Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

aliencowboy posted:

Check out "Philosophy of Winter" by Forest Silence. I wouldn't go so far as to call it ambient, but the spacey sounding keyboards certainly make it nice and relaxing. :coolfish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9-7z96ECBM

This is badass, it's kind of like Det Som Engang Var

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Secks posted:

Marduk hasn't shown up to the first half of Blackenedfest because of Visa issues:

So apparently there is hope.

Let's hope this gets figured out in the next week or so...

Colonelfarva posted:

Ihsahn (of Emperor) is a music teacher, too.

Didn't he all but drop out of the scene because of his daughter too?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
As if it hasn't been debated here before...

I present the black metal thread with my Top 10 Most Essential Black Metal Albums of all time! :black101:

1. (1982) Venom - Black Metal
2. (1984) Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
3. (1987) Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
4. (1992) Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
5. (1993) Burzum - Filosofem
6. (1993) Immortal - Pure Holocaust
7. (1994) Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
8. (1996) Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
9. (1997) Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
10. (2000) Gorgoroth - Incipit Satan

Discuss, debate or dispute!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Maybe I will dispute. If we're limited to ten I'd say these are the essential black metal albums in no particular order:

Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Venom - Black Metal
Sodom - In the Sign of Evil
Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
Sarcofago - I.N.R.I
Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids
Bathory - The Return...
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Necromantia/Varathron - Black Arts/The Everlasting Sin

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
This has been done countless times before, so I'm not even going to bother putting forth a list since it essentially devolves into post your favourite. Gorgoroth and Satyricon belong nowhere near such a list though, and that's really the wrong Emperor album, if you must have them present.

[edit] It's too Norwegian centric too. Despite what the propaganda machine may want you to believe, there's far better (and older) acts from different countries

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 4, 2009

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
1. (2007) Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum
2. (2007) Shining - V - Halmstad
3. (2001) Thorns - Thorns
4. (2003) Enslaved - below the lights
5. (2001) Emperor - Prometheus - The Discipline of Fire and Demise
6. (2004) Leviathan - Tentacles of Whorror
7. (2002) Satyricon - Volcano
8. (2001) Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
9. (1996) Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia
10. (1996) Burzum - Filosofem

Ten isn't enough.

Honorable mention (2007) Blut aus Nord - Odinist

:buddy:

Edit: This is not a favorites list. Important poo poo happened on these albums.

Duck and burger fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 4, 2009

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Gr31lly posted:

This has been done countless times before, so I'm not even going to bother putting forth a list since it essentially devolves into post your favourite.

That wouldn't be my goal with this. I'm looking for the 10 (I know it's hard to narrow it down to only 10) essential albums that made a profound historical impact on the genre. It's not a favs list. Only a couple of those albums would actually make my favorites.

Edit: One thing would be for sure, Norway and the early 90's would be centric to this list.

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 4, 2009

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Has anyone else heard the new 1349 album? It's really... Not what I expected at all. They even cover Pink Floyd's "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun".

And once again the internet legion of basement-warriors show their appreciation of change and innovation, the album currently has an average score of 2.06 with 49 ratings at rateyourmusic.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

ElectricWizard posted:

Has anyone else heard the new 1349 album? It's really... Not what I expected at all. They even cover Pink Floyd's "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun".

And once again the internet legion of basement-warriors show their appreciation of change and innovation, the album currently has an average score of 2.06 with 49 ratings at rateyourmusic.

2 pages back, but yeah, that seems to be the general consensus.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

ElectricWizard posted:

Since rateyourmusic is almost always universally wrong, I think I'm gonna check this out now.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Edit: One thing would be for sure, Norway and the early 90's would be centric to this list.

And that would be why? Mercyful Fate, Tormentor, Mortuary Drape, Master's Hammer, Root, Mystifier, Blasphemy, Sarcofago, Von, Sodom, Death SS and Bulldozer are all arguably just as important as any band you've listed, and probably more important in most cases.

The LLN are influential in terms of the closed-off elitism and intentional restriction of material availability.

In terms of raw evolution of sound, bands like Throne of Ahaz, Belial and Profanum also must be considered.

Duck and burger posted:

1. (2007) Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum

Please describe exactly what is so important about an album made up of riffs Kvist already used to perfection on Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Gr31lly posted:

And that would be why? Mercyful Fate, Tormentor, Mortuary Drape, Master's Hammer, Root, Mystifier, Blasphemy, Sarcofago, Von, Sodom, Death SS and Bulldozer are all arguably just as important as any band you've listed, and probably more important in most cases.

