Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
A shitload of companies use java. I guess the difference is that most is server side on Tomcat, rather than client side... so the user doesn't have to gently caress around with their own VM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

Factor Mystic posted:

Unbelievable. Java makes sites that aren't even using it slower. Who uses Java in a site anymore anyway?

Not even sites. Opening a new tab actually lags a second after I hit ctrl-T with the Java plugin enabled. No lag when its disabled.

Terrible.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Does anyone use a Logitech Harmony universal remote? I can't get the software to work. I've tried compatibility mode for almost every older OS and have run/installed it with admin rights, but it just shows a blank (grey) window. It might be something to do with flash, because I think that's what it uses to render the contents.

Remote software 7.5, Windows build 7100.

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 14, 2013

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

deep square leg posted:

Does anyone use a Logitech Harmony universal remote? I can't get the software to work. I've tried compatibility mode for almost every older OS and have run/installed it with admin rights, but it just shows a blank (grey) window. It might be something to do with flash, because I think that's what it uses to render the contents.

It's working fine for me w/ the latest Harmony software from their site & 7100. Checked their support forums? They are pretty good.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Whats the dual monitor software of choice for 7? Is the Vista version of it solid? I'm concerned that the superbar will kind of screw with it

edit: Just tried ultramon for Vista and it doesn't work at all.

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 13, 2009

maxidious
Sep 25, 2007

Meh

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Whats the dual monitor software of choice for 7? Is the Vista version of it solid? I'm concerned that the superbar will kind of screw with it

edit: Just tried ultramon for Vista and it doesn't work at all.

DisplayFusion works with the extra task bar on the second monitor

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

kingcobweb posted:

Well yes that's what I'm doing, but I thought there might be a SUPER SPECIAL WIN7 OPTIMIZED version or some poo poo.

I had...I think the same problem.

It was recommended to me several pages ago to get Firefox 3.5 beta.

I did. Now it works just fine.

Get 3.5 beta.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Orange Juilius posted:

http://www.osnews.com/story/21653/Microsoft_Won_t_Fix_Windows_7_s_UAC

Short version: Move the UAC slider to the highest setting and use a standard user account if you want anything to be remotely secure.

The Guru Russinovish posted:

Elevations and Malware Security
The primary goal of UAC is to enable more users to run with standard user rights. However, one of UAC's technologies looks and smells like a security feature: the consent prompt. Many people believed that the fact that software has to ask the user to grant it administrative rights means that they can prevent malware from gaining administrative rights. Besides the visual implication that a prompt is a gateway to administrative rights for just the operation it describes, the switch to a different desktop for the elevation dialog and the use of the Windows Integrity Mechanism, including User Interface Privilege Isolation (UIPI), seem to reinforce that belief.
As we've stated since before the launch of Windows Vista, the primary purpose of elevation is not security, though, it's convenience: if users had to switch accounts to perform administrative operations, either by logging into or Fast User Switching to an administrative account, most users would switch once and not switch back. There would be no progress changing the environment that application developers design for. So what are the secure desktop and Windows Integrity Mechanism for?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.07.uac.aspx

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

deep square leg posted:

harmony remote software and remote programming both worked fine for me on 7100x64.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rant about the EU and IE de-bundling fuckery in my new thread about it here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3153398

Let's keep this thread on track.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

c0burn posted:

64-bit browsers are dead until Adobe Flash embraces 64-bit

What about Apples 64-bit only Safari 4 in Snow Leopard? BLACK MAGIC :psyduck:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Stuntman Mike posted:

Yes, but at this point, every copy of Safari 4 for OSX will BE 64bit. It's not even something like a 50/50 split like Windows would be with a lot of adoption - it's straight up 100% of all future macs and the majority of Intel macs in general.

It's the major advantage of Apple's model - they control all hardware and software sales, so they can do things like move everyone to 64bit. It also helps that Apples tend to be rebought and updated more often than Windows machines (As of last year, we still had a 600mhz server running Windows 2000 at work.)

