Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

cryme posted:

For Hot Water Music, their 'classic' album is Fuel for the Hate Game.

Yeah, this is definitely considered their opus, but I've always thought Forever and Counting was the better of the two. Both are must-haves, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bobby The Rookie posted:

That's kind of a weird flow- Reinhold Messner is a completely different sound from Whatever or the S/T.

I suggest starting out with the S/T as well, though, Whatever and Ever is nice, but I've never been as big on it as with the S/T or Rockin' The Suburbs.

Yeah I screwed up. I meant s/t->reinhold

But W&EA is their biggest and for most people in my experience the starting point.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
The Fall have nearly 30 studio albums and they've been on my list of bands to check out for a while. I have no idea what a good starting point is, so I was wondering if they have any 'consensus' albums or if I should just get "50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong" and then decide what I like off of that.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

The Fall have nearly 30 studio albums and they've been on my list of bands to check out for a while. I have no idea what a good starting point is, so I was wondering if they have any 'consensus' albums or if I should just get "50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong" and then decide what I like off of that.

Option b is acceptable, but This Nation's Saving Grace is as good a place to start imo.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

HenryEx posted:

I'm no expert on Hardcore, but that reminds me alot of I Justified. Wait until 2 minutes, or at least 1:40 when listening to it before X-ing out.

This helps. Thanks :)
EDIT:One thing I will say about Hardcore/Hardstyle is that they like their rap samples too much, much of their music would be improved with something creepier or more omnious rather than some thug yelling "We stand out like birdshit on a black shoe"

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 8, 2009

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

How would I go about getting into opera?

CheezusCrust
Nov 23, 2005

I am trying to really get into Sunn 0))) (is that a zero or an O?) because I think they have a lot to offer musically. Plus, they seem to be pretty popular for their genre. What should I start with? Sorry if this has already been asked.

Fail-Bot
Jun 27, 2008

run:cakemaker.exe
processing...
ERROR

Echoes posted:

Hmm I'd say go for his newest live album 'Where the light is' It showcases the 3 main parts of him as an artist, his big band, his blues band and his solo acoustic stuff. From there work out which songs of his you really like and go for the albums they're on. If you already know you like his pop stuff then I'd go in the order - Room for Squares -> Continuum -> Heavier Things

This was an excellent suggestion. If anyone else was lost about John Mayer, the the live album is definitely the way to start. Thank you, Echoes!

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

CheezusCrust posted:

I am trying to really get into Sunn 0))) (is that a zero or an O?) because I think they have a lot to offer musically. Plus, they seem to be pretty popular for their genre. What should I start with? Sorry if this has already been asked.

It's an "O." I'd pick up their latest one, Monoliths & Dimensions and Black One. Don't listen to these alone and in the dark, be prepared to be somewhat terrified.

I listened to Black One while falling asleep, it gave me nightmares

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

:yum:

Iraff fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 21, 2013

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Where do I go next with The Magnetic Fields? I've got my hands on 69 Love Songs and love every second of it, and i've heard one or two songs from Distortion, along with the song 'Strange Powers', which I dig alot. What's their earlier work like?

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
I'd like to know where to start with the Smooth Jazz genre, or if that is not allowed I would like to know where to start with George Benson's music. Thank you.

Dr Aldous Huxtable
Oct 6, 2008

by angerbot
How about Brian Eno? I like the music he's done with David Byrne and David Bowie, but I haven't heard any of his solo work.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Ellen Page Reactor posted:

How about Brian Eno? I like the music he's done with David Byrne and David Bowie, but I haven't heard any of his solo work.

He's diverse, is Eno, so: If you're looking for a good balance between more conventional songs and his ambient output, start with Another Green World or Before & After Science.

For his ambient stuff, i'd suggest starting out with Ambient 1: Music For Airports or Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks.

I can't speak for any of his stuff with Roxy Music though.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Rubber Biscuit posted:

He's diverse, is Eno, so: If you're looking for a good balance between more conventional songs and his ambient output, start with Another Green World or Before & After Science.

Before and After Science is the most similar to his work with Bowie, but Another Green World was my introduction to his solo albums and it left an amazing first impression, and it's still my favorite album of his.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Where do I go next with The Magnetic Fields? I've got my hands on 69 Love Songs and love every second of it, and i've heard one or two songs from Distortion, along with the song 'Strange Powers', which I dig alot. What's their earlier work like?

