Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
On my old laptop, the power adapter brick made a distinct buzzing corresponding to mouse movement/scrolling. Low enough that I never noticed it until I had it up on the desk right next to me in a quiet room, but it was amusing. If it were coming from the speakers themselves, I'd have been more annoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Opera 10.0 beta is being incredible wonky. The newest snafu is reducing the quality of pictures, as if they'd been through 50 Paint conversions. It also hangs in terms of bandwidth on occasion.

Anyone with the same issues?

Another strange thing; I'm pretty sure it didn't save some of my bookmarks, but that's speculation I can't prove - unfortunately.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

Opera 10.0 beta is being incredible wonky. The newest snafu is reducing the quality of pictures, as if they'd been through 50 Paint conversions. It also hangs in terms of bandwidth on occasion.

Anyone with the same issues?

Another strange thing; I'm pretty sure it didn't save some of my bookmarks, but that's speculation I can't prove - unfortunately.

Why are you using turbo mode?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Stanley Pain posted:

Why are you using turbo mode?
Ah. I set it to automatic, and I guess it must have kicked in when the inexplicable slow-down kicked in.

I'll turn it off for good, then.

EDIT: Where the heck do you disable it? There's no icon no a Turbo option under Quick Preferences (probably because it isn't on by auto currently.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 9, 2009

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Jobarr posted:

Does turning "Smooth Scrolling" on or off change the sound? :)

Yeah, I could have sworn that I mentioned that in my original post. It doesn't really bother me, but I just thought it was interesting. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one :)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

Ah. I set it to automatic, and I guess it must have kicked in when the inexplicable slow-down kicked in.

EDIT: Where the heck do you disable it? There's no icon no a Turbo option under Quick Preferences (probably because it isn't on by auto currently.

Click on the icon so that it turns black? Reload any pages you have open.

Right click icon for prefs.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Just a love note to Opera who remembers passwords way better'n I ever could. Thanks Opera!.

(Is there Opera for iPod Touch?)

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Stanley Pain posted:

Click on the icon so that it turns black? Reload any pages you have open.

Right click icon for prefs.
What icon? :)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

What icon? :)

Add it back in then ;)

Tools -> Appearance -> Buttons -> Status - > Drag odometer looking one to somewhere.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

kapalama posted:

(Is there Opera for iPod Touch?)

Nope, Apple refuses to let any browser not based on Webkit on.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

ufarn posted:

EDIT: Where the heck do you disable it? There's no icon no a Turbo option under Quick Preferences.

:ughh:

CT2049
Jul 24, 2007
I accidentally told Opera to refuse all cookies from Youtube and I'm not unable to sign into Youtube. How can I tell Opera to stop refusing cookies from Youtube? When I check under the Cookies menu I can only see cookies already on my machine and not the list of blacklisted sites.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

CT2049 posted:

I accidentally told Opera to refuse all cookies from Youtube and I'm not unable to sign into Youtube. How can I tell Opera to stop refusing cookies from Youtube? When I check under the Cookies menu I can only see cookies already on my machine and not the list of blacklisted sites.

Goto youtube.com

Edit site preferences

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Casao posted:

Goto youtube.com

Edit site preferences

Or you can go to Advanced | Cookies, search YouTube and delete the entry. Then it should ask you again.

CT2049
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks guys, that did the trick.

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
I could in Opera 9, but now that I'm on beta 10, I can't Right-Click>Speak anymore and when I try to, it tells me to download the Speech patch and pops up a download window (not the Transfers window), and immediately says "Download Failed" and sends me to this page: http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/voice/

Is there a manual download of this, with instructions?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Anunnaki posted:

ufarn posted:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ufarn posted:

I too expect people to be able to read posts that have not yet been made.

Anyone else having issues with Opera on Facebook? 10.0 beta is not working for a lot of a buttons (they fixed this in the past but it seems to have come back)? I'm having to open Chrome to fix it.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Zedlic posted:

I'm wanting to like Opera enough to use it regularly, but I'm having problems with scrolling. It's scrolling twice as many lines per scroll as is listed in the Mouse settings in Control Panel. As in, if it's set to scroll 3 lines, Opera scrolls 6. Meanwhile, Firefox scrolls 3 like it's supposed to.

Is there any hidden setting for this? I'm using the 10 beta by the way. And no Logitech SetPoint or anything like that, just the regular old Mouse settings in Control Panel.

you know...I just realized that mine does this too, except its not just opera. neither logitech setpoint or control panel can adjust my scrolling size in ANY app. weird.

NashAsh posted:

I was wondering if anyone else had this issue:

I run into trouble when I click on a dropdown menu/box, and then hit a key to select an item, and then hit Enter to activate it. The link/option doesn't "activate" correctly.

For example, when I use the forums dropdown box at the bottom of a page, I click the dropdown menu where it says "Please select one:"

When I press "U" for User Control Panel, the correct item is selected. However, when I hit Enter, it takes me to an invalid forum. It's most annoying when I'm entering my address at online stores, and I'm using the dropdown menu to select my state.