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 13, 2009

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Stuntman Mike posted:

Maybe it will force adobe to get off their asses and fix their poo poo. 64bit systems aren't exactly bleeding edge technology. I'm personally hoping that they've considered the problem, and developed their own flash player.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
My new N97 showed up on the Device Stage. That was cool.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

I play EVE in a fullscreen 1680x1050 window. Can I selectively turn off the titlebar functionality that positions the full bar in view? Similarly, how do I set the taskbar to not have always-on-top priority?

Whenever a window is positioned to be truly full-screen, Explorer automatically detects this and will hide the taskbar while that window is active.

You can use EveMon or ShiftWindow to turn off the titlebar for EVE and make it full-screen windowed.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Mensur posted:

I'd be perfectly happy with a 64 bit firefox that didn't have flash. For the once a week youtube I watch I could go to IE. Other than that, flash is really just worthless and I'd be glad to see it go.

http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/Firefox:Download

Its called Minefield, but its really just Friefox's not release stable builds yet.

nm, theres more than beta files on that site, including stable versions

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'd use minefield but add-on compatibility for it is absolute poo poo.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Im not sure if its Nightly Tester Tool or something else, but I have a button in the lower right corner of my addons screen that let me override all compatibility; no addons problems at all

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Daktari posted:

Im not sure if its Nightly Tester Tool or something else, but I have a button in the lower right corner of my addons screen that let me override all compatibility; no addons problems at all

Sounds like Nightly Tester Tool with the button and all that. You can also override compatibility checking by adding a boolean field "extensions.checkCompatibility" to about :config and setting it to false.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Daktari posted:

Its called Minefield

Minefield is just what they call all the nightlies I think.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

LooseChanj posted:

Minefield is just what they call all the nightlies I think.
Minefield is the code name for trunk builds, Shiretoko is the code name for the branch builds which are going to be Firefox 3.5. Minefield will probably end up being Firefox 4.0 sometime in 2010.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Windows 7 made my lenovo w500 laptop infinitely better. Although Windows 7 contributed slightly I think it has more to do with the absence of factory installed lenovo bloatware.

That said, I've had no problems other than getting the combo discrete/integrated graphics issue set (bios setting).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

cowofwar posted:

Windows 7 made my lenovo w500 laptop infinitely better. Although Windows 7 contributed slightly I think it has more to do with the absence of factory installed lenovo bloatware.

I had insane issues with Vista performance on my T60p for two years. Even though I had run Vista at home since it retailed with very few issues I sorta blamed the problem on Vista anyway. A couple months before I finally installed the Win7 RC I finally got sick of the huge issues I had and investigated a little deeper. To my chagrin I finally hit the "show processes from all users" button in Task Manager and discovered that some old version of a lenovo backup utility (that I wasn't even using to back up anything) was constantly using 50% of the CPU (100% of one of my cores). This is after I had faithfully run Lenovo update utility for a year to make sure I took advantage of any software updates. With a clean install of Windows 7 RC and a bare minimum install of needed Lenovo drivers and software this thing runs great.

FAG
Jan 12, 2005

'Look what you made me do, look what I made for you - A Bomb!' - Jay-Z Denton
I just looked at this page again and it's been over 1000 posts since I last read it :( I hope this hasn't been answered before, and I searched google but maybe I'm asking the wrong questions. Can somebody tell me, what is the brown lock thing seen on some folders in windows 7? Looking in the properties I can see it has something to do with permissions, and it's attributes are hidden i guess? It's not a big problem, mostly it's just aesthetically displeasing.

I do remember trying to do something in documents and settings (while running admin) and being told to gently caress off but I can't remember what it was for the life of me.

Anyway, I'm really sorry if this has come up before.

Alystair
Oct 11, 2005

Remain calm, we are in control.
Random tip: Pressing shift while right-clicking an application in the taskbar brings up the old restore/move/minimize/close/etc menu. Handy because the "move" option is absent from the new one.

Blaminator
Apr 16, 2007

"He seriously didn't go mech?"

FAG posted:

I just looked at this page again and it's been over 1000 posts since I last read it :( I hope this hasn't been answered before, and I searched google but maybe I'm asking the wrong questions. Can somebody tell me, what is the brown lock thing seen on some folders in windows 7? Looking in the properties I can see it has something to do with permissions, and it's attributes are hidden i guess? It's not a big problem, mostly it's just aesthetically displeasing.

