Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

thrawn86 posted:

preferences -> advanced -> shortcuts - > middle click options
"open in background tab"

That's what was selected by default with me. Didn't help. I still can't get current tab, first middle clicked link, second middle clicked link and third middle clicked link like I do in Internet Explorer 7. I can only get either current tab, third middle clicked link, second middle clicked link and first middle clicked link if I have "open new tab next to active" enabled, or if I have it disabled I'll get first middle clicked link, second middle clicked link and third middle clicked link except they'll be at the end of the row of tabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

thrawn86 posted:

whats wrong with opera mouse gesture tab scrolling?

If you're talking about holding the right mouse button and using the scrollwheel, I honestly forgot about that since I don't use it much, if ever.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
oh i see what you mean now. I have no idea, its easy enough to scroll through tabs so I don't worry about what order they're in

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sergeant Hobo posted:

If you're talking about holding the right mouse button and using the scrollwheel, I honestly forgot about that since I don't use it much, if ever.

:aaaaa:

I just learned something new today!

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Sergeant Hobo posted:

/boggle.

its the single greatest mouse gesture there is. A part of me dies every time I see someone with 8 firefox WINDOWS open, manually clicking in between each of them AND clicking on back/forward buttons instead of using mouse side buttons or the freaking backspace key (on a laptop anyway).

also, nerd rage at people who don't use ctrl-tab and ctrl-t, for laptops.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

thrawn86 posted:

/boggle.

its the single greatest mouse gesture there is. A part of me dies every time I see someone with 8 firefox WINDOWS open, manually clicking in between each of them AND clicking on back/forward buttons instead of using mouse side buttons or the freaking backspace key (on a laptop anyway).

also, nerd rage at people who don't use ctrl-tab and ctrl-t, for laptops.

Know any way to put it in tab order instead of MRU? That's why I don't use it.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Preferences -> Advanced -> Tabs -> When cycling through tabs etc.. I personally prefer "[In tab order] Without showing list".

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Opera has stopped me installing the touchpad drivers on my Eee, as the default W7 ones allow me to three-finger swipe to do gestures and the Elantech ones don't. Left for back, right for forward, down for close, up for refresh. Eventually I'll remap all the other hotkeys I use even infrequently to various up/down/up combos and my need for a keyboard will be non-existent. Bliss.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

thrawn86 posted:

its the single greatest mouse gesture there is.

Yeah, I just switched around the tab settings. I have it so that it won't show the list when I use it and I'm starting to like it a whole lot more now.

quote:

A part of me dies every time I see someone with 8 firefox WINDOWS open, manually clicking in between each of them AND clicking on back/forward buttons instead of using mouse side buttons or the freaking backspace key (on a laptop anyway).

This pretty much describes my parents. They were on IE 6 for the longest time and were used to having multiple windows open (which seems to be the root-cause of the whole multiple windows thing). Then they got a new Vista laptop and had to understand IE 7's tabs. I think my mom has it better than my dad does at this point, since she has it set to open up 5 tabs everytime IE 7 and now IE 8 opens. I've been personally trying to push them over to Chrome but no luck so far.

er0k
Nov 21, 2002

i like ham.
so you can't drag links from the address bar onto the toolbar anymore, huh?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

er0k posted:

so you can't drag links from the address bar onto the toolbar anymore, huh?

Hold shift(?) to do it now, prevents accidental draggings.

er0k
Nov 21, 2002

i like ham.

Casao posted:

Hold shift(?) to do it now, prevents accidental draggings.

that moves the whole address field for me, doesn't add a bookmark to the toolbar

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

er0k posted:

that moves the whole address field for me, doesn't add a bookmark to the toolbar

Seems to be a bug, since it still says "Hold shift to drag and drop links to the toolbar"

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

er0k posted:

Grab the favicon, hold shift, move to any location. I'm still using them.

er0k
Nov 21, 2002

i like ham.

Anunnaki posted:

Grab the favicon, hold shift, move to any location. I'm still using them.

ahh, so you have to hold shift *after* the click and drag. Thanks!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sm8000 posted:

:aaaaa:

I just learned something new today!

gently caress I love opera. Using it for I don't know how many years now and still finding out neat tricks with it.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I've been getting a number of crashes for random things I do (everything from subscribing to a RSS feed to closing a tab). I've been submitting crash reports; thank God for the session saving.

So how often has the 10 beta crashed for you all?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Sergeant Hobo posted:

I've been getting a number of crashes for random things I do (everything from subscribing to a RSS feed to closing a tab). I've been submitting crash reports; thank God for the session saving.

Only once. Though I've had some instances of temporary hanging.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Whenever i close Opera. That might be related to my 1.5 GB mail store though.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Has anyone else noticed that websites will often get confused about which country you're browsing from if you visit the site using Opera?

For example, even though I'm in the U.S., Microsoft's Bing search engine thinks that I'm browsing from China, eBay thinks I'm browsing from somewhere in Europe, and MegaUpload thinks that I'm browsing from Germany.

Meanwhile, none of this confusion occurs if I'm using, say, Safari on the same computer with the same IP address.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I was wondering if anyone else had this issue:

I run into trouble when I click on a dropdown menu/box, and then hit a key to select an item, and then hit Enter to activate it. The link/option doesn't "activate" correctly.

For example, when I use the forums dropdown box at the bottom of a page, I click the dropdown menu where it says "Please select one:"

When I press "U" for User Control Panel, the correct item is selected. However, when I hit Enter, it takes me to an invalid forum. It's most annoying when I'm entering my address at online stores, and I'm using the dropdown menu to select my state.

