Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Alf DVDs
Dec 2, 2004

*SLurpz*
I have a new love for Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation but I haven't been able to get into any other Sonic Youth albums (although i havent tried extremely hard). Ive never really been into indie. Can someone point me in the right direction? (can be SY, can be something else entirely)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I recently saw the 'Heaven' film clip for UNKLE.

I'd like to get into the artist, where's a good place to start?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Jadz posted:

Thanks for the edumacation. I'll make sure I'm not mixing them up in the future ;) And thanks for the recommendations, I'll have a listen at them.

EDIT: Wow, some of that is pretty good, but a lot of it (especially Vovin) is extremely operatic, which isn't quite what I'm after. I guess I was a little vague, since the bands I cited as examples have some of that stuff themselves.

Specific examples would be songs like "The Howling" and "What Have You Done?" by Within Temptation, "All Systems Go" and "Somebody Save Me" by Krypteria, "Spellbound" and "The Maze" by Lacuna Coil, "Bring Me to Life" and "Going Under" and "Sweet Sacrifice" by Evanescence (yeah I know, most people hate them). While I don't think this quite falls into the same category, I also like "I'm So Sick" by Flyleaf.

I hope that helps narrow down my tastes a little more. Thanks :)
I'm not familiar with those specific songs, but you might check out Lullacry's album Crucify My Heart. They're less frequently categorized as "gothic metal" as the other bands you mentioned (or the ones you were recommended) and are a bit poppier and leaning more towards rock (and way less operatic). The first half of the album is a whole lot of fun, especially Alright Tonight and the title track.

(I normally hate it when people make recommendations with limited familiarity with the references, but since you already got a recommendation that wasn't quite right I figured I'd go for it)

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

tranceMiNuS posted:

I'm making a playlist, and so far I have:
Beautiful Drug - Thievery Corporation <-- Epitome of the style I'm looking for
Talk Show Host - Radiohead
Six Underground - Sneaker Pimps
The Fuel - Sneaker Pimps

Basically, I'm looking for stuff that's sexy, downtempo, probably kind of triphoppy - stuff to shoot heroin and have sex to. Pandora has mostly been giving me meh stuff, any recommendations?

His Name is Alive - This Is Our Last Affair

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

tranceMiNuS posted:

The Fuel - Sneaker Pimps

Basically, I'm looking for stuff that's sexy, downtempo, probably kind of triphoppy - stuff to shoot heroin and have sex to. Pandora has mostly been giving me meh stuff, any recommendations?
It's not trip hop, but try Morphine. My favorite of theirs is "Cure For Pain," but "A Head With Wings" is probably a better fit for your mix.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

het posted:

you might check out Lullacry's album Crucify My Heart.

Thanks, I'll give them a listen :)

EDIT: I like it! Definitely interested in more stuff like that, thanks a lot!

Jadz fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 19, 2009

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Anything similar to:

The Dangerous Summer
The Starting Line
The Spill Canvas

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Yeast posted:

Start with their first, and best album - "Psyence Fiction". And nab the single 'Be There'. It's got Ian Brown on it, and should really have been on the album, rather than the instrumental version they put on there

boof
Jun 3, 2001
I really like Dan Deacon's album Bromst and want to explore his back-catalog but have no idea where to start. Anyone got any recommendations on what to get first?

The Bacon God
Oct 20, 2007

Himmelschreibende
Herzen

sky-writing hearts

boof posted:

I really like Dan Deacon's album Bromst and want to explore his back-catalog but have no idea where to start. Anyone got any recommendations on what to get first?

Go with Spiderman Of the Rings, it's the album that got everyone's attention, and if you want to get more of his music that came out before that, some of it is for free on his website here, but it's all much more experimental than Bromst or Spiderman Of The Rings.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Jadz: Dude, hello to my tastes like 3 years ago. Those bands were pretty much my <3. Whether you want to hear it or not, this is your entrance into metal. There's no going back now. :)

If you give me a few minutes I'll look through my library to see what I can find for you. Note: Each of the listed bands has a female vocalist in there somewhere, bar Nevermore.

PS: Het, Kudos to you for the Lullacry recommendation. That would have been my first.

