Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Captain Charisma posted:

Is it any good? I haven't liked any of Soderbergh's movies for years.

I loved it. It's different; very slow, very non-plot-driven, in some ways. It's not for all tastes, but I found it fascinating the way it established Che's character almost entirely through actions. The juxtaposition between the two halves is fascinating, too; the first is Che on the way up, the second on the way to his death.

I can't say if you'd like it or not, just because it's not a typical film in any way. I can say that a friend went with me to see it, and he's lukewarm on Soderbergh, and came out loving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Alright, sounds good.

Reviews of the Marienbad Blu-Ray are popping up. Looks fantastic.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=4775&show=review
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare11/last-year-at-marienbad.htm

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

New titles are popping up. Details to follow, but here's what I see so far:

Homicide
That Hamilton Woman
Monterey Pop (Blu-Ray)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#486 - Homicide (Sept 8th)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by editor Barbara Tulliver
* Audio commentary featuring writer-director David Mamet and actor William H. Macy
* New video program featuring interviews with recurring Mamet actors Steven Goldstein, Ricky Jay, J. J. Johnston, Joe Mantegna, and Jack Wallace
* Gag reel and TV spots
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Stuart Klawans

I've never seen this one, but Mamet is usually pretty good. Macy commentary + gag reel = good times.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Complete Monterey Pop Festival (Blu-Ray, Sept 22nd)

I'm too lazy to see if there's any new features. Probably not, it's already pretty stacked. I've never been too interested in it, but maybe I'll Netflix it.

So far this looks like the only BR this month.

EDIT: correction, Pierrot le Fou is also coming on Blu, September 22.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#487 - That Hamilton Woman (Sept 8th)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* Audio commentary featuring noted film historian Ian Christie
* New video interview with author and editor Michael Korda, Alexander’s nephew, who discusses growing up in the Korda family and the making of That Hamilton Woman
* Theatrical trailer
* Alexander Korda Presents, a 1942 promotional radio piece for the film
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by Molly Haskell

Still haven't seen any Korda, no opinion on this one.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Volume 4 of "Essential Art House", coming September 15th:

The 39 Steps
Throne of Blood
The Tales of Hoffmann
Le Jour Se Leve
Gervaise
Mayerling

This is a really interesting batch because it contains two never-before-released titles (Gervaise and Mayerling), plus one (Le Jour Se Leve) that was only previously available in that mammoth box set.

I hope that's not all for this month, though. Wasn't Wings of Desire supposed to be a given?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

FitFortDanga posted:

Awesome. How long did it take for Contempt and Ran to get cancelled?

and is anyone actually buying the Essential Art House stuff?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jack Does Jihad posted:

and is anyone actually buying the Essential Art House stuff?

I would buy Kanal in a heartbeat, but so far the only title they've released from the Wadja box is Ashes and Diamonds.

vvv yes, those are part of the same set

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 16, 2009

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
There's some other Monterey Blus as well

http://www.criterion.com/films/722
http://www.criterion.com/films/720

I guess I'll save some money that month.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

FitFortDanga posted:

I hope that's not all for this month, though. Wasn't Wings of Desire supposed to be a given?

I think pushing back The Human Condition messed everything up. It's the missing September release now.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Went to my local Borders today to pick up the new Seventh Seal. I made a beeline for the foreign DVDs and found... nothing. This terrified me as the Borders here had gotten rid of their foreign section for a brief period once before. As it turned out, they were just moving things around, so I go for the foreign DVDs and find... the old edition. For 40 dollars. So I checked the website (which I had already checked before I came and they had the new one pictured). It said it was there, only it was marked up $10 from the MSRP. I figured this was a mistake and I was right. I did some searching and found the new edition nicely tucked in the Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi section. :ughh:

That said, it looks very nice. The packaging is very minimalistic and all blacks and greys, very well suited. I don't like that the discs have big Criterion 'C's on them, but whatever. I'm also a little bothered the spine reads 'The Seventh Seal' with a 'A Film by Ingmar Bergman' underneath, so all the text is small and kinda hard to read.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Friedpundit posted:

Went to my local Borders today to pick up the new Seventh Seal. I made a beeline for the foreign DVDs and found... nothing. This terrified me as the Borders here had gotten rid of their foreign section for a brief period once before. As it turned out, they were just moving things around, so I go for the foreign DVDs and find... the old edition. For 40 dollars. So I checked the website (which I had already checked before I came and they had the new one pictured). It said it was there, only it was marked up $10 from the MSRP. I figured this was a mistake and I was right. I did some searching and found the new edition nicely tucked in the Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi section. :ughh:

That said, it looks very nice. The packaging is very minimalistic and all blacks and greys, very well suited. I don't like that the discs have big Criterion 'C's on them, but whatever. I'm also a little bothered the spine reads 'The Seventh Seal' with a 'A Film by Ingmar Bergman' underneath, so all the text is small and kinda hard to read.

Wow, with all that really important stuff going against it, I hope it's a good movie!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Unless you get some kind of employee discount, there's no reason to shop at Border's.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure why there's any reason not to shop Amazon for Criterions. The difference in price doesn't make the "Have it now!" feature worth it.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Captain Charisma posted:

I'm not sure why there's any reason not to shop Amazon for Criterions. The difference in price doesn't make the "Have it now!" feature worth it.

Amazon is usually a ripoff for Criterions (unless you catch a good sale or something).

Go for DVDPlanet.com

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

zandert33 posted:

Amazon is usually a ripoff for Criterions (unless you catch a good sale or something).