Pick up The Charm of the Highway Strip, Holiday and Get Lost. They're all great. If you like the songs on 69 Love Songs with guest vocalists, then try the first two albums (The Wayward Bus/Distant Plastic Trees) and the albums by "The 6ths". I prefer it when Merritt himself is on the mic.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Where would be the best place to start with Depeche Mode? I've heard their songs here and there, and they're somehow similar to Massive Attack's Mezzanine (I might be very wrong here)

So, which album is their darkest, heaviest?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Skilleddk posted:

Where would be the best place to start with Depeche Mode? I've heard their songs here and there, and they're somehow similar to Massive Attack's Mezzanine (I might be very wrong here)

I can only speak to things up to and including Songs of Faith and Devotion. Perhaps their latter material possibly references some of the things happening on Mezzanine, but for the most part the sounds of the two bands don't intersect all that much. Mezzanine is candles, red wine, damp silk, sweat, and heat. Depeche Mode records are much more dorm room shimmer. Anyway, if you haven't heard much Depeche Mode I'd suggest looking to Black Celebration for "dark." Granted, the album came out in 1986 so don't expect trip-hop beats and evil guitars intertwined. As far as heavy, Songs of Faith and Devotion had some full on gee-tar, but the song was pretty goofy. "Walking in my Shoes" from that album could possibly fulfill any Massive Attack fantasies you might have. The latter albums post-Alan Wilder are supposedly more atmospheric and might get you closer to the Mezzanine sound you desire.

Edit: I never really answered where to start. If you want a one-stop collection of songs you'll recognize then pick up one of their multiple Singles collections. If you're looking for a full album experience, Violator is arguably their peak and certainly received a phenomenal amount of attention. From their, you could work backwards and check out Music for the Masses and the aforementioned Black Celebration. Those three albums are the probably DM's answer to the Cure's "dark trilogy."

hatelull fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 19, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Ellen Page Reactor posted:

May as well drive the point home further, Another Green World and Ambient 1.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

May as well drive the point home further, Another Green World and Ambient 1.

As the final nail in Brian Eno's coffin, I recently got into Here Come the Warm Jets and find it terribly engaging. Until this point, I've only been familiar with Eno through the albums he did with Bowie and that U2 album Unforgettable Fire. Here Come the Warm Jets is definitely worth seeking out as well.

Some Alf DVDs
Dec 2, 2004

*SLurpz*
I love me some southern rock. How about The Band ?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Some Alf DVDs posted:

I love me some southern rock. How about The Band ?

Music from Big Pink and The Band are the undisputed classics. If you like those, there's some stuff to like on Stage Fright and Cahoots but they're not on the same level.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Where should I begin with Phish?

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

bovis posted:

Where should I begin with Phish?

I'd go with "Billy Breathes" first. Maybe their best album and extremely accessible.

How about Isis? I've heard of them and their new album has gotten great reviews. Should I start with that one?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Not An Irish Monk posted:

How about Isis? I've heard of them and their new album has gotten great reviews. Should I start with that one?

Probably not a bad idea. Oceanic is their masterpiece, IMO.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Not An Irish Monk posted:

Eh, I'd go with Panopticon. Didn't find their new album to be half as interesting as their past work.

Dr Aldous Huxtable
Oct 6, 2008

by angerbot
Thanks a bunch, you guys.

I plan on going to http://www.last.fm/event/1028355 on Saturday, but I don't know very much about either Conor Oberst or Jenny Lewis so I thought I'd come back to you guys. I know that both of them (or just Oberst?) have been involved with a few different projects, so where should I start?

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Skilleddk posted:

I don't know about darkest or heaviest, but Violator is definitely where to start. I didn't like the last two albums, so avoid those until you've got a good grounding in their sound.

Where do I start with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

spouse posted:

Murder Ballads

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

spouse posted:

I don't know about darkest or heaviest, but Violator is definitely where to start. I didn't like the last two albums, so avoid those until you've got a good grounding in their sound.

I would say "Let Love In" or his newest effort "Dig, Lazarus, Dig". "Murder Ballads" is really good, but it might be a little too raw to start with.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I picked up The Real Thing by Faith No More and I was wondering where I should go from here if I liked most of the songs on this album. I really like Epic, but I doubt that is a good indication of where I should go with regard to Patton's body of work as a whole.