Does anyone else have this problem with Opera 10 beta (or alpha)? I had the same problem in alpha but I was hoping they'd fix it in beta.

yeah, google does something similar. when I type something in and hit enter, most of the time it doesn't catch the keypress and I have to manually click on the search button.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

thrawn86 posted:

yeah, google does something similar. when I type something in and hit enter, most of the time it doesn't catch the keypress and I have to manually click on the search button.

I think you're talking about a completely different issue. Try this: on the Google page, go to Preferences, and choose "Do not provide query suggestions in the search box."

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web+Search/thread?tid=77aff63ce72c6c32&hl=en

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

thrawn86 posted:

you know...I just realized that mine does this too, except its not just opera. neither logitech setpoint or control panel can adjust my scrolling size in ANY app. weird.

When I had something like this, it was being caused by something else setting it - in my case, KatMouse and SetPoint were fighting each other and I was up to 1 page at a time. There are some other apps that can affect scrolling, anything that interacts with mouse (or potentially keyboard hotkeys, though it's unlikely) could be changing this.

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

NashAsh posted:

Yeah, I could have sworn that I mentioned that in my original post. It doesn't really bother me, but I just thought it was interesting. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one :)

I am willing to bet that by scrolling the right web page(s) with the right motions, you could play any song in the world.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Opera guys are feeling quite cocky.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ufarn posted:

They've put out a bunch of great features that other browsers pick up, so maybe they will.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
From the source:

quote:

We start our little story with the invention of the modern day computer. Over the years, the computers grew in numbers, and the next natural step in the evolution was ...

Cloud computing?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I got a Motorola MotoQ smartphone at my work and it came with Opera Mobile 8.65. My first experience with it was positive, though I still don't know much of the little tricks about it like I do the desktop version (that and I'm kind of itching to try the 9.7 beta).

ufarn posted:

Interesting, though I probably won't find out what it'll be since I'll be working and/or sleeping at that time.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

It'll be a browser with two wheels that balances itself! IT will change everything!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Normalmapped 3D rendering of websites using DX10 Shaders, calling it now.

Using a webcam to enable NATAL-style controls for web navigation!

No? How about seemlessly integrated animated graph style presentation of hyperlinks between pages?

Aw who am i kidding its probably just gonna be a built in twitter client. :(

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Aw who am i kidding its probably just gonna be a built in twitter client. :(

Pretty much: http://twitter.com/Hicksdesign/status/2115660578

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I mostly read it as they're just being cocky about Opera 10 release, as opposed to something new and great. I mean, I hope this means we're getting the gpu-based rendering stuff soon, but the timing seems more like we're going to turn this RC to Final and act like its incremental improvements are revolutionary.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Casao posted:

When I had something like this, it was being caused by something else setting it - in my case, KatMouse and SetPoint were fighting each other and I was up to 1 page at a time. There are some other apps that can affect scrolling, anything that interacts with mouse (or potentially keyboard hotkeys, though it's unlikely) could be changing this.

oh, drat. I cannot possibly live without katmouse (horray another katmouse user!)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

thrawn86 posted:

oh, drat. I cannot possibly live without katmouse (horray another katmouse user!)

Oh no, you can still use it, you just have to reset it there. It just gets funky sometimes, I think there's a shortcut that lets you change the scroll speed or something that I kept accidentally hitting.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Holy poo poo, they put the internet on a USB stick?! :aaaaa:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Its either the greatest WinZip of all times or some kind of (hopefullly well implemented) integrated offline browsing. Heres me hoping.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I was hoping Opera had created a netbook operating system or something.

awd55
May 8, 2004
Fuck SYLINK
A few questions:

We use SalesForce CRM for our service desk tickets and our tier 3 tickets use JIRA (which runs off the intranet). I only enter tickets into JIRA so I am mainly in SF. JIRA does interface with SF and creates a box within SF that shows you JIRA search info. It works ok with IE or FF but in Opera I get an intranet content blocked for your security type error message. I assume there is a preference to change to get around it but could not find anything.

The IE rendering engine plugin doesn't seem to be working for me. I followed the steps and tested it with a few sites; it reloads a blank page most of the time and sometimes loads a terrible looking page with a ton of script errors. I'm running Opera 9.64 and Vista 64bit (which I have a feeling is the problem). Any ideas, is there a new version of the plugin that I couldn't find?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

awd55 posted:

JIRA.
You have my goondolences.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
Unless my time conversion is off, the "webcast" for whatever cryptic thing they're launching on the opera.com/freedom website at 9am CEDT should be starting in 10 minutes...

I'm reluctant to pop popcorn.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

So is unite.opera.com loading for anyone else?

Edit: loaded, big reveal is Opera Unite, multiplayer Opera :rolleyes:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

File/photo sharing, chat, web hosting? Handy I guess, but not exactly groundbreaking unless I'm missing something.