Recommendtions
Aghora: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ9vrEMBznU
In This Moment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eecFm2iRo7Q
Nevermove: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a90HLwl6IfA
Nightwish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO4LyKd-Hws
Ram Zet: (this may be a stretch, but they've got some pretty great stuff. Wait a bit, the female vocals will kick in eventually, and make it worth the wait, imo) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy1Zmy6kiU8&feature=related
To-Mera:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU26_Z5_YLo

Hope this helps a bit. :/

Bean_ fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 21, 2009

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
I'm really into Santigolds song Creator. Anything that combines like her harsh lyrics and sick beats is where I'm at right now. I think it's called dubstep, right? Someone more knowledgeable on the subject let me know.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Bean_ posted:

PS: Het, Kudos to you for the Lullacry recommendation. That would have been my first.
Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more bands doing what they do. It seems like most of the bands that do that sort of metal opt for the more operatic style rather than the more pop/rock style Lullacry has (which I think really defines the music)

quote:

Ram Zet: (this may be a stretch, but they've got some pretty great stuff. Wait a bit, the female vocals will kick in eventually, and make it worth the wait, imo) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy1Zmy6kiU8&feature=related
If you like this more extreme metal style, The Project Hate MCMXCIX might work too (I like their album Armageddon March Eternal).

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Yeast posted:

Psyence Fiction is their best. It's their most "hip-hop" album, even though there's no real hip hop track on it. Good mix of heavy tracks (Guns Blazing) and calm nearly ballads (Bloodstain, Chaos).

If you liked Heaven you'll love Never, Never, Land. Not too different from Psyence Fiction, but they skipped blending hip hop in, so it's mostly an electronic album. My favorite tracks from it are What are you to me and Eye for an eye.

War Stories is okay, no real stand out tracks, and they moved onto making some electronic rock.

End Titles is terrible mostly, but has some great tracks, like Heaven and Nocturnal.

Also, my own request. I've recently heard Slowdive, who I really like, so I moved onto Mojave 3. Same people, but whole different sound. I really like some songs of theirs, such as In Love With a View and My Life in Art. Chill acoustic tracks with soft vocals, where should I go from here?

Also, I'm wondering, is Bat for Lashes anything like PJ Harvey?

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 21, 2009

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hey, this isn't really a regular request - I'm not looking for music artists themselves but rather.....a news hub of some kind that I can frequent that you guys would recommend.

I'm looking for something that talks mostly about anything from the non-dance universe of electronic music. I'm talking trip hop, downtempo, hip hop, fusion jazz (jazz at all is a huge plus). poo poo like cinematic orchestra, Mr Scruff, Tribe Called Quest, Tosca, Zero 7, Medeski Martin & Wood, Air, Quantic etc etc etc. You can see where my tastes go and you can see how old and out of date they are. I need to discover all the new artists that have grown from these guys as influences.

I'm finding it difficult these days to find the time to get lost in All Music branching out and discovering dozens of artists in a day so I'd love to be able to visit a single place that reports as these artists release albums and tour news and the like.

*edit* Maybe some information to add more context i dunno: All I do right now is check NinjaTune.net weekly to see what's up and what's new with their label.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 20, 2009

Falloutboy
Jul 8, 2003
Can anyone recommend any cool synth musicians that have a similar sound to this?

Terminator 1 (Starts at 0.26)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=recFW0dycRs&feature=related

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

het posted:

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more bands doing what they do. It seems like most of the bands that do that sort of metal opt for the more operatic style rather than the more pop/rock style Lullacry has (which I think really defines the music)

I just discovered In This Moment today. They seem to be up that alley, and would be worth looking into. Their last cd, "The Dream" is pretty drat good.
Their single "Forever" made it onto charts, and I'm pretty fond of "Lost at Sea" as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-0F6xYU4rw

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

DarkSun6890 posted:

I'm really into Santigolds song Creator. Anything that combines like her harsh lyrics and sick beats is where I'm at right now. I think it's called dubstep, right? Someone more knowledgeable on the subject let me know.

That's not dubstep, no. You should check out the other stuff Switch has produced, he just collaborated with Diplo on a project called Major Lazer.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Oz Fox posted:

I've been on a bit of a britpop kick recently, specifically the early Blur/Oasis albums. What have ya got?

