Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
ufarn: It has stuff for geeks too. I mean, what other website do you know which is globally accessible and where you can just stream your own music from with absolutely zero hassle or setup involved? Plus, there's the whole infrastructure that allows you to write your own services.

Edit: They're probably also expecting interest to spread as it's used. When you link your photo directory to people there's a small blurb in the top right that explains what this is in two sentences and invites people to try it out for themselves. So once the geeks start using it it'll advertise itself to everyone else.

Greenfield posted:

When Opera is streaming to your friends or whatever, is it traffic from port 80? Wouldn't your ISP be mad about running a web server?
First off, they have no reason to be mad. You pay for the bandwidth and its yours to use as you please. Any ISP that complains about that is nothing more and nothing less than a band of frauds.

Either way, i just tried it and it streams through ports 5400+ for me.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I'm trying out the new feature in the Unite build where you can disable the menu bar. As a result, I'm definitely getting to know the F4 bar over on the left, which isn't a bad thing in and of itself. I think I will keep the menu off for the time.

As far as the Unite thing is concerned, it seems the potential is pretty big. It'll be interesting to see what services third-party developers can come up with.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

For those who don't want to wade through the Opera documentation, here's a small run-down:

Every web service is a single web server application hosted inside the Opera task. The application itself is written in Javascript, so you basically set up your global variables for the application and then a few event hooks that define which url path calls which javascript function. I'm not sure exactly how the global variables are handled, but it looks like they are stored indefinitely as the application state.

Additionally you can make use of a "sandboxed" File IO system which allows you to both read and write to HDD from what I've seen so far; as well as a simple templating library.

As such, while you don't have access to SQL niceties or the usual scripting languages, you have a language that's powerful and fast at your disposal and passable storage possibilities for even medium-sized tasks.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Casao posted:

Facebook breaking and unbreaking every other version is annoying.

This is FB's fault more than Opera's. I ran 9.64 up until last week, and Facebook's functionality was all over the place prior to that.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

bartkusa posted:

This is FB's fault more than Opera's. I ran 9.64 up until last week, and Facebook's functionality was all over the place prior to that.

The problem is, one of the former Opera 10 releases worked, then as soon as I upgraded it stopped, then it was fixed next upgrade, then next upgrade broke it. I know FB is changing things too, but it's only affecting me in Opera.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Mithaldu posted:

Every web service is a single web server application hosted inside the Opera task. The application itself is written in Javascript, so you basically set up your global variables for the application and then a few event hooks that define which url path calls which javascript function. I'm not sure exactly how the global variables are handled, but it looks like they are stored indefinitely as the application state.

I took a quick look at the documentation myself and saw that these services are basically widgets in Opera but with an additional XML-defined element, with the widgets themselves being the typical HTML/CSS/Javascript/XML file setups. The Unite services have access to things like the sandboxed file I/O that the widgets don't.

Perhaps it's time to spruce up Opera SALR?

Casao posted:

The problem is, one of the former Opera 10 releases worked, then as soon as I upgraded it stopped, then it was fixed next upgrade, then next upgrade broke it. I know FB is changing things too, but it's only affecting me in Opera.

What are they changing to cause that exactly?

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 17, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sergeant Hobo posted:

What are they changing to cause that exactly?

No idea, all I know is that facebook's ajaxy-js stuff stops working randomly.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Casao posted:

No idea, all I know is that facebook's ajaxy-js stuff stops working randomly.

it's true they're doing some big changes in presto (isn't it called somethiing else right now? some bird?) that makes it get 100/100 on the acid test. i'm of the opinion that FB is more to blame for "non-standards" compliant code.. Yes i know the rendering engine is supposed to be different than the js engine but still fb still works in 9.64 afaik. Not like i'd install a 9.x release at this point. Can someone confirm?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

down1nit posted:

it's true they're doing some big changes in presto (isn't it called somethiing else right now? some bird?) that makes it get 100/100 on the acid test. i'm of the opinion that FB is more to blame for "non-standards" compliant code.. Yes i know the rendering engine is supposed to be different than the js engine but still fb still works in 9.64 afaik. Not like i'd install a 9.x release at this point. Can someone confirm?

