Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Wheany posted:

Okay, so they're giving up on the user agent version string issue. When the first weeklies came out, they said that using a version string such as "Opera 9.9 (10, really)" would just lead to "Opera 9.999 (10, really)[no, actually, it's 11]{seriously though, it's 12}"

9.8 sounds like they are synchronizing the minor version with IE's major version. When the world is ready for Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0), it's ready for Opera 13 or whatever.

uhh... what? :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Anunnaki posted:

uhh... what? :pwn:

Users reported that some sites that sniff user agents break since they don't expect a user agent string to contain more than one number. So "Opera 9" is correctly interpreted as Opera browser, version 9. "Opera 10" is incorrectly interpreted as Opera browser, version 1.

Broken sites then refuse to let you in and tell you that you need to upgrade your outdated Opera 1 browser to at least Opera 6 or something. People suggested that as a workaround Opera change their user agent to something like "Opera 9.9 (Opera 10)" and initially the developers refused.

Now the changelog says that Opera 10's user agent is "Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux i686; U; en) Presto/2.2.15 Version/10.00"

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Wheany posted:

Users reported that some sites that sniff user agents break since they don't expect a user agent string to contain more than one number. So "Opera 9" is correctly interpreted as Opera browser, version 9. "Opera 10" is incorrectly interpreted as Opera browser, version 1.

Broken sites then refuse to let you in and tell you that you need to upgrade your outdated Opera 1 browser to at least Opera 6 or something. People suggested that as a workaround Opera change their user agent to something like "Opera 9.9 (Opera 10)" and initially the developers refused.

Now the changelog says that Opera 10's user agent is "Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux i686; U; en) Presto/2.2.15 Version/10.00"

Oh, I see. Yeah, that's been happening to me too, but I usually just edit the site preferences to identify as Firefox.

Dr. Ikkegod
Jul 22, 2006

Pffffhahahaha!
I love Opera a lot for all its features, even more than I know exist.

However, one thing in particular that bugs me is the custom search. It's great to be able to search by just using one or a few letters, but why aren't we allowed to organize the search list? I very rarely add my searches in order, meaning they'll be mixed together.

Are there any programs out there (or can someone write a simple one?) that lets you organize these custom searches? I know you can edit search.ini, but that's not really a very simple way of doing it, since you have to rename everything and copy/pasting like a maniac. A program that easilly lets you move a search up/down would be great.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ixpfah posted:

I love Opera a lot for all its features, even more than I know exist.

However, one thing in particular that bugs me is the custom search. It's great to be able to search by just using one or a few letters, but why aren't we allowed to organize the search list? I very rarely add my searches in order, meaning they'll be mixed together.

Are there any programs out there (or can someone write a simple one?) that lets you organize these custom searches? I know you can edit search.ini, but that's not really a very simple way of doing it, since you have to rename everything and copy/pasting like a maniac. A program that easilly lets you move a search up/down would be great.

I don't know of an answer, but one suggestion I have would be to add the "View" button, from the "Browser View" section of the Buttons tab of Appearance. Then, you can click it to open and close the View bar easily. You can empty out the view bar and fill it with custom searches in whatever order you want.

Honestly though, I really have to suggest keyword searches. I used to do things the same thing with just using the search bar, got turned onto keyword searches and they're just so much faster.

Dr. Ikkegod
Jul 22, 2006

Pffffhahahaha!

Casao posted:

Honestly though, I really have to suggest keyword searches. I used to do things the same thing with just using the search bar, got turned onto keyword searches and they're just so much faster.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I do use keyword searches, all the time. That's what I love about the custom search. However, when I feel I need a more organized list, is if I want to look up a word in a text, say google "keyword searches" in your post, I mark the text, right click and choose the search engine from a list. But when everything is helter-skelter, it becomes quite difficult to find the correct search option. That is why I'd like the ability to organize them.

--------------

However, another thing I've been thinking of recently:

With Waffleimages acting up, a lot of pictures on these forums aren't always showing up. The way Opera works, I wouldn't know, since unloaded images aren't marked or indicated in any way. Is there a way to make Opera indicate that there's an image that's not loaded?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ixpfah posted:

However, another thing I've been thinking of recently:

With Waffleimages acting up, a lot of pictures on these forums aren't always showing up. The way Opera works, I wouldn't know, since unloaded images aren't marked or indicated in any way. Is there a way to make Opera indicate that there's an image that's not loaded?

