Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Stu
Dec 27, 2003
The Stu abides
I am just about completely new to sewing and am looking to pick up a first machine, and was wondering if I could get some opinions on this one: http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/9243294

Good buy? Is there anything I should look out for when buying used, besides that it works?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
I think you being new to machines, you might wanna avoid restoring a machine as your first. Just my opinion tho...

Are there any faster moving forums than those mentioned in the original post? I find it hard to believe that with sewing being such a huge hobby that there aren't faster moving forums out there. I find most get responses in days.

Antis0ciald0rk
Nov 30, 2002
wtf is this?
Yahoo groups are good for getting a fast response to questions. I joined the WeFixIt group which is a general sewing machine repair/restoration group and SingerSlantSewing which deals specifically with machines like mine. There are quite a few sewing groups but I can't recommend any because I haven't joined them.

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga

The Stu posted:

I am just about completely new to sewing and am looking to pick up a first machine, and was wondering if I could get some opinions on this one: http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/9243294

Good buy? Is there anything I should look out for when buying used, besides that it works?

Thanks!

Doesn't look like that machine has a reverse. If you had a few machines you could make do with that but you'll want something more versatile, maybe 5 stitches, button hole features of some sort.

For the record you can sew on a single stitch industrial machine and get bitching result. That's my temporary solution but I still have a multi-function domestic machine for button wholes and light bar tacking. That and a home serger are how I've done my last few jeans. It's not particularly easy like this and I'll be upgrading equipment soon though, but an old boat anchor machines like that make a way better straight stitch than your average domestic machine.

Acc-Risk posted:

Are there any faster moving forums than those mentioned in the original post? I find it hard to believe that with sewing being such a huge hobby that there aren't faster moving forums out there. I find most get responses in days.

Patternreview isn't moving fast anymore? I was amazed to find such a fast moving forum about sewing.

RichBomb fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 11, 2009

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Viet Timh posted:

Just finished making this:

It's a "back pack" for my dog. We're going camping this summer and it's a 2 hour hike to the site. I figure I could put his food in this and a couple toys. It also has two loops designed to hold water bottles in case he needs a drink during the hike.

I designed it so it would attach to his harness.

It's got a couple of workmanship flaws in it but it's the first thing I've ever done without some kind of pattern.
That looks great! And don't worry about the flaws if it's your own pattern. Whenever I mess up on something I'm working up myself, I just call it a prototype. :) Plus, if it works- who cares!?

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
Don't let anybody tell you fashion design is fun.

104 pieces, and this is only for one cut, 8 sizes.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

oh... so you ARE sick....
oh man, you graded all those patterns yourself? that sucks

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004

4R7 THi3F posted:

oh man, you graded all those patterns yourself? that sucks

Haha gently caress no, I had the professional lady grade them out. I suck at pattern stuff, I leave that to the professionals. Patterns are to important to screw up for anything resembling an industrial operation.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

RichBomb posted:

Don't let anybody tell you fashion design is fun.

104 pieces, and this is only for one cut, 8 sizes.

Dude. Where would I be able to find that pattern? or a pattern for jeans that arent ugly?

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Summertime means cramming some new techniques down my throat

Always meant to learn cathedral window quilting--decided to try it in wool. Protip: don't. It looks really nice and is super dimensional, but good lord it's difficult to press into shape.

It'll eventually be the bodice of a dress--the skirt was an opportunity to try out needlace:

I wish I had gotten a picture of my final piece for Projects, but in all the stress, I forgot, and now it's locked up in the school building :(: Here's an inprogress shot, imagine the cording going all the way around, having a mesh back, and embroidered in shades of red and peach on the inside.

And I tried to come up with some little things to sell. I made some of these wool rings, and I'm working on some little stuffed philosophers (Jean-Paul Sartre is so ugly-cute~)

And I'm working on tiiiny quilts, but no picture yet.

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004

Blue_monday posted:

Dude. Where would I be able to find that pattern? or a pattern for jeans that arent ugly?
The only pattern you can find for jeans that aren't ugly are either going to be hideously expensive custom patterns (like mine, so I can sell jeans to goons lol) or will require gutting a pair of jeans with a good cut and using that as a pattern, and adding details as you like.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Goldaline posted:

I wish I had gotten a picture of my final piece for Projects, but in all the stress, I forgot, and now it's locked up in the school building :(: Here's an inprogress shot, imagine the cording going all the way around, having a mesh back, and embroidered in shades of red and peach on the inside.

All your stuff is really impressive, but I really love the way this looks in particular, the whole shape and concept is great. If you get the chance for pictures of the final product at some point, I'd love to see them.