Peregrine is the name of the 10.0 build, but it's the Peregrine branch of the Presto engine.

And, honestly, it works in IE, Firefox, Safari, Chrome and everything else I've thrown at it. It's JUST Opera that has these issues.

It also has issues with Inserting images in a Wordpress post too, but that's a much smaller issue.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

timb posted:

So, who is likely to be using Opera? The tech savvy consumer? Wouldn't they already be doing this stuff through other means?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to poo poo on what Opera's doing here... Well, okay, I guess I am. It's not really revolutionary. It's basically Microsoft Bob: Web 2.0 Edition.

Yeah, you're pretty stupid.

This is a great service that I imagine will really give Opera a boost. Most people have a somewhat vague idea that they'd want to be able to do this, and this gives them the zeroconfig way to do that. Just browse to anyone's share and check out how easy it is to listen to music, check out pictures etc. It can really be a hub for anyone you want to see what you have on your computer, and thus the easiest way to get it out there.

Sorry you don't like it but your terrible analysis couldn't be more wrong. Sorry it isn't an Apple product?

Dastardly Repressed
May 8, 2004

by WORST ADMIN EVER
Would be nice if they gave UserJS access to all this sandboxed file IO stuff, but they probably won't. UserJS just seems highly neglected. Also of note is the fact that Opera Mobile supposedly has Gears support now but there's still no sign of it it appearing in the desktop releases? Pretty bizarre.

Adrnshw6
Jul 5, 2006
Is Opera Unite down? I just downloaded the new Opera and set Unite up but there I get an error that says: Web Server Error: The proxy server appears to be down

It advises me to restart Unite, which I do, but it still shows a connection problem.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Adrnshw6 posted:

Is Opera Unite down? I just downloaded the new Opera and set Unite up but there I get an error that says: Web Server Error: The proxy server appears to be down

It advises me to restart Unite, which I do, but it still shows a connection problem.

It's doing that to me as well. Opera Link doesn't seem to be working for me in this build either. It downloaded 2 of every bookmark, and doesn't download the custom searches at all. Wish I hadn't completely uninstalled the previous build beforehand. :(

Also, one thing that nobody else has mentioned yet is the UI changes. I like the new buttons/text fields. I'd like the bolded tabs for unviewed pages, if it didn't mark every tab as unviewed when you relaunch Opera.

As far as Opera United goes: it seems cool, but there's nothing here I, as a tech savvy user, can't get with Dropbox, or Flickr, or whatever. Maybe I'll find a use for it later and change my mind.

Edit: Also, Wand is no more. It is now called Autofill. :wtc:

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 17, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Per Slashdot, Opera Unite has been benchmarked:

http://apache.slashdot.org/story/09/06/19/0227249/Opera-Unite-Web-Server-Benchmarked?from=rss

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Got this message in a browsing session when connecting to certain sites:

"A page on the public Internet requests data from your private intranet. For security reasons, automatic access is blocked."

Bad, right?

Done some malware scans, and nothing so far, although the search is still going on in Malwarebytes and Eset Smart Security. I'll probably shut off the internet most of the time, but that's not a viable solution to a problem that potentially is persistent.

Any idea about the cause?

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
I've got an annoying problem with Opera, similar to one I posted about in this thread earlier. Once again, I can't download any of my mail. Opera will stay stuck at "Fetching messages (0/10)" for several minutes until it times out, and downloads nothing. No errors are reported anywhere, including the error console, so I have no idea what's wrong. The last time this happened I was able to fix it by using chkdsk on the NTFS partition Opera is installed on and having it fix a few minor errors, but this time that didn't make any difference.

I posted about it at the Opera forums here in case anyone wants to get more information about this bug.

Does anyone here know what's going wrong? It's really annoying not being able to check my email. :(

And for the bazillionth time, I manage to fix the problem on my own minutes after posting about it. This is happened to me countless times for tons of problems, not all of them involving Opera. Turns out that after I gave up and resorted to checking my mail via webmail and deleted some spam, everything started working again. Whatever.

