Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
That Nikkatsu Noir set looks pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Well, gently caress me, I'd given up hope for the weekend.

Last Days of Disco - Rental. Metropolitan didn't do anything for me.

Jeanne Dielman - I'm torn. Such a unique film that really gets under your skin, but also tremendously hard to watch. Probably a rental, but one I'm really looking forward to.

Playtime on Blu-Ray - OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG. All over this.

Kagemusha on Blu-Ray - I agree, I wish it had been a Kurosawa I like more (such an Ran :sigh: ) but a definite purchase anyway.

Nikkatsu Noir - Rental again. I like Suzuki, but never enough to own any of his films. Have to confess I'm totally unfamiliar with the other directors in the set, but the genre interests me.

Overall, a decent month with a little something for everyone. Where the hell is Cook Thief Wife Lover though?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Jack Does Jihad posted:

look how wrong you are!!

Last Days of Disco

I gotta admit, I'm pretty psyched for this one. I haven't seen it in a couple of years, but it definitely has parts that stick in the memory.

I'm torn on Playtime... I love Tati, but it's my least favorite of his films. Decisions, decisions...

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is there any chance of Seven Samurai coming out on Blu-ray anytime soon? Because I've been debating picking up the 3 disc dvd set for a while now and I finally got an HDTV so it's an essential pick up for me.

Edit: Also what is the link to the site where you can download their dvd covers in high res?

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 18, 2009

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Playtime on Blu-Ray - OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG. All over this.

Holy poo poo, me too. This is crazy timing, I voted for Picnic at Hanging Rock in that Amazon vote but also wrote in a vote for Playtime. I then proceeded to complain to all of my friends about how badly Playtime needed to come to blu-ray. It comes out the week before my birthday too, which is awesome.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I got this via PM, but I'll post my reply here so others can chime in with their opinions:

A. Goon posted:

I'm not a film connoisseur, so if I liked what I've seen from him, would I like [Kagemusha]? Is it a "lackluster Kurosawa movie" or just a regular lackluster movie?

It's lackluster for Kurosawa. I don't hate it by any means, it's just a bit slow-moving. Also, Kurosawa's sense of color can be a little off-putting, it takes some getting used to.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Kagemusha is a good film. As stated before, it isn't a good starting point for Kurasawa, he's done better, but it's a solid work of art. I can still remember a lot of it, and it's very Shakespearean - questioning the true nature of a king and all that stuff.

The film, most notably, was produced by George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppala. Simply, Kurasawa couldn't get funding from the studio, so Georgie got 20th Century Fox to put up the rest of the money for the film that Kurasawa couldn't get.

You can also watch it on HULU if you're concerned.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

FitFortDanga posted:

It's lackluster for Kurosawa. I don't hate it by any means, it's just a bit slow-moving. Also, Kurosawa's sense of color can be a little off-putting, it takes some getting used to.

The last 20 minutes feel really drawn out to me. Painfully slow. Kagemusha feels like a rough draft of Ran to me.

KidDynamite posted:

Is there any chance of Seven Samurai coming out on Blu-ray anytime soon?

No, last I heard is Criterion has to wait 6 months after Toho owned films get released in Japan, or something like that. We won't see Seven Samurai until months after it's released in Japan.

quote:

Edit: Also what is the link to the site where you can download their dvd covers in high res?

Criterion dungeon? You mean for wallpapers?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Jack Does Jihad posted:

No, last I heard is Criterion has to wait 6 months after Toho owned films get released in Japan, or something like that. We won't see Seven Samurai until months after it's released in Japan.

Criterion dungeon? You mean for wallpapers?

Thanks for the info. I'll be picking up the Seven Samurai dvd this week and I'll probably buy the Blu-Ray as well since I love the film.

And Criterion Dungeon is exactly what I was looking for thanks!

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
I got The Friends of Eddie Coyle in from Netflix, and it's definitely worth at least a rental. It's the kind of gangster movie that nobody really makes anymore, low-key, realistic, and gritty.

The film is very of its time, to the point that I can't imagine it being made any time other than the early 70's, so if you're into that era of crime/police film-making you should check Eddie Coyle out.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

No one posted the cover for Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles yet so...

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Hot drat, L'Avventura is in this month's festival. I've been wanting to see that.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

The Lucas posted:

No one posted the cover for Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles yet so...

I have no idea what this movie is about, but this cover does a drat good job of making me want to see it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

FirstCongoWar posted:

I have no idea what this movie is about, but this cover does a drat good job of making me want to see it.

That's pretty much what it's about. There's a 10 minute scene of her making and drinking a cup of coffee.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

KidDynamite posted:

And Criterion Dungeon is exactly what I was looking for thanks!

That site got closed down and I think most of the images got moved to a different site but they haven't added any new ones for like a year.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Howard's End won the amazon contest.

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Last month, we offered customers the unique opportunity to vote for the next Blu-ray release from the Criterion Collection. We're excited to announce that "Howard's End [Blu-ray]" is the winning title and will be released from the Criterion Collection later this year. Why wait? You can pre-order "Howard's End- Criterion Collection [Blu-ray]" from Amazon.com today.

