Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

allWesNoMess
Dec 19, 2007
cut and dry

krushgroove posted:

Your NiCad batteries are probably dead (meaning they won't be able to be charged up reliably), you'd be better off getting one or two of the LiPo batteries and a charger - this would probably cost you as much as 4 NiMH batteries but you'll have the same amount of runtime. If you were to get NiMH batteries, you might need a new NiMH-capable charger anyway, because a NiCad charger won't properly charge NiMH batteries.

How much run time are you talking? I could maybe get 5-10 minutes out of my tamiya tl-01 shaft drive 4wd car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
In that car you could probably get 30 minutes or more with a 4800mAh or so battery (I don't know first-hand), so with a LiPo pack with high milliamp hour rating (mAh) you've got 3x the runtime already.

allWesNoMess
Dec 19, 2007
cut and dry

krushgroove posted:

In that car you could probably get 30 minutes or more with a 4800mAh or so battery (I don't know first-hand), so with a LiPo pack with high milliamp hour rating (mAh) you've got 3x the runtime already.

So what's a good site that you guys go to for this kind of stuff?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Depends where you live, if you're in the US Stormer Hobbies is one of the bigger online shops, just google it. In the UK try Modelsport.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

allWesNoMess posted:

So what's a good site that you guys go to for this kind of stuff?
As said, in the US:

- Stormer
- Tower Hobbies (probably the most expensive, but biggest range)
- Speedtech RC

Japan:

- Rainbow Ten
- RC Champ International

Hong Kong:

- RC Mart

allWesNoMess
Dec 19, 2007
cut and dry
Awesome, thanks guys.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Speedtech is run by an ex-racer buddy of mine, if you're able to include a note in an order tell him 'Frank says hi' :P

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Whats a good starter 2.4 radio/reciver combo that wont cost the earth? I was looking at futaba ones but there seem to be so many different models. Also are most esc/recivers compatible with lipos?

I did manage to get a decent digital steering servo, but was kinda annoyed that I have to cut one of the tabs off to fit it into the ta05s chassis.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Tower makes a bare-bones 2.4ghz for about $80 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWPW0&P=7. I know nothing of the quality, but considering they're usually rebrands you may be able to find the original manufacturer. Out of stock right now though :(

edit: gently caress, receivers for that thing are cheap as hell! http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXLR4&P=7 $17!

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
How can I modernize my ancient RC10 Graphite? Is it even worth doing?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
The tranny on it probably isn't good enough to handle the power that modern motors are putting out, parts will be a bitch to find. You'll have to search ebay and stuff like that for parts. If you just want it to be a shelf queen, RPM probably still makes parts for the common stuff (a arms, bulk heads, etc) but they will be likely blue (my GT10 has blue a arms and it looks ridiculous) or a wierd color.

If you wanted to get it running to the point that could could bash or race with it, you would be much better off getting a T4 or a new model car. I don't know what you mean by modernize, do you mean get it to where it'll run at the track or in the parking lot with new stuff? You could always get newer electronics and if you feel your RC10 is holding you back or if it breaks and you can't get parts or whatever, you could always get a new car and transfer the electronics over.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
I've still got my RC10. And compared to the new cars they are tanks. pretty durable, but super slow and can't jump worth a darn. I'd upgrade to something newer.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Wasn't the Graphite Edition new enough to have the stealth tranny? If so, it's the same exact tranny that's in the RC10GT so you shouldn't have any problems with it.

kuffs fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 11, 2009

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Frag Viper posted:

How can I modernize my ancient RC10 Graphite? Is it even worth doing?

I would say sell it and use the cash for something newer but used. Parts are going to be difficult to find. I used to be on the lookout for an RC10 Graphite or Worlds (I had the all-black Worlds kit with the woven graphite chassis) and I'm sure other people might be too - see what the completed auctions are bringing on eBay.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Ive never raced it competitively, and dont really plan on it. I know some of the parts are old, but for the most part functional. Id like to get a new speed control unit, and batteries (any suggestions? I have an ancient Novak)

The motor i have in it is new from about 10 years ago.

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

No, actually. I would hate to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!
Grimey Drawer

Frag Viper posted:

Ive never raced it competitively, and dont really plan on it. I know some of the parts are old, but for the most part functional. Id like to get a new speed control unit, and batteries (any suggestions? I have an ancient Novak)

The motor i have in it is new from about 10 years ago.

