Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Allistar posted:

I'm not one to usually defend users that embed barely risque pictures in a post without warning or only linking them, but you are an outright IDIOT if you are browsing any personal, non-work related sites that you don't want anyone else to see (your boss, your coworkers, random person behind you) or detect that you're viewing (websense, other filters).
Nobody is going to complain if they walk by and see me reading non-work related stuff, especially because everyone here does it. Hell, I might glean something useful from this thread, and learn something new every day from SH/SC. If the wrong person sees a woman's rear end on my screen that, when viewed from a distance, doesn't look "barely risque", they will surely complain. Yes, it would ultimately be my fault for reading the thread at work, but it was unnecessary to post in the thread and could have just been a link. Call be a whiny bitch but it was unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windowlicker
Apr 4, 2003

Maybe your new to SA, but that's hardly the worst tiny little thumbnail you'll find on these forums.

If your at work, why don't you try working.

Anyways, I posted it based on a request from another user. Cry me a river.

Windowlicker
Apr 4, 2003

Allistar posted:

I'm not one to usually defend users that embed barely risque pictures in a post without warning or only linking them, but you are an outright IDIOT if you are browsing any personal, non-work related sites that you don't want anyone else to see (your boss, your coworkers, random person behind you) or detect that you're viewing (websense, other filters).

Truthfully on any other site I wouldn't. But if your browsing SA of all places, the least you should be worried about is a thumbnail in one thread.

If your boss loads this site, there's no way he's going to ONLY look in this section of the forums. What's he going to say when he stumbles across the others?

Good luck defending that.

Allistar
Feb 14, 2002

Regulation, aisle 8. Nerf, aisle 15.
For those wall-mounting their LCD HDTVs on the wall for PC monitor usage, what VESA mount are you using?

We're planning on getting an IKEA entertainment center that has a reinforced backing for wall mounting LCDs and trying to figure out what mount to get.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Allistar posted:

For those wall-mounting their LCD HDTVs on the wall for PC monitor usage, what VESA mount are you using?

Monoprice has a huge selection of ridiculously cheap VESA mounts. Most have holes for VESA 50, 75, and 100.

noydb
Mar 23, 2007
Can anyone post examples of "door desks"? I'm fascinated by the idea of making my own desk. I love a TON of room and big drawers. It's hard to find a desk that is durable and has a ton of space for less than $600.00. I've done some googling, but even with image search I can't find too many decent examples. Does anyone around here have a similar type desk?
I was thinking of getting a plain solid core door with the doorknob hole bored through it already at lowes. They sell them for 50 bucks and the doors are 1.5-2 inches thick. I could use the hole for my cabling. Was thinking of getting two filing cabinets to put this door on.
Anyhow, any good examples out there would be appreciated.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

noydb posted:

Can anyone post examples of "door desks"? I'm fascinated by the idea of making my own desk. I love a TON of room and big drawers. It's hard to find a desk that is durable and has a ton of space for less than $600.00. I've done some googling, but even with image search I can't find too many decent examples. Does anyone around here have a similar type desk?
I was thinking of getting a plain solid core door with the doorknob hole bored through it already at lowes. They sell them for 50 bucks and the doors are 1.5-2 inches thick. I could use the hole for my cabling. Was thinking of getting two filing cabinets to put this door on.

If you're interesting in building your own, you can also check into countertops. Doors work fine, but I don't think they look as nice, personally. IKEA sells some nice pieces of solid wood an inch and a half thick.

mons al-madeen
Jun 20, 2001

you will experience beer.

noydb posted:

My mom had one for years and years, it was just a door resting on top of two half-height file cabinets. There may have been some simple velcro holding the door to the file cabinets, too.

It was enormous and heavy but it fit her needs perfectly and it was exactly what she wanted. Then when she wanted it gone, it was a door and 2 file cabinets

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Nutt Hogg posted:

My mom had one for years and years, it was just a door resting on top of two half-height file cabinets. There may have been some simple velcro holding the door to the file cabinets, too.

It was enormous and heavy but it fit her needs perfectly and it was exactly what she wanted. Then when she wanted it gone, it was a door and 2 file cabinets

This is what I do in my office. It works really well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

noydb posted:

We do this with 2 metal / aluminum sawhorse looking things as support at work. It's efficient and easy to do. If you could find an older / weathered door and put a piece of glass or plexiglass over it it would probably be really cool

VanguardTruth
Mar 11, 2006

Da Troof

Grayham posted:

15" Macbook Pro on a Rain mStand
Asus VK246H 24"

This post inspired me to get my own mStand. I'll post pictures here when I get the chance, but it's awesome! Also, hey speaker buddy :buddy:

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Windowlicker posted:

If your at work, why don't you try working.

