Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawling Dad
Sep 16, 2005

Non-stop gash, penetrate that, the album went silver, celebrate that
Been bombing my way through The Sopranos. Which in my humble opinion as an overall package is the best series ever made. I'm in the last series now and I'm sort of gutted, getting towards the end n all. The whole Johnny Sack story in this series has been killing me, I think it's one of the saddest downfall stories I've ever seen, I loved that character.

And of course for funnies on the side just mainly adult swim stuff and South Park here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiminy Cricket
Feb 5, 2008

Flight Suit Up!
I've almost finished the first season of Friday Night Lights in a couple of days. Good show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Skip season 2 and go straight to 3 afterwards. The writers for season 3 pretend that 2 never even happened.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Just finished Fringe, got Generation Kill left to watch. I'm at a bit of a loss as I've seen most big shows now. I've given a few some chances, but those didn't work out or I lost interest (Rome, Terminator, Burn Notice, BSG, Farscape)

Some shows that are good

The Kingdom - Danish, directed by Lars Von Trier, mysterious hospital.
Edge of Darkness - More of a miniseries. About a cops daughter who got murdered.
Survivors - Original series. What happened in England after everyone got ill.
Threads - I suppose it counts as tv. England after nuclear war.
Owl Service - About some children in Wales
The Prisoner - Better than Lost, how do you like them apples?
Thriller - UK version. Bit like Twilight Zone, but 70s.

I find pre-90s shows a little more interesting as we're used to the style of modern television, so there's still some good stuff out there. It just can be a little hard to track down.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Skip season 2 and go straight to 3 afterwards. The writers for season 3 pretend that 2 never even happened.
Not that bad if you marathon through it.

Nightman Cometh
Nov 22, 2008
I've been binging through the 4400 for the last couple of weeks and jeez is it better than Heroes. The story is just so much better and the abilities are far more interesting and less self-serving. I have only one episode left and am afraid to watch it yet because of the impending cliff I will be left hanging on.

I don't see it much around, anyone else enjoy this show?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Started watching Arrested Development on Hulu, they've got the whole drat series on there. I never watched it until now, partially because up until I watched The Office I didn't like the style it was shot in. Now that I'm used to it, I'm into it. So far the show seems more reliant on awkwardness, but it has a lot of great lines and it's interesting even when it isn't laugh out loud funny (though fortunately it fairly often is). I'm sure people will jump at the chance to say how fantastic it is, but please don't. I'd been hearing massive overhype for the show for years and that's one of the reasons I didn't get into it until now.

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

Nightman Cometh posted:

I've been binging through the 4400 for the last couple of weeks and jeez is it better than Heroes. The story is just so much better and the abilities are far more interesting and less self-serving. I have only one episode left and am afraid to watch it yet because of the impending cliff I will be left hanging on.

I don't see it much around, anyone else enjoy this show?

Some of seasons 2 and 3 bored me but overall I enjoyed it. Season 4, however, was just miles better than Heroes ever was or will be. It is a shame it got canceled.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bonk posted:

Started watching Arrested Development on Hulu, they've got the whole drat series on there. I never watched it until now, partially because up until I watched The Office I didn't like the style it was shot in. Now that I'm used to it, I'm into it. So far the show seems more reliant on awkwardness, but it has a lot of great lines and it's interesting even when it isn't laugh out loud funny (though fortunately it fairly often is). I'm sure people will jump at the chance to say how fantastic it is, but please don't. I'd been hearing massive overhype for the show for years and that's one of the reasons I didn't get into it until now.

If it'll help with the hype issue, I found AD almost completely uninteresting and unfunny and I gave up after two or three episodes.

NineBreaker
Oct 22, 2005

I binged through the first season of Burn Notice in the last 40 hours and that's on top of 16 hours of work. I'm exhausted from doing nothing but watching concentrated awesome but goddamn is it worth it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

wlokos posted:

I did this, never even watched a single episode of season 2 or beyond. I don't regret it one bit.

You made the right choice and I wish I had done the same. I got three episodes into Season 2 but any kind of amnesia plot just turns me off instantly. That was a year ago and I doubt I ever watch the rest.

Ytadel
Feb 20, 2006

More Action! More Excitement! More Adventure!

Brimmy posted:

When you're finished move on to Undeclared. Not as great as Freaks and Geeks but I liked it better.

It doesn't have 5% the pathos and nostalgia and character development of F&G, but it's just as funny if not funnier. Also, while Seth Rogen in F&G is a lot more dry, you can really see the genesis of Seth Rogen, comedy superstar in Undeclared. And the truth or dare episode is hilarious.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I've been rewatching Arrested Development on Hulu. I love that they have little jokes about future plot lines peppered throughout that really makes it fun to rewatch.

charliecantsurf
Jun 17, 2005

Just got caught up on breaking bad. This show is so bleak and awesome and badass at the same time. I regret putting this one off. I'm gonna check out mad men next.

