Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

Exioce posted:

My old old wireless USB adapter (Win XP and 2K drivers only) naturally doesn't work with Windows 7. I messed about with Compatibility mode too, but no joy. I just need to ensure a new one works with Vista and i should be good, right? Additionally, any recommendations on adapters? I don't mind paying a little more for something known to be a quality product.
I have an old as hell Linksys wireless pci card. It didn't work at all. I hooked up direct to my router instead. Somehow, Windows 7 automatically downloaded some Dell drivers that work on my card, and now it works perfectly. Of course, win7 now things my Linksys card is a Dell card, but it works.

Try and have Windows7 automatically search for drivers, you might get lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Shannow posted:

I am going to throw it on my main machine soon, the only thing i want to know is if it's possible to have the sidebar from vista back, as I'm used to having that permanently on top and would miss not having my wee clipboard history gadget always there.

I don't think so, but the sidebar has been replaced with the ability to put those same gadgets anywhere on the desktop.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Relambrien posted:

^^^^^^I'll try that if things don't work out here. But I like the secure desktop functionality.

Well for some reason, I went to go check Ventrilo's properties and it was in XP SP2 compatibility mode, instead of Vista. I guess I did something with the "Troubleshoot compatibility" function that changed it. Anyway, that's taken care of now.

As for WoW, it's currently running in XP SP3 compatibility. If I set it to Vista or higher, the game doesn't load correctly. But as per my previous edit, even without compatibility and running as administrator, it still requires a UAC prompt. The difference is that in compatibility mode, the prompt occurs before the launcher appears. Out of compatibility mode, the prompt appears after clicking "Play" on the launcher.

Sounds to me like it was installed in compatibility mode or has messed with permissions by having been run in those modes, now effectively requiring you to use them to access all game content. I know how long it takes to reinstall, but $5 says removing and reinstalling WoW entirely without ever using compatibility mode makes it work properly.

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here

m2pt5 posted:

I don't think so, but the sidebar has been replaced with the ability to put those same gadgets anywhere on the desktop.
Though I'm not using it myself, I remember seeing that gadgets can be added by right clicking on the desktop and there is a context menu there to add them. I think you have to download the Windows Live Extras or whatever it's called to do it.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

wolrah posted:

Sounds to me like it was installed in compatibility mode or has messed with permissions by having been run in those modes, now effectively requiring you to use them to access all game content. I know how long it takes to reinstall, but $5 says removing and reinstalling WoW entirely without ever using compatibility mode makes it work properly.

Setting it into compatibility mode was actually the response to the game beginning -not- to work. It installed just fine, and played just fine for a couple times without being run as administrator or in compatibility mode. So I poked around in a bunch of settings, and eventually found that running in compatibility mode was the only way to reliably make it work.

Note that the UAC prompts were still happening before making the compatibility mode changes.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of gadgets, do you guys have any good recommendations? Right now I only have the weather one, but last time I tried to look for one in the MS website, the only thing I could find were some lovely RSS readers that wanted to charge me for daring to put in my own RSS feeds instead of the default ones.

Edit: also, is the Device page kind of random on whether it recognizes the devices plugged in. Some days it will be able to tell that my mouse is a Logitech MX518, and that my phone is an iPhone (and give it the right pictures and name, which is really cool), and then it'll just assign them as generic devices.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 9, 2009

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Shannow posted:

Wacom drivers -> show-desktop-button-zilla

That's a side effect of installing pen or tablet functionality. You're stuck with it unless you suddenly don't want your Wacom drivers installed anymore.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That's a side effect of installing pen or tablet functionality. You're stuck with it unless you suddenly don't want your Wacom drivers installed anymore.

There must be a registry value to kick this in the nuts.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
All you people talking about "elevating privileges" and all this UAC discussion about having it on yet not getting any prompts is confusing the hell out of me. Is there a general guide out there to keep UAC on but not get any prompts? Do you have to do it folder by folder and tick "Run this program as an administrator" on the program's .exe?