GuyGizmo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 22, 2009

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm running Opera Unite, is there any way I can make it not activate a new tab as soon as it's created? I'm trying to make all my browsers use the same behavior of opening new tabs in the background.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
So I recently found out about a little feature (in just the Opera 10 betas, I believe) that I will share.

I don't know if anyone has been paying attention to their bookmark menus, but you might have noticed some entries have letters in parentheses behind them (e.g. Wikipedia(Q) ). This was kind of irritating to me since I did not know exactly what they meant or even how they were assigned (very randomly from first glance). After some searching, it turns out that the letters were accelerators. Basically, whatever letter is behind the entry in whatever menu you are currently in, pushing that letter on the keyboard will activate that.

Furthermore, it seems that the accelerator assignments are automatic in that if a letter is already in use by the other items (the underlined letters), Opera will use another letter entirely and add the letter to the end of it.

er0k
Nov 21, 2002

i like ham.

Manky posted:

I'm running Opera Unite, is there any way I can make it not activate a new tab as soon as it's created? I'm trying to make all my browsers use the same behavior of opening new tabs in the background.

preferences > advanced > shortcuts > middle click options > open in background tab

I'm pretty sure that is the default setting...

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Sergeant Hobo posted:

So I recently found out about a little feature (in just the Opera 10 betas, I believe) that I will share.

I don't know if anyone has been paying attention to their bookmark menus, but you might have noticed some entries have letters in parentheses behind them (e.g. Wikipedia(Q) ). This was kind of irritating to me since I did not know exactly what they meant or even how they were assigned (very randomly from first glance). After some searching, it turns out that the letters were accelerators. Basically, whatever letter is behind the entry in whatever menu you are currently in, pushing that letter on the keyboard will activate that.

Furthermore, it seems that the accelerator assignments are automatic in that if a letter is already in use by the other items (the underlined letters), Opera will use another letter entirely and add the letter to the end of it.
I'm using 10.1589, and I don't see the parenthisied letters you are talking about. Although pressing buttons does bring me to sites in my bookmarks, so v:shobon:v

er0k posted:

preferences > advanced > shortcuts > middle click options > open in background tab

Or you can just assign Ctrl + T, or GestureDown to "Open link in background."

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 23, 2009

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
So have they busted out their new javascript rendering engine yet? I'm hoping it at least works with drupal's text editor without making GBS threads all over itself if the answer is no.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Anunnaki posted:

I'm using 10.1589, and I don't see the parenthisied letters you are talking about. Although pressing buttons does bring me to sites in my bookmarks, so v:shobon:v

The parentheses will show up only if all the other letters are taken, or something like that.

When you right-click somewhere on a page that's not a link, you should see an option to go to Full Screen. If I'm right, you should see Full-Screen(G). Typing G while that menu is showing should turn it to full-screen mode.

er0k
Nov 21, 2002

i like ham.

sm8000 posted:

Per Slashdot, Opera Unite has been benchmarked:

http://apache.slashdot.org/story/09/06/19/0227249/Opera-Unite-Web-Server-Benchmarked?from=rss

quote:

800 requests per second

:drat:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

er0k posted:

You're right, it is the default behavior, but on a Mac laptop I'm always command-clicking, which I guess is something else. Guess I just need to use my travel mouse more.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Sergeant Hobo posted:

The parentheses will show up only if all the other letters are taken, or something like that.

When you right-click somewhere on a page that's not a link, you should see an option to go to Full Screen. If I'm right, you should see Full-Screen(G). Typing G while that menu is showing should turn it to full-screen mode.

Nope. Honestly, though, that sounds kind of annoying, so I'm glad I don't have it (for whatever reason).

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Anunnaki posted:

Nope. Honestly, though, that sounds kind of annoying, so I'm glad I don't have it (for whatever reason).

