Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

El Diabolico posted:

I just got around to popping this on to try it out and I'm really liking W7 (it runs as good and snappy as XP on this hunk of junk)...except for one thing.

I am getting this bizarre network issue where, for whatever reason, the DNS will not resolve and the internet generally ceases to function. It seems to work by typing IPs in. I can connect to my router and anywhere else if I use the IP but it wont connect normally. Firefox and IE times out. Also, the network stuff says that everything is connected fine but when I run a diagnosis it tells me it mysteriously cant connect to the internet.

I've tried 4 different drivers for my on-board nic, an Nforce4: 32bit in compatibility mode, vista x64, W7 x64, and the ones W7 comes with and they all act the same. Even manually setting IPs and DNS servers doesn't work at all. It acts the same. I managed to find a work around, though. by disabling and re enabling the connection then unsettling and resetting a DNS server (I used opendns in this case)and verifying the connection by checking the box, eventually it starts working normally until you turn it off and then goes back to its previous behavior.

Anyone got any ideas on how to permanently fix something like this? Its tarnishing what would otherwise be the smoothest OS install I've ever done.

I would've dumped this in the support forum but this place seems more appropriate. I've also been hearing others have been having similar networking issues.

Have you taken a look at Internet Options? Is it possible IE is set to use some retarded proxy that doesn't exist, or some other weird connection setting? That's a really strange bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

O_P
Sep 4, 2006

Bots ain't nothing but bolts and bling.
OK, so I have the RC installed on my macbook pro and can access it via VMware fusion.
It's all going fine except for the usual having to activate it every time I switch between osx and windows booting. But I can live with that.

What I can't live with is not being able to use my Option GT Expresscard 3G modem.
The 64 bit vista drivers will not install. The software for the card fails to see it.
I can't upgrade the firmware on the card without drivers and I can't figure out how to make them work.
I've tried compatability modes to no avail. The inf files will not install by selecting it from a right click and the autorun.inf file in the setup folder for the drivers has about 12 different options and I have no idea which one to pick.
(this all works fine in osx, so I know the card works)

I'm thinking I might have to go back to XP.
I'd use my XP image in fusion, but fusion can't use expresscard stuff :(

Any ideas?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

You Am I posted:

I thought Aero only worked on DX9+ cards?

Correct. Aero requires DirectX 9 hardware that supports WDDM functions. Some chipsets that claim DX9 (like some Intel shitsets) don't have all the hardware there, so no Aero.

GeForce 4 MX doesn't have DX9. It doesn't even have DX8. It is a DX7 card, with zero shader capability. So it has no way of doing Aero.

fishmech posted:

I've run Win 7's Aero on a GeForce 4 MX just fine, after turning off glass. Assuming what year that computer is likely to be form, Aero will make Windoiws 7 run great on that piece of poo poo compared to Windows XP (which is probably on there).

I would love to see this. Turning off Glass? That is pretty much Aero. GF4MX can't do Aero.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Unexpected EOF posted:

That is colossally hosed up. As I said earlier, the only time I ever get a UAC prompt related to WoW is with the automatic updater. Make a backup of your game directory, reinstall to [home drive]/users/public/games and then copy the old directory over that.

Yeah, I did basically this, and now it's working fine. I'm not exactly sure why UAC seems to be so flaky, but I'm not going to complain now that everything's working. Thanks all.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
It's not flakey. If something triggers it, something triggers it.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

c0burn posted:

It's not flakey. If something triggers it, something triggers it.

Installing one program and having it throw UAC prompts, then uninstalling and reinstalling it the same way and not having it throw UAC prompts seems pretty flaky to me.

I didn't mean to say that UAC seems to choose when it wants to trigger, but rather that it's extremely odd that a program (in my case WoW) seems to do something different with UAC when reinstalled, even when reinstalled the same way. I know very well this isn't a fault of UAC.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xenomorph posted:

Correct. Aero requires DirectX 9 hardware that supports WDDM functions. Some chipsets that claim DX9 (like some Intel shitsets) don't have all the hardware there, so no Aero.

GeForce 4 MX doesn't have DX9. It doesn't even have DX8. It is a DX7 card, with zero shader capability. So it has no way of doing Aero.

I would love to see this. Turning off Glass? That is pretty much Aero. GF4MX can't do Aero.

All I know is the original video card in the desktop I'm typing on was a GeForce 4 MX series card for the AGP slot, and when I first installed 7 6801 back in late 2008 I was using Aero, although the Glass effects were painfully slow. Turning off Glass but still using Aero, the system was much more responsive than in XP or with Aero off. Currently I have an ATI Radeon 9550 in here and Aero Glass is beautifully fast.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Relambrien posted:

Installing one program and having it throw UAC prompts, then uninstalling and reinstalling it the same way and not having it throw UAC prompts seems pretty flaky to me.