For WinRAR, I have it ticked, get prompted every time I open an RAR file, but then I can extract it wherever the hell I want, but with other programs like Paint, "Run this program as an administrator" is greyed out. :confused:

I didn't realize how important UAC was, because I had it disabled in Vista. Now I have it at the default level in Win7, and I would like to learn all this file permission stuff so I can keep it on.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Shannow posted:

edit - also, what earthly need is there for there to be so much space on either side of the clock?!

Most people run the taskbar on 7 with large icons so you're missing the date etc from your clock.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

c0burn posted:

Most people run the taskbar on 7 with large icons so you're missing the date etc from your clock.

Indeed, and there is the option to have the date in that space, but there's no reason to keep so much space when you've opted to turn it off. I'd like to be able to narrow the space between icons in the notification area anyway though, the feel a bit overly sread oout, though i suppose that's to do with it's 'reinvention'.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Charles Martel posted:

All you people talking about "elevating privileges" and all this UAC discussion about having it on yet not getting any prompts is confusing the hell out of me. Is there a general guide out there to keep UAC on but not get any prompts? Do you have to do it folder by folder and tick "Run this program as an administrator" on the program's .exe?

For WinRAR, I have it ticked, get prompted every time I open an RAR file, but then I can extract it wherever the hell I want, but with other programs like Paint, "Run this program as an administrator" is greyed out. :confused:

I didn't realize how important UAC was, because I had it disabled in Vista. Now I have it at the default level in Win7, and I would like to learn all this file permission stuff so I can keep it on.

Not getting any prompts would really defeat the main purpose of UAC.

I think a lot of people have problems with UAC prompting for them where it doesn't for others is because they turn it off, and then later turn it on after they've installed stuff.

Pretty much the only time I get UAC prompts is when I want to write to Program Files. I'd agree with the earlier statement about a couple of UAC prompts a day and I run all sorts of poo poo on my system. I run multiple games through steam every day. I use Ventrillo extensively. I do lots of development in various programming languages. Basically, I'm a heavy user of all sorts of software, and I constantly try out beta software. I've got an addiction to trying out all the stuff they mention on Lifehacker.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

free bowl of soup posted:

I have an old as hell Linksys wireless pci card. It didn't work at all. I hooked up direct to my router instead. Somehow, Windows 7 automatically downloaded some Dell drivers that work on my card, and now it works perfectly. Of course, win7 now things my Linksys card is a Dell card, but it works.

Try and have Windows7 automatically search for drivers, you might get lucky.

I bet Dell has a card with the same chipset as your Intel card (which makes sense because Dell tends to use Intel chipsets for wireless anyway), and Dell was still selling the card recently enough to have updated drivers for Vista and therefore 7.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
WoW likes to write to lots of files in its program directory, which doesn't combine very well with UAC. Either installing it to somewhere other than Program Files or granting your account admin access to WoW's folder should make it work correctly without compatibility mode.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xenomorph posted:

doPDF is what I've been using for a while. It works fine on all systems I've put it on. XP/32, Vista 32/64, and Win7 32/64.
doPDF is giving me weird PDFs where text isn't smooth and everything looks like it has been poorly resized.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Plorkyeran posted:

WoW likes to write to lots of files in its program directory, which doesn't combine very well with UAC. Either installing it to somewhere other than Program Files or granting your account admin access to WoW's folder should make it work correctly without compatibility mode.

Also don't use that lovely launcher.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Ugh, XPMode is driving me nuts. If it didn't come with a free version of WinXP, I'd ditch it for VMWare right away.

My Win7 partition is pretty small (only 30gb), so I don't have much spare room to create a virtual machine on it too. However, XPMode doesn't seem to support storing virtual machines anywhere but your c: drive (somewhere in AppData, specifically).

It let's you move your 'parent disk' (which is the equivalent to the install CD, I think) wherever you want to, but it doesn't give you a choice as to where you want your actual VM's disk to install to.