This is a loving dumb response and you know it.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
He incorrectly used "your" instead of "you're" multiple times.

Don't even bother.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

noydb posted:

Can anyone post examples of "door desks"? I'm fascinated by the idea of making my own desk. I love a TON of room and big drawers. It's hard to find a desk that is durable and has a ton of space for less than $600.00.

I don't want to deter you or anything if this is what you want to do, but I did the door desk thing for a while and I really didn't like it. I supported mine on cabinets and covered it in some cheap, black kitchen countertop material from Home Depot. The countertop stuff didn't look quite as nice as finished wood, but it was very easy to dust and keep clean. My biggest problem with the setup was the lack of depth, and also that I was never really able to get it to the height I wanted.

I ended up replacing it with a Galant from Ikea. This thing is deeper than most doors would be, you can still shove cabinets underneath it, and with one of the small extensions it's longer than a door as well. It's also not too expensive. I already posted this earlier in the thread, and it's a little bit out of date, but if you're curious this is what it looks like. I bought the largest tabletop/frame combo. I'm actually planning on cutting into this thing sometime in the near future to make a cable hole and a place to mount a USB hub so I can have some USB ports flush with the desk surface.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Paradoxish posted:

I don't want to deter you or anything if this is what you want to do, but I did the door desk thing for a while and I really didn't like it. I supported mine on cabinets and covered it in some cheap, black kitchen countertop material from Home Depot. The countertop stuff didn't look quite as nice as finished wood, but it was very easy to dust and keep clean. My biggest problem with the setup was the lack of depth, and also that I was never really able to get it to the height I wanted.

I ended up replacing it with a Galant from Ikea. This thing is deeper than most doors would be, you can still shove cabinets underneath it, and with one of the small extensions it's longer than a door as well. It's also not too expensive. I already posted this earlier in the thread, and it's a little bit out of date, but if you're curious this is what it looks like. I bought the largest tabletop/frame combo. I'm actually planning on cutting into this thing sometime in the near future to make a cable hole and a place to mount a USB hub so I can have some USB ports flush with the desk surface.
What speakers are those? I'm tired of having 5.1 speakers scattered all over the place.

Windowlicker
Apr 4, 2003

Juriko posted:

This is a loving dumb response and you know it.

Yeah, I know I'm in that minority that actually care about doing a good job at work.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Windowlicker posted:

Yeah, I know I'm in that minority that actually care about doing a good job at work.

Wow you're such a good worker that you never take breaks? My mind is blown.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Windowlicker posted:

Some people work salaried jobs that regularly ask employees to do 60+ hour weeks. Often at these jobs the person actually doesn't have 12+ hours of work to do, but instead needs to be on hand for things. During that time it is nice to have something to do at work other than sitting around. Hell often those salaried positions will want you around for a normal 8 hour day even though there is nothing for you to do right that moment because they are already paying you a flat rate.

This isn't that rare.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
Less off-topic banter, more pictures of desktops. I LITERALLY am getting off on all these pictures since I have no artistic talent whatsoever.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Erwin posted:

Monoprice has a huge selection of ridiculously cheap VESA mounts. Most have holes for VESA 50, 75, and 100.

Holy crap, I had no idea stands this cheap existed. I'm down for two!

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

innit

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cizzo posted:

What speakers are those? I'm tired of having 5.1 speakers scattered all over the place.

B&W DM303s. I salvaged these from my old home theater setup and I've had them forever, so I'm sure someone here can recommend something newer/more available. You might want to consider a pair of active studio monitors so you don't have to deal with a receiver (mine is hidden away under my desk, on top of my subwoofer).

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
I've decided that it's time to stop living like poo poo. What can I do for a cable tray? Lifehacker swears by this cable tray from IKEA

http://lifehacker.com/software/workspaces/hack-attack-the-cordless-workspace-sort-of-179911.php

but it's non-existent now. What's a good alternative?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Empty Pockets posted:

I've decided that it's time to stop living like poo poo. What can I do for a cable tray? Lifehacker swears by this cable tray from IKEA

http://lifehacker.com/software/workspaces/hack-attack-the-cordless-workspace-sort-of-179911.php

but it's non-existent now. What's a good alternative?