I didn't mean to say that UAC seems to choose when it wants to trigger, but rather that it's extremely odd that a program (in my case WoW) seems to do something different with UAC when reinstalled, even when reinstalled the same way. I know very well this isn't a fault of UAC.

It's not that. Program Files is protected. Nothing is supposed to write there after an install expect for updates. That is what App Data is for. Wow likes to write lots of stuff all the time, so it has to trigger the prompt.

Hrochard
Feb 24, 2003
Demogorgon
I've been having nagging sound issues in W7. I have an Audigy 2. I installed the latest Creative drivers (2.18.0010), which promptly crashed my system upon reboot. So then I download the previous drivers (2.12.0002) and ran them in Vista compatibility mode, and they're working. However, music and other sound sources constantly "click" throughout.

Is anyone running an Audigy (or Audigy 2) without problems? If so, what drivers are you using?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Is it a regular click or a random click?

Either way, you should know better than to use official Creative driver distributions for an Audigy card past XP. (They've been total dicks about it to try to move everyone on to X-Fi. Because they desperately need people to not be using Audigy when motherboards frequently come with ALC888 or better.) Try these on for size.

Hrochard
Feb 24, 2003
Demogorgon
It's a random click. Almost like clipping (or perhaps it is clipping). Thanks--I'll give those a shot. I've been using XP Pro and skipped Vista altogether, so I wasn't aware of the problems.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I have an Audigy 2 ZS, and it's been flawless with Windows 7. I just used the drivers that Windows installed originally, haven't bothered getting new ones from Creative.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Does MS ever get pissed off and just write drivers for stuff themselves? Like when you see driver provider = Microsoft?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Hrochard posted:

I've been having nagging sound issues in W7. I have an Audigy 2. I installed the latest Creative drivers (2.18.0010), which promptly crashed my system upon reboot. So then I download the previous drivers (2.12.0002) and ran them in Vista compatibility mode, and they're working. However, music and other sound sources constantly "click" throughout.

Is anyone running an Audigy (or Audigy 2) without problems? If so, what drivers are you using?

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=139702#M139702

I have an Audigy 2 ZS running on Build 7100x64 using the above drivers without any problems at all.

Vyse
Jan 27, 2005
I've been using 7 as my sole OS for a while now, and decided yesterday to install XP as a dual boot option, but I'm getting an odd issue. After installing XP it's the only recognized OS, and to get 7 available again I had to use the install dvd for it and have it repair. After the repair 7 is now the only recognized OS, I've never really played around with dual booting before, and I'm having a hard time finding any info about this issue on google, am I missing something really basic?

LonelyKing
Feb 2, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm having a weird issue with chkdsk. I've googled around and haven't seen something similar (the only other one I found was where chkdsk got caught in an infinite loop, which this isn't). But basically, Action Center randomly reports the hard drive as having issues and schedules it to start on the next reboot. When I reboot, the countdown comes up and when it gets to 1 it just freezes and doesn't do anything. It also doesn't immediately skip the check when I hit my keys, and sometimes it'll just freeze instead of skipping at all.

I'm running 64-bit on a Dell XPS 16 laptop that has an SSD instead of a standard HD if that makes a difference.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Because
A) the myth of driver issues was still alive (and a year or two before that it was still real and not just a myth), and describing changes in corporate culture as glacial would be generous
B) not having 4 GB is an excuse to throw 32 bit on there so their precious subsidyware doesn't break
C) they probably still had people whining at them about how their own crappy software wouldn't work in x64, and
D) if you haven't gathered it from Best Buy yet, their personal opinion is probably "Because gently caress you, consumer".

No reason you shouldn't be able to.

Okay, and there are no adverse effects that can happen if I dual boot Vista and Windows 7? I remember when the beta first came out, there were people saying that dual booting Vista and Windows 7 caused lots of problems with Vista because Windows 7 would write to the Vista partition even though you tell it not to, or something like that. Basically, I want to be able to uninstall Windows 7 when the trial runs out and as far as my computer and Vista would know it will be like I never installed Windows 7 in the first place.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Alright, I'm giving 7 a try coming from a Mac.

I'm looking for an email program that can connect to my various mail accounts (personal, work, independent business), and shows a new mail tag on the taskbar icon. (like mail.app on Macs). Does something like this exist?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
The large taskbar icons like this are a really new concept to windows, so they don't really support the 'badges' you're used to in OSX.

I wonder if that will come in time, or if the icon will stay static?

Either way, most e-mail programs will throw a notification into the System Tray, which is probably the closest you're gonna get.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ziir posted:

Edit: Actually, this laptop came with 32-bit Vista when I bought it a year a go. Why, Best Buy, why.