What makes matters worse, is that once you get it installed, there's an option to move the HD file in the VM's settings. However, if you move it out of its default location, VirtualPC won't load it and makes you re-install XP next time you try to start up your VM!

syphon fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 9, 2009

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

Josh Lyman posted:

doPDF is giving me weird PDFs where text isn't smooth and everything looks like it has been poorly resized.

How about CutePDF Writer?

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

fishmech posted:

I bet Dell has a card with the same chipset as your Intel card (which makes sense because Dell tends to use Intel chipsets for wireless anyway), and Dell was still selling the card recently enough to have updated drivers for Vista and therefore 7.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I bet Exioce has a pretty generic old usb wireless adapter, so he might get lucky and have Win7 automatically grab drivers that will work.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
Is anyone having trouble with the screensaver not starting? Because mine isn't. I googled and it seems to be a common problem in XP/Vista (didn't happen to me in XP before I upgraded though) related to wireless mice or keyboards. I have a (wired) G5 Logitech mouse but tried unplugging it...and voila, the screensaver starts!
Anyone has any idea how to fix this? Or will I have to unplug my mouse every time I leave my computer? :(

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is 7 64bit going to care where I put my games? Will they perform differently depending on whether or not I put them into 'Program Files x86' 'Program Files' or 'Game Files'?

I asked this in the Windows thread and never really got an answer. But I still don't understand what the point of the x86 Program Files folder is for.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Ziploc posted:

Is 7 64bit going to care where I put my games? Will they perform differently depending on whether or not I put them into 'Program Files x86' 'Program Files' or 'Game Files'?

I asked this in the Windows thread and never really got an answer. But I still don't understand what the point of the x86 Program Files folder is for.

Program Files (x86) is for 32 bit apps, when install an application to the environment variable for program files the OS will return Program Files for 64-bit or Program Files (x86) for 32-bit.

Guessing it's so you can have both 32 & 64 bit versions of apps installed side by side, but I don't know the official reason.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Any game that installs I put it in the correct program files folder, but I made a separate games folder in my user folder for all the poo poo that I just have to unarchive so I don't have to deal with the UAC prompts.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I really like it when my c: drive looks like this:

Program Files
Game Files
Users
Windows

This is a bad idea?

I don't really care about the (x86) directory. I just like having a separate place for my games.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 9, 2009

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Ziploc posted:

I really like it when my c: drive looks like this:

Program Files
Game Files
Users
Windows

This is a bad idea?

I don't really care about the (x86) directory. I just like having a separate place for my games.

There's nothing wrong with that. I put all of my games onto a totally separate drive. Install them where you want, I was just explaining why there's two Program Files directories.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Ziploc posted:

No, Windows doesn't care at all about where a program is. Things only break if the program uses hard coded paths or you move it after installation.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Perfect. Thanks. I wanted to know this before I started all the Steam downloads. :)

I'm really enjoying Windows7. Its a shame I'm graduating before I'll be able to MSDNAA it.

Cheers.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I purchased a new drive, so I get to have all my games on a drive separate from Windows.

C:
\Users
\Program Files
\Program Files (x86)
\Windows

D:
\Games

Setting D:\Games to have an owner of "Administrators" and then giving the "Everyone" group full access means I never worry about games triggering UAC because of a protected path issue.

Works great, unless the game had lovely programmers. In the 3 years of using Vista, I've only seen "Warhammer Online" and "Savage 2" trigger UAC for absolutely no reason.
My daughter loves fantasy online games, but I hated that I couldn't let her play Warhammer Online without it prompting for the Admin password on her system every time she tried to load it up.

Bringing up the fact those games trigger UAC needlessly on either of their support forums resulted in many people saying "just disable UAC" and "this is why Vista sucks".
I believe the developers' official stance with Savage 2 is to disable UAC or simply stick with XP.
And that is just great; after over a decade of poo poo programming allowed by Windows, Microsoft tries to fix things only to have developers recommend people use older versions of Windows so they can continue their poo poo programming.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low

Ziploc posted:

Perfect. Thanks. I wanted to know this before I started all the Steam downloads. :)

I'm really enjoying Windows7. Its a shame I'm graduating before I'll be able to MSDNAA it.

