Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
I presume Steam and all the games work fine with W7?

I am loving this new taskbar thing, I love the Windows Explorer thing where all the folders are just grouped together and can be easily closed out of without opening them!

Also, is there any reason why my old games like Starcraft and Diablo II look like poo poo? How do you run in XP mode?

deltawing fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

deltawing posted:

I am loving this new taskbar thing, I love the Windows Explorer thing where all the folders are just grouped together and can be easily closed out of without opening them!

Also, is there any reason why my old games like Starcraft and Diablo II look like poo poo? How do you run in XP mode?

So far the only steam game that hasn't worked for me is Freedom Force, which caused a blue screen. Haven't tried fixing that yet.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Craptacular! posted:

Can someone tell me how to please turn off Windows Media Player library sharing? The "Sharing..." isn't available under File in Media Player anymore.

I have this problem where my PS3 being on keeps detecting my PC and bringing it out of sleep mode. I went to Network & Sharing in the control panel and blocked all access to media sharing, turning that feature off. However, I sleep my machine and a moment later it turns on again until the PS3 is turned off.

Help. I've run out of options except to turn off Wake on LAN, but I don't want to have to do that because I'd like to use my 360 as a Media Center extender at some point here. :(

I've never seen sharing under file and I'm looking at WMP 11. Tools, options, library, configure sharing is where I've always found it.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
So I tried XP mode today and it seemed pretty laggy here and there, anyone else experience this?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
It uses a form of Remote Desktop to draw the windows, which makes it a tiny bit laggy (and turns off ClearType). If it weren't for the Window-integration and free copy of XP, I'd ditch it in favor of VMWare or something.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Fallom posted:

I just bought one of these and was wondering what the best driver set is for it. I just used the Vista ones off of Creative's page. Does it make a big difference?

I dunno, I grabbed the Win 7 beta ones and they seem fine

CitizenKain posted:

Yea, I have a 360 and gold xbl, and they aren't running at the same time either. Its something with the game, but I'm not sure how much I care to troubleshoot it at the moment.

They don't have to be running at the same time, there are some persistent settings across both that can screw things up sometimes (often pertaining to the microphone)

deltawing posted:

Works fine for me, even Mass Effect launches from the games tab, which it gives a big warning about how it won't do so under Vista... so I guess they fixed that. I have launched the various permutations of HL2 and also Deus Ex from it besides ME so far.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

deltawing posted:

So I tried XP mode today and it seemed pretty laggy here and there, anyone else experience this?

What processor do you have?

Gallipoli
Apr 27, 2004

Not the Italian city. No one cares about the Italian city.
What is everyone planning to use for full disk encryption? I understand the RC comes with Bitlocker, but I don't intend to have the cost of this netbook be exceeded by the OS version when I have to buy it (here I am, possibly foolishly, assuming prices are going to be close to equivalent Vista versions at release).

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Gallipoli posted:

What is everyone planning to use for full disk encryption? I understand the RC comes with Bitlocker, but I don't intend to have the cost of this netbook be exceeded by the OS version when I have to buy it (here I am, possibly foolishly, assuming prices are going to be close to equivalent Vista versions at release).

TrueCrypt.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

CitizenKain posted:

I switched to Win7 this weekend, and so far everything works but Fallout 3. I get as far as the first splash screen when it loads, and then nothing. None of the compatibility modes work for it either. I still need some more time messing around with it to see if I can narrow things down, but its not looking good.

Try disabling Anti-Aliasing, it causes fallout to do funky poo poo.

On an off note: GNR is stuttering really bad for me under 7100, which it didn't on 7000.
:(

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
What do I do with a BAD_POOL_HEADER error for a 7100 build?

This is all I could find

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

deltawing posted:

Pretty well. Punkbuster enabled games will not work online as Punkbuster will not work with Win 7 RC, and Punkbuster have no interest in fixing it until RTM

Alex007
Jul 8, 2004

Been running the beta since day one without any major problem, except for one: weird taskbar/titlebar flashing issues when flash content is displayed in firefox.

I think it's just my onboard video card (Intel G35 chipset) that is not cutting it or has buggy drivers. The video card rates 4.0 for graphics on the WEI, and 4.9 for gaming graphics. Everything else is fine (hard drive at 5.9, memory and cpu at 6.4).

Anyway, I plan on buying a new video card at the same time I buy my W7 license, ideally something that would allow me to run dual screen someday.