In my opinion, not recognizing this would be the same as dismissing Florida or Sweden to the early 90's death metal scene or even Seattle in the 90's grunge movement. Several of the bands you've listed (Sarcofago, Sodom and Bulldozer) could be considered more impactive to the speed or thrash scene. While their influences are undoubtable, Mercyful Fate could be just as easily considered influential to thrash or power metal, not just black metal alone. Von would be an obvious inclusion to the list since they were probably one of the first US black metal bands, but since I'm limiting the list to just 10, I would think bands like Darkthrone, Mayhem and Immortal would win out over the lesser known groups like Tormentor, Blasphemy or Death SS. Maybe not.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

In my opinion, not recognizing this would be the same as dismissing Florida or Sweden to the early 90's death metal scene or even Seattle in the 90's grunge movement.

You've got the opposite problem. You're missing the forest for the trees. To take your example, what you're doing is talking about black metal in a way which would directly equate to talking about death metal while pretending only the swedish scene actually counted.

I also missed bands such as Vulcano out. Go look up interviews with Fenriz and others, hell check out his "best of oldschool black metal" album for his opinion on the influential bands. You can hear riffs directly lifted from Root and others in the material of the norwegian bands.

To call Tormentor and Blasphemy amongst others "lesser known bands" doesn't dismiss their influence, which is apparently what you're trying to guage; it just promotes a view that is exactly what your self-imposed restrictions of geography and original list already suggest - you're ignorant.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 4, 2009

J72826
May 18, 2009
Never, and I mean never really liked any of that "Norwegian black metal". And most of the time, if it's released before 2000, I don't like it either.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Most essential:

1. Weakling - Dead As Dreams
2. Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
3. Negură Bunget - Om
4. Windir - Likferd
5. Immortal - Pure Holocaust
6. Enslaved - Eld
7. Ulver - Bergtatt
8. Burzum - Det Som Engang Var
9. Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
10. Wolves In The Throne Room - Two Hunters (yes, I said it :xd:)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
pyf definition of essential

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Guys please stop posting lists of albums.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

J72826 posted:

Never, and I mean never really liked any of that "Norwegian black metal". And most of the time, if it's released before 2000, I don't like it either.

Always funny that when the negative opinions start to get thrown around people come out of the woodwork to go "Yeah I never liked ANY of that poo poo, nuh-uh, look how I'm elite"

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

het posted:

Guys please stop posting lists of albums.

Can we at least post our favorite Black Metal pseudonyms? My vote is for Demonaz.

Think
Sep 20, 2005

^^
Gonna go with "Goat Pervertor"

catbread.jpg posted:

Most essential:

1. Weakling - Dead As Dreams
2. Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
3. Negură Bunget - Om
4. Windir - Likferd
5. Immortal - Pure Holocaust
6. Enslaved - Eld
7. Ulver - Bergtatt
8. Burzum - Det Som Engang Var
9. Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
10. Wolves In The Throne Room - Two Hunters (yes, I said it :xd:)

These are all extremely solid albums but to call them the 10 most essential bm albums is a bit much.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

scrabbleship posted:

Can we at least post our favorite Black Metal pseudonyms? My vote is for Demonaz.

Helle Mel På De Kristne from Kvikksølvgutene. Translates to "Pour flour on the Christians".

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Does the new Manes track mean that they're going to play black metal again? I liked them a lot better before they decided they were halfway between Ulver and Anathema with the talent of neither.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Is anyone else here planning to attend Under The Black Sun this year? Can hardly wait to catch Lifelover live, for their second time ever! :D

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Good too see Sodom on atleast one list. The stuff they put out in 1984 is miles ahead of its time.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Gr31lly posted:

Please describe exactly what is so important about an album made up of riffs Kvist already used to perfection on Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike.

Examples?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Misogynist posted:

pyf definition of essential

Meaning of the utmost importance to black metal in regards to being pivitol albums in the history of the music or an album that represents a strong influence on defining the future of genre. Maybe the "10 Most Defining Albums of Black Metal" would have been a better suited title. Part of the challenge to me was listing only 10.

I'm not publishing my own list to be the end all result, just to be compared, considered and debated against other suggestions on this thread. I was just interested in hearing opinions. Not to simply piss on or dimiss their suggestions without debating their importance - that would be ignorant!