This has a UserJS to do it. It's about 3 down, Let Me See Images.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Casao posted:

This has a UserJS to do it. It's about 3 down, Let Me See Images.

Thanks for this link. I had another UserJS that did the alt->title thing, but not the "let me see" part, so this replaces it. Perhaps now waffleimages outages will be visible to me, instead of being forced to infer missing images from quoted context. Further, I think I might find a use for some of the others here.

[edit]Test:

[edit2] I don't see anything. What's wrong? :(

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 1, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

On my 1280x800 laptop, I run Opera at 1062x770 (per a quick screeshot). When I hit F11 to fullscreen a page or image, and then hit it again to revert back to windowed mode, the browser window is now maximized. Clicking on Restore Down doesn't change Opera out of maximized size.

I haven't checked to see if closing and reopening Opera reverts it to my preferred window size, but I'd like to know if there's a way to have Opera revert back to the normally used size when exiting F11 fullscreen mode.

Dr. Ikkegod
Jul 22, 2006

Pffffhahahaha!

Lakitu7 posted:

Thanks for this link. I had another UserJS that did the alt->title thing, but not the "let me see" part, so this replaces it. Perhaps now waffleimages outages will be visible to me, instead of being forced to infer missing images from quoted context. Further, I think I might find a use for some of the others here.

[edit]Test:

[edit2] I don't see anything. What's wrong? :(
Yeah, I've noticed that not all broken picture links are made "visible". No idea why, and it blows. Some links do show up, though, but not all of them. At least it's not that links that don't exist doesn't show, while images that simply isn't loaded (for some reason) gets that "no image to show" icon. I was just in a photoshop thread, and both the pictures with the "no image to show" icon and those that didn't show at all could be loaded by right clicking and "show image".

So to sum up: Thanks for the link, Casoa, but it's not flawless.

sm8000 posted:

On my 1280x800 laptop, I run Opera at 1062x770 (per a quick screeshot). When I hit F11 to fullscreen a page or image, and then hit it again to revert back to windowed mode, the browser window is now maximized. Clicking on Restore Down doesn't change Opera out of maximized size.

I haven't checked to see if closing and reopening Opera reverts it to my preferred window size, but I'd like to know if there's a way to have Opera revert back to the normally used size when exiting F11 fullscreen mode.
I don't have this problem. When I make my Opera window smaller, then F11 into full screen, it reverts right back to the smaller window when I exit full screen.

Are you doing anything in particular while in full screen?

Dr. Ikkegod fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 1, 2009

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

ixpfah posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that not all broken picture links are made "visible". No idea why, and it blows. Some links do show up, though, but not all of them. At least it's not that links that don't exist doesn't show, while images that simply isn't loaded (for some reason) gets that "no image to show" icon. I was just in a photoshop thread, and both the pictures with the "no image to show" icon and those that didn't show at all could be loaded by right clicking and "show image".

So to sum up: Thanks for the link, Casoa, but it's not flawless.

When you quote my post, it does show up. My working hypothesis is that it only works when there's are HEIGHT/WIDTH tags, but I think that's also true of Opera without the script?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ixpfah posted:

Are you doing anything in particular while in full screen?

:fap:

Dr. Ikkegod
Jul 22, 2006

Pffffhahahaha!

Lakitu7 posted:

When you quote my post, it does show up. My working hypothesis is that it only works when there's are HEIGHT/WIDTH tags, but I think that's also true of Opera without the script?
That I do not know, I'm not that competent to answer.

But all images that doesn't load will show up in a quoted post. That's how I usually detect that a thread is full of pictures I'm not seeing. It was like that before I installed this UserJS script as well.

sm8000 posted:

:fap:
I see.

What version are you using? I'm using 9.64, and no problems with that here.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

9.64 here as well.

