Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
This is only the second time I've noticed in maybe 2-3 weeks, and it usually goes away after driving for several minutes, and does not come back. It's only just after a cold start after the car has been sitting for a day or two, as far as I can tell in the couple times it has happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

The Third Man posted:

This is only the second time I've noticed in maybe 2-3 weeks, and it usually goes away after driving for several minutes, and does not come back. It's only just after a cold start after the car has been sitting for a day or two, as far as I can tell in the couple times it has happened.

This used to happen to me. My slave cylinder went a few months later.

You can see the slave cylinder on the passenger side of the bell housing. Play with the boot and give it a squeeze and see if any fluid falls out.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Well seeing as it's a relatively easy repair, this might be a fun job for me to get my feet wet with, and maybe I can change the oil while I'm under there.

I'll need to buy some tools and jack stands, though. First of all, am I ok with just the little OEM jack for changing tires with for now? Also, what are some recommended jack stands and sockets? Is there a set of sockets/extensions that you guys would recommend getting started with? According to the write-up on miata.net I should only need 8/10/12mm sockets for this. That and a flare nut wrench for the nut on the clutch line.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Honestly I think a regular open ended wrench would be fine on the clutch line, just make sure not to tighten it down too hard. Have someone else pump the clutch to make sure it's just tight enough (no fluid leaking). You'll want a decent sized extension (I can't quite recall how long).

(one of those two bolts will be a bitch to get off from below).

Don't use the OEM jack if you're getting under the car. If you're feeling cheap, grab some jacks from Harbor Freight for $20 a pair. Sturdy enough.

Oh, and buy a rubber mallet.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Just decided to go out to sears and scored a gargantuan craftsman wrench/socket set for something like 130 bucks, and powerbilt floor jack, and a pair of jack stands. That should be a good start.

Will I need to order anything else other than the slave cylinder, and some new brake fluid for the reservoir? I think I will need some rubber tubing for bleeding, can I pick that up at any auto parts store?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Did your wrench set specifically include flare-nut wrenches? They look like this:

If not you'll need to get some, open-end wrenches won't work for the hydraulic line.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Open ended wrenches worked fine for me.. what's the difference functionally?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

destructo posted:

Security. There is a slightly higher risk of stripping with open ended wrenches. And these are the last things you want to strip. It doesn't help that they are, in general, small and somewhat more delicate.

(I used open ended wrenches without issue so far)

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

destructo posted:

Flare nuts tend to be made of brass, which seals better than steel but is softer, and open-end wrenches tend to tear them up. Flare nut wrenches allow you to get more tool on the nut, preventing slippage and rounding.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

IOwnCalculus posted:

Did your wrench set specifically include flare-nut wrenches? They look like this:

If not you'll need to get some, open-end wrenches won't work for the hydraulic line.

I've changed 3 clutch slave cylinders using open end wrenches each time and never had a problem. You just have to be careful.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

The only thing I'm worried about is getting enough clearance with the jack to get the stands set under. The jack maxes out at 13" and the minimum height on the stands is 14". What's the safest thing to boost the jack a couple inches with, a sturdy piece of lumber? I was told it wouldn't really be a problem, I'd just have to jack from a lower point than where I would fit the stands.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Perhaps it's because mine had been replaced once before and the shop that did it, overtightened it - but when I tried to loosen mine I could feel it starting to strip without budging the nut a bit. Got a 10mm flare nut wrench and it came off without a second thought.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
http://www.toolking.com/performancetools_w350m.aspx

8 bucks.

Find a couple other things to justify shipping.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So I think my left rear brake isn't working. The car still brakes fine, it's just that the rotor on that side is rusted up, whereas the other ones are smooth (in the path of the brake pad) since they rub any rust off as I brake. What would cause one brake to stop working, and is there some kind of easy fix I could do? I don't have any idea what to look for, all I know is that the brake fluid is full. 94m miata, stock brakes and rotors.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 10, 2009

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Elysium posted:

So I think my left rear brake isn't working. The car still brakes fine, it's just that the rotor on that side is rusted up, whereas the other ones are smooth (in the path of the brake pad) since they rub any rust off as I brake. What would cause one brake to stop working, and is there some kind of easy fix I could do? I don't have any idea what to look for, all I know is that the brake fluid is full. 94m miata, stock brakes and rotors.

