non-iTunes audio to other devices, and setting up some virtual airtunes reciever might work with it, but it seems complex and probably doesn't exist. Audio Hijack seems to have the exact same functions as WireTap (but without the ability to patch audio to a particular output; it's cheaper but even less useful to me).

Soundflower does app-to-app rerouting, but only helps with applications that can already choose where to send their audio input/output so it still didn't solve the dilemma of isolating my iTunes audio.

Did you actually try Airfoil? I think it has a trial. It'll isolate iTunes (or any other app's) audio and send it to any number of networked computers, AirPorts Express and iPhones/iPods with Airfoil Speakers running.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Did you actually try Airfoil? I think it has a trial. It'll isolate iTunes (or any other app's) audio and send it to any number of networked computers, AirPorts Express and iPhones/iPods with Airfoil Speakers running.

I did try it, I'm only seeing the ability to send to other devices, not other lines out. I can send it to my own computer, but I still can't pick which line out I want it to use, so all i'd be doing is adding an extra step broadcasting music from my own machine to itself.

Maybe I'm not wording my inquiry clearly. I want only my iTunes audio to be sent through my built-in line out or my built-in digital line out, and I want all other audio to be sent through my headphone jack or my build-in speakers if I don't have headphones plugged in. I don't have any other networked computers, iPods, iPhones, AppleTV, or AirPort Express to send my audio to, just my stereo.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm pretty sure there is no free way to do that, unfortunately. I put up with using Audio Hijack myself to do the same thing, but as you said it's a pain.

Sojourner
Jun 6, 2007

Get In
A really cool feature of itunes is exporting your library/playlists to a text file, where it separates them by tabs. If for some reason you wanted to put your itunes information into a database or excel and generate reports or do other tasks. I made mine highlight duplicate song names bright pink, then I would delete their row (I had a big problem with duplicate songs from poor media management).

You can also import the tab separated values file back into itunes after you're done with it!

*swiftly edited for terrible grammar*

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Airfoil :words:

I misunderstood you. I'm unaware of any free (or easy + pay) way to do what you're trying to do.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've been downgrading iTunes to mess around with AT&T carrier settings on my iPhone. I tried going back to the newest versions of iTunes and I keep getting the "This iTunes Library is not compatible because it was created with a newer version of iTunes"

Why is this happening? I downloaded the iTunes straight from Apple.com and I'm still getting the error.

noydb
Mar 23, 2007
Is there any way to get itunes to automatically update the library? I rip a CD on my user account and it has to manually be added to the libraries of the other user accounts on the computer by adding the new folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
iTunes doesn't keep track of folders in its library and treats the library as a collection of files, not directories. Furthermore, it doesn't really self-update on anything except RSS feeds for podcasts and shared iTunes libraries. You'll need something like a folder watcher to do what you're looking for.