Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Went to the junkyard and grabbed a new gas cap door for my wife's 94 Camry. Next step up is to paint it dark green to match and build up the hinges with an epoxy to try and prevent it from happening again, since it seems endemic on Camrys of that vintage.

Also, still gotta find a 15" hubcap somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I got new tires and an alignment, no more steering wheel vibration at 100+kph :toot:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
I hunted gremlins in my DD's electrical all day. But got in a little time polishing the rocker arm cover from the garage queen.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I'm about to go clean my TSX inside and out, and then enjoy a weekend of driving around in the nice weather (in between a solid week of rain) we're having.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
Tore apart the passenger door on the Vette, trying to figure out why the window only worked intermittently.

I thought it might be corrosion on the motor because it seemed to work more frequently when it was humid out.

Turns out, it is the motor, slowly giving up the ghost. The window goes down just fine, but when it come time to push the window back up again, the motor is straining and get really hot.

Also finished the install on the rear security deck on my Jeep, finished the re-install of the exhaust on my Sportster.

Now I just have to either buy some jackstands or find someplace who will do a spring/shock swap on the Jeep for cheap. I have the springs and shocks, just need to get them installed.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I installed a Dinan :rice:STAGE 1:rice: reflash on the M3 to rid myself of the top speed limiter, and it had the side-effect of improving my mileage by 4 MPG. Good thing since the car was barely getting its EPA rated mileage.

I also installed an AFE K&N style gauze/oil air filter to increase the volume of the induction sound.

Today I had to add a quart of their $18/qt "Motorsport" 10W60 they sell specifically for the M3. I gotta find a cheaper place to get that stuff.

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot
Said goodbye to my ....::.:R32 and picked up a loaner Malibu LTZ for the next week.

Anyone want to explain who thought this was a good idea?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DILLIGAF posted:

Tore apart the passenger door on the Vette, trying to figure out why the window only worked intermittently.

I thought it might be corrosion on the motor because it seemed to work more frequently when it was humid out.

Turns out, it is the motor, slowly giving up the ghost. The window goes down just fine, but when it come time to push the window back up again, the motor is straining and get really hot.

Also finished the install on the rear security deck on my Jeep, finished the re-install of the exhaust on my Sportster.

Now I just have to either buy some jackstands or find someplace who will do a spring/shock swap on the Jeep for cheap. I have the springs and shocks, just need to get them installed.

Make sure it isn't the regulator as well, or replace the regulator also if you can. I just did this on my Grand Prix a few weeks ago, except mine seemed to work less when it was humid out. Same problem though, went down fine, had all kinds of issues going back up. I bought just a motor and it worked for a few days until completely locking up in the down position. I got a new regulator and now it works better than the other side.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I took off the side emblems of my Volvo 245 to put in side markers. Right now it looks like I am following that terrible porthole fad. :smith:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Did the upper wishbone for the Standard. Also fitted the now-complete wishbones, upright and spring for that side to the subframe, using tactically-applied bodymass in lieu of spring compressors.

Old & busted --> New hotness picture:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Got it on a dyno, horray for dynos.

Hatebreed posted:

Said goodbye to my ....::.:R32 and picked up a loaner Malibu LTZ for the next week.

Anyone want to explain who thought this was a good idea?

what is wrong with the r32 and what the gently caress is wrong with that button, looks like an afterthought. Also looks like you're going to turn on your brootoofs by accident when you want to turn up the bumps.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 6, 2009

RowanAmeth
May 23, 2007
I got my '88 Bronco II towed up to my dad's house in preparation for replacing the high-pressure fuel pump, and possibly dropping the tank to replace the low-pressure assembly if required, which would mean gaining a working fuel gauge as well.

Also I filled up the tires, while lamenting the slow leak on both the tires on the left side which I'm hoping is just because the tires are old, and not because the rims aren't holding a seal properly. I love those goddamn rims. And I hooked up a trickle charger to the battery, because it'd been sitting for about a month and needed topping up.

Next step is to check the wiring to the pumps, and if that's not the problem, it's a trip to a parts store to get a pump or two. Also considering replacing the valve cover gaskets, as they're leaking slightly and while it's not a major issue yet, it's one less thing to worry about if I just do it. Also at some point I should probably get the transmission seals replaced, as they leak when the fluid warms up. That will probably be done at a shop (maybe the valve covers too) so I don't end up breaking something with my blatant lack of experience.

As an aside, the tow truck driver knew an awful lot about BIIs, so he was able to give me some good advice and words of encouragement. Bonus!

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

FogHelmut posted:

Make sure it isn't the regulator as well, or replace the regulator also if you can. I just did this on my Grand Prix a few weeks ago, except mine seemed to work less when it was humid out. Same problem though, went down fine, had all kinds of issues going back up. I bought just a motor and it worked for a few days until completely locking up in the down position. I got a new regulator and now it works better than the other side.

