Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

fishmech posted:

I don't see how it is, it's pretty much what it's there for.

If that's what it was there for, then you wouldn't have to create a new email address every 60 days...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

LorneReams posted:

Source that bending a ToS agreement is illegal please.

Sorry, replace legal with ethical.

Any way you cut it, you are still using software you are expected to pay for without actually paying for it. Do the trial period, fine, but if you have to extend beyond that please don't try to pretend that you are doing anything better than if you just pirated it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fancy_Lad posted:

Sorry, replace legal with ethical.

Any way you cut it, you are still using software you are expected to pay for without actually paying for it. Do the trial period, fine, but if you have to extend beyond that please don't try to pretend that you are doing anything better than if you just pirated it.

Piracy is illegal, not just unethical. Keep your arguments consistent.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Fallom posted:

Piracy is illegal, not just unethical. Keep your arguments consistent.

Trial surfing is no less piracy than using your company's VLK.

In both cases, you're using a license you're not authorized to use.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
For the first time today I tried to open Pinnacle Studio 11 on Windows 7 64bit. It doesn't give me any error message. It kinda thinks for a second and then nothing. When I open the task manager, I see a studio.exe process.

I tried opening it in compatibility mode with the same results.

Any ideas?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Try running it as an Administrator. It might be trying to populate some registry keys or touch a file in its install folder.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
Is the Office 2010 preview considered :filez: ?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Xenomorph posted:

Word Viewer is free.

OpenOffice is at 3.1.

If it "doesn't install", then fix your computer.

Also, what Windows 7 "glossy" interface are you talking about? The interface is the same as it has been in Windows since 2006.

Yeah seems to be a bad download, it didn't work on another Vista-PC too. I think I'll go trialin', right now 60 days is enough since holidays are about to start.

About the interface, it's just that I switched to the Windows-Classic Theme under Vista, but under Win 7 the taskbar looks weird that way..

Thanks for the replies!

StuL87
Oct 21, 2008

FAG posted:

I just looked at this page again and it's been over 1000 posts since I last read it :( I hope this hasn't been answered before, and I searched google but maybe I'm asking the wrong questions. Can somebody tell me, what is the brown lock thing seen on some folders in windows 7? Looking in the properties I can see it has something to do with permissions, and it's attributes are hidden i guess? It's not a big problem, mostly it's just aesthetically displeasing.

I do remember trying to do something in documents and settings (while running admin) and being told to gently caress off but I can't remember what it was for the life of me.

Anyway, I'm really sorry if this has come up before.

I came across this yesterday when re-installing Windows 7 and it was resolved by adding the Authenticated Users group with Read and Execute permissions on the folder.

Alex007
Jul 8, 2004

fishmech posted:

I don't see how it is, it's pretty much what it's there for.

Not really:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mahoning posted:

For the first time today I tried to open Pinnacle Studio 11 on Windows 7 64bit. It doesn't give me any error message. It kinda thinks for a second and then nothing. When I open the task manager, I see a studio.exe process.

I tried opening it in compatibility mode with the same results.

Any ideas?

Weird possible solution:

When it's done "thinking," it's possible the window for Pinnacle Studio 11 is active, even though you can't see it and it doesn't show up on the taskbar. Press Alt + Space Bar, you'll get the same menu you get when you click in the upper-left corner of a window; select "minimize," and if you're lucky it'll actually properly minimize into the taskbar, and clicking on its minimized state will restore it properly.

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005
I am having a problem installing. I had version 7000 previously installed , but something messed up so I just put Vista back on it.

I am now trying to put version 7100 on. The computer reboots and gets to "completing Installation.." . Then it just sits there. I googled, and some people said to unplug all USB devices. I started the installation over again and tried that. No luck. ACHI was also mentioned. I am installing onto an IDE drive so I don't think that matters.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard/E8400/4GB RAM.

It installed fine before and I have had no system changes since then. Anyone have any ideas?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Alex007 posted:

Not really:

I don't think they offer the trial keys so people can keep using trial software indefinitely by getting new keys, but just because it's in the EULA which may or may not be enforceable doesn't make it illegal per se

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Alex007 posted:

Not really:

Is there a clause anywhere that mentions a limit to how many licences you're allowed per person?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
So, uh... How do I do anything with XP mode?

It just opens what looks like a Remote Desktop connection to an XP system.

How do I get the seamless thing working?

When I look it up, it says just run something, and it adds it to my Win7 Start Menu. Well, it doesn't.