I have been working on a tailcoat, and the entire project makes me feel like a rhinoceros with spare thumbs. :( Part of it is that I have ended up working from a terrible pattern that seems to leave out entire steps and sections and I have to basically bumble my way through.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Ashcans posted:

I have been working on a tailcoat, and the entire project makes me feel like a rhinoceros with spare thumbs. :( Part of it is that I have ended up working from a terrible pattern that seems to leave out entire steps and sections and I have to basically bumble my way through.

I have to make a tailcoat for my senior collection, which is slightly terrifying, but I did it to myself. Did you find pattern instructions for it? I'd like to know where to get some...

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Ashcans posted:

All your stuff is really impressive, but I really love the way this looks in particular, the whole shape and concept is great. If you get the chance for pictures of the final product at some point, I'd love to see them.

Seconding the wish to see it when you're done, especially with all the detail you've put into it :)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

vaginadeathgrip posted:

I have to make a tailcoat for my senior collection, which is slightly terrifying, but I did it to myself. Did you find pattern instructions for it? I'd like to know where to get some...

Yea, I had a hell of a time finding patterns to choose from. You can see the pattern I'm using here - scroll down to the bottom of the page, it's the one labeled '1890 Evening Suit'. What the heck, here's the picture:

The pattern itself is fine, but the instructions are pretty bad - for instance, a lot of the diagrams are clumsily done so they're not very helpful, and they don't shade 'right' and 'wrong' sides of the fabric in them either. The most frustrating thing for me has been that they completely left out any instructions for the lining, so I am having to work that out myself.

I also have this pattern, which is a decent costume pattern from Butterick. The coat has a different cut than I wanted (I wanted the open-front) but it's been useful for reference and comparison.

Zantie posted:

Seconding the wish to see it when you're done, especially with all the detail you've put into it :)
Thanks. I'll try and take a good picture when it's done so that you guys can see. It's taking me a while, but I'm hoping to get it down by next week.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Okay, so I went and snuck into school to steal my piece back (and to scope out the studios for next year, I'm ready to fight for a big one!) Here's some awful pictures with the first girly I could find to model.

Here's the outside:

Click here for the full 516x820 image.

Click here for the full 552x643 image.

Click here for the full 585x940 image.

Inside-Out:

Click here for the full 489x766 image.

Click here for the full 531x847 image.

I have a little issue with the fastening in the back I've still got to work out--didn't happen on the mannequin, and this is the first time it's actually been on someone...whoops.

Viet Timh
Apr 16, 2009

Ozma posted:

That looks great! And don't worry about the flaws if it's your own pattern. Whenever I mess up on something I'm working up myself, I just call it a prototype. :) Plus, if it works- who cares!?

Thanks

I guess I should call the shorts I made not too long ago a prototype as well. I put internal zipperred pockets in place of flapped cargo pockets... one is a little messed up. I figured out how to solve the problem on the second pocket but I'm too lazy to redo the first one. It's only minor.

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
I finally have a blog up. paleodenim.blogspot.com

no.no.notorious
Feb 19, 2009

Kettlesquid posted:

It's nice to see some hardy older sewing machines in this thread!

i agree! mine is from the 40s and it does straight lines and reverse. i do with i had one with more family stitching, but it works for my purposes...which is pretty much alterations and stuff. they're just beautiful to look at

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, just let me know if there is a sewing machine thread or anything...

Anyway, my sweet old emdeko zig zag is flipping out--I was sewing this afternoon, when all of a sudden the machine got WAY louder and slower (even with pedal to the metal, etc). I noticed that the top thread in the stitches got loose (like the tension suddenly got off or something).

Anyway, it is an old machine, and I'm not sure how well maintained it had been before I got it--for $30--a couple of months ago, so I figured I'd open her up and clean+oil. I did so (following the instructions, no less!) and while the action runs smoother when I hand crank it when I plug it in to run it it is still loud and super slow.

What happened? I am super duper hoping that the engine itself didn't crap, because that sounds like something I couldn't fix. Is there hope? I want to finish my skirt so I can post it :(

here is a picture of my poor baby

Micomicona fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 22, 2009

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
Finally got this fixed, selling it.

It runs like an absolute champion. $75 if anybody is interested, comes with cabinet. I can ship without the cabinet if you're willing to make yourself a little stand out of 2x4's. If you're close or inbetween to Cleveland or Syracuse I'll drop it off. paleo.denim@gmail.com

RichBomb fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 26, 2009

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That looks like a great machine and I love the cabinet, its a shame I am nowhere near at all. I hope it goes to a good owner.

