Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just watched the first season of Chuck. Now I'm working through Wonderfalls. I'm on episode...6, I believe. It's an amusing show so far, kind of reminds me of a cross between Dead Like Me and Twin Peaks, but to be honest I don't quite get the huge hype it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Count Choculitis posted:

About to watch the last ep of season 1 of Burn Notice and I absolutely love it. I didn't think it was possible for me to love Bruce Campbell more than I did before, but my god, I love Sam so much. Fiona can be annoying, but she's tolerable as long as she's being a badass and not a lovesick puppy. Such a fun show.

Season 2 is even better than 1, so you're about to get into even more awesome. :)

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Rapsey posted:

Jekyll, holy poo poo, by far the most impressive show I've seen in a while and I watch quite a lot of shows.

Quoting this. Watch Jekyll. It's six episodes of what may be the best thing Steven Moffat has ever done. And this is the guy who wrote Blink on Doctor Who.

"Three words: We are coming. Send it. Sign it, Jekyll and Hyde"

Opening Scene of "Jekyll"

JustV fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 12, 2009

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Just finished all 3 seasons of The Tudors, it was very good.

Next I think I'll watch Jekyll and then Rome (which I've been putting off forever). After that I'm back to having nothing to watch again. :(

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I was not that impressed with Jekyll but maybe it's just me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

I was not that impressed with Jekyll but maybe it's just me.
I saw the pilot a while ago, and the pilot was weak. Maybe the rest of the series is good, whaddoiknow.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I just recently binged through the entire series of Daria. God drat that was a good cartoon.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

ufarn posted:

I saw the pilot a while ago, and the pilot was weak. Maybe the rest of the series is good, whaddoiknow.

Yeah I guess, I only watched the first one or two and I didn't exactly dislike it, but I didn't care enough for it to make any effort to watch the rest.

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now

It's you. You're the one. If you'd watched it when it was airing, it wouldn't be canceled.

Much like all you Firefly latecomers.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I heard the news, so I feel bad enough as it is.

I don't know much about TV production, is there a chance it could be picked up and continued on another network?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nathan Fillion has his cop show and Adam Baldwin is on Chuck. It ain't happening.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Hey they could always do another movi- ahahahah!

Hatchet Bunny
Oct 7, 2005

I find the most erotic part of a woman is the boobies
I started Freaks and Geeks one week ago and have two episodes left to watch- I'm putting it off because I don't want to finish the series. What a great show, it really should have had one or two more seasons :(

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Started a Fringe Binge a week or so ago and about half way through. I dropped it after a couple of episodes originally but a lot of people have suggested it gets better as the show goes on, and so far.... they're right. It's really beginning to hit it's stride now.

Hatchet Bunny posted:

I started Freaks and Geeks one week ago and have two episodes left to watch- I'm putting it off because I don't want to finish the series. What a great show, it really should have had one or two more seasons :(

On the plus side you have yet to encounter Carlos the Dwarf. The last episode is my favourite of the series. But yeah, of all the shows cancelled before their time this is probably the one I'd most like to see more of.

Also if you enjoy Freaks and Geeks it might be worth checking out Friday Night Lights. A slightly different tone and a little less overt comedy (but still plenty of funny moments) but at the core I've always felt they had a similar message.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 14, 2009

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Also check out Undeclared, another one-season wonder in a similar vein from Apatow. I need to heed my own advice; I still haven't seen it.

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

ufarn posted:

It maintains about the same level of quality throughout. It's one of the few shows that I don't have to say "if you didn't like the pilot, stick with it until episode X" (unlike Babylon 5, Dollhouse, American Dad!, etc.).

It works best when you realize that the show isn't supposed to be a remake of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and instead acts some sort of twisted fairytale sequel, but if you don't like James Nesbitt, it isn't your mini-series.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just started Burn Notice. Lets hope it's as good as everyone says.

My Girlfriend's Account
Aug 19, 2004
I ran through all 7 seasons of Buffy in 6 days...maybe it was 7 days, I kind of lost track of time. I'm almost done with the first season of Angel now, I heard it gets better past the first season. I still want more Buffy though, and the Season 8 comics just haven't been enough.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

My Girlfriend's Account posted:

I ran through all 7 seasons of Buffy in 6 days...maybe it was 7 days, I kind of lost track of time.

