Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Yeah that method usually doesn't work if you are replacing parts other than the timing belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Pissingintowind posted:

The $100 jack and stands deal that they have once in a while is much better, although the jack is somewhat heavy.

The jacking end is 4" tall or so and tough to get under the low body pieces of certain cars. I had to jack my car up under the front crossmember because the end of the jack doesn't fit under the side skirts. Also the release point on the handle between "holding pressure" and "oh poo poo my car is falling like a rock" is razor loving thin and actually pretty difficult to turn right at that interface. So you usually end up turning it too far and going into "car is dropping like a rock" territory when the handle breaks free.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Still probably my favorite thread on the forum. I've made progress to getting my CNC mill going and just found out (very very disappointingly) that I may not be able to use my ER32 collet sets and IDK if I can even find endmill holders for the weird rear end kwik change 200 taper thats on the spindle.

Also, 20% Harbor Freight Bump:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...66&keycode=0000

Good this weekend.

If anyone signs up for their mailing list and gets the long rear end one, the one that's good for like three months that'd be awesome, there's stuff there I want tonight.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

RealKyleH posted:

Also, 20% Harbor Freight Bump:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...66&keycode=0000

Do they have any %off entire purchase? I don't think I have any big items I want at the moment.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

ChiliMac posted:

Do they have any %off entire purchase? I don't think I have any big items I want at the moment.

It's more rare but does happen once or twice a year 20% off entire purchase.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
They used to run 10% off entire purchase as their "RetailD" flier but haven't for a little while.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
15% off your entire purchase at HF

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...45&keycode=0000

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
/\/\/\/\
thanks!!

Anyone have any experience with the cordless drills at HF?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

destructo posted:

/\/\/\/\
thanks!!

Anyone have any experience with the cordless drills at HF?

They're worth every penny. Get the warranty, you'll need it.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I bought their cordless 18v (i think it was) set to do some fairly light work and man what a useless bunch of poo poo. I wont ever but a cordless thing at HF again.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Was it the blue one or the orange one?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Blue.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
Confirmed, piece of poo poo.

Works fine if you just want a huge cordless screwdriver maybe.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I need to cut some exhaust pipes while they're still installed. A hacksaw, or die-grinder or standard tubing cutter will not fit up in where they are at.

My brother was telling me I should get a tubing cutter that uses a chain. I know I've seen what he's talking about but don't know what to call it. I searched for "cutter" on harborfreight.com and didn't see anything.

I did find this knockoff sawzall for $40.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=4095

Would this cut through exhaust pipe with the right blade? If I'm going to spend money on a tool for this I might as well spend it on something I'll use more than once.

Unless that chained cutter thing is only like $5 or something.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I think he's talking about a cable saw. It's a string you run around a tree branch and pull on the handles to saw. They make them that can handle metal.

A sawzall would work a lot better. That HF one is only 4amp though. this one would be much better for the price. If you can afford the extra, this would actually not stall on everything.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 17, 2009

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Wagonburner posted:

I need to cut some exhaust pipes while they're still installed. A hacksaw, or die-grinder or standard tubing cutter will not fit up in where they are at.

My brother was telling me I should get a tubing cutter that uses a chain. I know I've seen what he's talking about but don't know what to call it. I searched for "cutter" on harborfreight.com and didn't see anything.
He means one of these:

It's like a chain wrench for oil filters, but with blades on the insides. I don't think they're at all cheap, but you might be able to hire one. The sawzall seems like the sensible option.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

oxbrain posted:

If you can afford the extra, this would actually not stall on everything.

But, the problem with a better knockoff Sawzall is that a real one is about $85.

:colbert:

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I bought my Milwaukee sawzall like new more than 3-4 years ago for $75 at a garage sale. It has served me awesome in everything from metal cutting to making short work out of yard work with a long blade.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I ended up borrowing a craftsman "sawzall" from a friend. It's 10 amp so hell yeah, only problem is that it's huge, I'm going to have to jack the truck up some I guess to get it in there without the ground getting in the way.

Tomorrow's project I guess. it's 11 right now and the saw I'm sure would piss off the neighbors, the v8 with open pipes would bother them more I guess, those types of things bother normal people right? This is what I've heard anyway. I know there is absolutely no way in hell I'm going to be able to resist the temptation to fire it up with open pipes the very minute I'm done cutting and before the new pipe goes in.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 18, 2009

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Question for professionals - who here has starting switching over their air tools to cordless? I'm an autobody tech so my main air tools are mainly my ratchet, drill, air hammer, impact, die grinder, and cut off wheel. I was talking to another tech who had switched over and loved it. He said he saved a lot of time not loving around with an air hose and could easily bring tools home from work and not have to worry about maintaining an air compressor and such, or oiling his tools, etc. Said he's never had to worry about not having enough torque either. Batteries charge in an hour and last fairly long and if you ever have an issue with one tool running out of juice you could just get a second battery on standby and charge the other while using it.

I think I'll probably try it out myself, but I'd love to hear from anyone else who's done it too and if they've had any issues with it.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I'm not a pro, well not any more. I did do professional car audio installs but that is a little different. I feel that the tools you should have as air tools are impact gun and cut off wheel. Other than that, definitely go cordless. Drills I used 90% of the time just to make things quicker, but the main one I used was a tiny Li-Ion "screw-driver" from Snap-On. If it needed more torque than that I broke out the Dewalt 12V. As you work more, you'll learn what works better/faster for you.