Go for DVDPlanet.com

Or DeepDiscount, which should have the same prices and sales (the 25% off sale should happen in about a month, but they hike their prices up 10-15% first) and they usually have a Criterion-specific sale. Except the shipping costs suck rear end.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I use Amazon because I have an Amazon Visa and I get reward points. But yeah, DVDPlanet and DDD are good, too. I also like DVDPacific.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well really my main point was why would you even think of shopping B&M for Criterions

EDIT: How could you suggest DVDPlanet for Criterions over Amazon so hard when most of them are like $3 more than Amazon

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 16, 2009

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Unless you get some kind of employee discount, there's no reason to shop at Border's.

I use their rewards program. So I used the weekly coupon, plus I had a $5 "gift card" type thing from said rewards program. I ended up paying $21 (The weekly coupon is usually 25% or 30% off, which makes the price of a Criterion about the same as Amazon, DVDPlanet, etc. w/o the shipping). Normally I get my Criterions used from a record store in Chicago, but I am not currently in Chicago.

Edit: Being less vague

Friedpundit fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 16, 2009

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

FitFortDanga posted:

Holy gently caress. We lose Ran and gain the most colorful French film this side of Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Why in christ doesn't Criterion own Umbrellas anyway?

I'm going with bookmark Amazon, DVDPlanet, DeepDiscount, and the Criterion store and just go for the lowest price.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It looks like Paramount may merge/buy The Weinstein Company, so maybe that'll fix the problems with Ran.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Holy gently caress. We lose Ran and gain the most colorful French film this side of Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Why in christ doesn't Criterion own Umbrellas anyway?

I'm going with bookmark Amazon, DVDPlanet, DeepDiscount, and the Criterion store and just go for the lowest price.

Save yourself the trouble:

https://www.dvdpricesearch.com

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

It looks like Paramount may merge/buy The Weinstein Company, so maybe that'll fix the problems with Ran.

Oh, ugh. They also might release it themselves and a lot of their catalog Blu Ray titles are slathered with DNR.

Although the HD master for Ran is probably done already.

BarryMantlesnorks
Nov 14, 2005
I went to Border's this past weekend too and got the Criterion of Benjamin Button. No, it's not the greatest movie but they had it on sale for 16.99 and DVDPriceSearch has it listed for 19.99 at the cheapest. So it's not always bad.

Benjamin Button has a pretty interesting 3-hour making-of documentary.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

BarryMantlesnorks posted:

Benjamin Button has a pretty interesting 3-hour making-of documentary.

You know you're in trouble when the "making of" is more interesting and entertaining than the feature film.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

You know you're in trouble when the "making of" is more interesting and entertaining than the feature film.

Yeah, I'm compelled to watch it since it had to be more interesting to make than the film itself.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Cacator posted:

Or DeepDiscount, which should have the same prices and sales (the 25% off sale should happen in about a month, but they hike their prices up 10-15% first) and they usually have a Criterion-specific sale. Except the shipping costs suck rear end.

Deep Discount has free shipping on everything.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

substitute posted:

Yeah, it's not the costs that suck rear end, it's the time it takes to get your stuff :buddy:

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Friedpundit posted:

I'm pretty picky about packaging, in Canada we get a lot of dvd's with french translations alongside the english. Cutting the size of titles on the spine in half.

Benjamin Button is the first Criterion I've ever bought up here with french on the package. So the spine title is tiny, but the worst part is everything on the back is in less than 4pt font. Starting with The Seventh Seal, it looks like I'm back to Amazon.com plus shipping and import fees.

Picture all of this text on the US version, except twice:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Have any of you seen the new Criterion ad campaign? I spotted this one on https://www.theawl.com:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

substitute posted:

I don't live in the US so no, not for me.

Edit: there was once a time when I only had to pay a flat $5.95 USD rate for my order but alas, those days have long since transpired. Plus their shipping was really slow too.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 19, 2009

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Have any of you seen the new Criterion ad campaign? I spotted this one on https://www.theawl.com:

Interesting that it's "Blu-ray and DVD" instead of "DVD and Blu-ray". Is something being on Blu-ray a selling point now? Like "Oh, well, if it's good enough for Blu-ray..."

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Interesting that it's "Blu-ray and DVD" instead of "DVD and Blu-ray". Is something being on Blu-ray a selling point now? Like "Oh, well, if it's good enough for Blu-ray..."

Blu-Ray means higher quality farts

Exree
Oct 7, 2000

Egbert Souse posted:

Yeah, I'm compelled to watch it since it had to be more interesting to make than the film itself.

For me this is no exaggeration. Button was the most technically impressive movie I think I've ever seen. Every frame is perfect! But it is basically a two and a half hour Chanel commercial, imo.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I wasn't totally blown away the first time, but I decided to go ahead with ordering The Seventh Seal on Blu since I feel it's something I'll warm up to. It's been a few years and I at least liked it. I'm looking forward to The Last Emperor since everyone I know who has seen it has given it good words.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

So, I'm curious. What exactly is the deal with the original Salo DVD? Is it really the rarest DVD? I figured someone here could explain the details.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Beaver reviews for 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her and Made in USA. 2 or 3 had a commentary added to the specs.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Godard titles are my favorite titles:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
This might just be plain old rumor mongering but I was at my local Barnes and Noble (Santa Monica) and while I was browsing the Criterion dvd selection which is really good at this store the guy working there mentioned that allegedly he believed starting next week all the Criterion DVD's at Barnes would be 50 percent off. Even with the markup from the store this is still a better deal than you can find off of Amazon.

So I'd just keep my eyes peeled on your local Barnes and Noble over the next week or two to see if this comes true.