Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
I have windows explorer pinned to the task bar and I'd like to have a bunch of my network folders pinned in the jump list.

It seems your not allowed to pin two shares residing on the same network device. Everytime I try to pin the second share, it replaces the first one, or clears the pinned list.

Has anyone experienced this or found a way around it?

EDIT: Just found a forum post that better explains the problem and gives a list of steps to reproduce.
Could have something to do with my NAS?

quote:

Okay, so I was having some issues before with pinning network files to the explorer item on the taskbar.

I can now replicate the bug happening. I want to see if it's just my setup or windows 7, so I'd be much obliged if someone can test this out for me as well.

First Scenario
1) First map a network drive.
2) Pin it to the explorer item on the taskbar by dragging it there.
3) Open up the destiation through the jump list.
4) navigate a couple of folders down and open any file.

What you should get is the network drive is no longer pinned. However, the folder where the file you just opened resided has taken it's place.

Second Scenario
1) Navigate to a network destination through windows explorer (not a mapped drive)
2) Pin a Folder from that network destination by gragging to the taskbar.
3) Pin another folder than resides inside a folder in step 2

Result: Folder pinned in step 2 is replaced by folder pinned in step 3

Spekkio fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

jeeves posted:

Also, those of you wanting to install from a USB key: don't bother, it is more of a pain than it is worth, especially if you are asking for help on how to get started with that. Just find/buy a single re-writable DVDR and let the iso burn completely each time. That's what I have been doing for the past few months.

I dunno, it's pretty straightforward and a much faster install than using DVD media. Once you have the tools, it takes all of 3 minutes to reformat/reinstall the media to the USB key.

(For XP)

Download MultiBoot_USB Tool
Run USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd
Option H > Format as NTFS
Mount Windows 7 ISO
Open command prompt
Go to Windows 7 ISO root, then \BOOT directory
run BOOTSECT /NT60 H: (where h: is the usb key)
Copy DVD files to USB key, reboot and install

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm running into an audio problem that I haven't had before. When I run vent alone, it's 100% volume. Then when I run both vent and TF2, the volume for each is 50%. What's happening here? My mic is also far, far quieter than it was in Vista, for no apparent reason. My gain is actually higher in w7 than it was in vista, yet the mic is quieter overall.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
Is there any shortcut to open up the taskbar preview pane for the current window that is focused? Kind of like an alt+tab but just between windows of the current applications? This would be so immensely useful.

edit: found ctrl+t - I can scroll to my taskbar item and then user arrow keys to navigate the preview... it would be nice to do it directly though.

supster fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 5, 2009

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

If you are getting permissions issues on Vista or newer, the easiest thing to do it first take ownership of the file/directory like was already shown.

I get a dialogue box that does that for me automatically. Which results in about a zillion "unidentified account" entries in the security tab. Is there anything that'll go through and get rid of those once the beta's over?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm running into an audio problem that I haven't had before. When I run vent alone, it's 100% volume. Then when I run both vent and TF2, the volume for each is 50%. What's happening here? My mic is also far, far quieter than it was in Vista, for no apparent reason. My gain is actually higher in w7 than it was in vista, yet the mic is quieter overall.

Check the mixer when you have TF2 running, you can set the volume for each application individually. Unfortunately, "individually" translates to "global volume when this application has focus". TF2 for some reason defaulted to 20% for me as well before I changed it. And it dragged Skype down with it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

billy cuts posted:

I dunno, it's pretty straightforward and a much faster install than using DVD media. Once you have the tools, it takes all of 3 minutes to reformat/reinstall the media to the USB key.

(For XP)

Download MultiBoot_USB Tool
Run USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd
Option H > Format as NTFS
Mount Windows 7 ISO
Open command prompt
Go to Windows 7 ISO root, then \BOOT directory
run BOOTSECT /NT60 H: (where h: is the usb key)
Copy DVD files to USB key, reboot and install

Yeah, installing from a USB key/drive is dirt rear end simple and REALLY fast.

I use the HP software (http://thenine.ca/makeboot.rar) and then just copy over/extract the iso to the root of the USB and boot from it. Hasn't failed me yet.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

LooseChanj posted:

I get a dialogue box that does that for me automatically. Which results in about a zillion "unidentified account" entries in the security tab. Is there anything that'll go through and get rid of those once the beta's over?