There's binging and there's binging. 15 hours a day of any show for a week can't be good.

My Girlfriend's Account
Aug 19, 2004

Hello Pity posted:

There's binging and there's binging. 15 hours a day of any show for a week can't be good.

Yeah, I did the same thing with Six Feet Under in December. When I binge TV shows, I tend to binge.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Hello Pity posted:

I guess it saves time in the long run. Although I think we should check for signs of brain damage in his/her future posts.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

ufarn posted:

I guess it saves time in the long run. Although I think we should check for signs of brain damage in his/her future posts.

Like never ending Buffy references or what?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
So over the summer I'm thinking of binging through the entire run of The X-Files and related series. It's been too long since I've seen any episodes and I know I missed quite a few along the way.

I have access to all 9 seasons, both movies, the Lone Gunmen spinoff, and Millennium. I know the first movie should be watched between seasons 5 and 6, and the second movie at the very end, but what about the rest? I know Millennium isn't directly related but it seems to take place in the same universe (before the crossover episode, apparently), and I know the Lone Gunmen takes place somewhere before the end. Any suggestions to exactly when and where those two shows fit with the rest, or should I just go by airdate?

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
Well, I just finished watching season 2 of Entourage (started season 1 yesterday). God drat that is a fun show, gonna have to get the rest of it.

Jiminy Cricket
Feb 5, 2008

Flight Suit Up!
Almost finished Freaks and Geeks. I can see why so many people love it.

edit: it's interesting that Martin Starr plays practically the adult version of his character from Freaks and Geeks on Party Down

Jiminy Cricket fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 16, 2009

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Bonk posted:

So over the summer I'm thinking of binging through the entire run of The X-Files and related series. It's been too long since I've seen any episodes and I know I missed quite a few along the way.

I have access to all 9 seasons, both movies, the Lone Gunmen spinoff, and Millennium. I know the first movie should be watched between seasons 5 and 6, and the second movie at the very end, but what about the rest? I know Millennium isn't directly related but it seems to take place in the same universe (before the crossover episode, apparently), and I know the Lone Gunmen takes place somewhere before the end. Any suggestions to exactly when and where those two shows fit with the rest, or should I just go by airdate?

The Lone Gunmen takes place during Season Nine. If you make it that far, the "series finale" is Jump the Shark, so sometime before then if you're trying to do things in order.

Millennium has almost nothing to do with The X-Files and only interacts with the show because Millennium didn't receive an ending. Watch it when you need a break from aliens and instead want to deal with demons and serial killers (hopefully before the Millennium episode during Season Seven but after José Chung's From Outer Space in Season Three since those are the only two episodes that cross with Millennium the series). But do watch it; Darin Morgan joins the writing staff for Season Two and does some of his best work there. Plus it has John Locke with a bad-rear end mustache.

And if you're doing all that, you might as well throw in Harsh Realm and do the entire 1013 catalog. It's extremely underrated, and again Terry O'Quinn plays a recurring character with a bad-rear end mustache.

JustV fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 16, 2009

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005
I am currently taking a break from The Wire before I start season four. I tried watching Kings on Hulu for a change of pace. That was the worst show I've seen in a long time.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Me and my girlfriend just binged thru Carnivale. Up until a few days ago the first season was all I had watched and the premiere episode of the second season. After it had been canceled I didn't really have a desire to pick it back up A.) Because HBO dvds were always so f'n expensive and B.)I was afraid that after watching the second season I would get pissed at all the things left unfinished. I was walking thru the local bestbuy and saw the two seasons for 35 bucks each and decided to catch back up on it.

Needless to say it wasn't too disappointing. The final battle that I had been looking forward to was up to par with what I thought this show would deliver. And answers to questions I had after watching the first season came to light in the second. It's just disappointing to know their was so much more planned.

Honestly I wasn't surprised it was canceled. I was actually surprised when I watched the first airing that it was even green-lit in the first place due to it's unconventional pacing, story telling, characters and especially after I heard how much each episode cost to make (4mil per I believe). I honestly don't think a television show of it's kind could ever get made in today's economy so I should definitely be thankful we got two seasons out of it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Kithyen posted:

Me and my girlfriend just binged thru Carnivale. Up until a few days ago the first season was all I had watched and the premiere episode of the second season. After it had been canceled I didn't really have a desire to pick it back up A.) Because HBO dvds were always so f'n expensive and B.)I was afraid that after watching the second season I would get pissed at all the things left unfinished. I was walking thru the local bestbuy and saw the two seasons for 35 bucks each and decided to catch back up on it.