You should probably replace the motor. From what I've discovered like... one page ago, brushless and LiPo are now the way to go. I was always a big fan of Novak ESCs, but I'm not sure how they are brushless wise.

The RC10 is a classic buggy, if you want to resurrect it, it would be fun, and if you don't plan on competitive stuff, it should be fine. I'd be interested in seeing pics when you're done.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Novak make good brushless ESCs. The GTB was one of the original Brushless ESCs you could get, and as with their brushed ESCs, were very well made and usually easy to setup.

A friend of mine was on a TV show last month about racing vintage off road RCs. He has a good collection of them, an absolute off road nut. He used a 25 year old one to win the state champs last year in a class.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Ryzic posted:

You should probably replace the motor. From what I've discovered like... one page ago, brushless and LiPo are now the way to go. I was always a big fan of Novak ESCs, but I'm not sure how they are brushless wise.

The RC10 is a classic buggy, if you want to resurrect it, it would be fun, and if you don't plan on competitive stuff, it should be fine. I'd be interested in seeing pics when you're done.

I'll take pics when I get home. I have to clean it up a bit first. Its been sitting in my garage for years.

I'll be taking it to the shop I originally bought it from, its good to know that they're still around. I'll see what they suggest and probably be a dumbass and buy everything.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Frag Viper posted:

I'll take pics when I get home. I have to clean it up a bit first. Its been sitting in my garage for years.

I'll be taking it to the shop I originally bought it from, its good to know that they're still around. I'll see what they suggest and probably be a dumbass and buy everything.

It's probably an incredibly old closed endbell motor, and the bushings in there are probably poo poo by now. Even a stock brushed motor will probably be faster than what you have in there now.

freakazoid
Feb 23, 2004
freak out!
I picked up my Traxxas Revo 3.3 today after my mates invited me along to the bush bashing they have with there Revo 3.3s

Here are some of the shots from that weekend. we drive around every weekend at a few places like the Jinker track & ashgrove bmx track ,mitchton football / park area in brisbane, queensland.

Click here for the full 1306x979 image.

The take off

Click here for the full 1142x857 image.

The landing

Incoming from table top jump.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I did it - I got Pro-Line Epic beadlocks on all four corners of an SC10, with complete success. Kinda cool as they haven't been released for this truck yet.

There are Epics for two kinds of truck - the Traxxas Slayer and Slash. The Slash version are different offsets front and rear, the fonts creating far too wide a track on the SC10. It would be doable to get rears on all four corners, but the wheels are 2.2" inner and outer, whereas the SC10 uses 3.0 inner/2.2 outer to clear the suspension components - you can get them on the front of the SC10 but you then can't do any steering. Oh, and you have to use Slash steering knuckles too, because the Associated/Traxxas wheel mounting systems are completely different.

The Slayer wheels are 3.0/2.2, and exactly the same offset as the SC10 wheels. But they use a 14mm drive hex, and all 14mm hexes I could see in the shop had axle openings quite a bit too large.

Here's what I did: first, I installed the Slash steering knuckles, which are basically a drop fit for the stock pieces. I only had to ream out the hinge pin holes a little, so the Associated pins would fit. I also had to Dremel a little off the stock caster block to sufficiently clear the Traxxas bearing carrier - it looks like the Traxxas caster block would also work, but would alter the upper camber link geometry so I didn't bother.

I used Slayer wheels on the front. I used .040" (1mm) thick strip plastic to shim the hexes in the wheels down to 12mm, then mixed up some JB Weld to reinforce them. The fronts don't take a lot of torque, but I thought better safe than sorry. The Slayer Epics were then a straightforward bolt-up. Exact track width as stock.

The rears were completely straightforward, as the Associated system is a crosspin drive, too, just integral to the wheel, not a removable hex. I think I would be fine with the shimmed Slayer wheels too, but it might be a little fragile with the combination of plastic and JB Weld. The only downside is that the track width is about 1/8" wider per side with the Slash wheels, which will cause a little. I can solve that with thinner hexes.

I took it for a burn in my building's parking garage, and where the stock tires were undrivable, the Epics with Switch tires worked really well. Yeah they're heavier than stock wheels but they are pretty drat cool in my opinion.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
The whole 'mix-and-match' part of RC is awesome. Nice work.

ElJefeDeJefes
May 10, 2009
Well, I just finished my first RC car.... Factory T4 kit w/ a Novak 17.5 brushless motor and my first custom paint job... good times!