Where is the regulator? Not in the door on my 95.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.
Said goodbye to my awesome 1992 Volvo 240 wagon after some jerk ran a red light, slammed into the right rear and sent me spinning into a third car, then up the sidewalk and into a telephone pole.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DILLIGAF posted:

Where is the regulator? Not in the door on my 95.

The regulator is the thing that the window rides up and down on. The motor moves the regulator. They either sell the motor and regulator together, or separately. I tried to save some money by just doing the motor, but that ended up screwing me in the end.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

The regulator is the thing that the window rides up and down on. The motor moves the regulator. They either sell the motor and regulator together, or separately. I tried to save some money by just doing the motor, but that ended up screwing me in the end.

DOh.. after I posted, I went and looked it up.. I was thinking you were talking about an electric type regulator. I had no idea what that gizmo was named.

Dur....

Thanks for the tip.

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Got it on a dyno, horray for dynos.

what is wrong with the r32 and what the gently caress is wrong with that button, looks like an afterthought. Also looks like you're going to turn on your brootoofs by accident when you want to turn up the bumps.

Moved the gay vw home while I pick up my Camero next week :patriot:

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Hatebreed posted:

Moved the gay vw home while I pick up my Camero next week :patriot:

Is your mullet long enough yet? I don't think you can take delivery until you get a certain length of mullet going.

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot

Doctor Bud posted:

Is your mullet long enough yet? I don't think you can take delivery until you get a certain length of mullet going.

The internet salesman that has been doing everything for me (except paying) has a rat-tail.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I managed to track down and fix the vacuum leak on my '91 Celica GT-Four so I've now gained about 5psi of boost and I'm no longer treated to a loud hissing sound from under the bonnet when I step on the accelerator.

Now I just have to see if theres anywhere in this stupid town that stocks parts for my car (I'll bet there isn't) so I can get a new valve cover gasket. However thats not in any real rush to get done just yet.

Tomorrow I will hopefully get started on ripping apart the engine on my '92 civic to see if its worth saving or if I should just sell it to the wreckers.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
A demonstration of how lazy I am. Late last summer, I replaced all interior and the rear license plate bulbs in the LGT with LED replacements. 1 of the 2 plate bulbs went out some time during winter and I never took the time to figure out why.

When getting breakfast and filling up tires this morning I noticed that the thing had fallen out of the drat socket. :ughh:

Spent 20 minutes pulling the liner down (god I hate those push-in trim holders) retrieving the bulb and putting it back in. At least the drat thing works now! :downs:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Did the balljoint in the Focus.

Told the wife, "well, unless we buy a proper 1/2" drive torque wrench, I'm not sure I'll be able to get this done safely."

Needless to say, thank you wifey for the torque wrench (which will get a thousand actual uses soon..)

Xanth Eridani
Jun 7, 2009
well hey guys, im new here :D looks like my sort of thread :D

im from the UK and i have a Nissan 200sx S14 (i think these are the 240sx in america)

having spent the best part of 6 months rebuilding the engine myself, after having melted a piston, she's now all back together at around 400/420bhp getting her dynoed next month

ill get some pics up in a bit

cheers

Ben

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Xanth Eridani posted:

im from the UK and i have a Nissan 200sx S14 (i think these are the 240sx in america)

having spent the best part of 6 months rebuilding the engine myself, after having melted a piston, she's now all back together at around 400/420bhp getting her dynoed next month

cheers

Ben

1. Use your shift key.
2. Don't post 'hey i'm new here' posts.
3. The 200SX isn't quite the same as a 240 (SR20DET vs KA24DE).
4. Don't sign your posts.

5. Post pictures, it sounds pretty good.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Yesterday I took the front of my SRT8 apart

To mount an enormous power steering fluid cooler so i don't blow mine out at the track again

Hopefully ill figure out how i want to mount my oil and trans coolers to the top of my bumper this week while i wait for a 3/8" NPT tap to arrive so i can deepen the threads on the oil cooler sandwich adapter.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

kill me now posted:

Yesterday I took the front of my SRT8 apart

To mount an enormous power steering fluid cooler so i don't blow mine out at the track again

Hopefully ill figure out how i want to mount my oil and trans coolers to the top of my bumper this week while i wait for a 3/8" NPT tap to arrive so i can deepen the threads on the oil cooler sandwich adapter.

I'm kind of surprised you track that thing, I would think it'd be like strapping JATO rockets to an elephant.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Das Volk posted:

I'm kind of surprised you track that thing, I would think it'd be like strapping JATO rockets to an elephant.

Its actually not bad at all. Its only a few hundred pounds heavier then the CTS-V you had and with sticky 275's all around for now its got enough grip in the corners. Next year ill probably get some dedicated 18" track wheels (maybe CCW's) with 275f/315r nitto nt01's.

