Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Putting some more work into Lost. Halfway through season 2 now, still don't see what the hubub is about. The characters are about the only thing keeping me going though. Way too many cases of "This is easier than it should be.", so much so that it's driving me up a wall half the time.

Good show still, though. Just not ZOMG like it's been characterized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
Watched all of Twin Peaks (then Fire Walk With Me) this past week. While the movie was rather blah, the series is probably the best TV show I've seen. I just can't get over how good it was. It caught my interest from the very start and didn't let go (and poo poo, with the way it ended, it still hasn't).

Then today I read that Kyle Maclachlan was interviewed for... something, and he said he's thinking about reviving Twin Peaks as a series of five-minute webisodes. I don't even know what to say to that, other than a huge part of me would kill to see him drink some drat fine coffee or talk into a tape recorder again.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

quaunaut posted:

Putting some more work into Lost. Halfway through season 2 now, still don't see what the hubub is about. The characters are about the only thing keeping me going though. Way too many cases of "This is easier than it should be.", so much so that it's driving me up a wall half the time.

Good show still, though. Just not ZOMG like it's been characterized.

I know a lot of people would disagree with me on this, but for me Lost is a show that's best enjoyed over a long time period rather than marathoning it. I enjoy the stewing over what's happened between episodes and discussing theories in the threads here - people can pick up on details that you miss and it's acttually more enjoyable being able to predict the HOLKY gently caress moments (of which Lost produces more than any other show) way before they actually happen than it is being surprised by them. I think that if I'd marathoned it up to this point I wouldn't have enjoyed it half so much.

Then again, a lot of people prefer to watch it all in one go and find they don't have the patience once they're caught up and are watching it week-to-week.

Pyramid Head
Dec 31, 2007

RoryGilmore posted:

I'm probably going to go through the X-Files next. I caught some of it during its live run, and I've seen dozens of repeats on TNT in the early morning, but I'd like to watch it in its entirety.

I just started watching the first season of the X-Files (after having seen various, random episodes on TV over the years, like yourself) and have to say that it's not as good as I thought it would be. I really can't stand the mytharc episodes, and the monster of the week ones are hit or miss. It's not holding my interest like I thought it would.

That said, I've enjoyed a few episodes quite a bit ("Ice," "Beyond the Sea") and am going to finish up the season and start 2 soon. People have told me that seasons 3-5 are really amazing and a quick visit to Wikipedia indicated that some of the enjoyable, random episodes I caught on TV are in those seasons.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The first season of X-Files is pretty loving corny but if you can make it past that there is some truly great TV ahead.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Pyramid Head posted:

That said, I've enjoyed a few episodes quite a bit ("Ice," "Beyond the Sea") and am going to finish up the season and start 2 soon. People have told me that seasons 3-5 are really amazing and a quick visit to Wikipedia indicated that some of the enjoyable, random episodes I caught on TV are in those seasons.

I absolutely agree, season 1 is really slow (except Ice, which is fab), but it really does pick up in 3-5. I'm not sure what the rest of the internet thinks about this, but personally season 6 is my favorite. It has some of my favorite episodes, including "Triangle" and "The Unnatural," my favorites of the whole show; plus "Dreamland," "SR819," "Monday," and "Three of a Kind" are all great. I'm looking through the wikipedia list now and there are so many great ones that season.

Unfortunately, after season 6, the show really goes downhill, and like was said earlier, some of seasons 8-9 are basically unwatchable, though the finale is great and there are a few good ones scattered here and there.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

"Ice" is pretty much just a ripoff of The Thing though, I don't know why it gets such high praise. "Squeeze" and "Tooms" are my personal favorites from the first season.

Season 3 does have my absolute favorite episode though, "Clyde Bruckman's Final Response" guest starring Peter Boyle in a role that won him the Academy Award for Outstanding Guest Actor back in 1995.