I need to express how much I hate setting sleeves. All the sleeves I've done before were either part of the body, or were fine gathered. I have been battling these stupid suit sleeves all weekend, and I've tried every technique I can find online. One thread easing, two thread easing, pin easing, hand-basting, I just seem to end up with a gather or a tuck or something somewhere no matter what I do.

kanteyluip
Aug 4, 2004

Mommy, I feel seasick.

Ashcans posted:

I need to express how much I hate setting sleeves. All the sleeves I've done before were either part of the body, or were fine gathered. I have been battling these stupid suit sleeves all weekend, and I've tried every technique I can find online. One thread easing, two thread easing, pin easing, hand-basting, I just seem to end up with a gather or a tuck or something somewhere no matter what I do.

Perhaps something went wrong during the cutting and your sleeves are simply a little too big around for your sleeve-holes?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

kanteyluip posted:

Perhaps something went wrong during the cutting and your sleeves are simply a little too big around for your sleeve-holes?

I was really careful at the cutting stage, and I checked the pieces against the pattern before I started sewing, so I don't think so. I've mentioned that this pattern is a little goofy in other ways, but all the other parts have actually fit together.

Even if I messed up or the pattern is wonky, I'm sort of wary about taking the sleeves in, because they're already slimmer than a typical suit. Wait, could I widen the sleeve-holes instead? Would that do anything weird to the cut?

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
I think it would be ok to widen the sleeve-holes down by the armpit. It's a problem I've run into myself, and even though it meant straying from the pattern, it worked.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
If you find yourself in Chicago and you need a duct tape dressform but are too lazy or don't have a second person to do it, The Needle Shop has begun offering it as a service (according to their latest newsletter, anyway). It's $80 but you just have to make an appointment and they'll make one for you right there. Kinda' cool if you want one but don't have the manpower or time to do it yourself.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
I have a leather question... A little earlier in the thread I mentioned having a renaissance festival costume custom made. Well I did, and it arrived.

Except the vest is a little too small. It's made of deerskin and it's really soft and sort of stretchy. Someone mentioned that I could stretch it out by getting it wet. I don't want to mess this up. Do I just soak it and stretch it or do I have to have it stretched while it dries? Like hang it up and have something heavy tied to it somehow. It's a little tight from the shoulders down and probably an inch short across my chest where the bone buttons are.

Attached is a photo. I had no idea what it was going to look like when I ordered it, I just trusted her. I had no idea the bottom was going to be that... trianglish and skimpy. Good thing I'm not modest. I'll hafta put sunscreen on my butt. The whole thing turned out really nice tho. She even made me a shoulder bag thing... I told her I wanted some way to carry a car key, really small camera and some money and thats what she came up with.

Seeing this really makes me want to try to make one on my own. I think it'd be a blast to try. The construction is really simple.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Acc-Risk posted:

Except the vest is a little too small. It's made of deerskin and it's really soft and sort of stretchy. Someone mentioned that I could stretch it out by getting it wet. I don't want to mess this up. Do I just soak it and stretch it or do I have to have it stretched while it dries? Like hang it up and have something heavy tied to it somehow. It's a little tight from the shoulders down and probably an inch short across my chest where the bone buttons are.
You can stretch and reshape leather by getting it wet, yes. What you want to do is fill the sink or a similar container with warm water - just tepid, because if the water is too hot it will actually shrink and thicken the leather! You just want to submerge the top, probably for ten minutes or so. You want to make sure the leather is really soaked through, but with deerskin that shouldn't be tough.

Once the leather is wet, you can take it out and carefully stretch it. I can't see how that top is made, but you want to be careful if there are any seams along the stretch line - soaking leather and tugging at it like this can also loosen those stitches, so if there are any seams, hold the leather and pull across the panels so you aren't straining the seam.

The best thing to do is actually to put the top on while it's wet, and then wear it until it dries. This does mean you're going to be wearing a damp leather top for a few hours, but it's the best way to guarantee that it will stretch properly to fit you. You can use other methods like stretching it over a board or with weights, but you're going to run the risk of 1) not doing enough and having the leather shrink back as it dries or 2) overdoing and stretching the leather too far.

Once the leather has dried, you will want to apply some sort of conditioner to it, because it can lose some of its suppleness. Neatsfoot, linseed, or olive oil are all workable if you can't get a hold of leather conditioner.