What card or company should I go with, considering this is for Win7 ? I've read ugly things about ATI's lovely drivers (or was it Nvidia?) here, so I'd like to buy something with a good track record for drivers.

I'm not a big gamer so I don't need anything hardcore.

Thanks !

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Alex007 posted:

What card or company should I go with, considering this is for Win7 ? I've read ugly things about ATI's lovely drivers (or was it Nvidia?) here, so I'd like to buy something with a good track record for drivers.

I'm not a big gamer so I don't need anything hardcore.

Thanks !

I'd say this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162001 should work fine for you.

I prefer nVidia, as they usually have a more stable driver base than ATI. ATI's drivers have been on and off for quite some time, and while they're apparently good now, the last few years haven't been as good, according to many many complaints. nVida's driver quality seems to be on a far more stable level over a long period of time.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

fishmech posted:

What processor do you have?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

deltawing posted:

Any particular reason you're not running Aero?

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Any particular reason you're not running Aero?

I...didn't know I wasn't. I haven't turned Aero off, at least to my knowledge.

I reformatted Vista today, and installed W7 with Aero activated. I dunno if Aero is the same in W7, but I haven't changed poo poo.

I always preferred Windows Classic view in Vista, but to my knowledge I'm using Aero in W7 :/

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

deltawing posted:

I...didn't know I wasn't. I haven't turned Aero off, at least to my knowledge.

I reformatted Vista today, and installed W7 with Aero activated. I dunno if Aero is the same in W7, but I haven't changed poo poo.

I always preferred Windows Classic view in Vista, but to my knowledge I'm using Aero in W7 :/

You're not. Aero would make that window transparent. Right click on desktop and in the options in there, you'll find an option to enable aero somewhere. Buggered if I can remember it off the top of my head, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You Am I posted:

Pretty well. Punkbuster enabled games will not work online as Punkbuster will not work with Win 7 RC, and Punkbuster have no interest in fixing it until RTM

I don't know what you're talking about, I've played hours worth of Call of Duty 4 on Win 7 RC and Punkbuster hasn't complained.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
Click on "System rating is not available" and rate the system. It will turn Aero on for you after you do that.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

zapateria posted:

What soundcard? I've gotten SPDIF to work on my built in Realtek after trying out a few different driver versions (I believe 2.09 was the one I ended up with). Then after I upgraded to 7100 and CCC 9.5 with the HDMI Audio Driver I got DTS and DD out via HDMI so now everything is perfect on my "HTPC" (I just use Zoom player with default 2nd monitor which is my plasma, and sound out on HDMI).

Realtek now has official Windows 7 drivers, ver 2.25, available form their download page. I get all the features I use (S/PDIF DDLive) going without issue.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Fallom posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, I've played hours worth of Call of Duty 4 on Win 7 RC and Punkbuster hasn't complained.

Every time I try to play CoD4 it kicks me for various API functions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

Make sure you've downloaded the punkbuster updater through their website then. Literally all I had to do to get Cod 4 working on Windows 7 was install it from the disc and update PB.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Fallom posted:

Make sure you've downloaded the punkbuster updater through their website then. Literally all I had to do to get Cod 4 working on Windows 7 was install it from the disc and update PB.

I've updated it about 5 times now. It still kicks me constantly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

I've updated it about 5 times now. It still kicks me constantly.

I don't know what to tell you then. Are you running 64bit? If there was simply an incompatibility with Windows 7 it would not work on my machine at all.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Captain Novolin posted:

Same here. And a lot of other people have had this issue :(

rhuagh
Apr 27, 2008

Nam Taf posted:

You're not. Aero would make that window transparent. Right click on desktop and in the options in there, you'll find an option to enable aero somewhere. Buggered if I can remember it off the top of my head, though.

All I have to do to enable Aero after install is right click desktop -> Personalize and then choose one of the themes in the section "Aero Themes", after installing drivers for my video card that is.

When it installs it defaults to "Windows 7 Basic" which is in the "Basic and High Contrast Section" of the Themes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nam Taf posted:

Uh no, there's Aero which may or may not be on since you can't tell from the window look and Aero Glass which will only be on if the window is transparent.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

fishmech posted:

Uh no, there's Aero which may or may not be on since you can't tell from the window look and Aero Glass which will only be on if the window is transparent.