Using the highlighted option will go through and strip out erroneous permissions added to subdirectories and replace them with what you specify at that location. Generally you want to give permissions to security groups, never individual accounts unless you are working within your own profile. Just don't do something like do this at the root of your C:, since I am not sure if it will honor inheritances blocks and could completely screw up your filesystem.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Iblys
Sep 23, 2003

gay for iBag....i mean, disconnect and self-destruct one bullet at a time...

My mic is also far, far quieter than it was in Vista, for no apparent reason. My gain is actually higher in w7 than it was in vista, yet the mic is quieter overall.

In the volume control applet, if you go to "Advanced settings" for the microphone, is there a "+10db microphone boost" option that you're not using?

I'm just guessing. I still use XP.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

LooseChanj posted:

Well...yes, but it's probably better that nobody writes that utility. How could it know about SIDs from accounts besides the current running install, like a dual boot? It's a recipe for serious problems, and the benefit is that you don't see an account on an access list in an arcane dialog box you see maybe twice before you get it all working and rarely if ever after that?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

jeeves posted:

Now that SUN is dead and bought by another company don't expect it to get any faster anytime soon.

Also, those of you wanting to install from a USB key: don't bother, it is more of a pain than it is worth, especially if you are asking for help on how to get started with that. Just find/buy a single re-writable DVDR and let the iso burn completely each time. That's what I have been doing for the past few months.

Installing from a USB key couldn't be any easier. http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

Its a lovely ad ridden blog, but the information is there and I used this method to install build 7100 on my laptop yesterday.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Factor Mystic posted:

Well...yes, but it's probably better that nobody writes that utility. How could it know about SIDs from accounts besides the current running install, like a dual boot? It's a recipe for serious problems, and the benefit is that you don't see an account on an access list in an arcane dialog box you see maybe twice before you get it all working and rarely if ever after that?

The normal built-in security groups all share common SIDs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243330

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Just don't do something like do this at the root of your C:

I can't do something like that on my C: drive, it's fat16. :v:

Factor Mystic posted:

I'm actually just resigned to doing it by hand, but thought I'd mention it in case someone somewhere had thought of this and written just such a utility.

cre3d
Aug 11, 2004
the one and only

concise posted:

Installing from a USB key couldn't be any easier. http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

Its a lovely ad ridden blog, but the information is there and I used this method to install build 7100 on my laptop yesterday.

Cliff Notes:

# In Vista, run CMD.EXE and type the following. Note: This set of commands assumes that the USB flash drive is
addressed as "disk 1". You should double check that by doing a list of the disks (type "list disk") before cleaning
it. If you have multiple hard drives, like an SDFlash drive or a Multibay drive, you could end up wiping your second
drive using this command.

1. diskpart
2. select disk 1
3. clean
4. create partition primary
5. select partition 1
6. active
7. format fs=fat32
8. assign
9. exit

# Copy Windows Vista/7's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive
Simply issue the following command to start copying all the content from the Windows Vista/7 DVD to your newly
formatted high speed flash drive.

* xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Steam games trigger the voip stuff and it tries to lower the volume so you can hear people talking.

internetpizza
May 8, 2007

Oh man, grownups and their sleazy conversations!
Here's a strange bug you guys might be able to help me with:

After bringing my laptop out of a long standby period (overnight, usually), I'm faced with this weird bug where any icons in the OS will appear/disappear when I mouse over them.

Here's an example (cropped it down a bit, running 1680x1050 and didn't want to break tables):

The Firefox and Libraries/Explorer icons on the left will also disappear, leaving just the outlined button. When I mouse over the icons in the system tray, the icons will appear/disappear at random.

A restart fixes this, but only until I put it into standby overnight again. Any ideas?

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Tivac posted:

Steam games trigger the voip stuff and it tries to lower the volume so you can hear people talking.

This keeps coming up - any chance we can get it in the OP?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

If anyone was able to grab the Win 7 Realtek HD Audio driver R2.26, would you mind throwing it up on RapidShare or something or pointing me to a working link? I've been trying to download it from Realtek for two days and keep getting "550 Failed to change directory" ftp errors and timeouts.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!

JoeCitizen posted:

If anyone was able to grab the Win 7 Realtek HD Audio driver R2.26, would you mind throwing it up on RapidShare or something or pointing me to a working link? I've been trying to download it from Realtek for two days and keep getting "550 Failed to change directory" ftp errors and timeouts.