Things to be careful about : Depending on how the leather was treated, you might find that it leeches a little color when soaked. I haven't had leather actually discolor noticeably, but you can stain your clothes/self as a result. Leather is pliable, but you can only get so much give from it. It's hard to tell how big that top actually is, but be careful when you're stretching that you don't overdo it and tear the leather - deerskin isn't as tough as thicker leathers. If you're having trouble getting it to stretch enough, you can try soaking and stretching it multiple times instead of going the whole way in one go.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
I have a question for the handful of fashion students in this thread - are there any resources, courses, websites, books, whatever available for shoe-making? I've been doing research off and on and it seems to be the first craft in the history of the internet without good comprehensive information. There's a bit on the general idea (covering your last, drawing the pattern, cutting/sewing the upper) but it all sort of breaks down at the actual complex parts, namely things like attaching soles or creating heeled shoes. Originally I thought it would be a really fun craft to learn (and practical), but now I'm researching it more out of stubbornness. I know people have to learn this stuff somewhere - who else designs prototype and sample shoes? - and I'm at a total loss, unless the only way is to attend one of those $1,000 workshops run by people with horrendous websites. No luck looking at the local art college, either.

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 7, 2009

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
Hey Ashcans... Followed your advice to the tee and so far so good. It stretched a lot more than I thought it would so I'm thrilled. Thank you very much. I was pretty upset that it showed up so small. It's nice that I was able to fix it.

Now to make my own...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I'm glad that worked out for you!

Leather is fun to work with, it has a lot of variety in thickness and stiffness. You basically go from leather that is like fabric (ie, cut with scissors and sewn on a machine) all the way to stuff that hsa to be sawed and riveted together. Generally the tools are simple and cheap-ish, the primary cost is always the leather itself. I started out using it for straps and buckles, and the most complicated thing I tried was shoes.

There was actually a leather-working thread that never really took off, so I guess this is the best place for any questions you have. I'm sure someone besides me has messed around with it.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
I made a dress! It feels good to know I've designed, patterned and sewn my own dress when I've only been doing it since April :)

Reverend Cheddar fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 22, 2018

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Goldaline posted:

Always meant to learn cathedral window quilting--decided to try it in wool.

I know you're hardcore and all but goddamn, do you have a deathwish?

Of course, I'm the laziest quilter in the world so I shouldn't make fun...

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Ozma posted:

I know you're hardcore and all but goddamn, do you have a deathwish?

Of course, I'm the laziest quilter in the world so I shouldn't make fun...

:(: I think I do. Now I'm trying it in silk organza for shits and giggles. And maybe I'll de-gum it and turn it into china silk when I'm done.

I also have 3 scrappy quilt-tops in progress to get rid off all the freaking quilt fabric people have given me over the years. And getting a head-start on my senior show.

I am a loser~

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I have a zillion scraps/fat quarters given to me by my granny in law that I'm trying to burn through and it's taking forever. It's unfortunate because I'm way too lazy to do any complicated piecing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I have these in progress right now...I got a ton of little scraps from my professor's mother I'm trying to go through, plus all the old sheets/pillowcases I've accquired, so they're pretty scrappy looking.

'fancy stripe'

'string piecing'
I'm also trying to thiox (hell-bleach)a pair of pants tonight too, wish me luck~

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
Yay more quilts being made :) Ozma, I have the banana fabric that goes with those monkeys.

I took a class last month and learned how to make these blocks:

And my daughter made a fleecy bunny-thing pillow yesterday:

I am currently making what may be the world's loudest quilt, a nine-patch affair made with Kaffe Fassett and batik fabric. If it doesn't break my camera lens, I will subject you to a picture of it.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Ozma posted:

I have a zillion scraps/fat quarters given to me by my granny in law that I'm trying to burn through and it's taking forever. It's unfortunate because I'm way too lazy to do any complicated piecing.

I love your sock monkey print; do you know where you got it from or was it just from your granny?

And Handbags At Dawn, that cushion is very sweet. Lots of squealing teenage girls would pay for something like that- your daughter could earn some serious cash if she wanted to.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

madlilnerd posted:

I love your sock monkey print; do you know where you got it from or was it just from your granny?

Granny got it, but I've seen similar prints at the smaller fabric stores here (I actually found something very similar for another scrap quilt I made recently). I'll dig around my scrap bag for the edges to see if that sheds any light on the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

Ozma posted:

Granny got it, but I've seen similar prints at the smaller fabric stores here (I actually found something very similar for another scrap quilt I made recently). I'll dig around my scrap bag for the edges to see if that sheds any light on the deal.
It's a several-years-continuing line put out by Moda - "Funky Monkey" by Erin Michaels.

http://www.fatquartershop.com/Funky-Monkey-Fabric-Sock-Monkey-Fabrics-Moda.asp

They (Moda) use the sock monkey as kind of an unofficial mascot on some advertising stuff.

http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/stores_app/images/images_499/FunkyMonkey-15070-12-450.jpg