FAG
Jan 12, 2005

'Look what you made me do, look what I made for you - A Bomb!' - Jay-Z Denton

Blaminator posted:

I believe it's about network sharing, the brown lock stops it from being seen on other HomeGroup machines I think.

StuL87 posted:

I came across this yesterday when re-installing Windows 7 and it was resolved by adding the Authenticated Users group with Read and Execute permissions on the folder.

Thanks for the replies guys, it worked great, I don't use homegroup anyway.

Xenomorph posted:

When I look it up, it says just run something, and it adds it to my Win7 Start Menu. Well, it doesn't.

You've installed it to the windows xp virtual machine? It works fine for me

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Xenomorph posted:

You need to put a shortcut to whatever app in the All Users start menu, which then shows up in a folder called "Virtual Windows XP applications" under the Virtual PC group in the start menu on the host. Yeah, not all that intuitive, but considering it's the first beta release and who/what it's intended for, not that surprising.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

LooseChanj posted:

You need to put a shortcut to whatever app in the All Users start menu, which then shows up in a folder called "Virtual Windows XP applications" under the Virtual PC group in the start menu on the host. Yeah, not all that intuitive, but considering it's the first beta release and who/what it's intended for, not that surprising.

I have several shortcuts and folders there (on the XP Start Menu), only one thing I installed finally showed up on the Start Menu.

Do I need to move things off the Start Menu, and then back on to try and force it to make shortcuts on the Win7 Start Menu?

I couldn't find any way to "force" it to scan the XP Start Menu.

So far, XP Mode seems pretty retarded.

It runs XP in the background (hidden), and the "Virtual PC" application you run is really just a Remote Desktop session to it. It's like running Citrix.
So you never have full control over the VM, can't use ClearType, etc.
And of course you can't pick what applications show up on the Win7 Start Menu.

I REALLY hope they improve on that - like have the ability to use ClearType with its remote connection.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Xenomorph posted:

I have several shortcuts and folders there (on the XP Start Menu), only one thing I installed finally showed up on the Start Menu.

Do I need to move things off the Start Menu, and then back on to try and force it to make shortcuts on the Win7 Start Menu?

Yeah, stuff that's already there doesn't show up. Yes, it seems pretty retarded but this is the first attempt so I'm sure a lot of this obvious stuff will show up eventually. And don't forget the main reason for this is those custom business apps that just won't run on Vista, so the primary users are going to be the people who setup machines in a corporate situation so they'll know all this anyway. You're not going to need XP's paint for anything besides the gee whiz factor.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

So far, XP Mode seems pretty retarded.

It runs XP in the background (hidden), and the "Virtual PC" application you run is really just a Remote Desktop session to it. It's like running Citrix.
So you never have full control over the VM, can't use ClearType, etc.
And of course you can't pick what applications show up on the Win7 Start Menu.

I REALLY hope they improve on that - like have the ability to use ClearType with its remote connection.
This is what I've been saying the whole thread! :)

Also, for some reason, some shortcuts will never appear in your Win7 start menu. Remote Desktop, for example, doesn't show up, even though I explicitly added it to a special folder on XP's start menu. The fix for this is to create a cmd.exe shortcut, then just use that to launch things.

I ended up uninstalling this and installing VMWare.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

syphon posted:

I ended up uninstalling this and installing VMWare.
Which is what anyone SHOULD do given what you and Xeno want. XP Mode is for corporate customers who have some lovely old in-house point of sale or database application that they can't update anymore but NEED to use in order to run their business.

You guys whinging on and on about XP Mode's shortcomings sound like people complaining that Notepad doesn't have all the features of TextMate.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

xamphear posted:

Which is what anyone SHOULD do given what you and Xeno want. XP Mode is for corporate customers who have some lovely old in-house point of sale or database application that they can't update anymore but NEED to use in order to run their business.

You guys whinging on and on about XP Mode's shortcomings sound like people complaining that Notepad doesn't have all the features of TextMate.

What's TextMate?

We whine about XP Mode because it is nothing like we expected.

There are already "seamless" virtual machine applications. Microsoft released info on their seamless virtual machine. Wouldn't it be badass? I mean, it's Microsoft native, and it requires virtualization hardware!
The end product (so far) is weaker than what the other products provide. Instead of seamless virtualization (like OS9 Classic mode in Mac OS X), we get "Microsoft's Retarded Citrix".

I don't have a VMware license at home. VirtualPC, VirtualBox, and VMware Player are all free and do what I want (Cisco VPN connection w/ 64-bit Windows). I'm sure XP Mode does that as well (but is cumbersome and uber-ugly). I'm not going to pay for a VMware license to get a prettier seamless experience.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

I'm not going to pay for a VMware license to get a prettier seamless experience.
With VMWare, you have to pay for VMWare and WinXP (whereas XP Mode is free for both of them). That's why i'm 'whinging' that it sucks so bad.