I do remember trying to do something in documents and settings (while running admin) and being told to gently caress off but I can't remember what it was for the life of me.

Anyway, I'm really sorry if this has come up before.

I believe it's about network sharing, the brown lock stops it from being seen on other HomeGroup machines I think.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Alystair posted:

Random tip: Pressing shift while right-clicking an application in the taskbar brings up the old restore/move/minimize/close/etc menu. Handy because the "move" option is absent from the new one.

Thanks,
I've not used that menu for ages though, because when I was using linux I got so used to the hold alt and drag to move windows shortcut that I installed http://taekwindow.sourceforge.net/ when I started using 7.

Alystair
Oct 11, 2005

Remain calm, we are in control.

All Too Much For Me posted:

^^ a small-yet-awesome app. ^^

Thanks! This is really handy.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Alystair posted:

Likewise... if you right click the icon on the Taskbar and then right click the application name from the pop-up list, it presents the old context menu.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Just installed Windows 7 and it seems to run nicely, though I really need to get used to that glossy interface.. I'm so used to the old grey look.

But still I was wondering why it won't give me the rights to change stuff on my external HDD (like renaming folders) although this works fine under any Vista Computer.

Also, does anyone know a good office suite? Wordpad doesn't open 'dem .doc files correctly, Openoffice won't even install (tried 3.0.1) and the MS Office is a trial version... Thankies!

Sully
Feb 6, 2009

Thanks,
I've not used that menu for ages though, because when I was using linux I got so used to the hold alt and drag to move windows shortcut that I installed http://taekwindow.sourceforge.net/ when I started using 7.

Great little app, amazingly way more useful than it sounds, thanks!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Chikimiki posted:

Just installed Windows 7 and it seems to run nicely, though I really need to get used to that glossy interface.. I'm so used to the old grey look.

But still I was wondering why it won't give me the rights to change stuff on my external HDD (like renaming folders) although this works fine under any Vista Computer.

Also, does anyone know a good office suite? Wordpad doesn't open 'dem .doc files correctly, Openoffice won't even install (tried 3.0.1) and the MS Office is a trial version... Thankies!

Word Viewer is free.

OpenOffice is at 3.1.

If it "doesn't install", then fix your computer.

Also, what Windows 7 "glossy" interface are you talking about? The interface is the same as it has been in Windows since 2006.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Chikimiki posted:

Have you tried AbiWord?
It's not a full office suite, but it's very fast and less bloaty than OpenOffice.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
Well my 7 install hosed up again. I disabled the local area connection (trying to create a new one) and it froze. Had to hard reset, hangs at welcome screen. Safemode with network hangs at welcome and without, it hangs as soon as the little network icon pops up in the tray.

Funnily enough, the same thing happened (previously) with my XP install and all I did was re-enable the network connection in safe mode. Still, I didn't lose anything, just time to reinstall.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Have you tried AbiWord?
It's not a full office suite, but it's very fast and less bloaty than OpenOffice.
Given that most open source fanatics love to complain about Microsoft "bloat", this statement amuses me greatly. This isn't directed at anybody in particular.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chikimiki posted:

You do realize you can get a 60 day trial of Office in any version from Home and Student to Enterprise, and that you can keep getting new 60 day trial keys by changing your email address? Making a new email address to use for an office key every 60 days until you can afford a nice cheap copy of Home and Student (which IS licensed for 3 computers, so you can go halfs or thirds on it with some other people) isn't so bad.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

fishmech posted:

You do realize you can get a 60 day trial of Office in any version from Home and Student to Enterprise, and that you can keep getting new 60 day trial keys by changing your email address? Making a new email address to use for an office key every 60 days until you can afford a nice cheap copy of Home and Student (which IS licensed for 3 computers, so you can go halfs or thirds on it with some other people) isn't so bad.

This is just as legal as :filez: fyi

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Fancy_Lad posted:

Source that bending a ToS agreement is illegal please.

Some of the stuff about Win7 in this thread is bending the ToS just as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fancy_Lad posted:

I don't see how it is, it's pretty much what it's there for.