Seized piston, the easiest way to fix it is get a rebuilt caliper.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

oh yah, another question about the clutch slave cylinder, how important is having a torque wrench for this, if at all?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

The Third Man posted:

oh yah, another question about the clutch slave cylinder, how important is having a torque wrench for this, if at all?

Not important at all.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

New to me 91 5 speed, white was red:

Question: the airbag light blinks in cycles of 4 blinks sometimes, any suggestions on what to do to fix this?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

FireTora posted:

Seized piston, the easiest way to fix it is get a rebuilt caliper.

Or a seized slider pin.

Easiest way to fix that is to hopefully unseize that and lube her up!

Take it apart and see what is stuck. Its pretty straight forward if you get a 10$ Haynes manual.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

beatdown posted:

New to me 91 5 speed, white was red:

Question: the airbag light blinks in cycles of 4 blinks sometimes, any suggestions on what to do to fix this?
http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/e/7/78344965.gif

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I got cut off by a lady in a red Miata yesterday and I was going to rage out inside my helmet till I noticed her license plate was

BACKRDS

:unsmith:

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Any particular brake fluid you guys would recommend while I'm swapping out the clutch slave cylinder this weekend, or should any brand I can find at someplace like NAPA do?

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
Should I just grab a radiator and a timing belt kit off eBay or is there somewhere better to get them from? It's for my 2000 miata.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

The Third Man posted:

Any particular brake fluid you guys would recommend while I'm swapping out the clutch slave cylinder this weekend, or should any brand I can find at someplace like NAPA do?

Any DOT 3 Fluid will be fine.

AkrisD posted:

Should I just grab a radiator and a timing belt kit off eBay or is there somewhere better to get them from? It's for my 2000 miata.

Ebay is fine. I'd make sure to get the koyo radiator though. You probably wouldn't be able to get the parts cheaper anywhere else unless you know people.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

FireTora posted:

Any DOT 3 Fluid will be fine.

thanks a lot.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The Third Man posted:

thanks a lot.

just don't keep a bottle of it in the glove box with your registration and insurance details. Who knew it would strip all the ink from the pages!

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Any of you guys want to weigh in on the lifter noise problem that these cars have? Has anyone had any luck getting rid of it with heavier/synthetic oil? It's pretty annoying on my car, and I'd like to get rid of it...

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

The Third Man posted:

Any of you guys want to weigh in on the lifter noise problem that these cars have? Has anyone had any luck getting rid of it with heavier/synthetic oil? It's pretty annoying on my car, and I'd like to get rid of it...

My rebuilt head got rid of my tick. My friend is planning on replacing all his lifters on his car to get rid of his. Some people claim they got rid of theirs with different weight oils but I have never seen that myself.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

The Third Man posted:

Mobil1 10w30 fixed the issue for me, although hot tick begins to creep in again around 4000 miles after the change. Keeping the oil topped up is also helpful. There's a "2twisty" flush that some people have had success with over at miata.net, do a search over there.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Trip report: welp.

I'm a goddamn idiot and slightly stripped the pipe union nut on the clutch line into the slave cylinder. I tried to make it better by going out and buying a flare wrench, but it would not fit over the nut. Some fucker tightened that goddamn thing down somehow, and nothing I am now doing will get it off. I hit it with some penetrating grease/oil spray and tapped the poo poo out of it to try and get it to come off, to no avail.

I guess there is a lesson hear, once I felt that that fucker wasn't budging I should have stopped and gone to get the flare wrench... What are my options now to try and get that thing loose?