Pre-loading 64-bit Vista onto a computer is only just now becoming a "standard" thing. For quite a long time, computer manufacturers were pretty much only loading 32-bit versions of Vista to avoid support calls for why lovely program X doesn't work. Hell, even now, Gametap, a reasonably popular service, doesn't support 64-bit OSes (it's only just beginning to change, and will probably take a while to be a 100% support thing).

Currently, if you buy a Dell PC, the way it seems to be is that you get the 32-bit version if the system your buying's max RAM is 4 gigs or less and comes with less than 4 gigs of RAM, and if the max RAM is something like 8 gigs and the system comes with 4, you get the 64-bit version. This is pretty recent, though, I think a year ago you'd have been hard pressed to find a 64-bit OS pre-loaded on a laptop.

This SHOULD change with Windows 7, especially now that entry-level PCs are coming with 4 gigs of RAM as standard. The only company I know of right now that flat-out doesn't support 64-bit is Cisco, although odds are good their VPN software should work with XP Mode now (can anyone confirm this?) I'm curious to see how it'll be packaged in the retail editions; I really hope they issue dual discs on all SKUs this time and not just for Retail Ultimate purchases.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

SuperCaptainJ posted:

I'm looking for an email program that can connect to my various mail accounts (personal, work, independent business), and shows a new mail tag on the taskbar icon. (like mail.app on Macs). Does something like this exist?

Outlook 2010 does it, so it can be done.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

The only company I know of right now that flat-out doesn't support 64-bit is Cisco, although odds are good their VPN software should work with XP Mode now (can anyone confirm this?)

I have the Cisco VPN client installed in my XP Mode. It connects and works, but only for applications running in XP Mode.

I use it for some work stuff, but I run IE7 in XP mode, as well as Putty or any other application I need to access resources through the VPN.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I love Best Buy's last line

quote:

Other retailers will also offer the presell, but they will not be able to compete with our Geek Squad services offerings in addition to the presell options.

I offer the same services and charge a hell of a lot less than $300 for an on-site call. Also, I know how to work around my "magic disc" not fixing the problem :colbert:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

SuperCaptainJ posted:

http://windows7center.com/news/windows-7-gmail-notifier-plus/ supports it for Gmail.

syphon posted:

The large taskbar icons like this are a really new concept to windows, so they don't really support the 'badges' you're used to in OSX.

I wonder if that will come in time, or if the icon will stay static?

Either way, most e-mail programs will throw a notification into the System Tray, which is probably the closest you're gonna get.

Incorrect, they're supported and already available in different apps.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
On the note of taskbar icon performance, do all IM apps have the nice flashing notification like windows live messenger does? The way it works is slick enough to get me back to using some sort of actual AIM client instead of just gmail. If so, what's a non-lovely AIM client that people are using these days?

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

Vyse posted:

I've been using 7 as my sole OS for a while now, and decided yesterday to install XP as a dual boot option, but I'm getting an odd issue. After installing XP it's the only recognized OS, and to get 7 available again I had to use the install dvd for it and have it repair. After the repair 7 is now the only recognized OS, I've never really played around with dual booting before, and I'm having a hard time finding any info about this issue on google, am I missing something really basic?

I'm guessing the repair install simply reloads the default bootloader, which doesn't include entries for any other operating systems. You'd need to do a full reinstall of Windows 7 after installing XP for it to detect it and add it to the boot menu.

It's not that big a deal, you don't have to format or anything. Just back up your user directory and settings first.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Dogen posted:

On the note of taskbar icon performance, do all IM apps have the nice flashing notification like windows live messenger does? The way it works is slick enough to get me back to using some sort of actual AIM client instead of just gmail. If so, what's a non-lovely AIM client that people are using these days?

I don't know what WLM does for notification, but Digsby jumps to orange, stays for a second, fades out and repeated. It just kinda flashes like old Taskbar buttons.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dogen posted:

Pidgin's icon glows when you get a message. It's probably the best client out there right now.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Casao posted:

I don't know what WLM does for notification, but Digsby jumps to orange, stays for a second, fades out and repeated. It just kinda flashes like old Taskbar buttons.

It does the orange fade in/fade out, and then eventually stays orange until you look at it. I know it's not that different from the taskbar item flashing blue, but... it is somehow. Also, peek will clean up the experience of having like 12 windows open at once, I hope.

edit: I see pidgin is some kind of gaim offshoot, I assume they have fixed the horrible ugliness problem that it used to have?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Dogen posted:

Outlook 2010 does it, so it can be done.