Theres a guy out in california tracking his DD magnum and running down some real expensive rides at laguna
http://lelandwest.com/auto-tech/magnum/laguna052709_2.wmv

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Xanth Eridani posted:

cheers

Ben

You'd better read the Rules first

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I HATE CARS posted:

3. The 200SX isn't quite the same as a 240 (SR20DET vs KA24DE).

And yet the mid-late model 180SX (Mad tyte JDM yo!) changed to an SR20DE(T) and still didn't change it's name...

Xanth Eridani posted:

Silvia's are awesome, post pictures. I just hope it's not barry'd up...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
In the past week I:
Replaced my shifter (had a lovely one come with the transmission I bought, put a stocker on)
Replaced my HVAC controls (had a couple of burnt out lights, needed this for years)
Adjusted the freeplay in the clutch pedal (was making noise when disengaged, is quiet now)
AND!
Finally put a new turbo on! It's still a CT-26, but it's been upgraded to a 57-trim compressor wheel. It boosts much more quickly and pulls all the way to redline now. I'm sure I've got some boost leakage because my stock intercooler hoses and clamps are lovely, especially the one coming off the turbo.

However, I was playing around on Ebay last night with the Make An Offer feature, and like an idiot I made an offer that was accepted for a new intercooler and piping kit. It's a cheapo, most likely made in China set and it'll be here Friday. I hope it's better than what I have now, but it was ~$80 for a replacement lower hose from Toyota and only $300 shipped for an entire kit of hard pipes with an intercooler.

I just know I'm going to want to put a fuel tuning computer in and get some dyno time to lean out the mixture, as it's running pig rich.

edit: this is all for my '92 Supra Turbo, for anyone who is new around these parts. I'm hoping to get the intercooler kit installed this weekend and take it to Zmax dragway up in Concord on the 18th. Any Charlotte-area goons interested?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

kill me now posted:

This looks extremely badass and I don't believe I've ever seen one before.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Just broke a bolt of in the block while replacing the water pump gasket on my E30...gently caress. Was going to be a quick hour or two job but now I need to drill it out then tap or helicoil it and order a new gasket because the new one got ripped.

While it is still a cheap/easy fix for the radiator eating the clutch fan and pouring coolant all over the track its pissing me off and has been out of commission for two weeks now.

In other news I talked my brother into detailing the VW diesel pickup I bought the other day.

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Douche Bag Extraordinaire
I removed the rust caused from a super dead brake pad on one of my miata's wheels (stock 95 wheels). Then repainted it and another one. They look pretty similar to the two on the other side but the paint is a littleee off so I'm going to have to do those two tomorrow too.

Oh and I also realized that debadging at night is a terrible idea and ended up buffing alot. I took SUBARU off my wrx trunk and while it look perfect under artificial light you can still see a faint outline in the sun. Blah.

The Stang
Sep 19, 2006

In the process of changing the spark plug wires on my '94 Z28 Camaro. I've only had a few minutes to work on it the past few days, but i'm hoping to finish it up tomorrow. I then have to get my leaking power steering pump replaced, and put on my subframe connectors as well as get a cutout installed. I'm hoping this will help secure me into the mid 13's in the 1/4.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
^^^ drill a hole in the bolt (a little smaller than the inside groove of the threads), and an extractor to remove the bolt. If you cant remove the bolt, you will have to drill oversized hole to tap for a bigger bolt. sometimes they are stuck hard and wont extract without breakng the extractor, but its a lot easier if you can just get the broken bolt out.

I replaced my intake valves and test fitted my head. exhaust valves didnt quite clear :(

pulled the head and replaced my exhaust valves with short ones and put the head back together but was too tired to re-install the head and text.

Maybe tomorrow i'll get it running :smith:

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Had the U-joints and ball joints replaced on my truck last week so I could drive it to and from the SAE Supermileage competition for my school. 1500 miles: from West Haven, CT to Marshall, MI and back again, in a 20 year old F-150 carrying our vehicle. My truck also served as the work bench as well as transport.

The day after I got back I used it in a TSD Rally and actually made the last checkpoint.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

hippynerd posted:

^^^ drill a hole in the bolt (a little smaller than the inside groove of the threads), and an extractor to remove the bolt. If you cant remove the bolt, you will have to drill oversized hole to tap for a bigger bolt. sometimes they are stuck hard and wont extract without breakng the extractor, but its a lot easier if you can just get the broken bolt out.

Thats what I'm planning...hope it works. Going to call a couple of the dealerships in the cities to see if they have the gasket.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Wiglaf posted:

jump started it. It only sat for 4 days, I think my battery is kaput.

How is that thing doing, anyway?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
The morning started with a simple plug-change. Then plug number 4 had to go and be under a puddle of oil in the plug-tube. Man, cleaning old silicone out of the groove for the molded rubber valve cover gasket in a pain in the rear end(and back, what with my total lack of a work bench). Hopefully it'll fix the leak at the back of the valve cover too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007
Put the Toronado's key in the run position and discovered that every single 39-year-old electrical component on the car still works, except the #3 speed on the blower fan.