I also liked this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxNDKsyvMOI

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl

Frog Strips posted:

I picked up The Real Thing by Faith No More and I was wondering where I should go from here if I liked most of the songs on this album. I really like Epic, but I doubt that is a good indication of where I should go with regard to Patton's body of work as a whole.

I also liked this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxNDKsyvMOI

Go out and get Tomahawk's self-titled, which that song is from. The whole thing is pretty similar, but Mit Gas isn't and Anonymous, though cool as gently caress, is Native American dances redone with rock instruments.
You might also want to check out The Jesus Lizard. The two bands aren't identical at all, but Duane Denison plays guitar in both. Goat is their go-to album - it's absolutely fantastic, every song is great. David Yow isn't as renowned a vocalist in the same way, though he is great, but the guitar sounds are pretty similar.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

DARYL loving HALL posted:

Go out and get Tomahawk's self-titled, which that song is from. The whole thing is pretty similar, but Mit Gas isn't and Anonymous, though cool as gently caress, is Native American dances redone with rock instruments.
You might also want to check out The Jesus Lizard. The two bands aren't identical at all, but Duane Denison plays guitar in both. Goat is their go-to album - it's absolutely fantastic, every song is great. David Yow isn't as renowned a vocalist in the same way, though he is great, but the guitar sounds are pretty similar.

Thanks a lot, man.

I like the Jesus Lizard already, I didn't know they and Tomahawk shared a guitarist. I'll definitely check out both of those albums, as I already have Liar.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Polegrinder posted:

It's an "O." I'd pick up their latest one, Monoliths & Dimensions and Black One. Be absolutely sure to listen to these alone and in the dark, be prepared to be somewhat terrified.

I listened to Black One while falling asleep, it gave me nightmares

Fixed. I first listened to them while reading Lovecraft in my room late and night. I had dreams of monsters and cannibalism. It was awesome. It's also great for playing Diablo 2.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
Where do I start with Journey, The Alan Parsons Project, Led Zeppelin, and Shiny Toy Guns (yeah I know they only have 2 albums but I'm digging their Major Tom cover, so where should I go first)?

Glass Joe fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 4, 2009

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl

Glass Joe posted:

Where do I start with Journey, The Alan Parsons Project, Led Zeppelin, and Shiny Toy Guns (yeah I know they only have 2 albums but I'm digging their Major Tom cover, so where should I go first)?

Okay, well, I dunno what to tell you about Journey or Zep cuz that is honestly a weird as gently caress request, but my favorite Parsons album is I, Robot. So look into that.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

DARYL loving HALL posted:

cuz that is honestly a weird as gently caress request,

Yeah, I realize that. I'm just sick of the same poo poo on my playlists that I've been listening to for the last 10 years, and I want to diversify into stuff I like but never got much past what you hear on the radio.

I'll look into I, Robot though, thanks!

Glass Joe fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 4, 2009

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Wondering where to begin with Deerhoof. I saw them opening for Blur in Hyde Park this friday and was impressed, but their back catalogue is, uh, bigger than I expected.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Glass Joe posted:

Where do I start with ... Shiny Toy Guns?
Get their 2006 release of We Are Pilots. It is an upbeat, well-made, dance-friendly album. Lots of fun.

Their second album is way too serious, guitar-heavy, and angsty, and is a very different Shiny Toy Guns. I don't think the songs are as good, either. There's nothing wrong with serious and angsty, but I imagine there are many other bands that do much better. I'm not telling you not to buy it -- just be careful.

NB: We Are Pilots has Carah Faye Charnow on vocals, not Sisely Treasure, who sings on "Major Tom". If this bothers you, I would reassure you that Charnow is a fine vocalist, and that We Are Pilots is still the stronger album.

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Wondering where to begin with Deerhoof. I saw them opening for Blur in Hyde Park this friday and was impressed, but their back catalogue is, uh, bigger than I expected.

I'd start with either Apple O' or The Runners Four. Both are pretty accessible and among the best albums they ever released (if not the best). Apple O' is a lot shorter and snappier, while The Runners Four has a much broader range of styles, so it's really up to you which one to go with.