The Duke fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 20, 2009

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bonk posted:

FINALLY started my Babylon 5 binge after a few false starts because I didn't have the time. The jump in quality from the pilot movie to the first episode is amazing, both in CG and presentation.

I think this is one of the best arguments for watching the pilot movie. It's all relative.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Noxville posted:

I know a lot of people would disagree with me on this, but for me Lost is a show that's best enjoyed over a long time period rather than marathoning it.
Actually, most Lost fans will agree with you on this. You miss a ton of stuff when you watch it all at once. If you can't wait, at least pause between discs to read up a little about each episode to see what other people have spotted. It's not so much like this anymore since the end-date has caused them to tell stories at a much faster pace, but it's still pretty jam-packed with callbacks and literary references and themes that you'd never notice if you breezed through it.

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

I think this is one of the best arguments for watching the pilot movie. It's all relative.

I didn't even think The Gathering was all that bad, story-wise anyway. The acting was terrible and the effects look straight out of an old Sierra PC game, but it's not a bad story in itself. I think the writing is what's keeping me into it, even if the look of it is pretty weak so far. All I can say is thank god they ditched some of the weaker cast members before fleshing out the rest of the series.

[edit]VVVV I never skip anything anyway, I'm the same way. :)

Bonk fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 20, 2009

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bonk posted:

I didn't even think The Gathering was all that bad, story-wise anyway. The acting was terrible and the effects look straight out of an old Sierra PC game, but it's not a bad story in itself. I think the writing is what's keeping me into it, even if the look of it is pretty weak so far. All I can say is thank god they ditched some of the weaker cast members before fleshing out the rest of the series.

Yeah the writing is usually B5's strong point. I have always been a "watch everything" kind of viewer though, I remember when you were considering beginning B5, I tried to prepare you for some of the problems it had early on, but I never told you "skip this episode" or "don't watch the pilot" like some others did.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just finished all of Full Metal Alchemist, as well as the movie. An excellent show.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
Well, my friend and I just had the biggest loving blue balls moment in the entire world. He's currently going through the West Wing for the first time, and I figured it'd be fun to revisit, so we organised to marathon all of season 2. Unfortunately circumstances conspired against us, he could only get to my house late, and we have to be somewhere else in a couple of hours, so we've been required to stay up very late, not get much sleep, and pretty much not move from our seats.

To anyone who's seen the West Wing, you know what we were building up towards. You know that the best hour of television was awaiting us at the end. We're exhausted. We're loving half dead. But the reward would be great and bountiful.

Not so. Another friend of mine was borrowing the DVDs up until just before this, and we've just discovered that they're scratched. It's minor for the most part, except for one episode. One episode doesn't work. Two Cathedrals.

The bluest balls. In the world.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just finished all of Full Metal Alchemist, as well as the movie. An excellent show.

I don't really like anime all that much, but Full Metal Alchemist is one of my favorite shows ever. Some parts brought me on the verge of tears they were so depressing.

Too bad the ending/movie was pretty lovely in my opinion.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
After finally going through the Wire (again) I'm starting to watch Deadwood. I blindly bought it even though I'm not a real fan of westerns, but I'm actually liking it.

i2evielle
Feb 21, 2006
I would have to say for me it has been Dexter. With the reveal of who is going to be in it this coming season I couldn't wait anymore and popped in the dvd's and have been breezing through the episodes in my spare time.

Maia
Aug 15, 2003

Sweet.

Jiminy Cricket posted:

edit: it's interesting that Martin Starr plays practically the adult version of his character from Freaks and Geeks on Party Down

Yeah. I think, though, that Bill is a much sweeter (and maybe slightly dumber) character than Roman. Although maybe that's what college does to you.

I just got caught up with Breaking Bad between the DVDs and generous DVR owning friends. Great show. Awful thread here, though. It's the best thing I've ever seen Krysten Ritter do... I generally can't stand her (I thought she was terrible in Veronica Mars), but I was impressed by her on Breaking Bad.