I'm getting the same problem. I always get my latest drivers from https://www.guru3d.com . It will no doubt show up there as soon as it's really available, anyway.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JoeCitizen posted:

If you can, check the release notes. 99% of the realtek driver releases are just updating the inf file to support new oem's using their chips, and contain zero changes to any of the binary files. You may not need the latest version at all.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

If you can, check the release notes. 99% of the realtek driver releases are just updating the inf file to support new oem's using their chips, and contain zero changes to any of the binary files. You may not need the latest version at all.

Yeah, I'm having issues in Win7 with the WHQL drivers, and they are about 5 revisions old so I figured updating would be a good place to start.

Treytor posted:

I always get my latest drivers from https://www.guru3d.com.

Thanks - I forgot about that site. R2.25 will have to do.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Is Windows 7 going to be a lot cheaper than anyone expected?

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20090606/best-buy-memo-leaks-windows-7-pricing/

quote:

Assuming the memo is legitimate and accurate, Best Buy will allow customers to preorder Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for $49.99 and Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for $99.99 from end of June.

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.

cre3d posted:

Cliff Notes:

# In Vista, run CMD.EXE and type the following. Note: This set of commands assumes that the USB flash drive is
addressed as "disk 1". You should double check that by doing a list of the disks (type "list disk") before cleaning
it. If you have multiple hard drives, like an SDFlash drive or a Multibay drive, you could end up wiping your second
drive using this command.

1. diskpart
2. select disk 1
3. clean
4. create partition primary
5. select partition 1
6. active
7. format fs=fat32
8. assign
9. exit

# Copy Windows Vista/7's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive
Simply issue the following command to start copying all the content from the Windows Vista/7 DVD to your newly
formatted high speed flash drive.

* xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\

what does this do other than format and partition the usb drive then copy the iso onto it? The most confusing thing of this whole "install from USB" nonsense is that some guides have you install the BartPE onto the key, then boot from that into the install, whereas others just have you copy the windows iso whole onto the key.

Isn't the bootsect command required? How else would the computer know the USB is supposed to be bootable?

Is there a easy to follow guide to compile a bunch of different windows installs onto one key? XP/Vista32/Vista64/Win7/Win764/Server2k3/WHS etc? That would be pretty kickass.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

soj89 posted:

Is there a easy to follow guide to compile a bunch of different windows installs onto one key? XP/Vista32/Vista64/Win7/Win764/Server2k3/WHS etc? That would be pretty kickass.

I think the problem is that there isn't a way to select the OS without moving all the files for the OS you want to install from a subdir into the root and then back when you are done. At least this is the only way I've been able to do it on my 16gb drive (haven't gone further back than Vista/2008).

You don't really need a new guide to do this, just follow one of the others and make subdirs for the extracted OS files. I put a directory in each of the extracted dirs to easily know where to put it back when I'm done (example: "_ Windows 7 RC x64" - the underscore keeps it on the top of the folder list in explorer).

If there is a better way, I'm all ears.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

soj89 posted:

what does this do other than format and partition the usb drive then copy the iso onto it? The most confusing thing of this whole "install from USB" nonsense is that some guides have you install the BartPE onto the key, then boot from that into the install, whereas others just have you copy the windows iso whole onto the key.

Isn't the bootsect command required? How else would the computer know the USB is supposed to be bootable?

"Active" is Windows code for "boot". No one knows why (well, I don't).

If you have a USB external harddrive, it's very easy to install from it - make a 4GB FAT32 partition in Computer management, set it as active, and tell your BIOS to boot from USB HDD.

Edit:
I actually got really bored this spring and made a multi-boot USB key that has Backtrack, GParted, and a partition for arbitrary 7 (or Vista) installs. The big trick is that Windows, for some reason, only allows devices marked as "Removable Media" to have 1 partition. If you add other partitions using Linux or something, Windows will only show the first one. I found some random utility that I don't trust very well to flip the removable media bit on the key, causing Windows to treat it exactly like an external hard drive. From there it's trivial to just copy the contents of the ISO to a FAT32 partition and mark it as active, as I said before.