I finished off the wireb this year. The last season definitely wasn't on par with the previous seasons but I still enjoyed it.

Girlfriend got me watching arrested development. I'm not normally into following comedies at length but god drat- this was amazing.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

justcola posted:

I've given a few some chances, but those didn't work out or I lost interest (Farscape)

I am pretty sure I will be backed up on this - unless you were really, really, REALLY turned off by the first impressions of the show and generally disliked or hated it from the start, give it another shot. It takes some time to get into it, but it really picks up about half or two-thirds into the first season and the subsequent seasons get better and better.

Most characters become downright loveable (some of which you will love to hate) and the chemistry and dynamic between them is amazing.

Trust me on this. I don't think it's hyperbole when I say that everyone who watched the show in it's entirety ended up loving it and ranks it as one of the best sci-fi shows ever.

Just writing this post makes me want to watch it all over again :D

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

mcbexx posted:

I am pretty sure I will be backed up on this - unless you were really, really, REALLY turned off by the first impressions of the show and generally disliked or hated it from the start, give it another shot. It takes some time to get into it, but it really picks up about half or two-thirds into the first season and the subsequent seasons get better and better.

Most characters become downright loveable (some of which you will love to hate) and the chemistry and dynamic between them is amazing.

Trust me on this. I don't think it's hyperbole when I say that everyone who watched the show in it's entirety ended up loving it and ranks it as one of the best sci-fi shows ever.

Just writing this post makes me want to watch it all over again :D

Where would you guys put it compared to Babylon 5?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

-Blackadder- posted:

Where would you guys put it compared to Babylon 5?

Re: Farscape, it could be altered by your taste, of course; if craziness and and irreverent sensibility turn you off then you may never like it all that much. And the ending suffers a bit from having to compress season 5 into a 3-hour miniseries. But all things considered I would say it's no more than a step or two below B5.

I am of course coming from the perspective of considering B5 definitely a top-3 and possibly #1 science fiction show of all time. Farscape is at least a good candidate for top 5 for me, and might be even higher if it hadn't been cut short. I love the characters, the creatures, and the interplay of comedy and drama. It's been a while since I saw it but I think everything starts to really go off the rails sometime in season 2, and I mean that in the best possible way.

If it were just airing today it'd still be ahead of its time.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 30, 2009

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I've been on-and-off binging recently on the BBC's Quite Interesting. I keep going between periods of being completely tired of the show, and then drawn back to it with Stephen Fry and his quintessentially British personality, along all the other awesome guests that were on the show. I'm almost done with Season 4, and should hit Season 5 soon, but I really can't stand to watch it for an entire season without it becoming just background noise to whatever else I'm doing. But that's what I get for finishing Deadwood so quickly :(

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just started going through MI-5 on netflix instant. Seems alright so far. After binging through House a few weeks ago seeing Hugh Laurie showing up as a bureaucrat was pretty bizzare.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I just started The Shield. I'm a fan of The Wire and I've been told that The Shield makes for a good companion piece. I'm only two episodes deep into the first season. I've been told that the first season is the least best of the series and if that's true then I'm in for one awesome roller coaster ride because I'm liking what I'm seeing.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I've watched season 3-5 of Numb3rs on Netflix and have now gone back and actually bought the first two seasons to watch. Where the hell did this show come from? I'm actually hooked and can't wait for season 6.

EDIT: Also, just marathoned The Pretender a month ago, I swear I never heard of these shows, but I'm really enjoying finding some random show I never heard of.

LorneReams fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 3, 2009

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Heh so I was watching The West Wing season 1 and was wondering who played Leo's daughter. I go to Google to type "West Wing Leo's daughter" and when I get to "West Wing Leo" the smart search suggests "West Wing Leo dies heart attack." Thanks, Google! Haha.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

Fast Luck posted:

Heh so I was watching The West Wing season 1 and was wondering who played Leo's daughter. I go to Google to type "West Wing Leo's daughter" and when I get to "West Wing Leo" the smart search suggests "West Wing Leo dies heart attack." Thanks, Google! Haha.

You probably would've found out anyway, the actor died.

One Two Twee!
Jan 6, 2009

Macrame_God posted:

I just started The Shield. I'm a fan of The Wire and I've been told that The Shield makes for a good companion piece. I'm only two episodes deep into the first season. I've been told that the first season is the least best of the series and if that's true then I'm in for one awesome roller coaster ride because I'm liking what I'm seeing.

You definitely are. The Wire is better, but the Shield is just much more fun.

Do yourself a favor, though, and stay away from spoilers.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I just finished Generation Kill today, and it was absolutely amazing.