Now I'm on the first disc of Huff. Also have season 4 of Weeds to start.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Maia posted:

Yeah. I think, though, that Bill is a much sweeter (and maybe slightly dumber) character than Roman. Although maybe that's what college does to you.

If you pretend Starr's character from that one episode of Undeclared is Bill in college it becomes even more hilarious.

Infernus
Nov 17, 2007
Don't just stare at it, eat it

The Duke posted:

If you pretend Starr's character from that one episode of Undeclared is Bill in college it becomes even more hilarious.
Technically he was still in high school and visiting college, but it could be what Bill would have been like after 3 years of high school.

Autarch Kade
May 6, 2008
I've been watching Lexx lately. It's a different show than what I'm used to but I find it absolutely hilarious.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I don't completely understand the love for Burn Notice. Yeah, the first season was sorta fun to watch, but it falls into a similar problem as Chuck where every time they try to drama (as opposed to laughs/action) it tends to fall flat. The problem is that burn notice takes itself a lot more seriously, and, well, if you're going to try and have a serious plot, you should probably try and make it good. I stopped watching burn notice at the end of the first season. Come to think of it, has any spy show gone well? It seems like they either start well and end up as a self parody, like Alias, or start as a self parody, like Chuck.

Chuck ends up being much better, because whenever something campy and ridiculous happens, it feels like it's intentional and that you're in on the joke. Stargate did this off and on, but Chuck really made full use of the self-conscious humour.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a cheesy show, the writers and actors know it's cheesy, but they still play it straight. You have to appreciate the cheese to like the show. That said, season 2 is a nice improvement in all ways. Great guest actors and nearly all the questions are answered. Season 3 is sort of a fresh start.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I'm in the middle of The West Wing, the first two seasons were great but this third season is hard to get through. Hoping it'll get better by the fourth season.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first 2 episodes of season 4 are my favorite West Wing episodes. It sort of goes downhill the rest of season 4, then the show goes even further down on 5 and 6. In the middle of season 6 it starts to get good again, but it's not the same West Wing. It's a different non-Sorkin show but they do a good job. Basically, stick with it, but it will get worse before it gets better.

Nothing To See Here
Apr 14, 2009
Whale Wars from Animal Planet, I'm catching up on season one and have watched 5 of the 7 episodes from yesterday afternoon and will finish season one by the end of the night.

Season Two looks promising as well.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Tailored Sauce posted:

I'm in the middle of The West Wing, the first two seasons were great but this third season is hard to get through. Hoping it'll get better by the fourth season.

How far through season 3 are you? Because I thought it had a lousy start - Sept. 11 special was god awful and the other episodes lack a lot of the polish that was taken out by spending the time to make the Sept. 11 episode. I think it does pick up a lot, though. There are some really excellent episodes in the latter half - obligatory Marbury appearance is excellent, the Shareef plotline at the end has an incredibly emotional conclusion for Bartlet - I think it's up there with the first two seasons. And I agree completely about the first two episodes of season 4.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh gently caress, that 9/11 episode was a trainwreck. I remember there is a dumbshit kid that asks something like "Aren't all muslims terrorists?"

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

SecretFire posted:

burn notice

I've only just started season 2, but honestly, Bruce Campbell just makes the show for me. The rest of it is fun but he just cracks me up.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

How far through season 3 are you? Because I thought it had a lousy start - Sept. 11 special was god awful and the other episodes lack a lot of the polish that was taken out by spending the time to make the Sept. 11 episode. I think it does pick up a lot, though. There are some really excellent episodes in the latter half - obligatory Marbury appearance is excellent, the Shareef plotline at the end has an incredibly emotional conclusion for Bartlet - I think it's up there with the first two seasons. And I agree completely about the first two episodes of season 4.

I'm on episode 10 of Season 3 at the moment.

Regarding the 9-11 episode, I was expecting an actual terrorist plot that the administration had to deal with, but yeah I would agree the 9-11 episode was terrible.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Tailored Sauce posted:

Regarding the 9-11 episode, I was expecting an actual terrorist plot that the administration had to deal with, but yeah I would agree the 9-11 episode was terrible.