Needless to say it wasn't too disappointing. The final battle that I had been looking forward to was up to par with what I thought this show would deliver. And answers to questions I had after watching the first season came to light in the second. It's just disappointing to know their was so much more planned.

Honestly I wasn't surprised it was canceled. I was actually surprised when I watched the first airing that it was even green-lit in the first place due to it's unconventional pacing, story telling, characters and especially after I heard how much each episode cost to make (4mil per I believe). I honestly don't think a television show of it's kind could ever get made in today's economy so I should definitely be thankful we got two seasons out of it.
How was the second season? Better or worse than the first one?

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

ufarn posted:

How was the second season? Better or worse than the first one?

I think they're on equal ground just for different reasons. The second season has a faster pace which I think kinda kills some of the anticipation and mystery behind the series. For instance Brother Justin gets approached by some academic who specializes in the occult and points him in the direction he needs to go as opposed to the first season where he has to figure it out himself. I liked that he had to read his dreams or signs around him to figure things out rather than some random character practically coming out of nowhere to point him in the right direction

Their's some new characters added towards the middle of the season which I assume would've been developed upon in later seasons but because of the cancellation after the second season these characters tend to just take up screen time and don't really add anything to the show.

I think the main drawback to the second season though is it's bittersweet ending. Certain things happen that tie off the season but not the series, and now that's canceled we'll never get to see what happens to certain characters.

The ending to the second season was pretty tight, although nothing can compare to season one's emotional finale. I honestly think that was the best five minutes of television I've ever seen.

Basically if you like the first season the second season is worth the 35$.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I've finally made it through seasons 3-5 of Lost after binging through 1-2. I swear to christ I HATE the show but I'll be damned if I don't finish watching it, if only because were I to stop now JJ Abrams would win.

I exaggerate, obviously I wouldn't be watching a show that I actually hate but it just has this dumb "xena\hercules mid-90's sci-fantasy daytime TV" vibe going on. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is.. but it bugs me. There are plenty of awesome moments though not gonna lie.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I've been binging through Hajime No Ippo lately. I've already watched it once but this time through the second season is out so I'll probably watch that when I'm done with the first one. The show itself is as unbelievably awesome as ever. Still, seeing the animmation quality of Ippo's Dempsy Roll at the beginning of Champion Road makes me wish they spent a little more money on the individual episodes.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

Jiminy Cricket posted:

Almost finished Freaks and Geeks. I can see why so many people love it.

edit: it's interesting that Martin Starr plays practically the adult version of his character from Freaks and Geeks on Party Down

Hatchet Bunny posted:

Watched the whole thing during this last week. I'm so sad that it only got one season. It's not like I'm asking for much. Just a second season would have been nice, particularly because I want to find out how everything works out for Nick and Daniel. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Haven't read the entire thread, but most of my latest viewings have been on old school nastaliga (sp?) cartoons. Latest being Gargoyles.

It's great having half the Star Trek: TNG crew as voice actors, and to watch a cartoon that actually had (no-poo poo) guns and characterization.

I'm a huge fan of anime, but the early 90's certainly had the best cartoons in regards to aging well vice the anime-style bullshit that gets put out now. (With the possible exception of Avatar.)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
My girlfriend and I just marathoned all 4 seasons of How I Met Your Mother. We always meant to watch it after we found out about it, but we already had a few shows we were watching at the time and just never got around to it. Then we caught a few episodes on repeat syndication and HAD to watch the whole series. Took us about a week due to work conflicts taking up time. Such a fantastic show, and I have no idea why I hadn't even heard of it until less than a year ago.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Haven't read the entire thread, but most of my latest viewings have been on old school nastaliga (sp?) cartoons. Latest being Gargoyles.

It's great having half the Star Trek: TNG crew as voice actors, and to watch a cartoon that actually had (no-poo poo) guns and characterization.