[Blu-ray]

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

A Merchant Ivory movie. Boy am I (un)interested.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wow, I was sure Kwaidan would win. Every Blu-Ray forum I went to had people saying they voted for it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm sure the average visitor to Amazon.com just voted for the one with actors they recognize.

Beaver reviews of My Dinner With Andre and Last Year at Marienbad (SD) are up.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wow, Bottle Rocket is a pretty awesome disc. Flawless transfer, but I'm impressed by how all the extras are 1080p - both native (like the A+ looking 16mm short) and clearly upscaled. I hate having to wait for the format to change over from 1080p to 480i.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Human Condition was pushed back to September 8th because of the discovery of stereo tracks for one of the films. Kind of a bummer, because I planned on getting it pretty soon after its release, but considering my finances this is a good thing.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Criminal Minded posted:

Human Condition was pushed back to September 8th because of the discovery of stereo tracks for one of the films. Kind of a bummer, because I planned on getting it pretty soon after its release, but considering my finances this is a good thing.

I gotta respect Criterion for going the extra mile and doing the right thing and holding back the release.

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Soderbergh's Che?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Soderbergh's Che?

That sounds possible. Soderbergh's been in the collection before (twice that I can think of) and fall would be the logical release time for it. It's the only noteworthy Che Guevara film I can think of, except Motorcycle Diaries which already has a DVD release (although not a stellar one).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Also, Amazon has Playtime down to $26.99 again.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AFX532/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Soderbergh's Che?
That was definitely my first thought. I missed my chance to see it in theatres and was wondering when the home release would be and this seems like perfect timing.

edit: now it seems like it's playing again in a different theatre in my city since the first time it was here was back in March?

Cacator fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 14, 2009

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I think it's most definetely Che. If I remember correctly, Motorcycle Diaries didn't feature much of the jungle. And that icon in the parrot's shirt is most definitely Che era's Che Guevara.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Those of you interested in checking out Che early, I saw it on the shelves of blockbuster a week or so ago in separate Part 1 and Part 2 editions with big "blockbuster exclusive!" banners on it.

I saw the roadshow version when it came through town, pretty epic stuff. I would be very interested in seeing a Criterion blu-ray of it, the film definitely deserves SOME sort of recognition.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

When do they actually announce the titles they tease that month? End of the month?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Lucas posted:

When do they actually announce the titles they tease that month? End of the month?

There's no rule... it depends on how far in advance they're teasing stuff. Early next week (probably Monday, since it's usually the 15th) we should get the September announcements, but they generally don't do an announcement so soon after the tease. So, in a month or two.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

I think FFD said something about the Bergman doc on The Seventh Seal being shorter than the one on the stand alone DVD. DVDTalk reviewed TSS and said it was the full 83 mins.

DVD Talk posted:

Bergman scholar and interviwer Marie Nyrerod contributes Bergman Island, a really interesting 83 minute in depth piece on the director.

Just thought I should mention it just in case people were thinking of buying both.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
A review I saw said both were the same length, but shorter than what was on TV.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Lucas posted:

I think FFD said something about the Bergman doc on The Seventh Seal being shorter than the one on the stand alone DVD. DVDTalk reviewed TSS and said it was the full 83 mins.

The full 3-part documentary is over 3 hours. Bergman Island is a condensed version.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews24/bergman_complete.htm

From what I understand, most (all?) of the theater part is cut. That's a shame, it features clips from some of his television productions that will likely never see the light of day on DVD.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

The full 3-part documentary is over 3 hours. Bergman Island is a condensed version.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews24/bergman_complete.htm

From what I understand, most (all?) of the theater part is cut. That's a shame, it features clips from some of his television productions that will likely never see the light of day on DVD.

Ahhhh ok.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Looks like it's definitely Soderbergh's Che

EDIT: also, Mulvaney has confirmed A Brighter Summer Day as a future release. A rather dull film, if you ask me, but I didn't like Yi Yi that much either.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 11, 2009

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Looks like it's definitely Soderbergh's Che

EDIT: also, Mulvaney has confirmed A Brighter Summer Day as a future release. A rather dull film, if you ask me, but I didn't like Yi Yi that much either.

I am so excited for Che. Day one purchase.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Che is one of the most visually stunning films I've seen in theaters - it really sold me on the Red. I hope and pray it gets a Blu-Ray - just based off of the print, it could be a standard setter.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is it any good? I haven't liked any of Soderbergh's movies for years.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm sure the average visitor to Amazon.com just voted for the one with actors they recognize.

Beaver reviews of My Dinner With Andre and Last Year at Marienbad (SD) are up.
I'm almost as excited for this as I am The Seventh Seal in HD. It's amazing and probably still up on Youtube for people who haven't seen it. It looks beautifully transfered, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I'm almost as excited for this as I am The Seventh Seal in HD. It's amazing and probably still up on Youtube for people who haven't seen it. It looks beautifully transfered, too.
Are you talking about Howard's End, My Dinner with Andre or Last Year at Marienbad? (or all three?)