Over the past few years I've been binging through HBO shows. What's the story with Tru-Blood? I work in a bookstore and I've seen the books its based off of, they seem....quirky and absurd. Is the series anything like this or is it actually worth watching?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

True Blood is trash in its finest form. It's a very entertaining show, it's no Six Feet Under, but it's one of those guilty pleasures. Worth a watch.

E: Don't watch it with parents. It can get very...awkward.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 4, 2009

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

One Two Twee! posted:

You definitely are. The Wire is better, but the Shield is just much more fun.

Do yourself a favor, though, and stay away from spoilers.

That's the vibe I'm getting. The Shield isn't quite as complex as The Wire, but it's action-packed and it still has all the good acting and interesting plots.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I just buzzed through the entire first season of How I Met Your Mother basically in one sitting. It's loving awesome and I couldn't stop.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mu Zeta posted:

True Blood is trash in its finest form. It's a very entertaining show, it's no Six Feet Under, but it's one of those guilty pleasures. Worth a watch.

E: Don't watch it with parents. It can get very...awkward.

Yeah I finished watching the first season recently because it was made by Alan Ball. Every single aspect and concept of the show are things that I detest usually, but somehow they all come together in a perfect trashy form that is irresistible to watch.

Plus there's just a certain kind of joy to watching ornery Southern women talking fast and angry at their men.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I've been DVR'ing all the repeats of Everybody Loves Raymond, Yes Dear, King of Queens and Just Shoot Me since I never got into any of them when they were on.

So far, I like Yes Dear and Just Shoot Me the most, and Raymond has a great supporting cast but Ray Romano kinda sucks.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

I've been DVR'ing all the repeats of Everybody Loves Raymond, Yes Dear, King of Queens and Just Shoot Me since I never got into any of them when they were on.

So far, I like Yes Dear and Just Shoot Me the most, and Raymond has a great supporting cast but Ray Romano kinda sucks.

A lot of people don't like Everybody Loves Raymond, but Peter Boyle is fantastic.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
About a month ago I lost my job, my now ex-girlfriend moved away, and all my friends went home for the summer (I live permanantly in my university town). So I've been watching a shitload of television.

I've already gone through the entire runs of:

Damages - a fantastic lawyer show. I don't like lawyer shows at all but turning the premise into a serial rather than episodic drama really works well. It's pretty unexpectedly twisted sometimes too, especially the first season. Also Glenn Close is fantastic, I initially tried this because of her great turn on the Shield. Also because of Toby's disembodied voice in the bathroom. Thanks, Toby.

How I met your mother - I resisted this for a long long time, like I did with Harry Potter. I found exactly the same thing to be true for this show as I did for that book series; it's excellent for what it is. Of course, for Harry Potter that's 'for a children's book', which doesn't imply ameasure of quality, whereas for HIMYM it's 'for a lovely sitcom', which does. Still though, for a generic laugh track sitcom it's really really great, the best since That 70s Show.

Party Down - Really really funny. Some of the best character (rather than punch line) based humour I've ever seen. "call an ambullluurrrgh" is regular quoting material among my friends and I these days

generation kill - oh man, just so so quality. in terms of a well put together and presented theme, its pretty much as good as television gets.

dollhouse - I actually like it quite a bit, but I'm a sucker for slightly cut-rate episodic science fiction.

terminator (season 2, watched 1 ages ago and it sucked) - See above.

I'm also currently working on

supernatural - Just picked up season 3 today. Season 1 was decent with some absolutely horrendous episodes, and after I finished it I recognised the potential and hoped they would start to take some risks with the formula. Needless to say for anyone that's seen season 2, they so go above and beyond on that hope. There's only like 5 episodes in the entire season that have a straightforward, "go here, solve case" plot, and even those ones are usually done with some kind of cool and innovative twist. Also, "I straight-up Swayzed that mother" is the best line in the past few years of television

breaking bad - I dunno. It's alright I guess. I'm halfway through season 1 and it's interesting but a little too grim even for me. And I really like grim things.

Andy Richter Controls the Universe - not nearly as funny as people say

umm.. I've been watching other stuff too. I forget though. Seriously, too much television. My life is awful right now, thank god I'm not living in the 1800s or I'd have summer cabin fever by now.

Any recommendations as far as what's next? I'm thinking True Blood and Sons of Anarchy, because I love Six Feet Under and the Shield

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 4, 2009

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watch Friday Night Lights. Get Season 1, skip 2, and go straight to 3. It's one of the best dramas

Daft Frik
Jan 26, 2004

Where mah boy at?!

The Walrus posted:

I'm thinking True Blood and Sons of Anarchy

I watched both of these recently, and they're great. Sons of Anarchy didn't sound half as good as it ended up being. While it doesn't sound like a huge compliment- True Blood's like a good version of Twilight. I didn't like anything about the movie, but it did get me pumped for the new season of True Blood, since it's similar, but True Blood's just... Good.