Especially coming just after Two Cathedrals if you're going right through. I think one of the reasons for the earlier episodes being less good is that they're very typical of one of the few flaws in Sorkin's writing, and that's not doing story arcs very well. Yeah, the MS breaks but it's mostly business as usual. There are some legal things but they're spattered over 10 episodes, rather than being the focus of the show. The new characters that aren't Bruno are all annoying. So it feels like there's no focus. It gets better, trust me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh gently caress, that 9/11 episode was a trainwreck. I remember there is a dumbshit kid that asks something like "Aren't all muslims terrorists?"
It was inanely dull, yeah, but considering the atmosphere at the time of the attack it was seemed somewhat bold of them to go with it nonetheless.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
About 3/5 of the way through Six Feet Under and man what a terrible show to binge. I love it but god if it isn't like an emotional punch to the gut with every episode.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Kaleidoscope posted:

About 3/5 of the way through Six Feet Under and man what a terrible show to binge. I love it but god if it isn't like an emotional punch to the gut with every episode.

Just wait until the final episode. My girlfriend and I binged through the last season and she loved the final episode. We still talk about it several weeks later.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I'm on the last season of Angel. I was really hung over watching the end of season 4, and I actually ended up missing the finale of it cause I was asleep and then I accidentally skipped the last episode. Whoops. I'll re-watch it tonight even though I'm a few episodes into season 5 already.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Finish all of the 1970s BBC Survivors series. I thought it was very well done, especially for the time. You have to kind of ignore some odd continuity issues sometimes, but they occasionally took the show in some surprising directions. It's fantastic for someone who really wants to get into the 'how do you live after an apocalypse' question that is never really addressed in detail in movies. Is the new version worth watching?

That means I've seen all of Blake's 7 and Survivors without watching any Doctor Who!

Then finally finishing second season of Breaking Bad.

Still slowly making my way through Cupid, which is worth it for Jeremy Piven, but still really loving 90s.

Started Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, which is decently funny but sometimes tries too hard.

Being Human is a British show about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost getting an apartment together. It was fun at first, but I was kind of losing interest by the end. They change several actors from the pilot and I really liked the original actress for the ghost (darkly sarcastic and a thick accent) more than the replacement ('hotter', mopier, less funny, less of an accent). It was best when it wasn't trying to be too serious.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
I am midway through season 1 of "Brotherhood".

Without spoilers, tell me if Tommy's goddamned wife either gets better or goes away.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Pascallion posted:

That means I've seen all of Blake's 7 and Survivors without watching any Doctor Who!

You needn't check out any Terry Nation stories, that man is a loving humanitarian hero when it comes to recycling of ideas.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Just started watching Deadwood. The scenes involving Hickock (my respect for Carradine has gone up a thousand percent) and Swearengen are goddamn intense. I'm also loving how the plot is so simple, but at the same time is very engaging and superbly acted.

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 26, 2009

Cikala
May 4, 2004

by elpintogrande

Gatekeeper posted:

Watched all of Twin Peaks (then Fire Walk With Me) this past week. While the movie was rather blah, the series is probably the best TV show I've seen. I just can't get over how good it was. It caught my interest from the very start and didn't let go (and poo poo, with the way it ended, it still hasn't).

Then today I read that Kyle Maclachlan was interviewed for... something, and he said he's thinking about reviving Twin Peaks as a series of five-minute webisodes. I don't even know what to say to that, other than a huge part of me would kill to see him drink some drat fine coffee or talk into a tape recorder again.

drat good coffee....AND HOT!

The Duke
May 19, 2004

I've been stockpiling shows for when I get bored at home this summer and I just started watching Mad Men season 1 (pretty good so far), and I'm going to be starting on True Blood and Scrubs (season 2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Rescue Me - again.

It gets a little soap operay in Season 3 if I remember but I can get through that.