I'm a huge fan of anime, but the early 90's certainly had the best cartoons in regards to aging well vice the anime-style bullshit that gets put out now. (With the possible exception of Avatar.)
Was a pretty good show, yeah. Sucks that most of all the awesome childhood cartoons are only available in VHS. Freakazoid and Earthworm Jim had a rerelease on DVD somewhat recently, if I'm not mistaken, though.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
FINALLY started my Babylon 5 binge after a few false starts because I didn't have the time. The jump in quality from the pilot movie to the first episode is amazing, both in CG and presentation.

If you can overlook the cheesy presentation and shaky acting, the writing is really good in the first TV episode. The next couple ones after that are somewhat cheesier standalones (the Soul Hunter was a good plot with goofy execution) and I kind of wish JMS put a few arc episodes at the beginning so the series would take off right away, but the standalones aren't bad. Anyway, this was way before serial drama was all the rage, so I can't complain about that too much. I hear the first season isn't that great anyway, but I'm already seeing there's a lot to like if you can get past the very dated feel and look of it.

I'll see if I can get through that by mid-July and then plow through X-Files for the rest. If I have time after that, I'll pick up where I left off on The Sopranos on my last binge attempt.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

My girlfriend and I just marathoned all 4 seasons of How I Met Your Mother. We always meant to watch it after we found out about it, but we already had a few shows we were watching at the time and just never got around to it. Then we caught a few episodes on repeat syndication and HAD to watch the whole series. Took us about a week due to work conflicts taking up time. Such a fantastic show, and I have no idea why I hadn't even heard of it until less than a year ago.

Hey, same here. It's a really good show, I love Marshall.

I'm probably going to go through the X-Files next. I caught some of it during its live run, and I've seen dozens of repeats on TNT in the early morning, but I'd like to watch it in its entirety.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

Yeah I guess, I only watched the first one or two and I didn't exactly dislike it, but I didn't care enough for it to make any effort to watch the rest.

I thought it worked better as a movie/mini-series. Perfect for binging. I don't think I would have gotten into it either if I'd tried watching it episodically. It's not the best thing that ever aired but, taken as a whole, it is really very cool.

Nesbitt is really good (though I'm given to understand it's easier to enjoy his performances if you don't know anything about him outside of the show), plot was interesting, Denis is way cool, and Moffat does horror fiction quite well -- as you probably know. It's actually what pushed me into watching many of the old Hammer horror movies for teh first time.

Also, of course, Michelle Ryan. :swoon:

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

RoryGilmore posted:

I'm probably going to go through the X-Files next. I caught some of it during its live run, and I've seen dozens of repeats on TNT in the early morning, but I'd like to watch it in its entirety.

Lemme know if you get past Season 8. I've tried twice, but every time Doggett shows up I just completely lose interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bonk posted:

FINALLY started my Babylon 5 binge after a few false starts because I didn't have the time. The jump in quality from the pilot movie to the first episode is amazing, both in CG and presentation.

If you can overlook the cheesy presentation and shaky acting, the writing is really good in the first TV episode. The next couple ones after that are somewhat cheesier standalones (the Soul Hunter was a good plot with goofy execution) and I kind of wish JMS put a few arc episodes at the beginning so the series would take off right away, but the standalones aren't bad. Anyway, this was way before serial drama was all the rage, so I can't complain about that too much. I hear the first season isn't that great anyway, but I'm already seeing there's a lot to like if you can get past the very dated feel and look of it.

I'll see if I can get through that by mid-July and then plow through X-Files for the rest. If I have time after that, I'll pick up where I left off on The Sopranos on my last binge attempt.

There's actually quite a lot that's introduced early which sets up later events... some of the standalones will actually be the first episode in an arc, and you won't realise it. Out of the first eight there's at least three that lay the seeds for later storylines. Even the ones that don't usually have some elements that impart important information about the universe or introduce elements that will pay off later.

Myself, I'm rewatching all of Lost at the moment (5 eps from the end of Season 2) and it's impressive how internally consistent the show manages to be for the most part. I've started watching Venture Bros too and it is awesome, and intend to start on Veronica Mars when I find time. Oh yeah, and I've started on Fring too (5 eps in) but that's really something you can just dip into now and again rather than marathon, which is what I've been doing.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 19, 2009