Not for me it doesn't. Hell, the tray notifications don't even work for me. Did you have to turn it on somewhere?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Fallom posted:

Pidgin's icon glows when you get a message. It's probably the best client out there right now.

Why do you hate our freedoms?

Dogen posted:

It does the orange fade in/fade out, and then eventually stays orange until you look at it. I know it's not that different from the taskbar item flashing blue, but... it is somehow. Also, peek will clean up the experience of having like 12 windows open at once, I hope.

edit: I see pidgin is some kind of gaim offshoot, I assume they have fixed the horrible ugliness problem that it used to have?

Ah, I think Digsby might eventually stick plain orange after a while, I can't remember.

Pidgin IS gaim, AOL forced them to change their name. It's still ugly as sin and the devs still hate their users. Digsby is the way to go for Windows IM clients, though Trillian Astra hit public beta today so it's a consideration. If you do go with Digsby, be sure to get the alt installer without the crap.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

xamphear posted:

Not for me it doesn't. Hell, the tray notifications don't even work for me. Did you have to turn it on somewhere?

It's not super noticeable, and it doesn't have a number telling you how many messages you have like mail.app does, but there is a little envelope there on the taskbar icon when I have a new message. I don't recall turning it on anywhere.

Casao posted:

:words:

Yeah digsby looks clean yet reasonably stylish enough, I'll check it out when I get home.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I have the Cisco VPN client installed in my XP Mode. It connects and works, but only for applications running in XP Mode.

I use it for some work stuff, but I run IE7 in XP mode, as well as Putty or any other application I need to access resources through the VPN.

It only works for apps running in "XP Mode" since the VPN'd network is virtual, and only visible to others using that virtual network.

If XP Mode really is just VirtualPC, then there should be a work-around.

Open XP's Control Panel -> Network settings. It has its own virtual network, right?

That has to be shared, first.
If you're using Cisco VPN, go to its network properties and enable “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.
Then set a static IP for the virtual Local Area Connection. Establish the VPN connection, and then in the Host OS (Win7/64), you have to add Static routes from your real network connection to the virtual local area connection.

http://xenomorph.net/?page_id=573

I haven't been able to test it on my system with Windows7 and XP Mode (since I purchased one of them Intel CPUs that they decided to disable VT on). I've only done it with VMware, VirtualBox, and VirtualPC. So I don't know for sure if it works in XP Mode (YET).

After sharing the Cisco connection, I set the VirtualPC "Local Area Connection" IP address to 192.168.1.25.
My previous employer had all their stuff on the 10.10.1.0 network.
So, after I shared the virtual network adapter, I ran this in the host/x64:

route -p add 10.10.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.25

So, when I connected via VPN in the guest OS, I could get to the 10.10.1.0 network through it with Apps running on the host/x64 OS.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Dogen posted:

It's not super noticeable, and it doesn't have a number telling you how many messages you have like mail.app does, but there is a little envelope there on the taskbar icon when I have a new message. I don't recall turning it on anywhere.
On the actual pinned big fullsize icon? Not the tiny one down in the tray?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

xamphear posted:

Correct. I do have it pinned, but I don't think that would make a difference.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Casao posted:

If you do go with Digsby, be sure to get the alt installer without the crap.

This is interesting since I've been wanting to try something other than Pidgin. Where is this alt installer you speak of, and can you create "aliases" for people on your buddy list like you can in Pidgin?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Charles Martel posted:

This is interesting since I've been wanting to try something other than Pidgin. Where is this alt installer you speak of, and can you create "aliases" for people on your buddy list like you can in Pidgin?

It's on the download page, or linked in the OP of the Digsby thread here. Something like 'If you're having problems installing or putting it on a flashdrive".

As for Aliases, it's supported by pretty much every IM protocol natively, and Digsby supports storing them server side and renaming. I don't know anyone's IM names since I've got other names listed.

It also supports metacontacts, in case you have friends cross-protocols or with lots of usernames.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

xamphear posted:

It can definitely be done, as that stupid WinFox program added a badge to Firefox with the number of open tabs. It had other annoying traits, but that worked OK.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Dogen posted:

Correct. I do have it pinned, but I don't think that would make a difference.

I have it pinned to the start menu, not the task bar.
I have my rules set to spawn desktop alerts as well as the semi transparent pop up thing (as defined obviously). The desktop alerts obviously show up on the taskbar.

Is this what you mean?
Any chance of a screen cap?

I must admit, I'm loving Office 2k10 almost as much as W7.
It'll be lovely when its got all its icons and pretty bits in place.

Having it automatically arrange mails by conversation is awesome.
Its saved me a whole bunch of searching around for stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF

url posted:

I have it pinned to the start menu, not the task bar.

The badges work only for applications that are currently running and located in the task bar.