The series of commands given above can also be done in Computer Management > Disk Management in Vista/7. It's been so long since I've messed with XP I'm not sure if you can work with USB keys from there in XP.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 5, 2009

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

But all I get is bitter and a nasty little rash
I ended up getting a free copy of Vista for singing up for something with Microsoft - anything like this happening for 7 yet?

205b
Mar 25, 2007

Mr. Stepmom posted:

I ended up getting a free copy of Vista for singing up for something with Microsoft - anything like this happening for 7 yet?

I think I read that there's a closed evaluation program going on for the RC.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Running the Release Candidate here. I'm having a strange issue with playing DVDs in Windows Media Player. On some DVDs, every twenty minutes or so the screen starts flashing different colors and WMP eventually crashes. I think it may have something to do with subtitles, since it happens with The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and Battle Royale, but I watched the entirety of Idiocracy and The Odd Couple with no problems. I don't have any third-party codecs installed. Has anyone else experienced this?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tivac posted:

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20090606/best-buy-memo-leaks-windows-7-pricing/

That would be awesome if the 'upgrade' wasn't basically crock of poo poo like with Vista. I am talking about the upgrade procedure specifically.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

soj89 posted:

All I do is format to NTFS and then unzip the ISO with 7zip directly to the USB stick. Works fine.

Valyyn
Feb 9, 2006

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards...
Not sure if everyone already knows this, but the release date has now been announced, in the UK at least.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8081003.stm

quote:

Windows 7, the next major release of the world's most popular operating system, will be officially available to the public on 22 October.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If that's the public (retail) release, then I bet that US based OEM's will get it earlier?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Joe Don Baker posted:

If that's the public (retail) release, then I bet that US based OEM's will get it earlier?

http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/06/02/windows-7-rtm-in-july-ga-on-october-22-2009.aspx

OEMs get it in late July when it hits RTM.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone managed to get Rainbow Six: Raven Shield to work on Windows 7?

I really like that game. :smith:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

kapinga posted:

"Active" is Windows code for "boot". No one knows why (well, I don't).

If you have a USB external harddrive, it's very easy to install from it - make a 4GB FAT32 partition in Computer management, set it as active, and tell your BIOS to boot from USB HDD.

Edit:
I actually got really bored this spring and made a multi-boot USB key that has Backtrack, GParted, and a partition for arbitrary 7 (or Vista) installs. The big trick is that Windows, for some reason, only allows devices marked as "Removable Media" to have 1 partition. If you add other partitions using Linux or something, Windows will only show the first one. I found some random utility that I don't trust very well to flip the removable media bit on the key, causing Windows to treat it exactly like an external hard drive. From there it's trivial to just copy the contents of the ISO to a FAT32 partition and mark it as active, as I said before.

The series of commands given above can also be done in Computer Management > Disk Management in Vista/7. It's been so long since I've messed with XP I'm not sure if you can work with USB keys from there in XP.

I've been looking for that program (I believe it's called BootIt) for ages now, but every link to it is either dead or throws off an alarm in Avast for it being a possible trojan.

Do you still have the file? Could you throw it up in rapidshare or something?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mr. Stepmom posted:

If you were previously in the Windows 7 Beta Feedback Program, you'll be automatically invited to the Windows 7 RC Feedback Program. If you use the RC for at least four months, you'll receive Windows 7 Ultimate for free three months after Windows 7 releases to the public (so that'd be January 22, 2010).

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Does anyone know when it will be released to MSDNAA users? I assume TechNet users get it as soon as it hits RTM...

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Tivac posted:

If this is true, that's not bad at all. I usually buy full OEM versions from NewEgg when I get Windows. At least I could careless about the "Ultimate" edition this time with 7, but I wish Windows 7 kept DreamScene from the Ultimate Extras; I thought that was neat.

I'll admit it though: I thought I was going to stick with Vista, but the more I use 7, the more I like it a lot. I'm jazzed for a Home Premium copy with the way things are going so far.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I usually use Firefox, but the other day I was going to give IE a run. However it wont work. From any icon. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Thanks on the audio stuff, about the voip and such.

Lower pricing on 7 seems like a great idea to me. Most people don't bother to upgrade because OS' are so much, and if yours is working, why bother? But at $50 or $100, thats way more reasonable, for what is inarguably better than XP, which many are using. I'm excited about actually being able to afford it when it comes out.

What type of feature differences are we looking at between 7 ultimate, and say home premium? And professional premium? Is it anything a standard user is going to care about?