Sep 23, 2008

by Ozma
I love my 3/8" air ratchet. I use it all the time. I'm not sure there really is a cordless replacement to it.

But even most of what I do with a 1/2" impact can be done with a cordless now. I didn't believe it, until a friend with some dinky looking Makita cordless impact outran my air impact. Ridiculous.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I dont have air tools, so I get by with electric, and its not so bad. batteries running down is a drag, but hand tools still work when batteries die.

The only reason I would really want air are for painting and leakdown testing.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

944 posted:

I love my 3/8" air ratchet. I use it all the time. I'm not sure there really is a cordless replacement to it.

But even most of what I do with a 1/2" impact can be done with a cordless now. I didn't believe it, until a friend with some dinky looking Makita cordless impact outran my air impact. Ridiculous.

http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/IS/Category.aspx-am_en-30842

The 3/8 cordless ratchet from Ingersoll Rand has 70lbs of torque, which is equivalent to most 1/2. They also have a 1/4 one too. They have an impact capable of putting out 360lb and weighs only 6 pounds WITH the battery. That's pretty impressive. Pretty much, their entire lineup would replace most of my tools except my air hammer, but I can find other solutions for that from other companies like DeWalt I think. I'll have to choose very carefully though, because I'll want something that doesn't vibrate much or make a poo poo ton of noise.

Sep 23, 2008

by Ozma

Naky posted:

http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/IS/Category.aspx-am_en-30842

The 3/8 cordless ratchet from Ingersoll Rand has 70lbs of torque, which is equivalent to most 1/2. They also have a 1/4 one too.

Now that's pretty awesome. And it looks like it can be had for less than a decent air driven one.

drat you. Now I have to buy more tools.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
gently caress. I was about to go buy something big at HF today, and I see that the 20% coupon expired yesterday. Goddammit. Anyone have a new one?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
My friend's Snap-On electric impact is waaaay more powerful than my Snap-On air impact connected to a 33 gallon Craftsman compressor at 100 psi.

My other friend's 200 gallon Snap-On compressor turns my air impact into an unstoppable force with something like 200 psi behind it.

If I had it to buy again I would have gone cordless impact since then I could take it anywhere.

Car magazines have the 15 and 20% HF coupons pretty much every month.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Is there anyplace I can get S-shape/Halfmoon (S-shape would probably be better) wrenches individually? I'm trying to remove the bolts that connect my transfer case to my transmission, but the top two are a bitch. See #11 here and picture it in a transmission tunnel. There is absolutely no way to get a regular wrench or ratchet anywhere up there, but I'm thinking I might have enough space to fit a 17mm S wrench up there.

Problem is, I can't loving find individual ones anywhere. Crappy places like Canadian Tire don't even have 17mm in their cheapo sets even though it's the standard flat width for M10 bolts. Gearwrench has really nice looking ones, but I don't want to shell out 150 bucks to use one wrench.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Cheap wrench + torch = any shaped wrench you want.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Craftsman wrench + torch = any shape wrench you want and it changes back in the store

I saw that on American Hotrod once.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I can't tell you how many times I've reshaped a wrench and accidentally tapped the oxygen :downs:

three times.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My harbor freight aluminum racing jack has started to make a god-awful noise when it gets around 13" or 14" high, then continues to make the sound when you lower the car with the jack. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do in terms of maintenance with this jack, it's the first jack that I actually use all the time because it's so quick and easy (today used it to jack the car up so I could polish the hood without bending over so much - I'm tall and my car is low).

Is there something I should be doing to keep it in good shape? Bleeding the fluid or something? I can't find my manual for the jack anywhere.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
You might have ovaled out a sleeve bearing or pivot shaft. Go up too high and it binds and grinds, at some point coming down it will pop back.

I'd throw some oil in any pivot you can get to and wait for the jack to go on sale again. It's not a $400 serviceable jack, it's a $70 throwaway.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Now that I've gotten my transfer case off (ended up going through the shifter console with some U-joints + extensions), I need a transmission jack. Problem is they seem to be ridiculously expensive here. Since the hydraulic jacks are princess auto are retarded capacities (1 ton(!) tranny jack, 500 bucks) I've been looking at the scissor style - http://www.princessauto.com/shop-garage/repair-equipment/lifting-devices/1030002-transmission/differential-jack?keyword=transmission

Has anyone use these before with any success? I only plan to use it twice (take it off, put it on, never touch it again).

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Try using a transmission jack adapter?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39152

I've never used one, but I honestly am considering getting one since I've had to remove my transmission 3 times before.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ASSTASTIC posted:

Try using a transmission jack adapter?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39152

I've never used one, but I honestly am considering getting one since I've had to remove my transmission 3 times before.

I was looking at those, but my jack has a 5 inch saddle.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

I'm sure you could rent one for fairly cheap.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
EDIT: Redacted, I am sick with some Type A flu and angry.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Crustashio posted:

I've been looking at the scissor style - http://www.princessauto.com/shop-garage/repair-equipment/lifting-devices/1030002-transmission/differential-jack?keyword=transmission

Has anyone use these before with any success? I only plan to use it twice (take it off, put it on, never touch it again).

I've used one of these once doing the transmission on a dodge ram, was a bit of a pain in the rear end but it worked. It was also the middle of winter outside on a icy driveway so that may play into me hating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Can anyone recommend some good "bang for the buck" torque wrenches?

I figure it's about time I pick up one or two so I can start being more precise. How much should I be paying for each respective size?