You're right, I was mistaken. Whenever I think of Aero, I think of Aero Glass and everything associated with it :shobon:

FlushablPet
Apr 27, 2002
AtKajAndAarAt

zapateria posted:

What soundcard? I've gotten SPDIF to work on my built in Realtek after trying out a few different driver versions (I believe 2.09 was the one I ended up with). Then after I upgraded to 7100 and CCC 9.5 with the HDMI Audio Driver I got DTS and DD out via HDMI so now everything is perfect on my "HTPC" (I just use Zoom player with default 2nd monitor which is my plasma, and sound out on HDMI).

It's a PCI X-Mystique (or it's predecessor) that runs off the CMedia chipset family. It's Vista x64 drivers install in Win7, but the SPDIF/sound manager applet peaks at 700mb when it is opened and brings the system to it's knees. I installed the open source CMedia drivers that are floating around, and as well as having to disable driver signature enforcement, seems to have brought stability issues.

Unfortunately, the X-Mystique manufacturer seems to not be willing to release Win7 drivers yet, and Win7 comes with no driver support for it out of the box.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
The C-Media program makes my system unusable too. I'm using a Siig Soundwave 7.1 PCI card. It sucks that I can't use any of the features, so I'm switching to onboard until C-Media supports Windows 7.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

First things first, I love Windows 7. I actually didn't dislike Vista, but Win 7 is just so much better all around. I was happy with build 7000, and 7070 after that, both without a single complaint.

But now I'm on the RC, and things have changed. For reasons I can't figure out, the UI runs like complete poo poo. Everything operates fast and responsive, but Media Center and all animations are laggy and drop frames left and right. I've checked for processes hogging resources in the background and found nothing. I really can't imagine it being my hardware (E8400, 8800GTS 512, 4GB of RAM), especially since everything ran buttery smooth before.

I'm not really expecting a diagnosis given this much (little) info, but is anyone else experiencing anything like this? Everyone seems to say this is the best running build yet, but here I am contimplating downgrading to something earlier, or even back to Vista. :(

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Novolin posted:

Make sure you also install the punkbuster service, and cod4 should also be disabling some of aero functionality while it's running. Currently running cod4 on x64 (via steam) without issue.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So I'm contemplating installing Windows 7 over my current Vista x64 installation. I know this has probably been asked to death, and I read the OP and the last page here, but it's crucial: Are there any programs/games that work in Vista but DON'T work in Windows 7? Is there a comprehensive compatibility list for Windows 7 somewhere?

Sully
Feb 6, 2009
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Microsoft has an upgrade advisor to check your system for any incompatibilities you'd currently have (software, hardware, etc).

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1B544E90-7659-4BD9-9E51-2497C146AF15&displaylang=en

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Weirdness: Windows 7 (No codec packs installed) will generate thumbnails for VOB files, but doesn't know how to run them.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Serak posted:

Weirdness: Windows 7 (No codec packs installed) will generate thumbnails for VOB files, but doesn't know how to run them.
Associate them with WMP or WMC. But I could be wrong - I have the CCCP pack, which made the transition just fine, and VOB files play nicely.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 4, 2009

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

EoRaptor posted:

Realtek now has official Windows 7 drivers, ver 2.25, available form their download page. I get all the features I use (S/PDIF DDLive) going without issue.

I installed these and now all my Aero transitions move at about half speed. Uninstalling them hasn't helped. Now I'm confused.

Game performance is unaffected, just moving windows around & appearing/disappearing. They're still smooth... just running slowly.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
Regarding PunkBuster, I posted this before. Helped me out before, on 64-bit Win 7 with BF2.

quote:

Go to Start -> Run -> Services.msc and find PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB on each of them double click then go to log on then allow them both to interact with desktop then close services.

Then make sure hidden files are on and go to C:\Users\...\Appdata\Local\Punkbuster then right click each of the PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB and change compatibility to Windows Vista and tick run as administrator on both.

Then for your Call of Duty or similar multiplayer shortcut change to the same as those above.

Just remember PnkBstrA/B are located in some directory I can't remember....just do a search for em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Drinking, Driving, Thinking of You
I apologize in regards to my posts earlier. I just want to let everyone know that the trial of TotalMedia Theatre 3 worked for playing my HD-DVD's. However, at this time I'll have to hold off on buying the program since I don't have the funds to pay for the program. I am being careful with whatever money that I have since I haven't found a job since the time that Circuit City went under. So hopefully the software I already own will have a new free patch or some update. Then I can use it on Windows 7 so I won't have to spend that kind of money.

Anyway, I want to thank those who helped me out.