Dr. Ikkegod
Jul 22, 2006

Pffffhahahaha!

sm8000 posted:

9.64 here as well.
Strange. I don't really have any ideas, then, sorry. :(

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I've been meaning to leave some feedback on Opera's forums, but as my account name is my full name, I don't want it to be displayed as my user name. Is there any way to change my displayed name?

Oh, and the new Opera will be out tomorrow: Pic. Also confirmed on Opera's Twitter feed reading "Tomorrow".

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 2, 2009

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

ufarn posted:

Oh, and the new Opera will be out tomorrow: Pic. Also confirmed on Opera's Twitter feed reading "Tomorrow".

Hmm, so they just decided to ditch tabs altogether and go with thumbnails instead? It's bold of them to move away from most (all) of the competition's look with normal tabs; we'll have to see how it works tomorrow.

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005

ufarn posted:

'Beta 1' is out now:
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Looks pretty awesome, although I wish you could get the thumbnail tabs to show up if you're keeping the tabs on the left or right side. Most screens have a lot of unused horizontal space but the thumbnail tabs aren't worth the vertical space they take up.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Seems to be pretty interesting so far. I'll give the visual tabs thing a try for now, but it seems to take up a lot of space. Maybe if the Menu bar or something was removable ala Chrome.

Also, Facebook seems to be kind of wonky with the new beta.

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 3, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Still on 9.64, when I'm wireless and try to post a comment on Facebook, Opera seems stuck on the posting part but never finishes. Works fine in IE8, haven't tried it wired yet.

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
With every new browser release, it becomes more and more frustrating to avoid using tabs. When I click the "O" icon from my quicklaunch, if I already have Opera open, it will just create a new tab. How do I get it to open in a new window? Better yet, is there a "disable tabbed browsing" box that I can untick (I seem to remember one in Firefox).

e: This is with the new Opera 10 beta 1.
e2: Checked and doublechecked. "Open Windows Instead of Tabs" is the thing.

Meroin fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 3, 2009

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Meroin posted:

With every new browser release, it becomes more and more frustrating to avoid using tabs. When I click the "O" icon from my quicklaunch, if I already have Opera open, it will just create a new tab. How do I get it to open in a new window? Better yet, is there a "disable tabbed browsing" box that I can untick (I seem to remember one in Firefox).

e: This is with the new Opera 10 beta 1.

It's almost as if you haven't looked at the tab options at all!

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
Want to simulate Google Chrome's tab-process look in Opera?

Click here for the full 1435x510 image.

removed title bar with winchanger, removed the menu bar with a shortcuts edit.
if I absolutely have to have my titlebar back for moving the window (which never happens), double tapping f11 brings it back, and then I kill the title bar again with a winchanger script that I have saved.

simple stuff, but I'm so anal about screen real estate and I can't believe its taken me this long to get it done.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

thrawn86 posted:

removed title bar with winchanger
My netbook and I thank you. Why did it never even occur to me to search for such a thing?

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

thrawn86 posted:

Want to simulate Google Chrome's tab-process look in Opera?

Click here for the full 1435x510 image.

removed title bar with winchanger, removed the menu bar with a shortcuts edit.
if I absolutely have to have my titlebar back for moving the window (which never happens), double tapping f11 brings it back, and then I kill the title bar again with a winchanger script that I have saved.

simple stuff, but I'm so anal about screen real estate and I can't believe its taken me this long to get it done.

just an update, I've replaced the opera shortcut on my taskbar with a small batch file to make my life easier when I have to restart, so I don't have to go digging into the command line to run this drat thing. type in your directories, save in notepad as a .bat and you're good to go. I think the timeout command only works in vista.

code:
@ECHO OFF
ECHO Killing Opera title bar in 5 seconds...
start /d "YOUR OPERA DIRECTORY HERE" opera.exe
start /d "YOUR WINCHANGER DIRECTORY HERE" winchanger.exe Window-ontop:cmd,0
timeout /T 5 /nobreak
start /d "YOUR WINCHANGER DIRECTORY HERE" winchanger.exe Window-Title:Opera,0
EXIT

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Now that I'm using the visual tabs (which are growing on me a little), it seems I'm forced to use the extender menu, the behavior of which I detest. I guess I'm too used to Firefox's extender where I can scroll the tabs if I move the mouse wheel by hovering over the tab bar.

I will also try out winchanger later. Sounds perfect.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Now that I'm using the visual tabs (which are growing on me a little), it seems I'm forced to use the extender menu, the behavior of which I detest. I guess I'm too used to Firefox's extender where I can scroll the tabs if I move the mouse wheel by hovering over the tab bar.

Tab management so far is terrible in Opera - extender and multiple rows flat out suck. Or management customization if you want to scrutinize. I'm being blunt, obviously, but to someone who regularly runs a plethora of tabs, I feel overlooked, seeing that Opera seems to think that users only tend to use a handful at a time. Hence my suggestions for Opera which I unfortunately can't write since my user name on their forums is my own full name, as I only use it for Opera Link/Sync.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 3, 2009

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I don't know; I run a stupid amount of tabs and just putting the tab-bar on the left side seems like it does everything I want it to do. My only real complaint is that it takes a while to close/open but it's not like I ever close it or reboot anyway.

For those using the beta, this visual tab thing is fully optional, right?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Lakitu7 posted:

Yes. All it is is just a draggable tab bar. When you drag it out, the visual tabs show up, if you've enabled it.

EDIT: Just saw something interesting in my bookmarks. Apparently, some entries have letters in parenthesis following the names (i.e. (G)). Anyone know what this is about?

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 3, 2009

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Lakitu7 posted:

I don't know; I run a stupid amount of tabs and just putting the tab-bar on the left side seems like it does everything I want it to do. My only real complaint is that it takes a while to close/open but it's not like I ever close it or reboot anyway.
I used to do that, then I realized the Window panel is both more space efficient and usable once you have enough tabs open.

Lakitu7 posted:

Yes.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I use Opera quite a bit and really like it but I was wondering is there any way to get the tabs to work in the same way as they do in Internet Explorer 7? On there I can middle click three different links and they'll appear next to the active tab in the order I clicked them so 1, 2 and 3. The only options I've been able to see with Opera is "open new tab next to active", which will have a similar effect but the order is 3, 2, 1.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Plorkyeran posted:

I used to do that, then I realized the Window panel is both more space efficient and usable once you have enough tabs open.

Hmm, this looks good for saving space, but is there any way to sort it besides alpha-by-title? I'd like it to just be in some order-opened / user-specified order like the tabbar, so I don't have to look for certain tabs in different places each time.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
If you click on the column title the sorting cycles between sorted by name (desc), sorted by name (asc) and sorted by tab order.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Oh, I see. That's a little odd but it works. Now I wish I could scroll it to the left just a little bit instead of having ~1cm wasted space for an indent, but it's still an improvement over the tab bar.

Thanks.

[edit] On the plus side, this is also convenient to turn on/off with F4 or the little button.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 4, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

The autoupdater has failed on both machines I tried it on. Windows 7 32bit machine and Vista 64 machine. Apparently, it does not like UAC.

Thanks again Opera.

Edit: New speed dial look is nice, tab bar is kinda cool but takes up way too much space. Good to know they didn't fix Bumper Stickers on facebook, either.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 4, 2009

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Firefox scrunches the tabs together just like Opera for me, and I don't see anything about extender menus in the options. It would be awesome if you could just scroll instead of going through a menu, how do you enable that?

Also, I would use the visual tabs if they could be seen on the left, instead of just the top.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Anunnaki posted:

Firefox scrunches the tabs together just like Opera for me, and I don't see anything about extender menus in the options. It would be awesome if you could just scroll instead of going through a menu, how do you enable that?

It scrunches them together but if you open enough beyond that, it'll add the arrows on either side of the tabs. Then, all you do is hover your cursor over it and scroll with the wheel.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sergeant Hobo posted:

whats wrong with opera mouse gesture tab scrolling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Blodskur posted:

I use Opera quite a bit and really like it but I was wondering is there any way to get the tabs to work in the same way as they do in Internet Explorer 7? On there I can middle click three different links and they'll appear next to the active tab in the order I clicked them so 1, 2 and 3. The only options I've been able to see with Opera is "open new tab next to active", which will have a similar effect but the order is 3, 2, 1.

preferences -> advanced -> shortcuts - > middle click options
"open in background tab"