[EDT] huh, my image shack urls are getting changed :/

[EDT2]I didn't realize the ban on image shack, images changed

ElJefeDeJefes fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 15, 2009

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ElJefeDeJefes posted:

Well, I just finished my first RC car.... Factory T4 kit w/ a Novak 17.5 brushless motor and my first custom paint job... good times!

http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img8/2286/p1010792j.jpg
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img189/8499/p1010793k.jpg

Use Waffleimages or photos.cx instead dude. Imageshack is banned here.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

We had a Demo event here at our work on Friday with HPI USA, where they demo'd everything from drifters, wheelie kings, Baja 5T's, cup racers - pretty much every single HPI and Hot Bodies model, including a full optioned Cup Racer to drool over (she will be mine, oh yes, she will be mine).

Here is a shot of what one of the crazies did with their Baja 5T. This is one of probably 30 or 40 attempts that he made. The casualties listed for the truck were pretty minimal. I am sure that the rear shocks were blown out, he had broken the front chassis top plate, and a few other smaller bits. His highest jump was probably nearly 40 vertical feet.

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

No, actually. I would hate to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!
Grimey Drawer

ElJefeDeJefes posted:

[EDT2]I didn't realize the ban on image shack, images changed

Looks good, man! I always loved T4s.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:words:

Yeah, it really is incredible how durable those guys are. Were those the casualties after all 40 jumps? If so, that is pretty good.... fast little buggers.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Fun stuff!

Oh crap! I totally forgot about this. I was planning on checking it out. How was the weather that day? Last week was crazy stormy.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Was that Thad driving the 5T? We're good buddies, he sent me this link to Baja 5T sand paddle tire test footage a few days ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELEMYXzznqQ

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Shot of me at the local trophy race last weekend.

Crowd wanted a profile shot, that's why I'm looking off-camera

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pretty kicking mohawk dude

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

kuffs posted:

Shot of me at the local trophy race last weekend.

Crowd wanted a profile shot, that's why I'm looking off-camera

You got beat by a little kid.

Hard to tell if its a gas truck (looks like an losi AD2). I see a notch where the pipe's exhaust would fit, but I can't see any engine cutouts on your car.

Sadly I haven't been to an event that gave out trophies for over a year. Last shot of me was from Oct 07. I look forward to going to some big races again this year.

Anyone going to/live in Omaha for this year's Electric Offroad Nationals? They're next week. I've got my fingers crossed for Steven Hartson.

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 18, 2009

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Looks electric to me, as there is no hole in the windscreen for air to come in for the motor.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I guess electric. It does look like he has a hole in his left window for filling up the gas tank though. Plus the guy on the right looks to be running an Evader or something.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm rolling an RC10GT, the kid is running a T4, I think.

And yes, that kid is good. He took 1st in 3 classes that day.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That little kid may have won, but your 'hawk totally put him in the shade.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Any goons in the Orange County area willing to help a relative newb out? I have Team Associated TC3 that I was into for a while and gave up on because I just couldn't dial it in right. It was really squirrely. I also bought a RC10B4 and had a hell of a time getting the shocks right.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

visuvius posted:

Any goons in the Orange County area willing to help a relative newb out? I have Team Associated TC3 that I was into for a while and gave up on because I just couldn't dial it in right. It was really squirrely. I also bought a RC10B4 and had a hell of a time getting the shocks right.

I'm in Garden Grove and race at OCRC about once a week. It is an indoor off/onroad track located in Huntington Beach (Bolsa Chica/Bolsa area). I've never run onroad but I've driven B4/T4s for years and can give you some pointers if you ever came down to the track.

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug

krushgroove posted:

Was that Thad driving the 5T? We're good buddies, he sent me this link to Baja 5T sand paddle tire test footage a few days ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELEMYXzznqQ

I am SO getting these, along with the new 5T Hostile MXT tires. Don't have a 5T to put them on, but I figure the 5B will look cool with taller rear tires.

ElJefeDeJefes
May 10, 2009

Ryzic posted:

Looks good, man! I always loved T4s.

Thanks man, it was a lot of fun to put together....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilikechapstick
Jun 17, 2007

very, very notorious.
Ahh this thread brings back memories. I have an original T-maxx (extremely modded) that I haven't ran in year. Maybe I'll take it to the local hobby shop and see if they'll take it off my hands for a couple hundred bucks, and then throw some money into my HPI RS4 MT.

Anyone still have one of these? I think they discontinued them a while back, but my ESC is blown and I was thinking of going brushless on it. Would be pretty nasty I think.