Does anyone else have this problem with Opera 10 beta (or alpha)? I had the same problem in alpha but I was hoping they'd fix it in beta.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

gret posted:

Has anyone else noticed that websites will often get confused about which country you're browsing from if you visit the site using Opera?

For example, even though I'm in the U.S., Microsoft's Bing search engine thinks that I'm browsing from China, eBay thinks I'm browsing from somewhere in Europe, and MegaUpload thinks that I'm browsing from Germany.

Meanwhile, none of this confusion occurs if I'm using, say, Safari on the same computer with the same IP address.

Do you have Turbo on? I'm just guessing but that would be a logical cause of issues like this.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Lakitu7 posted:

Do you have Turbo on? I'm just guessing but that would be a logical cause of issues like this.

No. It's also been a problem for me on previous versions of Opera, IIRC.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

gret posted:

Holy crap. I noticed the locale swap for Bing and eBay but I thought right up until the very moment I read this that MegaUpload was a German file-hosting site. I feel like such an internet philistine now.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can anyone track down an "Open in Chrome" bookmarklet/button for me? My Google-fu is weak.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

ufarn posted:

Can anyone track down an "Open in Chrome" bookmarklet/button for me? My Google-fu is weak.

http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/open-in-firefox-internet-explorer

Second result for '"open in chrome" opera'.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Kameleon posted:

http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/open-in-firefox-internet-explorer

Second result for '"open in chrome" opera'.
Yes, but I am lazy and want drag and drop. :colbert: :P

Fishmasher
Apr 22, 2002
With Firefox I have an addon called Scrollbar Anywhere (Hold the right-mouse button and move the mouse to scroll). By default in Opera you can click the middle mouse button and it's similar, but feels floaty. With Scrollbar Anywhere it's like you're gripping the page and it's satisfying. Does anybody know what I'm talking about and how to create that in Opera with a mouse gesture or something?

Fishmasher fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 7, 2009

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
I'm wanting to like Opera enough to use it regularly, but I'm having problems with scrolling. It's scrolling twice as many lines per scroll as is listed in the Mouse settings in Control Panel. As in, if it's set to scroll 3 lines, Opera scrolls 6. Meanwhile, Firefox scrolls 3 like it's supposed to.

Is there any hidden setting for this? I'm using the 10 beta by the way. And no Logitech SetPoint or anything like that, just the regular old Mouse settings in Control Panel.

ynef
Jun 12, 2002

gret posted:

Have you set Opera to prefer sites to show in your language? I would suppose that English is the standard, so why it would be confused is beyond me, but it's something to try.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Fishmasher posted:

With Firefox I have an addon called Scrollbar Anywhere (Hold the right-mouse button and move the mouse to scroll). By default in Opera you can click the middle mouse button and it's similar, but feels floaty. With Scrollbar Anywhere it's like you're gripping the page and it's satisfying. Does anybody know what I'm talking about and how to create that in Opera with a mouse gesture or something?

You should be able to do that with ctrl+alt+drag. Honestly though, it'd be better to get used to opera's middle-click scroll since it really doesn't suck like firefox's.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

ufarn posted:

Yes, but I am lazy and want drag and drop. :colbert: :P

wow you really are lazy aren't you

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Just came to whine that Opera choked, losing my entire session of tabs along with it.

Guess it's a beta and all. :smith:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

OP updated with Opera 10.0 Beta 1 details and links.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I have a slightly strange issue: When I scroll through a page (with mouse wheel, arrow button, or space bar, etc), I notice a faint sound through my speakers. The sound occurs whether I have it connected via HDMI (to my TV monitor) or via a stereo mini-plug cable (to external speakers). I've found that when I turn off smooth scrolling it goes away. Firefox and IE don't give me this sound, either with or without smooth scrolling.

I'm using Opera 10 beta on Windows XP (however, it also occurred with 10 alpha).

I haven't been able to test it on another computer, but I'm curious whether anyone else has noticed this.

lowcrabdiet fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 9, 2009

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Open your sound card mixer and mute anything you're not currently using, even if you don't have one: e.g. mic, cd, aux, line-in, any tv tuners, etc. Hope that it goes away. If not, I think it's just noisy hardware and you live with it or buy new hardware. I used to have this on one laptop. I mostly just grew to enjoy it, but I did eventually find that muting the tv card audio made it like 10% its original strength.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I muted it and the sound is still there. Like you said, it's probably just noisy hardware. I cranked the volume up on the speakers and now I can hear it on Firefox and IE too.

It's kind of funny that Opera makes a scraping sound, while Firefox makes the same scraping sound but at a lower volume. IE makes a screeching sound at the same volume as Firefox, all tested on the same page.

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

NashAsh posted:

It's kind of funny that Opera makes a scraping sound, while Firefox makes the same scraping sound but at a lower volume. IE makes a screeching sound at the same volume as Firefox, all tested on the same page.

Does turning "Smooth Scrolling" on or off change the sound? :)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
from my experience, disabling smooth scrolling will change it more to a peep peep peep instead of a peeeeeeeeep :)

NashAsh posted:

I muted it and the sound is still there. Like you said, it's probably just noisy hardware. I cranked the volume up on the speakers and now I can hear it on Firefox and IE too.

Is it still there when you mute absolutely *everything*? Or is that what you meant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
The call is coming from inside your COMPUTER!!!!!