The Charlatans,
Doves,
Supergrass,
Pulp.

Good places to start.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

tranceMiNuS posted:

The Fuel - Sneaker Pimps

Portishead, Cinematic Orchestra, Tricky, Nightmares on Wax, Bonobo, Amon Tobin

Zigmidge: Unfortunately I don't know of any good blogs / news sites covering lounge music, but what I used to do when I was spinning it and needed to find new artists was go label hopping, find an artist or compilation album you like (ministry of sound's chillout comps are good for a wide variety of popular stuff) and get random stuff from other artists signed to their label. It sounds like you're pretty familiar with Ninja Tune, so maybe try Eighteenth Street Lounge Music (thievery corp, ursula 1000, mm&w), Azuli (nouvelle vague, groove armada, lots of deep house), Mo' Wax (unkle, dj krush, dj shadow, blackalicious) and some of Warp's more downtempo stuff (luke vibert, seefeel, plaid). most labels also send out a monthly or weekly newsletter with new releases, events, merchandise and stuff. not sure if you'll like these but from the artists you posted it sounds like we have pretty similar taste so you can PM me too if you have plat.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 21, 2009

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Can anyone recommend some good pianists with strong vocals? Or just anything that has a great piano tune and good singing too.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

winvirus posted:

Can anyone recommend some good pianists with strong vocals? Or just anything that has a great piano tune and good singing too.

Well this one might be incredibly obvious but since I'm not sure if you want something newer or older or in what style, I'm going to recommend Regina Spektor because I've been listening to her a lot lately and I think she has a really good voice. Try her new album Far

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

winvirus posted:

I recommend Sarah Slean every chance I get. Check out her album Night Bugs.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Thanks for both of these. Pretty much exactly what I want. If anyone has anything else like this I'd be glad to hear! :D

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

winvirus posted:

You can't go wrong with Ben Folds, probably the most talented pianist in rock/pop music. I like the Ben Folds Five albums best (self-titled, Whatever and Ever, Amen, and The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner), but his first solo album Rocking the Suburbs is great too. After he got married and had a few kids and then got divorced, his later solo stuff has some great moments, but the albums as a whole don't capture my attention as much.

Oh, if you've only heard his late '90s single "Brick" and don't like it, his stuff is a LOT better than that, so don't worry. See if you can listen to "Army," or the songs "Free Coffee" and "Effington" off his newest album, Way To Normal.

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
I would also recommend hitting up a torrent site and looking for the leaked version of way to normal. Basically what they did is recorded a fake version of the whole album with the same titles but slightly different. It has some awesome songs and is totally worth it, and this isn't files sense it was a free release intentionally leaked.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm attempting to get into jazz (with virtually no knowledge of the subject other than a few [of the major] artists names).

I recently picked up on vinyl Herbie Hancock's Mr. Hands, which I loved, and The Revised Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz (Track listing here), in which I've only listened to a few sides (having gotten through most of the ragtime stuff I can that I am not a fan).

I really enjoyed the funk of Mr. Hands and Hancock's use of synthesizers.

I plan on getting some Miles Davis (though I doubt I'll see his "best" albums in a used vinyl bin (Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, Bitches Brew, etc.), but beyond him I don't really know where to go. Used jazz bins are full of what looks like poo poo (.99 cents for a record makes one very wary of its quality). I'd like something similar to Mr. Hands if that's possible. It's groovy and head-boppin'.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Alec Eiffel posted:

I plan on getting some Miles Davis (though I doubt I'll see his "best" albums in a used vinyl bin (Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, Bitches Brew, etc.), but beyond him I don't really know where to go. Used jazz bins are full of what looks like poo poo (.99 cents for a record makes one very wary of its quality). I'd like something similar to Mr. Hands if that's possible. It's groovy and head-boppin'.

Don't write off the discount bins, you can find a lot of hidden gems there.

Anyway, it sounds like you're into the more fusion/funk-oriented stuff. You already have some Herbie Hancock, so there's a good place to start. The original trio of albums with his Headhunters lineup are pretty essential - Headhunters, Thrust, and Man-Child.