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
If you do end up stripping the fucker, fear not - there's a stainless steel line (I can't recall if it was in this thread 3-5 pages back) that will replace the rubber hose and the hardline. I'll do some searching...

edit: no luck going back to page 40 :( Must've been a different forum. It's not the standard stainless replacement you can get anywhere, it goes all the way to the firewall on the passenger side and lets you delete the coiled hardline bracket that you can never get back on right(tm). Maybe if I invoke savington's name he'll show up and know what I'm talking about.

iscariot fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 17, 2009

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just reposting this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anyone got any suggestions on a cheap cover that will work reasonably well for the Miata? I need to get the NB out of the garage for what will probably be at least a few weeks and because I'm not going to be driving it much, I want to cover it up so it doesn't get full of crap from the tree over my driveway / so the sun stops raping the paint. Pretty much a one-time deal as it will be going back in the garage when I'm done with the truck, most likely.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

iscariot posted:

Maybe if I invoke savington's name he'll show up and know what I'm talking about.

Your wish is my :science:

http://www.miataturbo.net/forum/t20209/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

IOwnCalculus posted:

Anyone got any suggestions on a cheap cover that will work reasonably well for the Miata? I need to get the NB out of the garage for what will probably be at least a few weeks and because I'm not going to be driving it much

I have a cheapo Covercraft cover for my Focus, whose paint I don't give a poo poo about. It has one water resistant layer and has worked fine, even in the winter. The fitment is very good -- I can easily put it on the back and then mirrors, and then front, but it's also not so loose that the wind ruffles it all over the place.

Looks like the Miata version is about $100:
http://www.gomiata.com/polcusfitcar.html

That said, I suspect this kind of cover is really not good for paint. But maybe fine if you put on a really nice wax beforehand.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

That said, I suspect this kind of cover is really not good for paint. But maybe fine if you put on a really nice wax beforehand.

The paint needs some serious work, so I doubt any cover would cause more damage than what's already been done (it needs, at the very least, a claying and some serious polishing work). By the time I get around to detailing the car I should hopefully have garage space again to park it in.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Savington posted:

Your wish is my :science:

http://www.miataturbo.net/forum/t20209/

Hey thanks, that was really helpful. Before I go and do that, would you happen to have any suggestions for getting off that nut on the hard line without completely rounding it off, now that I've partially done just that? Maybe dremel it down so I can get the flare wrench over it?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Alright guys, I need some help doing some convincing of some parents.

My friend is looking at getting a car and her parents are paying for it. Apparently a modern, 90s, Japanese "sports car" is unsafe because it's too small. I know that it mostly has 4 stars where the other car in the running, a V6 Mustang, has 5.

Enter the problem: omg NA miatazzz! She's already let a 91 with 56k slip by for 3700 because her dad was out of town. As luck would have it, he's out of town and a 90 with 34k has popped up for 4500. To say the least, his timing is loving spectacular. I'm going to check it out on Wednesday to see if it's the real deal with hopes of being able to convince her dad to have a check in hand on Friday (because poo poo like this doesn't wait for anybody).

I'm going to check insurance rates tomorrow hoping that they re cheaper, but I need some safety arguments thrown in to really have any weight with the 'rents.

ps- i am good with spending other peoples money, no seriously; i got my future roommate to buy an hdtv last week

edit for linx http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/1217288908.html

Phone fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 16, 2009

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Got a question about a Miata I'm going to be looking at tomorrow. It's a 94 R, and black. It's got 86k on it, koni's, and a thicker front sway bar (used in stock class for auto-x by previous owner). It has a/c, but he took the pulley off but the system is intact and supposedly working. The paint and top are in good shape supposedly, with no rust on the rear quarters or any large dents/scratches. What would you expect to pay for this thing? He's got it listed around 4k and to me that seemed pretty low. Sound about right or is this a steal? This guy has/had a couple miatas and sounds like he knows what he's doing with them overall and kept it up to date on maintenance.

I'm looking at this as a 3 season car to be my fun/track car, and possibly turbo it since I hear the 94/95 are easier and better to turbo. Anything I should look out for in particular? Other thoughts?

lovely pics ahoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Phone posted:

As luck would have it, he's out of town and a 90 with 34k has popped up for 4500. To say the least, his timing is loving spectacular.
edit for linx http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/1217288908.html

The hell, why doesn't this kind of thing happen in Ohio?

DreamOn13 posted:

It's a 94 R, and black. It's got 86k on it, koni's, and a thicker front sway bar (used in stock class for auto-x by previous owner).He's got it listed around 4k and to me that seemed pretty low.

Or this for that matter :argh: