Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexter
Jun 24, 2003

grillster posted:

Jesus that's a huuge TV for that stand. I have the same stand and my 37" + receiver is already causing the wood to bow in the middle.

I have a 50" Samsung DLP on the same stand with a ton of A/V equipment. No bowing or anything yet but my TV really doesn't weigh all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Set up my drafting table to double as my computer work area a few days ago. Big open workspaces are loving kick rear end. And my speakers are pretty loving old, but they still work.

I was also inspired by this thread when I saw someone who had posted a jimmy rigged laptop dock mounted to their desk. While mine doesn't look as elegant from the one I remember posted here, it works. Mounted an old magazine holder I had laying around collecting dust to the lower side of my drafting table with velcro so I wouldn't have laptop clutter messing with my wide open workspace. Ghetto-fied, yet functional.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

veonenergee posted:

Set up my drafting table to double as my computer work area a few days ago. Big open workspaces are loving kick rear end. And my speakers are pretty loving old, but they still work.

I was also inspired by this thread when I saw someone who had posted a jimmy rigged laptop dock mounted to their desk. While mine doesn't look as elegant from the one I remember posted here, it works. Mounted an old magazine holder I had laying around collecting dust to the lower side of my drafting table with velcro so I wouldn't have laptop clutter messing with my wide open workspace. Ghetto-fied, yet functional.

velcro? that doesn't look too sturdy to me.

puffin
Dec 19, 2000

Dogcow posted:

Is the Intuous4 as incredible functioning as it is looking? Also nice NAD amp, which is it?
The intuos4 is definitely a step up from the i3, the added sensitivity is really noticeable. The NAD is a 312, one of the best values on ebay in my opinion with the 3020.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

grillster posted:

Jesus that's a huuge TV for that stand. I have the same stand and my 37" + receiver is already causing the wood to bow in the middle.

It's rated for the weight. I'm not sure if we have the exact same model; mine has a 1" metal support pillar in the middle. It still makes me nervous--the TV came with special mounting wire, not so you could hang it from the wall, but so that you could attach it to the wall while it was on a stand for extra support.

It was hard as hell to find a stand that would take the weight (~120 lbs), was wide enough, and wasn't more than half what the TV cost me (1/2 off through work 2 years ago). Yay plasma TVs, you're pretty but heavy as poo poo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

VolumeOverTalent posted:

velcro? that doesn't look too sturdy to me.

I tested it. No worries! It's a double round of velcro going opposite ways, so they're pulling against one another making for some good tension, and another strip of velcro over it. If that makes any sense.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

veonenergee posted:

Mind posting that wallpaper?

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

Factor Mystic posted:

Mind posting that wallpaper?

And why does that character look so familiar?

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

Crush posted:

And why does that character look so familiar?

Mr. Incredible from The Incredibles.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Why do you have the taskbar at the top of the screen?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Lot 49 posted:

Why do you have a mac?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ab0z posted:

good question

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lot 49 posted:

This question is loving awesome.

Also, my wallpaper is from that sort of amazing iconographer, Louie Mantia. Linkage to Mr. Incredible wallpaper. He's got some other sweet Pixar themed ones, and a nice Star Trek emblem pattern one too.

VanguardTruth
Mar 11, 2006

Da Troof
Switched it up. Moved the 26" Samsung monitor with HDTV Tuner down to in front of my bed, and redid the desk. Notice, thanks to the cables, I live like poo poo.

Click here for the full 1024x681 image.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Lot 49 posted:

I'll ignore the "Why am I clueless" question and state that, to me, having the Windows taskbar at the top of the screen feels more consistent with every other goddamn application I use. Tabs/navigation are almost always near the top, (web pages, browser tabs, chat tabs, etc...) and it just makes sense for Windows to follow the same standard.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

glompix posted:

I'll ignore the "Why am I clueless" question and state that, to me, having the Windows taskbar at the top of the screen feels more consistent with every other goddamn application I use. Tabs/navigation are almost always near the top, (web pages, browser tabs, chat tabs, etc...) and it just makes sense for Windows to follow the same standard.

drat, now you got me thinking this is a good idea...

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I had to recable *everything* just so I could stick the AC unit back in the window. 90º in the Puget Sound? In June? In a 90 year old house on the third floor? Well, it was worth the trouble afterall. Of course the unfinished concrete basement is a nice 67º, but I don't want to be that guy.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Philip J Fry posted:

I had to recable *everything* just so I could stick the AC unit back in the window. 90º in the Puget Sound? In June? In a 90 year old house on the third floor? Well, it was worth the trouble afterall. Of course the unfinished concrete basement is a nice 67º, but I don't want to be that guy.

Are those monitors 30"?

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
i thought I was pretty slick about the vertical monitor until I saw some dude with 6 of them.

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

I'm not going to label everything because I think it's pretty straightforward and I'm lazy but I will list the things here.

2 acer 23" monitors
Razer Lachesis mouse
Razer Lycosa keyboard
logitech 5.1 speakers

I've seen my speakers at least 5 times here. Is anyone having a problem with random clicks and pops? Its got to either be my speakers or onboard audio (Realtek).

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

My desk is really deep. So deep that the shadows hide the dark secret that I am also living like poo poo. No pics for that though.

edit: loving bastards lied to me when I bought that case. On the rebate form I have the 3 little slots at the bottom are also lit up.

Empty Pockets fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 4, 2009

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Sir Nigel posted:

Are those monitors 30"?

Nah, just 24's.

Sully
Feb 6, 2009

Philip J Fry posted:

Nah, just 24's.

Nice desk, happen to have a link?

supdns
Nov 1, 2004

Philip J Fry posted:

Mind telling me what you are mounting those Klipsch satellites on? I built a lovely shelf on my wall for them but those look much cleaner.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Sully posted:

Nice desk, happen to have a link?

http://www.studiorta.com/catalog/details.cfm?catalog_id=348

Thanks, it's a Studio RTA Executive LS, I got it at Office Depot for $150 a couple of years ago.

mcwaite posted:

Mind telling me what you are mounting those Klipsch satellites on? I built a lovely shelf on my wall for them but those look much cleaner.

Klipsch's standard satellite mounts. They were a bit cheaper back in the day. I have another set for the rears to the left out of frame (there's a 5.1 THX set and a 5.1 Ultra set; I won the latter so I figured hey 10.2!)

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/wb-1-wall-bracket.aspx

Ghosts
Mar 10, 2008

by angerbotSD

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I gots me a new height adjustable desk as a leaving present from work. Its huge.
Also my father in law built me an ikea cabinet to house my 3 machines.
But, I'm not happy about the wiring as yet. I'm calling this a first draught.
Any ideas on good/cheap cable management are welcome, i understand the two approaches are usually mutually exclusive.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

url posted:

I gots me a new height adjustable desk as a leaving present from work. Its huge.
Also my father in law built me an ikea cabinet to house my 3 machines.
But, I'm not happy about the wiring as yet. I'm calling this a first draught.
Any ideas on good/cheap cable management are welcome, i understand the two approaches are usually mutually exclusive.

{imgs}

Double sided velcro strips are the best for cable management. That and finding a good place to put them. One neat trick that I don't think will work for you is to take some of that cardboard backer board you see that has holes every inch or so and you can put hooks in it (you normally see it in like a garage above a workbench) and screw some to the side/back of your desk and attach some hooks to it and velcro everything to it. Theres a really good example of it somewhere in this thread.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Sir Nigel posted:

Double sided velcro strips are the best for cable management. That and finding a good place to put them. One neat trick that I don't think will work for you is to take some of that cardboard backer board you see that has holes every inch or so and you can put hooks in it (you normally see it in like a garage above a workbench) and screw some to the side/back of your desk and attach some hooks to it and velcro everything to it. Theres a really good example of it somewhere in this thread.

Thats actually genius, and I think I could make it work.
The plug-board I have was formerly attached to a builders pallete until a few days ago.

I'm waiting for some parts for the middle case so I have time to prepare for a final draft. Thanks for the tip though.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

veonenergee posted:

This question is loving awesome.

Also, my wallpaper is from that sort of amazing iconographer, Louie Mantia. Linkage to Mr. Incredible wallpaper. He's got some other sweet Pixar themed ones, and a nice Star Trek emblem pattern one too.

Hey thanks for this link, I have a running theme of BSG machines and he happened to have a pack of BSG wallpapers with the names of all the ships I use to name my machine makes it pretty awesome :)

Tapeta
Aug 31, 2004
Ekaru Hoppa Do Pe Tapeta

Philip J Fry posted:

What is that wall unit that you have there?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

^^
Some Ikea shelf thingy I got years ago; I forget the name. Someone else in this thread had one as well.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

15" Macbook Pro on a Rain mStand
Asus VK246H 24"

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

Grayham posted:

Asus VK246H 24"

Wow, nice desk! Mind if I ask where you got this?

Fake edit: I love my mStand. Anyone who is looking for something like it would be hard pressed to find anything better (Although the Xtand looks sort of nice).

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Crush posted:

Wow, nice desk! Mind if I ask where you got this?

Fake edit: I love my mStand. Anyone who is looking for something like it would be hard pressed to find anything better (Although the Xtand looks sort of nice).

Thanks!

Actually, I built that desk three years ago. I was frustrated with the selection of cheap and crappy particle board desks you see everywhere.

Bullets!
  • Built of three sheets of 3/4" 4'x8' birch plywood plus one 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" MDF
  • The top is 1½" thick
  • 78" long x 27" wide x 30" tall
  • Able to fit through a 32" doorway with the door removed
  • Really loving heavy! — I almost killed myself moving it into my apartment by myself with only the help of an appliance dolly

Grayham fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 9, 2009

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Every time I see a picture and think, "Wow, that's a nice desk," someone says

Grayham posted:

Actually, I built that desk three years ago.

Why are there no good desks? Anyway, Grayham, that's a magnificent looking desk, good job.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Golbez posted:

Every time I see a picture and think, "Wow, that's a nice desk," someone says

Why are there no good desks? Anyway, Grayham, that's a magnificent looking desk, good job.

Ikea generally has a few good desks at any time. The Jerker is fabled (and discontinued) for the ease with which it took expansion and its layout and the Galant (Gallant?) is a wide sturdy desk with simplistic looks (get the T-leg version). Or get two 28-32" tall file cabinets and go to Lowes/Home Depot and get an exterior door blank. Boom instant desk.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

Grayham posted:

Asus VK246H 24"

there's those loving speakers again! am I missing something or are yours only stereo? if so, where did you get them because if I could pick up just two I could expand my 5.1 to 7.1 without different looking speakers for 2 channels.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Empty Pockets posted:

there's those loving speakers again! am I missing something or are yours only stereo? if so, where did you get them because if I could pick up just two I could expand my 5.1 to 7.1 without different looking speakers for 2 channels.

They're 2.1

I absolutely love Logitech and I'll buy it whenever there's an option to. Logitech just replaced my dead MX1000 which I'd owned for over 5 years - well out of warranty, with a brand new MX Revolution.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Grayham posted:

They're 2.1

I absolutely love Logitech and I'll buy it whenever there's an option to. Logitech just replaced my dead MX1000 which I'd owned for over 5 years - well out of warranty, with a brand new MX Revolution.

How'd you go about doing this? I've got an MX1000 that behaves really erratically that must be several years old.

\/ Edit: Thanks, I'll give that a shot. \/

All Too Much For Me fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 9, 2009

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

All Too Much For Me posted:

How'd you go about doing this? I've got an MX1000 that behaves really erratically that must be several years old.

Email Logitech customer support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sir Nigel posted:

Or get two 28-32" tall file cabinets and go to Lowes/Home Depot and get an exterior door blank. Boom instant desk.

You should avoid Home Depot if at all possible because they discourage unionization among employees okay I'll go back to LF now