EDIT: I should go back and say, the notepad->textmate analogy is flawed. XP Mode does all the things VMWare does (or at least all the things Xenomorph and I want it to do). It doesn't really lack features. It just does them all terribly.

syphon fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 16, 2009

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Ultimately, XP mode is so that non-intensive 16 bit apps can run seamlessly on 64 bit Windows so that corporations with old 16 bit stuff will finally go to 64 bit.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Xenomorph posted:

What's TextMate?

An OSX text editor that'll run you €50 or so.
It's a bit like Vim really.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Does anyone know what the absolutely latest leaked build is? I upgraded to 7229 last night but I hear that 7232 just leaked and that the RTM build is about to leak. Can anyone offer any insight into this?

EDIT: Don't know if this is against the rules, so if it is just let me know and I'll delete this post.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 16, 2009

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
All the leaks now are pre-RTM builds, and the beta/RC keys don't work on them.

7232 is supposedly what a lot of people have, and supposedly 7260 is the RTM build.

CheeToS
Dec 25, 2003
Dangerously Cheesy

Xenomorph posted:

7232 is supposedly what a lot of people have, and supposedly 7260 is the RTM build.

7260 leaked already and it's rumored that RTM will hit between now and June 19.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Xenomorph posted:

So what you're saying is that starting with 7232, the RC keys won't work? My RC key worked fine with build 7229.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

CheeToS posted:

7260 leaked already and it's rumored that RTM will hit between now and June 19.

damnit, I have to upgrade again. Aggggh. Thanks for the tip though.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Xenomorph posted:

What, no 7300 for a nice round number?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Has anything been significantly reworked enough to warrant upgrading from v.7100?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Charles Martel posted:

Has anything been significantly reworked enough to warrant upgrading from v.7100?

Various bugs have been fixed in each new build. If you have problems on 7100 or just want to upgrade, by all means upgrade to a newer build. It doesn't take very long to upgrade anyway.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Charles Martel posted:

If the RTM build is gonna be out this/next week (and presumably leaked soon after) I don't see any reason to do an intermediate upgrade. Are we even gonna be able to install the RTM without some dodgy :filez:?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kameleon posted:

If the RTM build is gonna be out this/next week (and presumably leaked soon after) I don't see any reason to do an intermediate upgrade. Are we even gonna be able to install the RTM without some dodgy :filez:?

No, there's no licenses until release.

There's always the re-arming trick, but that's generally frowned upon around these parts, I believe. I suppose if you legitimely pre-ordered it, there's nothing especially ethically wrong, but without a license key, you're flirting a line I wouldn't cross.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

fishmech posted:

Various bugs have been fixed in each new build. If you have problems on 7100 or just want to upgrade, by all means upgrade to a newer build. It doesn't take very long to upgrade anyway.

Can I just magically update it, or do I have to do a complete reformat? I don't want to reformat again because it takes me almost a week to get everything situated the way I like it.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

My Avatar is a Red Avatar

Charles Martel posted:

Can I just magically update it, or do I have to do a complete reformat? I don't want to reformat again because it takes me almost a week to get everything situated the way I like it.

As with the update to RC, in order to go to RTM you will probably have to alter the iso to get it to update your install. A search will provide you the steps necessary to accomplish this.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DragonReach posted:

As with the update to RC, in order to go to RTM you will probably have to alter the iso to get it to update your install. A search will provide you the steps necessary to accomplish this.

The RTM ain't out yet, he has to do nothing special to update from 7100 to another higher build, just choose update when he opens the DVD/ISO.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I've been having a weird problem of late, or I've noticed it lately. I have 4GB of ram and it seems that It fills up really fast and stays filled until a reboot. I can't firgure out what would do this.

I only have firefox, NOD32, daemon-tools, running at any one time.

This never happened in Vista, and I am running pretty much the same setup. Is this a known win7 problem?

Femur fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Femur posted:

I've been having a weird problem of late, or I've noticed it lately. I have 4GB of ram and it seems that It fills up really fast and stays filled until a reboot. I can't firgure out what would do this.

I only have firefox, NOD32, daemon-tools, running at any one time.

Anyone know what it could be? This never happened in Vista, and I am running pretty much the same setup.

Possible troll bait, but, you actually want your RAM filled up. Win 7/ Vista do a good job of caching stuff they think you might need/want in RAM.