I bought two of those cable trays at the Seattle area Ikea about three weeks ago. Just call up a store and ask if they have any SIGNUM Horizontal Cable Management desk addons, they might still have some in stock.

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

Updated pic with my new AV40s. I love them so much, but goddamn they're huge. The display is 22" for reference.

CheeseDog
Apr 22, 2005

Hagrid: "An' they haven't invented a spell our Hermione can' do."

Priam posted:

Updated pic with my new AV40s. I love them so much, but goddamn they're huge. The display is 22" for reference.

that is a beautiful keyboard what model of logitec is it?

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

CheeseDog posted:

that is a beautiful keyboard what model of logitec is it?

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. Best I've ever owned.

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

Priam posted:

You should invest in some small speaker stands to get those up to ear level. Then they'll sound even better. :D

205b
Mar 25, 2007

Priam posted:

2209WA represent :respek:

If it's not too much trouble could you post your wallpaper?

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

liquidXenon posted:

2209WA represent :respek:

If it's not too much trouble could you post your wallpaper?

Sure.

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

It was a narcotics raid, not a Fritos raid.

yeah cat is included.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I don't know what it is about that image, but I set it as my wallpaper a soon as I saw it.

jt
Nov 23, 2004

I love Japan! All hail the glorious Nippon!

Found the desk second hand pretty cheap.. now just need to acquire a new apple cinema display and a mighty mouse to complete the setup.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

jt posted:

Found the desk second hand pretty cheap.. now just need to acquire a new apple cinema display and a mighty mouse to complete the setup.

Have you ever actually used a Mighty Mouse? Anything is better than that, including the original mouse for the IBM PS/2.

LE
Oct 19, 2002

Crowley posted:

Have you ever actually used a Mighty Mouse? Anything is better than that, including the original mouse for the IBM PS/2.

Now now, the Mighty Mouse isn't that bad. It beats the poo poo out of the puck.

The Mighty Mouse is one of those devices that some people hate and other people love. I dig it, but I think that is because my hand is of the right size where it doesn't start to hurt after a while. Anyone with big hands would best not use one of them.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

LE posted:

The puck may have been uncomfortable but at least it worked 100% for more than 3 days and they had the decency to put a motherfucking button on it.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

jt posted:

Doesn't it get really annoying reaching for things in those two compartments?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Doesn't it get really annoying reaching for things in those two compartments?

I think it's pretty cool and more about putting stuff somewhere where you can see it but not have it in your way and not about having things within reach. That's what semi-permeable glass is for.

The Mighty Mouse is actually pretty neat until the nipple gets clogged, and then it's just an okay mouse with a clogged nipple. You can clean it but it's still annoying.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

noydb posted:

Here's how I made mine - http://blog.leftnode.com/blog/entry/2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

LE posted:

The Mighty Mouse is one of those devices that some people hate and other people love. I dig it, but I think that is because my hand is of the right size where it doesn't start to hurt after a while. Anyone with big hands would best not use one of them.

It's not that it's uncomfortably shaped, it's that it will frequently stop working. There's also the issue that you can't rest your fingers on it like you usually use a mouse so you're having to float your fingers above the front of the mouse. That's annoying as hell, and frequently I'll accidentally be resting my middle finger where the right mouse button will be which causes the left mouse button to not work until I pick my finger up.

It's a lovely design that breaks often, requires constant cleaning, and is generally annoying to use for the reason I outlined above. For what the drat thing costs, there's no reason not to pick up the sexy magic that is a good Logitech.

The Mighty Mouse is the pinnacle of form in lieu of actual function. The puck isn't that much better. You have to pivot your entire hand in order to click the mouse, and this will frequently cause you to move the pointer slightly every time you click the mouse. This makes it annoyingly inaccurate. You'd think that with the legions of artists, editors, and design people that use Macs that Apple might actually talk to them about what sort of mouse they would want.

Those loving mice are the reason I started lugging my Logitech around with me to the video and audio editing suites while I was in university. Meanwhile, the PC labs had off-brand opticals that worked 100x better for a fraction of the cost. Apple, for some reason, just refuses to make a proper mouse. I love their products generally, but their mice are abortions that should have never been conceived.

To anyone who will defend these awful mice, don't tell me I have to get used to it. They're premium-priced mice that don't offer any features over conventional mice to justify getting used to anything. At this point we've pretty much perfected what a mouse is. There was a $15 Logitech 10 years ago with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel that was perfect. I shouldn't have to get used to a more expensive mouse in order to duplicate the functionality of something far cheaper and far more usable.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 24, 2009