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

ElectricWizard posted:

It is not innovative. It is just bad. Four years of waiting for about 20 minutes of actual songs? If they were played at the speed of prior albums it would probably be around 10 minutes. Uncreation? Uncreate this album!

scrabbleship posted:

Would probably have to be "Blargh" or "Insulter of Jesus Christ!"

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 23, 2020

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

ElectricWizard posted:

Is anyone else here planning to attend Under The Black Sun this year? Can hardly wait to catch Lifelover live, for their second time ever! :D

I'd love to go just to see Darkspace and Urfaust. Wish they would come to the US.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Gr31lly posted:

Wha? Kunsten... and Fas... don't sound anything alike.

Kunsten... is extremely melodic and more standard-bm riff based. Fas... is chaotic, atonal blackened death metal. I don't see how you can make the comparison at all. Maybe, maybe I could see you comparing Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice with it, but even that's a stretch.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Oldstench posted:

Wha? Kunsten... and Fas... don't sound anything alike.

Kunsten... is extremely melodic and more standard-bm riff based. Fas... is chaotic, atonal blackened death metal. I don't see how you can make the comparison at all. Maybe, maybe I could see you comparing Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice with it, but even that's a stretch.

I wouldn't call DSO chaotic. Violent and wide-ranging, but not chaotic. There are also quite a few very nice-sounding passages based on triadic harmony (I wouldn't even call them chromatic [with all the connotations of that word, c.f. Max Reger], but they're also certainly not atonal). In fact, tracks 3 and 5 start with very voluptuous melodies. The approach to composition seems more melodic than harmonic (that's the nature of atonalism, anyway) and they can really just put poo poo together. It is good stuff.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Duck and burger posted:

:words:

FYI I wasn't putting it down. I greatly enjoy it. I also was just trying to shoehorn it into a three-adjective-or-less description, so chaotic won out.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Flames of Hell - Fire and Steel is my favorite Icelandic Venom-inspired first wave black metal album.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I wish Fenriz would loving just release Space Lab because I love his two albums for Neptune Towers. :mad:

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Gvaz posted:

I wish Fenriz would loving just release Space Lab because I love his two albums for Neptune Towers. :mad:

I still haven't heard any Neptune Towers. Somehow the titles "Caravans to Empire Algol" and "Transmissions From Empire Algol" (iirc) have an amazing mystical air to them. I know I was a huge geek like everyone else here but the titles have that nice air of mystery and discovery that, say, RPGs had when you were like 12.

And this is me saying this purely based on the titles without having any of the music, mind.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Munky from KORN posted:

Flames of Hell - Fire and Steel is my favorite Icelandic Venom-inspired first wave black metal album.

Wow thanks for setting me onto this. Its great stuff! Vocals are great, especially given they are from 87.

http://www.myspace.com/flamesofhelll

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Kaiho posted:

I still haven't heard any Neptune Towers. Somehow the titles "Caravans to Empire Algol" and "Transmissions From Empire Algol" (iirc) have an amazing mystical air to them. I know I was a huge geek like everyone else here but the titles have that nice air of mystery and discovery that, say, RPGs had when you were like 12.

And this is me saying this purely based on the titles without having any of the music, mind.

It's embarrassingly bad, though, much like just about every other experimental side project (or intro or interlude) by a metal musician I've heard so far. It's amazing how little ambience he has managed to pack into what's apparently supposed to be ambient music.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I somehow thought it would be, yes :shobon:

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

ElectricWizard posted:

Has anyone else heard the new 1349 album? It's really... Not what I expected at all.

It's like a little clutch of experiments more than a coherant album, but it's well worth listening to and contains some excellent material (Uncreation is the best thing they've ever recorded imho) which you should check out if only to see 1349 doing something different. I always found them rather uninteresting before this album and I'm glad they're departing from the formula.

The fact that it appears to be causing the internet's kvlter-than-thov brigade to collectively poo poo itself with indignation also endears it to me somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Caucasus Belli posted:

It's like a little clutch of experiments more than a coherant album, but it's well worth listening to and contains some excellent material (Uncreation is the best thing they've ever recorded imho) which you should check out if only to see 1349 doing something different. I always found them rather uninteresting before this album and I'm glad they're departing from the formula.

The fact that it appears to be causing the internet's kvlter-than-thov brigade to collectively poo poo itself with indignation also endears it to me somewhat.

If you think anyone who listens to 1349 is part of a "kvlter-than-thov" brigade...