Cheers.

You can do that no problem, but one thing I've found I like about 7 is the libraries. You can pin the libraries folder to the task bar, and set any folder as a library. I make a game library, and can have any folders I want in that library. Steam is one, and I also link other game install folders. So I click the libraries icon, then games, and all my games are in their default install folders (helpful for mods sometimes) and conveniently listed for me in my Games library.

El Diabolico
Dec 19, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just got around to popping this on to try it out and I'm really liking W7 (it runs as good and snappy as XP on this hunk of junk)...except for one thing.

I am getting this bizarre network issue where, for whatever reason, the DNS will not resolve and the internet generally ceases to function. It seems to work by typing IPs in. I can connect to my router and anywhere else if I use the IP but it wont connect normally. Firefox and IE times out. Also, the network stuff says that everything is connected fine but when I run a diagnosis it tells me it mysteriously cant connect to the internet.

I've tried 4 different drivers for my on-board nic, an Nforce4: 32bit in compatibility mode, vista x64, W7 x64, and the ones W7 comes with and they all act the same. Even manually setting IPs and DNS servers doesn't work at all. It acts the same. I managed to find a work around, though. by disabling and re enabling the connection then unsettling and resetting a DNS server (I used opendns in this case)and verifying the connection by checking the box, eventually it starts working normally until you turn it off and then goes back to its previous behavior.

Anyone got any ideas on how to permanently fix something like this? Its tarnishing what would otherwise be the smoothest OS install I've ever done.

I would've dumped this in the support forum but this place seems more appropriate. I've also been hearing others have been having similar networking issues.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

El Diabolico posted:

I just got around to popping this on to try it out and I'm really liking W7 (it runs as good and snappy as XP on this hunk of junk)...except for one thing.

I am getting this bizarre network issue where, for whatever reason, the DNS will not resolve and the internet generally ceases to function. It seems to work by typing IPs in. I can connect to my router and anywhere else if I use the IP but it wont connect normally. Firefox and IE times out. Also, the network stuff says that everything is connected fine but when I run a diagnosis it tells me it mysteriously cant connect to the internet.

I've tried 4 different drivers for my on-board nic, an Nforce4: 32bit in compatibility mode, vista x64, W7 x64, and the ones W7 comes with and they all act the same. Even manually setting IPs and DNS servers doesn't work at all. It acts the same. I managed to find a work around, though. by disabling and re enabling the connection then unsettling and resetting a DNS server (I used opendns in this case)and verifying the connection by checking the box, eventually it starts working normally until you turn it off and then goes back to its previous behavior.

Anyone got any ideas on how to permanently fix something like this? Its tarnishing what would otherwise be the smoothest OS install I've ever done.

I would've dumped this in the support forum but this place seems more appropriate. I've also been hearing others have been having similar networking issues.

Does it still happen if you set your DNS servers to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Are there any significant problems with running W7 without Aero? I want to put it on my mom's computer, but that machine only has a GeForce 4 MMX.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Are there any significant problems with running W7 without Aero? I want to put it on my mom's computer, but that machine only has a GeForce 4 MMX.

I've run Win 7's Aero on a GeForce 4 MX just fine, after turning off glass. Assuming what year that computer is likely to be form, Aero will make Windoiws 7 run great on that piece of poo poo compared to Windows XP (which is probably on there).

El Diabolico
Dec 19, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

fishmech posted:

Does it still happen if you set your DNS servers to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2?

Yeah, just tested this out. It acts the same way.

I also would like to note that I can ping sites (i.e. ping <sitenamehere>.com) via console and it goes through, but when I toss that site into firefox or ie, nothing connects and it times out. I turned off all firewalls too just in case that was it but that's not the problem. also, after i use the little trick to get it working it sometimes drops the connection after a while. Its all kinds of weird, really.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

univbee posted:

Q: Should I install 32-bit or take the plunge to 64-bit?