On another note, I was surprised by your lackluster view of Breaking Bad, but being "too grim" is probably the best excuse to not love that show, imo. I'd definitely finish out the season, though. That show has been my favorite thing to watch week after week.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Daft Frik posted:

I watched both of these recently, and they're great. Sons of Anarchy didn't sound half as good as it ended up being. While it doesn't sound like a huge compliment- True Blood's like a good version of Twilight. I didn't like anything about the movie, but it did get me pumped for the new season of True Blood, since it's similar, but True Blood's just... Good.

On another note, I was surprised by your lackluster view of Breaking Bad, but being "too grim" is probably the best excuse to not love that show, imo. I'd definitely finish out the season, though. That show has been my favorite thing to watch week after week.

Oh, I'm totally going to at least finish the first season. It's clearly well made. I don't know, maybe if I was in a happier place in my life right now I'd be cooler with an hour-long episode devoted entirely to the decision to kill a man. Right now I'm more in the mood for explosions and intrigue.

I've always heard great things about Friday Night Lights, I'll have to give it a try once I'm done with Breaking Bad for my 'serious drama' fix.

edit: I should mention, I've also been rounding out my viewing schedule with various reality and information shows. Highlights include:

madventures - Two finnish guys travel the world, just themselves and a camcorder, and do insane things. In the most recent episode the host eats human flesh (sort of). The brazil episode is the first of the season and still my favourite, they meet a real favella ganglord then go to the jungle and trip balls on dmt.

wipeout - the second I'm feeling sad I put this on and everything is better. seriously, I finished a tear-filled conversation with my ex, put on this show, and was laughing in seconds. it never gets old watching people smack into foam rubber really really hard.

top gear - any north americans who have even the vaguest interest in cars need to check this show out RIGHT NOW. Actually scratch that, an interest isn't even required, just an appreciation. This show is spectacularily well-edited, always interesting, loving hilarious, and has the best hosts on television right now. The full-length challenge episodes at least (drive across vietnam, the southern us, the spine of africa, to the north pole, etc.) are required viewing, if you watch nothing else.

man vs. wild a long time fan of survivorman, I'm ashamed to admit I find this more entertaining. Not for any good reason really, it's just bear is a loving psychopath and it's fun to watch him do retarded things.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 4, 2009

Boston Low
May 1, 2007
Everything is better with bacon.
This USA burn notice marathon has completely consumed my past three mornings. To think I didn't know about this show before Monday.

Daft Frik
Jan 26, 2004

Where mah boy at?!
Aye, Wipeout, it's awesome. I didn't expect to find a show like this so drat funny. I've been screaming with laughter ever since I started watching it (last night).

In the last few days I've also been watching through: 2008 World Series of Poker, Deadwood and Carnivale.

I'm enjoying Carnivale a good bit more than Deadwood, but that's nothing against Deadwood.

Ayabi
Aug 26, 2006

Sorry, but I'd rather leave the stage.
I never really wanted to watch Heroes because all the geeks at my school hyped it up way too much. All three seasons were on netflix, and I watched it all within a week. Kristen Bell's character is by far one of my favorite characters in a tv show. The season 3 finale was really disappointing though. Not only do they shut the door while we just hear the fight between Peter and Nathan vs. Sylar, but Sylar becomes Nathan? And Mom's totally okay with that? Come on. Oh, and Ali Larter's third sister is the new villain/manipulated and misguided hero. They really don't wanna give her up.

Oh, and I finally got through True Blood in time before season 2. It was fun, though the special effects were terrible. I'm excited about Dr. Mossman from Half-Life 2 joining the cast, but I'm not too happy about Lafayette dying. He was one of my favorite characters.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Shows I have recently binged through:

Seasons 1-5 of 24: They get better with age, especially seasons 1 and 2. Some of the best television I've watched in a long time, and Jack still has his humanity at this point.

Season 1 of Heroes: Completely forgettable and boring.

Bones: While not an instant favorite, I have to admit that I like it. The interaction between Booth and Temperance is fun to watch. Zach :(

Seasons 1-2 of Buffy: VAMPIRES

Avatar: The Last Airbender: For a cartoon, you really can't do much better.

And then there's the show that I'm watching right now. And I have to say, for everyone that grew up in the 90s and watched this show then, it's quite an experience to go back and watch Daria again as an adult. You really catch the subtle things you may have missed as an angst ridden teenager. The characters actually grow and change during the course of the series (Most notably, Quinn), and the humor is fresh and funny. Daria is quickly rising through the ranks of my favorite cartoons toward the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Fast Luck posted:

god dammit i'm halfway through season 3 and though i was safe to look at a spoiler about season 1.

gently caress.