It seems that they aren't in/on by default in the Unite-enabled build. My laptop is on the beta before that one so I'm still noticing it over there. As for it being annoying, it was honestly more annoying not knowing why they were there, not that I would ever really use them.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Manky posted:

You're right, it is the default behavior, but on a Mac laptop I'm always command-clicking, which I guess is something else. Guess I just need to use my travel mouse more.
Ctrl-Shift clicking on the PC opens the link in a background tab, and there should be some similar combination on the Mac version.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

Ctrl-Shift clicking on the PC opens the link in a background tab, and there should be some similar combination on the Mac version.

Command-shift click will open a tab in the background, I was just hoping to get consistent tab opening behavior across the four/five browsers I use in a day. Seems like a pipe-dream, unfortunately.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Sergeant Hobo posted:

It seems that they aren't in/on by default in the Unite-enabled build. My laptop is on the beta before that one so I'm still noticing it over there. As for it being annoying, it was honestly more annoying not knowing why they were there, not that I would ever really use them.

I can't stand it when I don't know something about Opera. Can someone on Vista/XP try this: Enable Voice, download the binaries and restart and see if the menu changes. I'm on 7 and everytime I try to do it Opera crashes. This will drive me nuts, though I'm sure it's something stupid and simple that we're all missing.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
A new snapshot is out. I was going to make a joke about bug fixes but I decided against it (probably better for you all).

down1nit posted:

I can't stand it when I don't know something about Opera. Can someone on Vista/XP try this: Enable Voice, download the binaries and restart and see if the menu changes. I'm on 7 and everytime I try to do it Opera crashes. This will drive me nuts, though I'm sure it's something stupid and simple that we're all missing.

If you're talking about the voice download failing for some reason, there's a way to get it working by downloading it manually and throwing it in the correct folder. Let me see if I can find it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Seems like the auto updater has been improved, worked first try on both of my machines.

And the newest weekly works on Facebook again, so everything's good.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Sergeant Hobo posted:

A new snapshot is out. I was going to make a joke about bug fixes but I decided against it (probably better for you all).

If you're talking about the voice download failing for some reason, there's a way to get it working by downloading it manually and throwing it in the correct folder. Let me see if I can find it.

actually i'm talking about the menu hotkey thing. i consider myself an opera knowitall so it is annoying when i can't figure somethin out. anyone else trading opera on the OSE? or am i that much a geek. (posting from opera mini sorry for nocaps)

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Zuffox posted:

Holy Christ. I could kiss you for ridding me of Opera's BitTorrent.

opera:config#BitTorrent|enable

Where/how is this done? In a config file?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Just enter it in the address bar. opera:config gives you all options of Opera, whether they're in the config dialogue or not.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
Arggh, I can't download my email AGAIN. This combined with all the crashes and broken webpages is really making me want to switch to another web browser I swear!!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Hey look, my opera10 preview cant open http://thevideobay.org/sample-video.php 's HTML5 correctly even though Opera.9.52 or higher is said to have it working. Awesome!

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 29, 2009

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Hey look, my opera10 preview cant open http://thevideobay.org/sample-video.php 's HTML5 correctly even though Opera.9.52 or higher is said to have it working. Awesome!

Looks like they are misdetecting the browser.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Stanley Pain posted:

Looks like they are misdetecting the browser.

I thought so, but that's not the case. If you mask as Firefox, it doesn't work either, and viewing the source, they pass the video tag both cases and the text you see is the fall back text - either Opera has an issue with using a bold tag in the fall back text, or video is broken in opera 10.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Casao posted:

I thought so, but that's not the case. If you mask as Firefox, it doesn't work either, and viewing the source, they pass the video tag both cases and the text you see is the fall back text - either Opera has an issue with using a bold tag in the fall back text, or video is broken in opera 10.

drat you're right, I tried masking right after I posted. Looks like video is broken :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Stanley Pain posted:

drat you're right, I tried masking right after I posted. Looks like video is broken :(

Report a site problem and see if it gets fixed, my completely out there guess is that it's not being supported because of the <b> tag in the fall back text, because otherwise I don't see why it wouldn't be working.