A:
You should almost definitely install the 64-bit version unless one of the following is true:

- Your processor doesn't support 64-bit (Netbooks, older processors like Pentium 4s and single-core Intels). If you're not sure if your processor is capable, you can check your current system for compatibility using SecurAble available here.
- You have a piece of hardware with no 64-bit driver (printers can be especially problematic with this)
- Your computer doesn't have hardware virtualization and you have software like Cisco VPN that won't work on Vista 64-bit (if your computer supports hardware virtualization, the software will likely work in XP Mode described later)
- You want to play Windows games using Gametap (note: Gametap is actively working on this, so if you can wait, it'll be 64-bit-capable soon)

64-bit means taking full advantage of systems with 4 gigs of RAM or more. Dell and other OEMs are starting to include 64-bit Windows installs on their systems that have this much memory, so there's definitely market pressure to ensure software and hardware is supported on 64-bit systems.

The days of 64-bit meaning hunting for drivers or not being able to run software are mostly a thing of the past. In fact, Microsoft has already stopped producing 32-bit server OSes (Windows 2008 R2, also due out soon, will be 64-bit only; Windows Server 2008 is Microsoft's last 32-bit server OS); whether a 32-bit version of Windows 8 will be made available remains to be seen.

Holy poo poo my Core 2 Duo T5750 is actually a 64-bit processor? Why the gently caress did I think it was a 32-bit processor when I bought 32-bit Vista Home Premium the year before?

:smith:

Edit: Actually, this laptop came with 32-bit Vista when I bought it a year a go. Why, Best Buy, why.

Edit 2: If I have 32-bit Vista, can I still download 64-bit Windows 7 and install it on a new partition to dual boot?

Ziir fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 10, 2009

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Ziir posted:

Edit 2: If I have 32-bit Vista, can I still download 64-bit Windows 7 and install it on a new partition to dual boot?

Yes.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

fishmech posted:

I've run Win 7's Aero on a GeForce 4 MX just fine, after turning off glass. Assuming what year that computer is likely to be form, Aero will make Windoiws 7 run great on that piece of poo poo compared to Windows XP (which is probably on there).
I thought Aero only worked on DX9+ cards?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ziir posted:

Actually, this laptop came with 32-bit Vista when I bought it a year a go. Why, Best Buy, why.

Because
A) the myth of driver issues was still alive (and a year or two before that it was still real and not just a myth), and describing changes in corporate culture as glacial would be generous
B) not having 4 GB is an excuse to throw 32 bit on there so their precious subsidyware doesn't break
C) they probably still had people whining at them about how their own crappy software wouldn't work in x64, and
D) if you haven't gathered it from Best Buy yet, their personal opinion is probably "Because gently caress you, consumer".

quote:

No reason you shouldn't be able to.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Relambrien posted:

^^^^^^I'll try that if things don't work out here. But I like the secure desktop functionality.

Well for some reason, I went to go check Ventrilo's properties and it was in XP SP2 compatibility mode, instead of Vista. I guess I did something with the "Troubleshoot compatibility" function that changed it. Anyway, that's taken care of now.

As for WoW, it's currently running in XP SP3 compatibility. If I set it to Vista or higher, the game doesn't load correctly. But as per my previous edit, even without compatibility and running as administrator, it still requires a UAC prompt. The difference is that in compatibility mode, the prompt occurs before the launcher appears. Out of compatibility mode, the prompt appears after clicking "Play" on the launcher.

That is colossally hosed up. As I said earlier, the only time I ever get a UAC prompt related to WoW is with the automatic updater. Make a backup of your game directory, reinstall to [home drive]/users/public/games and then copy the old directory over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

El Diabolico posted:

I've had the exact same thing happen on an oldder AMD system (Nforce chipset, socket 939 processor). I eventually pegged it down to a windows update patch breaking browsing. I could still ping sites via domain name or ip, but nothing worked in any browser.

I have no idea what could be causing that on Windows 7? :|