Around this same general time you have Weather Report - Heavy Weather, Miles Davis - On the Corner and the Chick Corea/Return to Forever stuff which is a bit more rock-influenced. That should get you started on the fusion stuff, if you want some more straight-ahead jazz try looking back through a few pages of this thread, I know there have already been some good jazz lists posted.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

winvirus posted:

Jack's Mannequin
Something Corporate

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
I'm really interested in the use of violin mixed with contemporary music. Stuff like Nuttin but stringz (hip hop) and Vanessa Mae (techno).

Any other similar artists ?

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.

winvirus posted:

You might want to try checking out Jukebox the Ghost, too!

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I need some punk recommendations. I've owned London Calling for a long time and I have Nevermind the Bollocks. I'm not too much of a fan of Nevermind the Bollocks and I love London Calling. I hope I'm not being too vague here.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

I need some punk recommendations. I've owned London Calling for a long time and I have Nevermind the Bollocks. I'm not too much of a fan of Nevermind the Bollocks and I love London Calling. I hope I'm not being too vague here.

Sounds like my taste as far as punk goes -- I like the stuff that uses punk as one influence among others but I'm not big on pure punk itself. Maybe check out some other punk/something else hybrid groups like Gang of Four (Entertainment!, Solid Gold) and the Gun Club (Fire of Love, Miami)?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Godzilla07 posted:

This is still pretty broad but try the Swingin' Utters, I'm pretty sure you'll like them. IMO their best is Five Lessons Learned.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Could anyone recommend some hard rock or metal bands that make decent use of the piano? I've been listening to a lot of Anathema lately, and I love the piano parts. But I'd like the non piano parts to be a bit heavier.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Recently heard Tom Waits' first album Closing Time and I absolutely love the track Closing Time. It's a slow jazz instrumental, with a muted trumpet carrying the lead with piano, double bass and drums. Nuts about that muted trumpet sound.

Can anyone recommend me something quite similar? it's a pretty cinematic song, sounds like it could be in the soundtrack to a film noir. Really like the Taxi Driver soundtrack so an ost along those lines would be great too.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Secx posted:

I'm really interested in the use of violin mixed with contemporary music. Stuff like Nuttin but stringz (hip hop) and Vanessa Mae (techno).

Any other similar artists ?

Check out Owen Pallett also known as Final Fantasy (not the video game, goons!) he makes kind of indie pop / baroque pop and is also a really impressive solo violinist, he also does the string stuff for Arcade Fire. i cant really think of other bands with JUST violin but some that have songs with string sections are Rachel's, Belle & Sebastian, Andrew Bird, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Rufus Wainwright, The National and Arcade Fire as previously mentioned. Actually check out basically anything described as Baroque Pop as it's basically chamber music + indie pop rock, and a good number of bluegrass, celtic or gypsy folk fusion bands have fiddlers in them too if that's more your style (Gogol Bordello, DeVotchKa, The Decemberists, The Corrs, etc)

on a slightly stranger bent, try Frog Pocket - celtic fiddle mixed with IDM/breakcore

vvv (long belated edit but one of the posts below reminded me i forgot Beirut who is also excellent!)

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 25, 2009

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.
Can anybody recommend more bands along the lines of Sixteen Horsepower, Woven Hand, and Murder By Death? I really dig on the sort of dark traditional sound, like the apocalypse happening in the old west or whatever. Anything with a similar sound or vibe would be great. I also really enjoy Beirut, so I guess more along those lines would be fine too.

Thanks!

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

Chexmix posted:

Can anybody recommend more bands along the lines of Sixteen Horsepower, Woven Hand, and Murder By Death? I really dig on the sort of dark traditional sound, like the apocalypse happening in the old west or whatever. Anything with a similar sound or vibe would be great. I also really enjoy Beirut, so I guess more along those lines would be fine too.

Thanks!

those poor bastards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhq55-zWXQA

the drones (maybe not what you're looking for but i think they have the same 'sound')
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUnQ3F2Rwq4

nick cave has a dark sound too and the vocalist from 16 h/woven hand reminds me of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

I'm looking for Polish-language music, and dark is good. D-Alternative is the best I've found so far. Any recommendations along similar sonic lines would be appreciated. :)